• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibyea

Banned
No idea. I hate the whole phenomenon of the hatewatch. You clearly have plenty of spare time to burn if you are watching stuff you clearly don't enjoy.

Weirdly enough, watching a bad show can create the same sort of feeling that you are invested as a good show can, and that if you stop watching it to the bitter end, that it will all have been for nothing.

phaze

intelligent criticism and analyzing your thought process is cool and all

but can we just talk about how bad gate is

cause goddamn

This should not come as a surprise, I mean, it had "this is a shit show" written all over it even in its very first episode.

Each episode is 11-12 minutes.

It's meant as a light hearted cute show, with the majority of the humor being Muco and Ushico (bald guy). I'd suggest it largely if you've owned a dog before or have had experiences with what they do and their mental process (ie I hate this food, no i wait i love it best food ever).

Ouch, longer than I expected.

----
Somehow I got addicted to Haikyuu's 3rd ED.

Russ T

Banned
This should not come as a surprise, I mean, it had "this is a shit show" written all over it even in its very first episode.

Well, no, not really. It was pretty fun in the first season, although very obviously some low-brow shit. It's not trying to do anything special, and that's okay. Doesn't make it bad.

What does make it bad is this elf girl. I hope she goes away. I know she won't.

TUSR

Banned
every serious post I've written I've deleted.

and every time I wish I didn't do it, because creating meaningful discourse in the community is important

every serious post I've written I've deleted.

sometimes I wish I didn't do that, because creating meaningful discourse in the community is important

The most fun I've had recently is discussing the rules/economy of Grimgar because jesus it feels like we're putting more thought than the author ever did.

The best trapped in an MMO protagonist is easily Ainz Ooal Gown.
Ainz_Ooal_Gown_Anime.jpg

HE'S A GIANT SKELETON!

TUSR

Banned
The most fun I've had recently is discussing the rules/economy of Grimgar because jesus it feels like we're putting more thought than the author ever did.
that's one of the reasons that has held me back on large serious posts, wondering if we care more than the writer or how the material is presented in the medium.

Clov

that's one of the reasons that has held me back on large serious posts, wondering if we care more than the writer or how the material is presented in the medium.

I don't really think it matters if we care more or not. What's most important is what we get out of the medium, not what was strictly intended by the creator.

Jarmel

Banned
Towa no Quon-3
This was the only memorable part of the episode. The rest was fairly rote and wasn't really engrossing, partially because the audience knows it's a dream sequence but also because the pacing for events was either too abrupt or dragged out. The screenshots above weren't really built up to in a satisfactory manner and rather felt dumped inside the episode despite looking amazingly gorgeous due to the alternative art style. I'm also not really buying the whole Quon feels bad for killing people aspect, partially because those outsiders deserved it. Oh and,
that shouldn't work at all. They're already tracking you, not to mention your target would obviously be a false positive as a base can't be literally hopping across the world anyway. Wouldn't they just ignore your signal?

I love writing in depth analysis and examination of shit. I'm too vociferous for my own good, got drunk at a party and spoke for about 2 hours to a group of people about the thematic elements and musical strength of the last two pieces of boss music in Persona 4 and once wrote for a wrestling website where I wrote 3 pages about having sex with a wrestler that was an allegorical examination of their wrestling style.

The problem is that my taste is very counter to what is regularly seen in this thread so if I go on and on for paragraphs about Heavy Object no one is going to give a fuck except for DTL. So there's not much incentive for me to go all in on my examinations when people hate the shows I like anyways, and the ones I do like are talked about endlessly anyways. I'm not about to throw my stack of paper on the pile in regards to Tatami Galaxy or Trapeze. People have already said a lot of smart stuff about those shows that I don't feel any real need to repeat or give a slightly different insight.

Holla at me if you want me to write a diatribe about No Game No Life tho

I don't really think it matters if we care more or not. What's most important is what we get out of the medium, not what was strictly intended by the creator.

Yeah if whether an author put a lot of effort into a particular aspect or not determined enjoyment then nobody could ever enjoy most time travel media because Primer is the golden standard.

The problem is that my taste is very counter to what is regularly seen in this thread so if I go on and on for paragraphs about Heavy Object no one is going to give a fuck except for DTL.

You should do it anyway because Heavy Object is one of the best LN shows in years. The kingdom warfare, the heavy objects and the ethics surrounding them, and the man vs machine idea is so compelling and refreshing.

duckroll

Towa no Quon-3

that shouldn't work at all. They're already tracking you, not to mention your target would obviously be a false positive as a base can't be literally hopping across the world anyway. Wouldn't they just ignore your signal?

I can't really remember exactly, but I think the idea is that she planted signals as she moved so they would keep getting false positives as they tried to trace. Or... something. Idk, anime tech.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Just post whatever gives you enjoyment. No point doing something in your own time that doesn't give you enjoyment, otherwise you're turning posting into a chore. There should be no pressure to please others, just please yourself.

Jarmel

Banned
I can't really remember exactly, but I think the idea is that she planted signals as she moved so they would keep getting false positives as they tried to trace. Or... something. Idk, anime tech.

Right but the last one was that she was going to activate it and carry it literally on her and keep on running. Wouldn't they just note it as "B1" and ignore it?

Go! Princess Precure 50 END

We have confirmed that Precures in fact, do age, showing off where they are in their future in the post ending, but before that, a scene in where Kanata leaves and Haruka cries in the final scene as everyone goes their seperate ways to accomplish their dreams.

The wrongs of giving pinks the only super form was fixed last episode, and a demonstration of wiles from the likes of Lock and Shut (Stop and Freeze are dead, fuck them, the blight on this season). An initial mixed feelings in regards to our villains slowly turned to love and even cheering for something they did that was damn cool.

Some aspects were iffy, even having a rather infuriating episode where Kirara was utterly incompetent to make Haruka look good, but I will say this season was handled much better than last season, where crucial moments were given the love and care that they deserved, and even giving us a keyblade battle for the last two fights, a rather poetic and fitting end.

I think this last episode has definitely set this ending in the upper echelons of Precure endings, and as such, this season deserves to be in the upper echelon for Precure seasons (5th out of 12 at the very least). Go! Princess Precure may had Haruka chasing what may be considered an impossible dream, but it did give us moments in the show where we initially deemed impossible to happen.

A worthy send off to one of the few animes I bothered to watch in the past year, and it's time to send them off for our next season, MahoGirls Precure

Honestly I'm not a big fan of dream sequences unless they go all out.

I'm a fan of dream sequences since they provide so much fodder for imagination - see the looping mansion in GitS 2 Innocence, or Yuno's fever dream in Hidamari Sketch S1, or Kasuga's mournful dream in Flowers of Evil 11. The problem with the dream part of Towa no Quon 3 is that it wasn't treated with enough creativity to successfully sell it as a dream; the attempts towards surrealism were half-hearted. Similarily, the long-distance battle between the two organizations wasn't given enough tension to be compelling.

pbayne

Wow playing life is strange all day and missed this two page philosophical debate on posting. Usually I just post about whatever fluffy, mindless shoujo romance im watching that I doubt anyone really cares about.

Clov

While Innocence isn't my favorite Oshii film, that mansion sequence was pretty fantastic. The scene itself is definitely up there when I think of my favorite scenes from his films.

How were those live action Patlabor films he worked on supposed to be? I haven't heard much about them. I really do wish he'd work on another anime, but maybe he's just not interested anymore.

Russ T

Banned
Just post whatever gives you enjoyment. No point doing something in your own time that doesn't give you enjoyment, otherwise you're turning posting into a chore. There should be no pressure to please others, just please yourself.

But if I receive no validation from others, is there even any point to living?

You should do it anyway because Heavy Object is one of the best LN shows in years. The kingdom warfare, the heavy objects and the ethics surrounding them, and the man vs machine idea is so compelling and refreshing.

We're in a very lonely circle, dude.

No one writes elongated, well-thought out and passionate posts and posts them on a public location solely for themselves. If you put it out there you want people to read it and perhaps derive some enjoyment or entertainment out of it or make them want to engage in a dialogue with you. If no one responds or cares it's not a particularly good feeling you want to try and repeat.

Writing for yourself and loving it is a worthwhile endeavor and I certainly know what that feels like but once it goes into the public air it changes. I don't want to become an author to write whatever and not care what people think about my books; I want people to like them I want people to enjoy reading them and get something from them and say "Hey that was neat" or "Hey, that character was such a badass". Otherwise why am I giving them to other people to read? Why am I posting if not for other people to react to those posts?

Jarmel

Banned
I'm a fan of dream sequences since they provide so much fodder for imagination - see the looping mansion in GitS 2 Innocence, or Yuno's fever dream in Hidamari Sketch S1, or Kasuga's mournful dream in Flowers of Evil 11. The problem with the dream part of Towa no Quon 3 is that it wasn't treated with enough creativity to successfully sell it as a dream; the attempts towards surrealism were half-hearted. Similarily, the long-distance battle between the two organizations wasn't given enough tension to be compelling.

I guess it's possible Satoshi Kon spoiled me on this front as I've always liked how Paranoia Agent and Paprika handled surreal elements like this. Yamato 2199's dream episode for example didn't evoke a particularly strong reaction out of me, although I will admit I liked the movie more despite it utilizing a similar approach.

While Innocence isn't my favorite Oshii film, that mansion sequence was pretty fantastic. The scene itself is definitely up there when I think of my favorite scenes from his films.

How were those live action Patlabor films he worked on supposed to be? I haven't heard much about them. I really do wish he'd work on another anime, but maybe he's just not interested anymore.

I'm not a big fan of Innocence either - mostly it just makes me wish Kazunori Ito hadn't stopped writing Oshii's films in favor of .hack - but the mansion sequence is a neat idea and has the atmosphere you'd want from Oshii. As far as his live action Patlabor goes I've heard mildly positive things but haven't probed into them too closely. Though I do find it amusing that the live action series is supposed to be a "New Generation" of Patlabor, but all the "new" characters are copies of the old characters.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure Oshii has no more interest in animation. He was originally supposed to direct 009 Re:Cyborg - Kamiyama wrote the script with him in mind - but procrastinated and eventually turned it down.

I was validated once.

It was okay.

Also it dawned on me that I never finished Shomin Sample.
Guess I'll do that now.

It's alright. They really amped up the fan-service and wasted their budget on glistening boobs and thighs but they eventually get the humor in the manga right as the show goes on. Manga is a better read than anime is a watch but the anime is still entertaining enough. Surprisingly funny given the butt-stupid premise.

Bukkake Bank 4

One on one fights? Now it's a party!

I mean... it wasn't exactly one on one this time which kind of makes Kogane out to be not super useful, but ah well. Fun stuff happened regardless.

Clov

I'm not a big fan of Innocence either - mostly it just makes me wish Kazunori Ito hadn't stopped writing Oshii's films in favor of .hack - but the mansion sequence is a neat idea and has the atmosphere you'd want from Oshii. As far as his live action Patlabor goes I've heard mildly positive things but haven't probed into them too closely. Though I do find it amusing that the live action series is supposed to be a "New Generation" of Patlabor, but all the "new" characters are copies of the old characters.

I'll definitely check them out at some point, I've missed watching his films. I'm not as big of a fan of his live action work though, so it might not be quite the same.

When I have a lot more free time, I'll be giving the Urusei Yatsura TV series a try. That ought to be fun!

sonicmj1

I used to write posts about most of the episodes of shows I watched, but then at some point I realized it didn't matter if I failed to write about something, so now I pretty much don't bother unless I feel like I'm going to contribute something unique or it's a show I'm enjoying that people aren't really discussing.

It takes a lot of time to write a worthwhile post, and I don't have as much spare time as I'd like.

pbayne

Nurse Witch Komugi 4

Hope they keep a kind of cardcaptor running gimmick of different outfits every week, ninja outfit was pretty cute. Impressed how they actually managed to incorporate the seemingly pointless comedic segments at the start into Komugi's training and the story.

Still massively enjoyable, like for me nothing else comes close this season in terms of pure enjoyment. Hyped as hell for sleepover episode, possibly furthering Tsukasa and Komugi's bro's relationship.

P.S Of all the references to pull, Samurai Pizza cats? Really? Who even remembers that show?

Jintor

i mean i just don't have that complex thoughts on individual episodes very often and i don't usually care enough about an entire series to analyse it

god i've probably put more thought into why sao is shit than into actual things i've enjoyed. goddamnit.

John Blade

slide-dragonhalf.jpg

What a very shallow, and stupid show but man...it was a fun ride to watch this wacky comedy (?) show. Also, watch the OVA in Eng dub based on people who already watch it. Nothing special to say about the show to tell the truth. The story is meh and the character development is two dimensional at best. But the random comedy make up of it and it was a fun 50 minutes of me laughing at the stupid joke. Would recommend anyone to watch this if they want some randomness stuff once a while or a break from watching something serious in anime (like I am right now).

tumblr_mwqw8ox4UA1qlp4x9o1_400.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom