• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grimgar - 04

Uh...

I had to facepalm a couple times this episode. First of all, I cannot believe how some of these really nicely animated pieces at the beginning which also benefit hugely from the, at times, great art direction are downright ruined by the fucking ass-shots and other lusty shots. Like that shit is even necessary. People would make these girls their waifus without that, like they do with every slightly good looking character.

In general though, the directing was lacking severely this episode. Sense of space and time is pretty weak and it fails to achieve the dramatic tones it wants to create. I'd actually say the directing is more of an issue than the writing currently because there's some good basic ideas but their presentation is lackluster.

I've got a love-hate relationship with this show. Really wasn't fond of this episode but still don't wanna quit it just yet.

Qurupeke

Done with the Animator Expo. Some really good stuff there. Highlights for me were Cassette Girl, Kanon, Hammerhead and that one with the really long title and the cockroach. Cassette Girl was probably my favourite, it was Kill La Kill with mecha on VHS. I just want a fully animated series out of this.I also liked the weirdness in ME!ME!ME! and GIRL. Oh and Proto Society was amazing, I forgot that one.

ALSO, reminder that the AOTY voting ends in a few hours.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Is it common for seiyu to have that on the side? The only one I know thus far that does regular work and eroges is
Asami Imai (Chihaya Kisaragi, Tsubaki / Izayoi in the Blazblue games).

It's quite common. It's normal for most seiyuu to do eroge, h-anime, or working part time jobs, since seiyuu job for eroge or h-anime are supposedly pays better than regular one, especially if the seiyuu in question is a newbie.
Other notable seiyuu that does regular work and did eroge/h anime
- Shizuka Itou
- Harumi Sakurai
- Hikaru Midorikawa
- Tomokazu Sugita

There's probably some more...

phaze

Subete ga F ni Naru up to 05

All these people are surprisingly fucking calm given that there is a genocidal maniac running around and stabbing things in their near vicinity. The non-existent reactions of the director, his wife and of dr Magata's sister, to the news of deaths of their close ones in particular bothered me.

Catching up on stuff this Sunday while I can.

Gundam IBO 17

Considering I had very little problems with the last two episodes like a lot of people did, this was just more good stuff. Really really like the addition of Akihiro and Shino so that it's not just Mika one-manning everything. I also really really enjoy Akihiro's relationship with the Turbines, it's a very subtle friendship that works very well. Also I'm almost positive that the kid with the blonde hair over his eye (I'm bad with names, sorry) is gay and loves Shino which would be another interesting dynamic. Kudelia not crumpling but finding determination from Fumitan's death seems to be a very good way for her to start making waves as she's already started to become more aggressive and determined. Almost thought Gali Gali would bite it, but I have to wonder at what the Z Gjallarhorn kid's deal is going to be. They seem to follow him so he'll become important in the long run either by being a big bad who is used by Gjallarhorn or eventually turns on them but as things stand now I just can't tell where he's doing.

Heavy Object 16

Okay, this anime is fucking great. Not even like, "Oh this manga's quality is suspect but I enjoy it" in the way you acknowledge you are enjoying a bad show. I legitimately think this anime is a good fucking anime.

Qwenthur's overdone reaction at finding out she's flat and Ohohoho's mild irritation and confusion that grows as he won't shut up about was fucking hilarious. It also introduced a really interesting system as far as running an Object using an AI and having the Elite basically just be a top-tier QA analyst. It was interesting to see how the Information Alliance operates as it basically controls information (as one would suspect) which means everything within the Alliance is completely open and honest and everything they release or interact with other countries about is carefully monitored, controlled and obfuscated to keep them in control. And they did it in such a silly way by showing how it even controls how people outside the Alliance see the Elites with that silly pop song in the middle of the battle (punctuated hilariously by Qwenthur's screams and pained yells as the G force throws him around the cabin. I was fucking dying the whole time). This episode also showed quite well why the Elites are Elites better than the show has been doing for some time; they are specifically bred to withstand the G forces that moving so fast inflicts on someone as well as the eyesight and reaction speed to follow the incredible amount of complexity that controlling an Object requires.

I actually thought Qwenthur was using the Princess' jealousy to corner Ohohoho but his actual plan was awesome. It was foreshadowed an episode or two back when he noticed where they were fighting and the Water Strider's wreckage but it would've been nice to have a bit more hinting that Qwenthur and Havia have a secret code to talk about shit in the open for people so Havia's work didn't seem out of nowhere. That being said, considering how well they maintain and show Qwenthur and Havia's relationship it's not a stretch to believe Havia would know Qwenthur well enough to pick up on his coded language since he knows everything he was saying was untrue and broadcast on the open frequency instead of to him directly. On the other hand, Qwenthur's tricking of Ohohoho was fucking devious and her freak out was beautiful. He planted some really heavy seeds there so that when Ohohoho ran into her handler lady the normal sort of explanation or response she gave had such a disgusting edge to it that she didn't mean but Qwenthur made Ohohoho think was there. It was probably my favorite plan that he's ever had and it was so simple and ingenious in it's execution. Dude also got the shit kicked out of him this episode.

If you just run with the silliness of the design/idea of Objects this show is really fucking good. The action sequences are great, the plans and tactics are really well done and thought out, Qwenthur and Havia are hilarious and have an incredibly unique and entertaining relationship, the characters are mostly great, the dialogue may not work for some people but I find it refreshing and unique, the tone is almost always light even when dark shit happens and I'll be damned if I don't find at least 3 or 4 times I laugh out loud while watching.

The only real knock against it I have is that it can be pretty fan service-y, and considering most of the Elites are like...14 it can be kinda uncomfortable when the belts tighten on Princess' tits or you get an upshot of Ohoho's ass cheeks hanging out of a poorly designed suit. Even the Frolatayia stuff can be hit or miss, hit when done for humor such as the pool table scene and miss like the pole dance scene (though definitely hit when Princess tries to pole dance, fuck that was funny).

I find it super funny that the new OP added like...20 characters and we haven't seen any of them yet. Also that they changed Ohoho to her real appearance in the OP.

I could change it's place on my AOTY voting now but I'll be honest, since it raised itself due to second cour stuff I don't think it qualifies. But if it maintains this level of quality til the end it might be among my top 3 anime I've watched in a long-ass while. This show is so fun.

Time to watch some other stuff.

Rainy

Banned
Shirobako 24

DTvp7XC.png
CBCD_fXU8AAoQlQ.jpg:large

That's so cool.

I'll write more in my AOTY post but this anime just so damn great. Loved it.

Yeah amazing climax to the show in my opinion.

Well, it was also one of the scenes which makes it kind of obvious that the show was supposed to be 4 cour.

CG-chan's story lacked some developement, especially after all the drama about CG in modern anime was done by other characters.

Russ T

Banned
Grimgar - 04

Uh...

I had to facepalm a couple times this episode. First of all, I cannot believe how some of these really nicely animated pieces at the beginning which also benefit hugely from the, at times, great art direction are downright ruined by the fucking ass-shots and other lusty shots. Like that shit is even necessary. People would make these girls their waifus without that, like they do with every slightly good looking character.

In general though, the directing was lacking severely this episode. Sense of space and time is pretty weak and it fails to achieve the dramatic tones it wants to create. I'd actually say the directing is more of an issue than the writing currently because there's some good basic ideas but their presentation is lackluster.

I've got a love-hate relationship with this show. Really wasn't fond of this episode but still don't wanna quit it just yet.

This is almost exactly how I feel about Grimgar, man. I want it to be good, but it isn't. It's got some really interesting shit going on, but it's ruined, completely ruined by the awful choices they're making with presentation of the characters. People are gonna be creepy and weird about Cute Anime Girls all on their own, I wish the creators didn't feel the need to encourage it. \:

I've reached my limit, though. I'm done. I can't do this anymore.

JulianImp

Done with the Animator Expo. Some really good stuff there. Highlights for me were Cassette Girl, Kanon, Hammerhead and that one with the really long title and the cockroach. Cassette Girl was probably my favourite, it was Kill La Kill with mecha on VHS. I just want a fully animated series out of this.I also liked the weirdness in ME!ME!ME! and GIRL. Oh and Proto Society was amazing, I forgot that one.

ALSO, reminder that the AOTY voting ends in a few hours.

Casette Girl, while cool-ish, felt like it had way too much male gaze and random fanservice to be all that enjoyable for me. The generic anime set-up of everything going "this isn't even my final form!" a couple times is something I've grown to not like in battle anime shows, and this one was no different. I can't tell if I'd have liked it as a KLK-ish show, but with such a short run time there was no way this could even attempt to be KLK.

Also, ME!ME!ME! doesn't appear to be loading for me at all for some reason.

Ascheroth

Heavy Object 16

Nice writeup!

The only thing I want to add is that they indeed introduced the secret code between Qwenthur and Havia last episode. They came up with is after the raid on their magazines, so they could prevent that from happening again, lol.
Qwenthurs 'I'm at my wits end' was the trigger.

pbayne

Well, it was also one of the scenes which makes it kind of obvious that the show was supposed to be 4 cour.

CG-chan's story lacked some developement, especially after all the drama about CG in modern anime was done by other characters.

Never knew that.

Yeah id kill for another season of Shirobako and give the other four girls more screen time. Like its amazing what they managed too pull off with Zuka's character considering how little screen time she gets.

Dragon Ball Super 29

Bulma has a sister and her her name is Tights that neither Vegeta or Goku knew about.
Character that has never been mentioned before is revealed to be stronger then Goku and the strongest person Beerus has ever fought.
Planet sized Dragonballs.
Shenron is now a little bitch.
We are now back to Budokai Tenkaichi.

:dragonball

phaze

Dragon Ball Super 29

Bulma has a sister and her her name is Tights that neither Vegeta or Goku knew about.
Character that has never been mentioned before is revealed to be stronger then Goku and the strongest person Beerus has ever fought.
Planet sized Dragonballs.
Shenron is now a little bitch.
We are now back to Budokai Tenkaichi.

:dragonball

Patiently waiting for that moment where you admit that GT > Super
tea5qkb6.png

---
Had to boot out Shirobako to make place for Haikyuu. Oh well .... Jojo better hope Subete doesn't win me over cause it's next on the chipping block.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
They're still up, I was able to watch Me!Me!Me on my phone just now.
Oh. Didn't realize they'd done this.
Redistribution of the First & Second Season, & Closure of the Third Season

All the episodes of the first and second season will be redistributed from January 6 to 31 (except the episode 5 "Yoshikazu Yasuhiko & Ichiro Itano: Collection of KeyAnimation Films") !

Nice writeup!

The only thing I want to add is that they indeed introduced the secret code between Qwenthur and Havia last episode. They came up with is after the raid on their magazines, so they could prevent that from happening again, lol.
Qwenthurs 'I'm at my wits end' was the trigger.

Oh holy shit, how did miss that? Maybe I was busy laughing.

Thanks dude! Pretty much seals the episode for me as being awesome

ibyea

Banned

True, which is a shame, but I really liked what I got.

I've never actually watched GT.

I stopped the second Goku got turned into a kid, and it was revealed he was going to be a kid for awhile.

phaze

Well, this actually feels like a Dragon Ball series and the new characters aren't garbage so

I've never actually watched GT.

I stopped the second Goku got turned into a kid, and it was revealed he was going to be a kid for awhile.
I've never actually watched Super outside of like 3 episodes. :p

I remember GT being a bit of a shock at first cause it's the first one that got to my country with original audiotrack and not french dub.

Jarmel

Banned
Grimgar-4

So now the real Dark Souls begins. Anyway this was a really poorly directed episode for a number of reasons. The first is that there's no sense of tension such as when they're running away as instead it just comes off as a bunch of separate scenes smashed together.
The priest's death scene was undercut by a number of things. The first is the shock aspect was nulliified by the main character's comment less than five seconds before things go south. Why the fuck would you do that? Not that the show was being subtle with how heavily the director telegraphed everything. The second is that the priest's death bit was underwhelming which might have been fine if either they hadn't undercut the shock component, hadn't shown him being hit by an arrow, or had him slowly dying as they rushed him back to the city. Instead it comes off as very flat and then uses a short time skip which feels inappropriately placed as instead it could have been used for dramatic purposes. The main character's breakdown just felt overly done and the insert song was a total misstep.
-_-

Oh and do potions exist in this world?

Dimension W 4

Mansion mystery is interesting. Enjoying this show a lot but I wish they turned down the Mira fan service. I know they wont and its probably the biggest blemish on an otherwise enjoyable show.

Clov

Huh. Colorful is my favorite of Keiichi Hara's films.

I've only seen Colorful and Miss Hokusai out of his work, and I was a bit lukewarm on Colorful. I didn't think it was bad, but it didn't strike me as much as Miss Hokusai did. I might rewatch it later on to see if I think any differently of it.

Dimension W 3+4

I like this show a lot, not surprising since I also like the manga a lot, but I still think the pacing is just flat out weird. First episode is normal, intro episode you get a good idea of characters and world. Okay. Not everything is explained so you roll with it and hope stuff will later. Instead of having a couple episode, or even 1, to build up the world and ease you into it and establish things so that they can later overturn them or mess with them or build on them, you get a truncated version of the Loser arc that just has shit happen that you're supposed to either understand or already fucks with the things that haven't even been fully established yet. The illegal coil Dimension W expansion comes seconds after an explanation (by which I mean a sentence) which would normally be something people would reference before it happens (which did happen in the manga) so that you are kept curious about what they mean before you see it whereas in this it just fucking happens and you're like "Uh...um...okay that's what happens I guess?" Which is kinda shit because that first time the coils go apeshit is an important foreshadow/world build of how fucked up the coils being a connection to a whole nother dimension is. This isn't an episode I feel should be going on second, the audience isn't ready for the story beats or hits of it yet because you're already fucking with a world you haven't established fully.

Which makes episode 3 all the better/frustrating because it was a really great episode. It's the perfect pacing where you flesh out the characters, the world and how people view things as well as the type of relationship Emotionless Spike2 and Robowaifu have. Like, him opening the toilet while she's in it and her explaining it while he shuts the door was perfect and the scene later where she's holding her head in the van is exceptionally well directed and voice acted to really bring a lot of Robowaifu's character out. That sort of sad acceptance of how people look at her. The whole episode was great.

But then you get episode 4 which genre shifts so hard into an idea that was hinted at but not established well because we've had 3 damn episodes with only 1 dealing with it. Like, none of the jobs they take on have been normal to give us any bearings or accumulation of knowledge of the way things work in the world and now we have another one that's a fucking ghost mystery caper weird-ass what the fuck. Which only hurt because they truncated about 10 or so meandering chapters of the manga into one damn episode so a lot of shit happens that you don't really have any idea how to react to because they didn't, yet again, establish any sort of base level for you to care about. The asshole died (and not even in a suspense building way like in the manga), okay. The three sketchball people know everything and are kidnapping the sister, okay. Robowaifu is in a ghost dimension of books and the past, okay. Cosplay loli is a collector apparently (and her friend was written entirely out of the show?), okay.

It's just...ugh. This is such a good anime that is being ruined for me, much like the manga, by having just straight up weird pacing and episode placement.

That said, it's still enjoyable and I like it a lot but that's a sort of "in spite of it's flaws" type like. I also forgot how much I love his New Tesla frenemy. That fight scene and him backflipping among a shower of rose petals to the ground out the window was just priceless.

Also they sure do find some weird angles to ogle Robowaifu. Seriously, there was one that had her front cleavage and ass cleavage and I just was like "You guys worked hard for that one, didn't you?"

On to another show to catch up to.

Yamishibai s3 04

Oh my God STOP SHOWING THE HILARIOUSLY DESIGNED MONSTERS

The focus on having a bunch of monster designs is just tanking this season. The people-shapes objects standing in the back of the truck were way scarier then anything else and that wasn't even the focus

Clearly dr Magata's sister is guilty.

Guilty of murdering English language.

That scene was pretty painful to sit through.

I've only seen Colorful and Miss Hokusai out of his work, and I was a bit lukewarm on Colorful. I didn't think it was bad, but it didn't strike me as much as Miss Hokusai did. I might rewatch it later on to see if I think any differently of it.

Colorful struck me hard personally, just like When Marnie Was There did, because I could relate to the mindset of the protagonist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom