• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Subete ga F ni naru 01-02
014270lpsva.jpg
014259n3kku.jpg

I'm rather meh on the show so far but given this ending, you could say it has only now begun. I hope I'll still get to see a lot of scenes with Dr Magata cause her bits held my interest the most.

----

Someone remind Theonik to fill in his reservation post. :p

Subete ga F ni naru 01-02

I'm rather meh on the show so far but given this ending, you could say it has only now begun. I hope I'll still get to see a lot of scenes with Dr Magata cause her bits held my interest the most.

You will. She's perhaps my least favorite part of the show though.

Clov

Magata was actually my favorite part of the show. I found her to be
a very fascinating, yet incredibly disturbing individual.

Narag

Same here. Think dimb nailed it when he said the meat of the show was examining how differently the three main characters operate mentally compared to normal people.

Magata was actually my favorite part of the show. I found her to be
a very fascinating, yet incredibly disturbing individual.

She is interesting, but she feels artificially constructed. I get that she's deliberately intended to come across as inhuman, someone beyond our understanding, but that makes it difficult for me to care about what's happening to her, and consequently about the mystery as a whole on any level beyond an intellectual exercise. Moreover, I find the portrayal of her as sympathetic, even desirable -
a sort of Nietzsche-esque superhuman figure whose genius liberates her from having to follow the rules of morality that us lesser mortals abide by
- to be repugnant. (Similarly the philosophy she espouses -
a Gnostic hatred of the flesh, a belief in the superiority of death over life
- is distasteful, if not downright evil.) Not to mention the whole
13-15 year old seduces her uncle, gets pregnant by him, and proceeds to kill her parents and eventually her daughter and uncle
- gross on so many levels. The character study angle of Perfect Insider comes across very poorly when compared with, say, Mouryou no Hako, which follows a group of very flawed people but whose flaws are understandably human and not excused.

But as I've said, it's an interesting show and the kind of thing I like to see in anime even if I'm not too fond of this in particular.

Clov

She is interesting, but she feels artificially constructed. I get that she's deliberately intended to come across as inhuman, someone beyond our understanding, but that makes it difficult for me to care about what's happening to her, and consequently about the mystery as a whole on any level beyond an intellectual exercise. Moreover, I find the portrayal of her as sympathetic, even desirable -
a sort of Nietzsche-esque superhuman figure whose genius liberates her from having to follow the rules of morality that us lesser mortals abide by
13-15 year old seduces her uncle, gets pregnant by him, and proceeds to kill her parents and eventually her daughter and uncle
- gross on so many levels. The character study angle of Perfect Insider comes across very poorly when compared with, say, Mouryou no Hako, which follows a group of very flawed people but whose flaws are understandably human and not excused.

But as I've said, it's an interesting show and the kind of thing I like to see in anime even if I'm not too fond of this in particular.

While I agree, a lot of this is actually why I found her so interesting.
Exploring that inhuman mindset, of someone who has values that are so alien really got my attention. While it's true that she's portrayed in a sympathetic way, (especially with how idealized she is by Saikawa) I can't say I felt any sympathy for her. She's murderer and a villain, but one whose thought processes and values are entirely fleshed out and explored as much as Saikawa and Nishinosono are. While it's obviously horrific and inhuman, I really appreciated it.

As for Mouryou no Hako, it's been too long since I've last seen it. I do remember the characters being more... human, I suppose.
Though if I'm remembering right, Kubo (guy with the black suit and gloves?) was a bit more on the inhuman side.
While they're both mysteries, I think they just set out to do different things, with Perfect Insider focusing on the mindsets of these exceptionally talented people. That's how I see it, at least.

ibyea

Banned

Man, I could never be eloquent enough to explain why I felt underwhelmed by the show even if I liked it, you pretty much put my thoughts right there.

Itoshi No Muco 17

The pain of buying a dog a cool toy, but they give no fucks about it and would rather play with something else.

You fuck you know how expensive this is? FUCKING PLAY WITH IT :'''(

Sterok

Komugi R 4

Huh, so Komugi can do something successfully. At least if she doesn't have any proper rivals. Maybe she should switch from Magical Nurse to Magical Ninja.

As for Mouryou no Hako, it's been too long since I've last seen it. I do remember the characters being more... human, I suppose.
Though if I'm remembering right, Kubo (guy with the black suit and gloves?) was a bit more on the inhuman side.

He was, especially considering he first appears as a spectre invented by Yoriko to explain Kanako's death. But as more of his real story comes to light, the mental complusions he struggles with and his traumatic scarring experience of encountering Yoriko's head on the train, he becomes more understandable in the violent course he proceeded on.

While they're both mysteries, I think they just set out to do different things, with Perfect Insider focusing on the mindsets of these exceptionally talented people. That's how I see it, at least.

I value intelligence and talent, but at the same time I don't think being intelligent or talented excuses you from showing human kindness. I'm not a fan of the "gifted people are antisocial freaks who can't get along with others" narrative that is espoused in stories like the movie The Imitation Game. It's the modern descendant of the Romantic notion of genius and madness being inextricably linked, and while there is some truth in that idea, the idea can easily become destructive and dangerous when madness is held up as something to admire and aspire to. Perhaps that's another reason Perfect Insider rubbed me the wrong way. I believe genius can be compatible with healthy human relationships.

Utawarerumono 17

Damn, if you were looking forward for the info-dump episode of who Haku is and his past, look no further this episode tells the entire tale and finally reveals relationships. It was bound to happen, and I'm glad it did as not every episode can be the gang hanging around the town having fun. Hopefully with more characterization for Haku the show doesn't rely on the laid back 'nothing happens' episodes going forward.

That comes with practice and time.
practice and time might play a role. But having the vocabulary and analytical skills helps too. And unfortunately that isn't always something that could come from just regular watching of shows. It requires going above and beyond the eyes of a viewer and going at it with those of a critic, looking to what you might have knowledge. Some have it, some don't. I can clearly say I'll never be able to dissect a show like some in here do, but that's ok.

Quasar

Gate 16 - Pretty much as I remember the manga. They did chop Delilah's backstory which better helped convey her position better I think. Though maybe they will use that later in a interogation scene.

Taruranto

Durarara!! X2 The Third Arc Episode 28 – Blood is Thicker Than Water

Its painful being a Kida Masaomi fan, why he being fought on all sides, and I never put him as strong, hes my favorite but this is just so unfair. Please dont get hurt. Save Mikadp.

The saika stuff is so interesting now that its being explored in detail.

I just finished ep. 3 and I was about to post how this season of DRR finally looks decent, and here you post Spaghetti-arms Kida lol.

I really can't comprehend what's the deal with Saika. The only time it was relevant was during S1 a bazillion of years ago, kinda hard to remember what the hell was it about. I could use a recap, show.

Narag

practice and time might play a role. But having the vocabulary and analytical skills helps too. And unfortunately that isn't always something that could come from just regular watching of shows. It requires going above and beyond the eyes of a viewer and going at it with those of a critic, looking to what you might have knowledge. Some have it, some don't. I can clearly say I'll never be able to dissect a show like some in here do, but that's ok.

Developing those critical skills and vocabulary falls under the auspices of practice. Everyone's going to have varying levels of success at it if they choose to watch something like that. This is where Jexhius being too busy to post frequently hurts because his posts tended to be invaluable when trying to understand why a show did or didn't work. Off the top of my head, hosanna, firehawk (when he's not watching bad anime), poeticprose, sonicmj1, dresden, and duckroll make articulate posts that one can learn from though. dimb does too but people tend to catch feelings over his posts rather than consider the actual criticisms of a property. It's fine if someone doesn't want to watch something this way as a lot of shows don't really deserve the extra attention but it's defeatist to throw out nevers without ever actually giving it a try.

Clov

He was, especially considering he first appears as a spectre invented by Yoriko to explain Kanako's death. But as more of his real story comes to light, the mental complusions he struggles with and his traumatic scarring experience of encountering Yoriko's head on the train, he becomes more understandable in the violent course he proceeded on.

I value intelligence and talent, but at the same time I don't think being intelligent or talented excuses you from showing human kindness. I'm not a fan of the "gifted people are antisocial freaks who can't get along with others" narrative that is espoused in stories like the movie The Imitation Game. It's the modern descendant of the Romantic notion of genius and madness being inextricably linked, and while there is some truth in that idea, the idea can easily become destructive and dangerous when madness is held up as something to admire and aspire to. Perhaps that's another reason Perfect Insider rubbed me the wrong way. I believe genius can be compatible with healthy human relationships.

Regarding Mouryou no Hako, you're right. I've lost track of many of the details overtime, so I definitely need to rewatch the series. I'll never forget that finale at least!

On The Perfect Insider, you do make a good point. As interesting as I found it, it definitely falls into the sort of narrative that you're pointing out. As much as I liked learning about the characters I can't say that I was ever able to relate to them or fully sympathize with a lot of them (well, mostly Saikawa and Magata). I guess that could be because of their "antisocial but gifted" portrayal fascinating me but distancing me from them at the same time. In the end I still think it's a good show, though flawed. I ultimately like what it accomplished with its characters, even if parts of it are a bit questionable.

I definitely appreciated Jexhius' posts analyzing background work and differences in the shows from what was aired or in the different formats.

I can analyze character motivations and symbolism, because these are skills you gather from schooling as there's little difference between analyzing those in a book as in a tv show.

But everything else though in an animation show? I feel that requires knowledge of individuals behind the production, what their other works might entail (is person X prone to putting a lot of effort into background work for example). Which you COULD gather from regular viewing, but maybe folks like me have a defeatist attitude simply due to not wanting to start from zero with yet another medium. It's already enough work for hobbies to recognize names for video games, tv, books and movies. Now I need to start recognizing names (outside of the obvious) for a whole separate medium and country.

tl;dr I'm a lazy fuck and don't want to put in the effort. Though yes, it's not impossible with time to become effective at critique.

Just being part of this community helps though. I'm starting to recognize a few more names. And heck you even learn what every anime studio brings to the table as a whole too I guess.

Clov

Sometimes I think of writing longer critiques of stuff too, but I don't think I actually have anything insightful or valuable to say about these things. The fact that I'm fairly busy with university doesn't help either.

I occasionally think of writing out my thoughts on a series, but I'm a bad writer. I can't eloquently convey my feelings or thoughts very well.

It makes me all the more impressed by the well written reviews I see on here.

Developing those critical skills and vocabulary falls under the auspices of practice. Everyone's going to have varying levels of success at it if they choose to watch something like that. This is where Jexhius being too busy to post frequently hurts because his posts tended to be invaluable when trying to understand why a show did or didn't work. Off the top of my head, hosanna, firehawk (when he's not watching bad anime), poeticprose, sonicmj1, dresden, and duckroll make articulate posts that one can learn from though. dimb does too but people tend to catch feelings over his posts rather than consider the actual criticisms of a property. It's fine if someone doesn't want to watch something this way as a lot of shows don't really deserve the extra attention but it's defeatist to throw out nevers without ever actually giving it a try.

I feel like Corvo's analytical posts (mainly the ones where he doesn't do his usual yelling shtick) should be mentioned as well, as I felt they were very well done. I felt that his impressions of most shows were unique and I enjoyed how honest he was with his posts and how well he explained his reasoning.

For example, I really enjoyed Fate/Zero, but I can understand why he hated it after he made that long post about how Saber was nothing like the King Arthur he knew and loved and that (among other issues) was mainly what brought the overall show down for him.

Narag

I feel like Corvo's analytical posts (mainly the ones where he doesn't do his usual yelling shtick) should be mentioned as well, as I felt they were very well done. I felt that his impressions of most shows were unique and I enjoyed how honest he was with his posts and how well he explained his reasoning.

For example, I really enjoyed Fate/Zero, but I can understand why he hated it after he made that long post about how Saber was nothing like the King Arthur he knew and loved and that (among other issues) was mainly what brought the overall show down for him.

Definitely. The "pretending to be mad at everything" schtick was infuriating because everyone wanted him to be their dancing monkey rather than give a shit about what he actually had to say.

Exalted

Utawarerumono 17

Well i definitely didn't expect that for Haku's backstory, i would never guess that. Instead of having things explained, i just have more questions after this episode.

Jarmel

Banned
Definitely. The "pretending to be mad at everything" schtick was infuriating because everyone wanted him to be their dancing monkey rather than give a shit about what he actually had to say.

It was hilarious when he actually was mad though.

ibyea

Banned
I sometimes do try to be analytical, but it takes me hours and multiple rewatches to put it eloquently and the time sink is just not worth it when I have studying to do.

Qurupeke

My posts are mostly just impressions and quick thoughts. :| And I've started to abuse image posting, I think I got used to it after seeing MetroidPrimeRib's posts.

Clov

I don't find being analytical difficult, but coming up with something original and interesting to say about something is challenging. I'll still contribute however I can, at least.

Don't try and force any long or analytical posts. Whenever I actually have something to say I hardly ever prepare it and it just comes to me while watching it, that's why I can write so much on one episode of a show and nothing on another.

My posts are mostly just impressions and quick thoughts. :| And I've started to abuse image posting, I think I got used to it after seeing MetroidPrimeRib's posts.

I abuse image posting???

ibyea

Banned

Yeah The Imitation Game exemplifies that. There is nothing in history to suggest Turin was a maladjusted, antisocial genius, and yet the script and acting (feels like Cumberbatch brought some of Sherlock into his performance) went with that because he was a genius and that is the sort of archetype that genius have in our culture.

Good week of anime.

Haikyuu!! S2 - 17

An episode for the secondaries, and the match itself haven't advanced a lot, but the competent direction makes it enjoyable, and very relatable to the characters. From the worry of the captain's hit, to the feelings of putting your hopes on your teammates, to the moments of weakness and regret, and how that can mold a stronger personality, a little reflection on how not everyone is the same and how some ex-players were lively when they left the team, to the moments of fear of failing again.

Erased - 04

A heartwarming episode as others has said. Maybe it didn't have an eye catching scene like the previous one but I didn't notice it worsen drawn, as someone commented before
Actually, I thought it lacked a bit of tension, everything was going pretty well in this episode so it wasn't that interesting. But of course, it was bait, so the end scene would have more impact.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjou - 04

It still looks fine to me.
I liked the rakugo scene, not because the story it told, but because it really showed how you can differentiate between the different characters easily thanks to the performer's acting. The VA does a great job.
As always, the story continues slowly but surely, building detail and characterization on top of more detail and characterization. His anxiety, his relationship with friend and his envy towards the faster advance he is having, his struggle between the day by day job and his career in Rakugo, etc. The new character, the geisha, is very interesting. He is reluctant at first, and he has reasons: he knows she is working as a geisha, so he doesn't trust how sincere is she being and how much is just her showbiz face, he doubts because he suspects the master ordered her to "loose him up", in fact that's another reason, he knows she is his master's mistress, and he is son of a geisha and lived in the red light district as a boy, so he knows their tricks used upon unsuspecting men.
And in the end, he falls in her clutches, as it was predictable.

Russ T

Banned
intelligent criticism and analyzing your thought process is cool and all

but can we just talk about how bad gate is

cause goddamn

Russ T

Banned
this weird papa itami shit has got to stop

I guess I'm hate-watching two shows now. Why do I do this to myself? The world may never know.

HAIKYU!! 2nd Season Episode 17 – The Battle Without Will Power
CaAQUwMXEAAy121.png
CaAPyesWYAMYYSw.png

Kinoshita time! Narita got lines even and of course Ennoshita time.

Good episode, though I wish we could speed through wakunan.

Hinata again the only one to talk to tsukki.

Quasar

intelligent criticism and analyzing your thought process is cool and all

but can we just talk about how bad gate is

cause goddamn

Given I enjoy it (and I'm watching it after reading the manga version) I don't really have anything much to say on that front.

He thinks Arthur conquered Rome/found Grail ? No wonder he disliked historically accurate Saber.
tea5qkb6.png

Those are shorts right ? I need to give it a shot.

Each episode is 11-12 minutes.

It's meant as a light hearted cute show, with the majority of the humor being Muco and Ushico (bald guy). I'd suggest it largely if you've owned a dog before or have had experiences with what they do and their mental process (ie I hate this food, no i wait i love it best food ever).

Quasar

I guess I'm hate-watching two shows now. Why do I do this to myself? The world may never know.

No idea. I hate the whole phenomenon of the hatewatch. You clearly have plenty of spare time to burn if you are watching stuff you clearly don't enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom