• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mailbox

Not gonna vote for 2015 anime this time around. Haven't watched Shirobako, snow white, or noragami (among others), so i feel like my opinion on the year is kinda moot right now.

Erased 4
I can see why people thought the animation and some of the art wasn't up to the super high quality we saw so far. A few shots did feel bare in animation or stiff, but it was rare, so I can't complain too much here.

This episode was really heartwarming though. Gave the audience a very good feel of how panicked and unsure Satoru is of how he's doing things.

A1 needs to lay off the red eyes at this point. For the first 2-3 episodes i was fine with it since now it seems to have been about establishing a who-dun-it visual marker to the audience, but since its appearing on characters more than once, it feels slightly tacky. I think the scene we see the red eyes in this episode shouldn't have had them. or at least, not as bright as they were. Maybe my issue is with the brightness of the eyes rather than the redness themselves. idk.

While the last few episodes showed hinazuki's parents as being monsters, here through some subtlety it felt more like her father was apathetic and her mother has problems keeping herself together (i'm basically assuming this via body language and a few visual cues shown in this episode). Made things feel slightly more grounded to me. idk.

The end of this episode felt a LOT better and smoother than the end of episode 3. No tacky horror strings or anything like that, just pure understandable panic.

This episode also made me realize how much I like the score. There are a few standout tracks that just really really work with the scenes they are implemented in.

Show is still ace 4 episodes in. Here's to hoping it stays that way :3

Narag

Not gonna vote for 2015 anime this time around. Haven't watched Shirobako, snow white, or noragami (among others), so i feel like my opinion on the year is kinda moot right now.

Negative. You shouldn't feel you needed to watch certain shows to validate your post in the eyes of others.

Branduil hates anime. He doesn't even watch it anymore!

That part will come once he's done with E7!

Rakugo - 04

Good stuff once more. So, turns out I really like following the Rakugo if it's well performed. I wasn't fond of following all of the bad performance in episode 2 but at least I can argue I wasn't supposed to in order to get the situation better.

This lady seems hella fake, wonder where this is going.

Mailbox

Negative. You shouldn't feel you needed to watch certain shows to validate your post in the eyes of others.

Oh, no its not about validation from others.

I just personally feel that if I don't give all the good anime of the year a fair shot, then I can't say what was the best for me. So far as i've watched, death parade, OPM, your lie in april, and Owarimonogatari top out my list, but idk if that would change if I watched the other stuff I either skipped out on or was too lazy to watch.

I felt so uncomfortable in voting last year having not (and still not) watched ping pong that I just feel like I couldn't do it.

I can say what I liked, sure, but ranking and solidifying it? Can't.

TUSR

Banned

uh84GID.png

Overlord 7 & 8

I just love how badass and uncaring protag is. He really has no fucks to give and just wrecks shop wherever he goes.

I feel bad for that group. They got turned into zombies, and with protag being his usual self, he cuts them down without hesitation. I at least thought he would have some magic or potion that would turn them back normal, but nah, haha.

TUSR

Banned
Please tell me! Galko-chan Episode 4 – Is It True That You Can't Help Moaning?

Ive been enjoying all the shorts for the last few seasons more than standard episodes.

Overlord 9

Holy shit yo! That was one of them old school curb stompings. Nabe was a beast, and protag is amazing.
Literally squeezed the life and soul out of that annoying chick.
And had fun doing it. I need more anime where the main characters just assert their dominance over everyone they fight.

Exalted

Overlord 9

Holy shit yo! That was one of them old school curb stompings. Nabe was a beast, and protag is amazing.
Literally squeezed the life and soul out of that annoying chick.
And had fun doing it. I need more anime where the main characters just assert their dominance over everyone they fight.
Yeah, i loved this episode, that ending scene was very satisfying.

Overlord 10

Good lord, Shalltear's true form is disgustingly hideous. It's a lot creepier than I thought it would be.

Knew she didn't willingly turn on her peoples.
I hope this whole thing isn't drawn out too long. One episode is what I'm hoping for.

Yeah, i loved this episode, that ending scene was very satisfying.
It really was.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Oshiete Galko-chan 4
Oh, pubic hair in random place, that's one way to get into awkward situation.
Mizu Asato still winning in pubic hair jokes though,

blurr

Ika Musume 12 END

Great show from start to finish. Very consistently funny and well presented with diverse shorts. Recommend watching if you are looking for something light.

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju Episode 4

Well that is not the romance anyone signed up for. And she is so pushy and touchy!

Gate Episode 16

I like how even in 2016 our jets are still not able to be as comparable to Dragons in terms of maneuverability and weaponry.

Durarara!! X2 The Third Arc Episode 28 – Blood is Thicker Than Water
Its painful being a Kida Masaomi fan, why he being fought on all sides, and I never put him as strong, hes my favorite but this is just so unfair. Please dont get hurt. Save Mikadp.

The saika stuff is so interesting now that its being explored in detail.

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah, the episode was set-up really awkwardly and the direction was pretty bad.

I actually really liked the premise and art direction during the episode. Then the ending just feels like, "Shit we ran out of time. Just throw a bunch of lines in there and call it a day."

blurr

Sekkou Boys 04

This was a pretty hilarious episode, despite the predictable humor. Just the fact that Giorgio's a statue is refreshing.

Oshiete Galko-chan 04

I've enjoyed this a lot too, I could even use 26min episodes of this, pretty relaxing to watch and funny.

Also GAF, help me decide what to watch next:

Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls
Maria the Virgin Witch

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Sekkou Boys 04

This was a pretty hilarious episode, despite the predictable humor. Just the fact that Giorgio's a statue is refreshing.

Oshiete Galko-chan 04

I've enjoyed this a lot too, I could even use 26min episodes of this, pretty relaxing to watch and funny.

Also GAF, help me decide what to watch next:

Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls
Maria the Virgin Witch

Both are good, but i'll pick Maria the virgin witch due to humor and theme that goes with it.

Cornbread78

I actually really liked the premise and art direction during the episode. Then the ending just feels like, "Shit we ran out of time. Just throw a bunch of lines in there and call it a day."

The premise was fine to further develop Reina, however, the story didn't flow very well, especially at the end like you said.

Oh god this daddy shit in Gate is fucking insufferable.

Rory was badass at least.

Bubuki Buranki Episode 4

Why cant this be a 48+ episode anime, wheres the cards game or the arcade game, I need more Bubuki duels aspect as it shot the anime up several levels in terms of goodness.

Hii-kun is such a funny leader lol.

I think I missed or they didnt go over it clearly, how Kogane (kid) had met Akana (kid) in the flashback?

Gundam AGE 49 (End)

Well, Kio's and the subsequent terribly-paced arc was a bad way to end this on. At least that's over with now. Just 00 and SEED left.

Bubuki Buranki - 04

I made it five minutes into the episode before I couldn't take it anymore, and started to skim through the episode in hope for giant robots fighting each other.
There were no giant robots fighting each other.

Future card buddyfight:100 (hundread) episode 42
tumblr_o1s3pkekqq1qbxqfpo2_540.png
tumblr_o1s3pkekqq1qbxqfpo1_540.png

Magic Realm Fantasista Selle is a great card that I didnt even know existed before now. Can he play more soccer please.

Good tag team buddyfight the Yo Yo Yo attack was stunning.

Just T

Dagashi Kashi: 4

This was a straight episode. However, I can't remember who pointed it out last week but now i can't stop focusing on the glare/ shiny spots in Hotaru's hair. It's like a bleach stain.

John Blade

95eeb048706191a726c99f901f72f3721363274617_full.jpg

This movie remind me a bit of Studio Ghibli style movie (more on that later). I actually don't mind this movie and it's kinda weird for a movie to target to children while the subject matter is a bit on the adult side (life and death). You don't see this type of subject matter targeting to children too often in move.

The story line is interesting enough to keep your attention span but at the same time not too hard to follow or get confuse. The mysterious idea of the story or fork tale which is tell in the movie got my attention as it was interesting to heard about them when the characters is discussing. Also, in a way, they was a fork tale which kinda foreshadowing a future event in the movie.

Back to the remind me of Ghibli movie, this entire movie have the same atmosphere of Ghibli style movie and you can see this in the setting and the animation. It feel like the creator was trying to copy the feel of Ghibli movie which isn't really a bad thing but in a way, it literally just copy so many of Ghibli stuff which make this movie lack of unique look by itself.

They is enough character development of the main characters you follow by either flash back telling you each of the characters the purpose of trying to find a way to bring the death to life. Still, it feel like they isn't much more it can try to tell in the movie as what they give you is enough to push the plot of the movie.

Still, with the flaw, the animation still look nice to see both in background and character. I don't watch this director entire work but from what I see, it still look nice to watch.

Also, the sound match well with the tone of movie and work quite well in quite a few scene.

Overall, a fun movie with some flaws. I don't know if this is one of the director best movie but will say it's the most interesting to watch. I guess if you like the director work or if you're interested a bit in life and death or bring the death back to life story line, this might be something to look into.

Rainy

Banned
Shirobako 19

This was my favorite episode of the series so far. Seeing Yano return and handle everything with such a calm head was just cool, for lack of a better word. Also her interaction with Hiraoka was interesting, sheds a bit more background on him for the first time really.

The second half of the episode made a tad bit emotional. All of those scenes at the old Musashino were too good. Okura's background was also downright beautiful.

Nice tough with that Chucky ED too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom