• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

One Punch Man is the type of show that would be a threat to win it in most years. It winning wouldn't really be that much of a statement.

This. I really don't get the salt for the possibility that OPM might take the crown. It reeks of elitism. If it's not your jam than whatever but its still a great show. You shouldn't have to love something to understand why someone might legitimately like it and not because "herp derp they don't know better".

Divine Gate 01

I am...unsure why people didn't like this. I thought this was a really solid first episode and I'm interested in watching the rest.

I'm vaguely certain that 90% of the responses to it included the words tryhard or edgy which means I don't really need to pay attention to them, but while it didn't set my soul ablaze within a 20 minute time span it did enough to hook me.

SCChappy

Banned
ive finished plastic memories but thats the only somewhat recent thing ive watched

whats come out over the past year thats worth watching

This. I really don't get the salt for the possibility that OPM might take the crown. It reeks of elitism. If it's not your jam than whatever but its still a great show. You shouldn't have to love something to understand why someone might legitimately like it and not because "herp derp they don't know better".

Seriously. OPM has the advantage of having both an appealing concept and great execution. The last anime that invaded the mainstream only had one of those. It's something both anime veterans and newcomers/lapsed fans should theoretically be able to enjoy and see as a high-quality product provided they aren't completely averse to the genre.

Dresden

Seriously. OPM has the advantage of having both an appealing concept and great execution. The last anime that invaded the mainstream only had one of those. It's something both anime veterans and newcomers/lapsed fans should theoretically be able to enjoy.

Psychopass had both plus literature things, tho.

Cornbread78

The Witness is making me angry

I need some love live as an anesthetic

only idols can soothe the rage i have for tetris shapes

There's Omega Quintet for that..

Evangelion ep.14
1/2 review, 1/2 new plot. Will they hurry up and get to what is going on. This "angel of the day" format needs more uummpphh.

Haikyuu!! S2

More character development for the side characters, I like it. Pretty well done too, via the flashback. Show continues to be great at storytelling, and keeping you hyped up with the sport moments.

Aki-at

Hai to Gensou no Grimgar - 4

I would have liked to know if I would have expected that death if I didn't read up on everyone saying he's definitely going to die haha.

Final sequence lasted way too long though, especially that last frame.

If One Punch Man wins, don't blame the voters, blame 2015 for being an extremely weak year for high-quality shows that the community can rally behind, much less those with broad appeal.

That doesn't excuse whatever percentage of the OPM fanbase would actually enjoy, say, Euphonium or Shirobako but refuse to watch them because anime girls are radioactive.

Honestly I feel that Garo the Animation would be a big hit with the Toonami crowd if it had the right publicity.

wtf at AquaWateria and Hosanna's lists

you guys are crazy

If I'm going to whittle down my backlog, I've got to be aggressive! I'm actually hoping I can finish that set of shows by mid-year so I can throw on another set of roughly equally sized shows (probably nothing else as long as Urusei Yatsura though) for the remaining half year.

Dresden

Prison School 7

EXRDzxx.jpg

cryin irl rn

NeonZ

Divine Gate 01

I am...unsure why people didn't like this. I thought this was a really solid first episode and I'm interested in watching the rest.

I'm vaguely certain that 90% of the responses to it included the words tryhard or edgy which means I don't really need to pay attention to them, but while it didn't set my soul ablaze within a 20 minute time span it did enough to hook me.

I think the way it goes very quickly into the cast's melancholy, without even letting the viewer bond with them first, is off putting to most viewers. It's not even just the first episode and Aoto. Every main character seems to be handled in a similar way so far.

Also, it loves exposition about the characters and their feelings. Even in the first episode, when she wasn't the focus, Midori's exposition about why she liked to run was really awkward... and exposition usually doesn't bother me.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Honestly I feel that Garo the Animation would be a big hit with the Toonami crowd if it had the right publicity.

How did Toonami react to Casshern Sins? I would expect more or less the same for Garo given the episode structure and superficial artistic similarities, unless the entire series is derided for "quality" like numerous Space Dandy episodes.

Grimgar - 04

I like how they have blended some of the RPG elements with, uhm, reality of sorts. They learn new skills and such, but that doesn't automatically make them used efficiently in combat, or even at all.
I appreciate that they took the time to flesh out how some of the classes work, how trivial it may seem in the big picture. Such as Priest cannot use blade weapons, the relationship between Favaro and his demon, the guilds "Gods" and the role they play for moral support.
The slow pace really works well for me.

The pivitol event of this episode didin't come as a big surprise, nor did it have much of an impact on me personally, but much like the goblin scene in a previous episode, I did really like how the reactions of the party was portrayed.
Mr Rogue VA did a really nice job throughout the second half. His loud "No!" and the following slight facial expression of surprise, after the head-priest's proposal stuck with me especially.
His little sprint to the head-priest with the back and forth at the end, a long with other small body movements was a neat way to show everyone's desperation and unfamilliarity.

The illustrations of the party members was also pretty!

Defuser

I don't have problems with OPM winning, I just don't like it when voting is heavily skewed by posters who made just 1 show vote without giving other shows a chance just because it's the only show they watch this year, at least a minimum of 3 shows.

I don't have problems with OPM winning, I just don't like it when voting is heavily skewed by posters who made just 1 show vote without giving other shows a chance just because it's the only show they watch this year, at least a minimum of 3 shows.

People said the same shit when Bloodborne won GOTY but the skew really isn't as big as you would think. In fact, it hardly exists.

thank you tusser

Narag

I'd be concerned that'd truly poison the well if people watched something they really really liked but ended up watching trash show A and trash show B just to have their vote count.

People said the same shit when Bloodborne won GOTY but the skew really isn't as big as you would think. In fact, it hardly exists.

To add, Space Dandy was declared AOTY early by folk certain it'd win in a landslide by virtue of it being the only thing the toonami demographic would be eligible to vote for. It placed high but not for this reason.

How did Toonami react to Casshern Sins? I would expect more or less the same for Garo given the episode structure and superficial artistic similarities, unless the entire series is derided for "quality" like numerous Space Dandy episodes.

Garo has some similarities to Casshern Sins, most notably sharing the writer Yasuko Kobayashi, but it is more approachable and just plain better. Casshern Sins has a monotonous melancholy that makes it difficult to sit through; Garo has a wider emotional range, a more comprehensive world and narrative, and more fleshed-out and likable characters. Garo also has the burning emotions and action setpieces that appeal to a Toonami action fan. Since it has a vaguely European medieval fantasy setting, it doesn't even have any heavy basis in Japanese culture that would turn off Westerners. I really do think if Funimation dubs Garo and gets it on Toonami, it'd do pretty well there.

With pretty much any show like One Punch Man or Space Dandy that people who don't watch that many anime a year will vote for you'll have an equal or even more people from this thread voting for them as well.

OPM was my #1. Space Dandy was my #2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom