• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Vision of Escaflowne - 9

CaBivqeWwAA8qHQ.jpg:large

When you've got no magic healers, you gotta do things the old-fashioned way, it seems.

Yeah, there was a lot about the characters that could be inferred from the dialogue and visuals alone. The film was very strong in this area.

Like you say, a few choices of music felt a bit out of place,
particularly at the beginning and end. What were they thinking?

Actually, I knew the soundtrack would be using rock going on and was surprised to discover it made up comparatively little of the soundtrack. Keiichi Hara talks about his decision to use it in this interview:

For the score I had the privilege to work with Narumi Fuuki, who already had composed the music for my previous film, Dawn of a Filmmaker. I had also discovered from Sugiura’s brother that she used to draw comics while listening to rock music. [Note: Sugiura is the original author of the Miss Hokusai manga.] It was indeed a very unconventional association, and I decided to pay homage to this unique creative process, so I had O-Ei walk the streets of 1814 Edo at the sound of electric guitars. If you allow me to say it, O-Ei rocks!

Nurse Witch Komugi-chan R Episode 4

While most of us have been enthralled by the visual and plotual delight that is Erased, one of the last true masterpieces of anime has been stealthily airing every Saturday. In this episode, Komugi is attempting to win the Edo Mansion Miss Kunoichi Contest - a victory that will win her prestige and become a sign model of the park.

Keiichirou Kawaguchi, the famed director of SKET Dance, Galko-chan, and other non-SKET Dance/Galko-chan things, shows off why people could possibly give him the nickname "Kubrick-san". To begin with, the episode starts with one of the most evocative scenes in this season of anime - Komugi stealthily moving behind her parent's backs, sneaking, before surprising them as she joins the table. This scene is especially important as it visually tells us the theme of the entire series in the span of 10 seconds - Komugi-chan is forced to sneak around behind her loved ones backs, hiding her identity as a "Tombo-E" girl (a sort of "mahou shoujo" for those in the know), but ultimately returns to the place she belongs. Even though they don't know where Komugi is, she is still in their thoughts and hearts. We see this particularly poignant motif throughout the series - when her family cheers her on at the Kunoichi contest, the encouraging bento made by her mother, and their bravery in facing Oedon in his first, less dangerous (but equally hideous) mascot form. In many ways, Komugi is separated from her family - masterfully depicted by making shots of Komugi alone much more frequent than when she is in frame with her relatives - yet they always have each other in their thoughts.

The cinematography of this episode is truly deserving of acclaim, as well. Kawaguchi uses a technique that has garnered much praise in the Western film community - famed director Michael Boy being one of the main contributors to this style - that involves reversing motion to create an interesting composition. Komugi typically does not move in the same direction twice. In one scene she rushes to the right, in the next she slides to the left. Alternating between separate directions emphasizes the speed and tension of each scene in ways that no dialogue or fancy effects ever could. Simple usage of composition is what sets Komugi apart from the rest.

But the show isn't perfect. It lacks the cohesiveness of the earlier KyoAni/Tatsunoko OVAs. An obvious reason for this is the lack of a major antagonist - the role that Koyori formerly played - but a greater reason is that, while Nurse Witch Komugi-chan Magikarte was simply a fantastic entrance into the action genre, Nurse Witch Komugi-chan R strives to be something more: a deep, thought-provoking show that isn't afraid to throw sand in the eyes of the anime industry with its powerful anti-industry tone.

Clov

Actually, I knew the soundtrack would be using rock going on and was surprised to discover it made up comparatively little of the soundtrack. Keiichi Hara talks about his decision to use it in this interview:

That's interesting. I never could have guessed that was the reason for it! Still, I can't help but feel that it stuck out like a sore thumb. It's not a deal-breaker by any means, but it just seemed so off.

JulianImp

hey you guys any good recent mech shows? last thing I saw was build fighters s1.

Recently, I'd say Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans has been fairly good. Besides that, the only other mech shows I've watched from start to finish have been TTGL and Eva though, so I'm not all that knowledgeable about the genre.

hey you guys any good recent mech shows? last thing I saw was build fighters s1.

Not a huge fan of the genre, I haven't seen much of it to give you an educated opinion, so I can't tell you much other than Gundam IBO maybe. What I can tell you however is to stay away as far as you can from Aldnoah.

Fafner: Exodus was the best mecha show that aired the past few years, if you've seen the original series/OVA/movie. And yes, it is worth watching the original, prequel OVA, and sequel movie to get to it. Aside from the slow first half of the original, the rest are also pretty good.

Dresden

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu - 2

When characters start cryin n shit there's something about it that makes animation feel particularly inadequate. I can't quite remember a really good scene of someone weeping in anime--usually it's there to let us know it's happening and we appreciate it due to what we understand of the circumstances involved, as a function of the writing rather than its visual content. And it's easy to veer into parody, like that cut of that in-show animated-show idol-girl-character crying in Shirobako early on, where it becomes hideous due to its exaggeration. Maybe body language is more important here? But here all I can think of are like, satoru utsunomiya puppet-men gesticulating wildly in their pile of wooden limbs.

Anyway, I liked episode two. I was like zzzzzzzz when the kid performed the rakugo thing but the two rakugo things at the end were great. Not because I enjoyed the rakugo, but just how it was executed, the contrast between the two acts, the rolling piano, etc etc.

Dresden

I think this form of presentation is fine, except for the fact that the show can't stick entirely to that and still feels the need to have fill-in scenes which are out of perspective from Satoru. That's probably why so scenes feel so distracting.

I mean, that's why I'm complaining. The question shifts from can't to won't when it comes to providing a voice for its presumably about to die female character. I agree with the rest, but after you spoiled me on what happens all I feel is the ennui of someone who has been spoiled and now can't care. why is the author so lazy? I wish it was still
time travel.

Mature

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu - 2

When characters start cryin n shit there's something about it that makes animation feel particularly inadequate. I can't quite remember a really good scene of someone weeping in anime--usually it's there to let us know it's happening and we appreciate it due to what we understand of the circumstances involved, as a function of the writing rather than its visual content. And it's easy to veer into parody, like that cut of that in-show animated-show idol-girl-character crying in Shirobako early on, where it becomes hideous due to its exaggeration. Maybe body language is more important here? But here all I can think of are like, satoru utsunomiya puppet-men gesticulating wildly in their pile of wooden limbs.

Anyway, I liked episode two. I was like zzzzzzzz when the kid performed the rakugo thing but the two rakugo things at the end were great. Not because I enjoyed the rakugo, but just how it was executed, the contrast between the two acts, the rolling piano, etc etc.
I think Okiura is particularly adept at showing the type of emotion a character is feeling when they're crying. Specifically, his scene at the end of Jin-Roh is visually heartbreaking— even without context.

CrimsonN0

Durarara - latest.
Hmm, I keep wondering if the author's other series, Vamp, is going to be animated.
They had that scene of Anri and Haruna imagining bats surrounding Kujiragi and there were a few other references that were left in to that series this season and last while Baccano references were cut out...

I really need to catch up on so many other shows too or at least check out some first episodes.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
The Hateful 8
Iy was good. I love the cinematography, the ost and sound was great, the acting was great, love the dialogue. But i probably love it more if the movie length was cut.

Theonik

Just post whatever gives you enjoyment. No point doing something in your own time that doesn't give you enjoyment, otherwise you're turning posting into a chore. There should be no pressure to please others, just please yourself.
Are you suggesting we all masturbate in this thread?!

That Kohei Tanaka arranged Beethoven ED though.

I am indifferent to his existence.
Tsundere huh?

I remember really liking Deadman Wonderland. But then it sorta just... Ends? I don't remember much aside from the fact that I waited for some kind of continuation and it never got one.

Is this the last day that the animator expo shorts will be available at the official site?

On the site it says that they're redistributed until January 31, 2016

Don't know if it's Japanese time or not though, if that's the case they'll be gone in a few hours.

I'm currently looking at the earlier ones that I missed, I hope they won't pull the little character design pages as well. I love the extra insight.

blurr

Maria the Virgin Witch 01-02

Historical drama about human conflict sounds great but I hope it drives it to some meaningful point and conversations. The production quality seems great. I'm not sure how Norse Mythology fits in to a biblical world with "Valhalla" but I'll buy it.

The sequences with Archangel Michael were pretty engaging. Some thoughtful questions being asked to Maria. I have no clue where this is going but that's just great.

Xisiqomelir

So I finished Rokka no Yuusha.

My god it's bad. What a cluttered mess of an ep that finale was. The end felt shoehorned, and the new 7th is just stupid.

pbayne

So I finished Rokka no Yuusha.

My god it's bad. What a cluttered mess of an ep that finale was. The end felt shoehorned, and the new 7th is just stupid.

Someone told me the light novels pull that same ending twist several times...so yeah fuck that story.

blurr

Iron Blooded Orphans 17

Intense episode, had a good fill of mech battles. I should watch more mecha after current queue.

Shouwa Rakugo 04

The show continues to remain strong.

Taruranto

Does anyone like Kudelia.

Because, OMG. Hopefully we are done with her finding her "resolution" and we can move into more interesting things.

Durarara X2 28

A whole lot of Saika related stuff in this episode. Can't say it's my favourite part of DRRR but I'm glad the show is finally getting into depth about Saika.

In the meantime Masomi is destined to get the shit kicked out of him for the next 2 or so episodes. Will be interesting to see where all of this goes.

Iron Blood Gundam 17

The best part of this episode wa
s Gundam Kimaris
and the fact Mika didn't get to lord over everyone with his skills and got outplayed. I'm still waiting for Ein to get his moment to shine cause when he does he's going to fucking kill of these dumbass kids.

Kudelia sucks still tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom