• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

The problem is that my taste is very counter to what is regularly seen in this thread so if I go on and on for paragraphs about Heavy Object no one is going to give a fuck except for DTL.

Lol, I really like Heavy Object, so you and DTL aren't alone buddy. Also, don't worry, everyone hates the shit I watch too, so no worries, just bring it.

ibyea

Banned
i mean i just don't have that complex thoughts on individual episodes very often and i don't usually care enough about an entire series to analyse it

god i've probably put more thought into why sao is shit than into actual things i've enjoyed. goddamnit.

Regarding your second point, I have personally found that it is much easier to analyze why things are broken than why things work right. I can write paragraphs on one go why shitty shows are shit, but then the moment I try to write something good about shows I love, I get stuck.

Cornbread78

i mean i just don't have that complex thoughts on individual episodes very often and i don't usually care enough about an entire series to analyse it

god i've probably put more thought into why sao is shit than into actual things i've enjoyed. goddamnit.

Yeah, you're wasting your time, SAO is amazing. Beater.. lol.

Lol, I really like Heavy Object, so you and DTL aren't alone buddy. Also, don't worry, everyone hates the shit I watch too, so no worries, just bring it.

Hey, I thought SAO was fun. We already bro'd over this.

And Deadman Wonderland's anime was a super dropped ball. I love the manga, even with a number of it's really stupid decisions at the end, but the anime was just a bad adaptation. I don't understand sometimes why you take a manga that is known for it's super violence and go "Hrm. We wanna make an anime out of this but remove a lot of what drew people to it."

Like GATE. I still have trouble watching the anime sometimes because I had SUCH bad impression of it when it first aired the first episode. Like, the army comes in and you see fucking nothing. And Itami slits that dude's throat in such a shit angle that hides everything and it's like "Why fucking bother?"

Dresden

Perfect Insider - 2

This is a very uninspiring show, visually I mean. Like everything is envisioned as if it takes place within a room, and the effect is magnified when they actually step into one, but even outside it, all the shots are placed around some square visual base with four angles repeated over and over as the characters deliver their lines.

4oKOy4x.jpg

The stuff with shiki in the past makes me wonder if it'll culminate with, like, the f-f-f-f-fuck me daddy scene from american pastoral. The show does parallel those scenes with Moe's lines, and the latter's naivety when it comes to everyday objects seems suggestive of some fantastic--and shared--origin. Or maybe she's bullshitting, cuz she does that here too.

Will keep watching.

Cardfight!! Vanguard G GIRS Crisis Episode 9 (eng dub)
CaAqUHBXEAAjEJ_.png:large

Christopher Lo Singapore Institute of Technology on SIT Genius and founder of Genius Communications Technology appeared and he has the best hoodie ever, cat ears and a tail...need.

Chrono looked stunning as always. I wish he had cardfight'ed him.

Russ T

Banned
Gosh Erased is so fucking good. It's gonna be hard to top this series for me this year. It's right up my alley, and it's hitting all the notes just right. Goddamn. Please stay good. Please stay good.

So far, I have only two problems with ERASED. The last episode wasn't quite as sharp as the previous.

That, and Kenya.

This kid takes me out the show somewhat. No kid is that perceptive. He feels very much like an anime character in a show about bucking traditional anime roles.

Also if he's the villain, Satoru and him should fight on top of a train. The fight should end with him being punched into a smokestack.
Yes, like what happened to the Joker in that one episode of Batman TAS.

So far, I have only two problems with ERASED. The last episode wasn't quite as sharp as the previous.

That, and Kenya.

This kid takes me out the show somewhat. No kid is that perceptive. He feels very much like an anime character in a show about bucking traditional anime roles.

Also if he's the villain, Satoru and him should fight on top of a train. The fight should end with him being punched into a smokestack.

What? Kenya is the best one.

Grexeno

That, and Kenya.

My plot-twist sense is telling me that Kenya is also a time-traveler.

Kenya wouldnt make sense as the killer or a time traveler, the only plot I can even think of is A) Kenya has feelings for Satoru and is jealous of the relationship he is potentially getting in with her, and therefore launches into a plot to kill her off, which leads to B) time traveller Kenya is still in love with Satoru but has failed to be able to confess in the present day, he is now in the past to prevent Satoru from changing the future. I highly doubt the writer is this progressive or even creative enough to handle this mystery, so its far more likely Kenya is just a regular best bro.

Cornbread78

Utawarerumono ep.16
Sooooo much was just explained at once, I think I lost half of it at once. I mean, it's completely insane:

Major episode/series spoilers:
They are on earth still, but 200 years after humanity completely destroyed earth. Haku is the Emperor's little brother and they are the only two humans that survived? Kouen and the others on this new earth are "decoys" (created beings?) but are fullyou independent living beings that live and reproduce on their own, correct?

Will they just ship Kouen x Haku already dammit. I want to see what their little babies would look like.

Yes we watched all 12 episodes + the OVA

Alright, then yeah. Her killing his entire class cause they got to experience a fun school life with him, trying to kill him with a piece of glass (metal pipe in the anime) when he says he wants to die, her killing Azami (kinda) and showing her head to Ganta because she was getting too close to him (no idea why they left her out of the anime), her idolization of him as Ace Man and wanting him to defeat the "villain" and kill her...

I mean, she's pretty damn yandere.

Utawarerumono ep.16
Sooooo much was just explained at once, I think I lost half of it at once. I mean, it's completely insane:

Major episode spoilers:
They are on earth still, but 200 years after they completely destroyed earth.Haku is the emperor's little brother and they are the only two that survived? Kouen and the others are "decoys" but are full living beings, the live and reproduce on their own, correct?

Will they just ship Kouen x Haku already dammit. I want to see what their little babies would look like.

Really, pretty much none of this is a surprise if you watched the first utawarerumono series

Grexeno

Kenya wouldnt make sense as the killer or a time traveler, the only plot I can even think of is A) Kenya has feelings for Satoru and is jealous of the relationship he is potentially getting in with her, and therefore launches into a plot to kill her off, which leads to B) time traveller Kenya is still in love with Satoru but has failed to be able to confess in the present day, he is now in the past to prevent Satoru from changing the future. I highly doubt the writer is this progressive or even creative enough to handle this mystery, so its far more likely Kenya is just a regular best bro.
ngqr6hV.gif

Tuck

I... uh.. err......uh huh.

3Kaze

Really, pretty much none of this is a surprise if you watched the first utawarerumono series

I didn't even notice the emperor
was human
:lol. But yeah it makes sense, I should have noticed the red slimes
were humans who have been cursed
as well.

I never watched the original, lol. This was some crazy stuff.

If you don't mind details from the first game/series, without spoiling too much :
The setting is in Japan so there should be some humans left in the world. They were already living underground, unable to live on the surface of earth before the satellite fired the laser, so that's why they were making a stronger species capable to live on the surface.

I didn't even notice the emperor
was human
:lol. But yeah it makes sense, I should have noticed the red slimes
were humans who have been cursed
as well.

If you don't mind details from the first game/series, without spoiling too much :
The setting is in Japan so there should be some humans left in the world. They were already living underground, unable to live on the surface of earth before the satellite fired the laser, so that's why they were making a stronger species to live on the surface.
The emperor being
a normal human
was something I noticed right away personally

Russ T

Banned

tumblr_nzn02viTMZ1qc9dlro1_500.gif

ibyea

Banned

That's just... huh?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's clear when DTL is just doing it to entertain us, and that's why I love him. He's my Gon, I'm his Killua.

Are you really sure you're ready to be the Killua to his Gon? Keep in mind who you're talking about here.

Clov

Too tired to write much about it, but give Miss Hokusai a watch if you haven't. I really enjoyed it. Loved seeing how some characters gradually changed as time went on, and
the dream and fantasy scenes were pretty great too!
It's definitely worth a watch.

Too tired to write much about it, but give Miss Hokusai a watch if you haven't. It didn't blow me away, but I really enjoyed it. Loved seeing how some characters gradually changed as time went on, and
the dream and fantasy scenes were pretty great too!
It's definitely worth a watch.

I just finished watching Miss Hokusai myself, and I'll second this. I really enjoyed how understated the film was, reminiscent of Takahata in both its careful portrayal of ordinary life and its light mixing in of fantasy. Oei's blind little sister was my favorite part; everything related to her and the Hokusai family situation in general was quite well done. I liked how much could be said without explicitly saying it - for instance, just seeing Oei and her sister wordlessly pass by Hokusai on the street, passing in and out of shadow, says volumes. It wasn't a flashy film, but there were some very effective visuals.

Some of the music choices were a bit weird, but it mostly worked out!

Clov

I just finished watching Miss Hokusai myself, and I'll second this. I really enjoyed how understated the film was, reminiscent of Takahata in both its careful portrayal of ordinary life and its light mixing in of fantasy. Oei's blind little sister was my favorite part; everything related to her and the Hokusai family situation in general was quite well done. I liked how much could be said without explicitly saying it - for instance, just seeing Oei and her sister wordlessly pass by Hokusai on the street, passing in and out of shadow, says volumes. It wasn't a flashy film, but there were some very effective visuals.

Some of the music choices were a bit weird, but it mostly worked out!

Yeah, there was a lot about the characters that could be inferred from the dialogue and visuals alone. The film was very strong in this area.

Like you say, a few choices of music felt a bit out of place,
particularly at the beginning and end. What were they thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom