• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't do an AOTY list this year. Liked a handful of things, Durrararararara and Sound! Euphonium, but didn't feel like really excited like I did last year.

I think the way it goes very quickly into the cast's melancholy, without even letting the viewer bond with them first, is off putting to most viewers. It's not even just the first episode and Aoto. Every main character seems to be handled in a similar way so far.

Also, it loves exposition about the characters and their feelings. Even in the first episode, when she wasn't the focus, Midori's exposition about why she liked to run was really awkward... and exposition usually doesn't bother me.

Yeah, I just finished Episode 3 and I can kinda see why people might be turned off to it. I don't actually think it's all that bad other than as you say the same repeated motif for the first three characters so far, but I actually somewhat enjoy the interior monologue with text approach that it does. I think the tone of melancholy suffusing the show is what keeps it even and from straying into melodrama though, which would be the tipping point of giving everyone a tragic backstory. They all seem to be dealing with their hang-ups and flaws in ineffective ways that just sort of get them through the day without really facing it so no one is sorta overly indulging in emotional moments. I think even with the blatant exposition it's being handled in a lot more subtle way. And the maintenance of tone leads me to believe that that's a prime idea of this show; that these awful things that stick with you can be overcome. I know we haven't reached that point yet but I don't think there'd be such a large focus if that wasn't where it was heading.

Obviously it's not amazing or anything and that kid does an awful lot of explaining to Aoto but the show remaining consistent in how it does it kinda works for me. Aoto becoming dispassionate because of his traumas and therefor focusing on the minutiae and mental processes of why people do the things they do makes sense to me. He removed himself from the situation he was in with his parents and brother once they were dead and he left and tried to understand it from a purely logical point of view. That was really driven home for me when he was explaining why the father didn't go after his son. I also really enjoy the art style. Was kinda hoping that Aoto actually did kill his parents because that would make for an interesting main character but wasn't surprised there was some sort of twist that erased that. Kinda wish more shows would go down the "it's okay to hate your parents if they're shitty, they're not secretly trying to be good parents, they're actually just shit" That and the traumas each MC went through so far seem pretty damn legitimate. Dude was neglected and abused then his brother left him, fire dude's dad died in suspect circumstances and Midori feels guilt and confusion over her best friend's disappearance. Those all seem to be good reasons to have some hang-ups.

Dresden

I don't have problems with OPM winning, I just don't like it when voting is heavily skewed by posters who made just 1 show vote without giving other shows a chance just because it's the only show they watch this year, at least a minimum of 3 shows.

It's always silly when people try to go heavy with the rules for a mostly informal vote on a gaming forum.

The right shows win usually, anyway, attesting to the good sense of most voters--Hyouka, Ping Pong, P&S, Yamato, etc.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That P&S better stand for Panty and Stocking

It stands for Piss and Shit!!!

OPM is a bit different because its popularity spilled out of the world of anime. It's closer to Gurren Lagann than the usual "I only watched this, so I'm going to vote this" major shounen manga adaptations (HxH, JoJo). It reached, however briefly, internet pop culture status.

Clov

I'm still debating whether I should buy Casshern Sins on BD or not. It's not expensive or anything, I just don't know if I liked it THAT much. I loved the bleak atmosphere, and everything really worked in terms of tone. I wish the writing was a bit more subtle though! It felt like the show spelled a lot of things out for you when the audience could have just inferred it on their own. I feel like it could have been much better than what it was.

Casshern Sins isn't a perfect show. It has problems, and it has that one episode with that dancing girl that is nigh incomprehensible.

But it also has a robot dog called Friender.
original.png

Robot dogs are fucking radical.

I'm still debating whether I should buy Casshern Sins on BD or not. It's not expensive or anything, I just don't know if I liked it THAT much. I loved the bleak atmosphere, and everything really worked in terms of tone. I wish the writing was a bit more subtle though! It felt like the show spelled a lot of things out for you when the audience could have just inferred it on their own. I feel like it could have been much better than what it was.

Huh, that's funny. I actually thought that it didn't spell out much of anything. It gave you the backstory then just set him free for all these exchanges. I thought it kept a very quiet and subdued tone all throughout and only really fed you information occasionally then just let events play out as you watched what happened.

Funny. I've even talked to people who didn't really get a lot of the show.

Casshern Sins isn't a perfect show. It has problems, and it has that one episode with that dancing girl that is nigh incomprehensible.

But it also has a robot dog called Friender.

Robot dogs are fucking radical.

The best part of Casshern Sins was the visual style. Umakoshi's characters and Kenji Matsumoto's backgrounds are ace.

onionfrog

I started watching this since Erased has been so phenomenal and I love time travel stories.

Really interesting show so far.

The past few episodes where Okabe is trying to prevent them getting captured has been too good! The whole thing has been heart wrenching with Okabe losing his shit more and more each time he leaps back in time.

I totally did not see Yuzu actually being John Titor.

Fuck sleep, i'll just keep watching this instead.
I swear to god if they can't save Mayushii I don't even know man!
;_;

What's Kenji Matsumoto doing these days?

I guess he's wherever Yamauchi is hiding out? His last few credits are on Yamauchi stuff - art director on Kimi no Iru Machi in 2013, background art on the Yamauchi episode of Blade and Soul in 2014 - plus "Background Original Drawing" (whatever that is) on Expelled from Paradise. No credits I can find from 2015.

NeonZ

I also really enjoy the art style.

The coloring style is one of the main reasons I picked up the show. The other one is pretty silly though - Kanae Ito, who voiced the character in my avatar for a mobile game tie in (in that form, not the original one), also voices Midori.

Those all seem to be good reasons to have some hang-ups.
I'm not disagreeing about them having their reasons, but the way the show goes about it and presented it (with this group gathering and having unrelated traumas that still weight on them today, each one presented in the first three episodes) leads to some repetitiveness.

Cornbread78

Acchi Kocchi ep.7-9
This show is just to damn cute. IO is Tsuki's object of affection and love, but she'll never confess, but th fun and games of this group of friends is funny stuff and it's a fun watch. It's not bad to watch a super cute PG anime once in awhile.

What's so wrong with a highschool setting?

It's foremost a comedy so I don't understand how having a highschool setting can affect the quality of a series.

I don't mind high school settings in general, but high school spinoffs, a la Attack on Titan High or whatever, don't have the greatest track record.

Because Barakamon is set in the sticks and thats one of the draws

Well for me the biggest draw of Barakamon was its characters and enjoyable comedy. The setting of going to the Country has been done to death but the characters are what makes the series such a joy to watch.

Handa-kun is enjoyable in that respect. So the setting shouldn't be a big deal.

duckroll

I guess he's wherever Yamauchi is hiding out? His last few credits are on Yamauchi stuff - art director on Kimi no Iru Machi in 2013, background art on the Yamauchi episode of Blade and Soul in 2014 - plus "Background Original Drawing" (whatever that is) on Expelled from Paradise. No credits I can find from 2015.

Oh I think Expelled fom Paradise had some bitchin backgrounds. CG based on detailed 2D layouts maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom