• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Li Kao

Ok as a Gundam virgin I'm absolutely lost in the show continuity, is the latest incarnation (Iron-Blooded Orphans) stand alone or was there series in the same universe before that one ?
Would it be a good entry point in the franchise ?

Ok as a Gundam virgin I'm absolutely lost in the show continuity, is the latest incarnation (Iron-Blooded Orphans) stand alone or was there series in the same universe before that one ?
Would it be a good entry point in the franchise ?

It's stand alone. You can go in without knowing any other Gundams prior.

Jex

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu - 2

When characters start cryin n shit there's something about it that makes animation feel particularly inadequate. I can't quite remember a really good scene of someone weeping in anime--usually it's there to let us know it's happening and we appreciate it due to what we understand of the circumstances involved, as a function of the writing rather than its visual content. And it's easy to veer into parody, like that cut of that in-show animated-show idol-girl-character crying in Shirobako early on, where it becomes hideous due to its exaggeration. Maybe body language is more important here? But here all I can think of are like, satoru utsunomiya puppet-men gesticulating wildly in their pile of wooden limbs.

Anyway, I liked episode two. I was like zzzzzzzz when the kid performed the rakugo thing but the two rakugo things at the end were great. Not because I enjoyed the rakugo, but just how it was executed, the contrast between the two acts, the rolling piano, etc etc.
Tokyo Godfathers?

pbayne

Finished Aoi Hana. Nothing to really say about it it was fine overall, good character driven show combined with little drama but it had a pretty groan worthy "read the manga" finish.

But just want to tangent from that to say: Why has Girlfriends or any Milk Moringa never received an adaptation? She's arguably the most famous current yuri mangaka and the vast majority of her output is really good.

Like when we get shit like Sakura Trick, which just ultra pandering, why can we not get an actual yuri show that focuses on the relationships in a serious manner. No, is that too much to ask for?

Rant over.

If I have to name one really notable crying scene in an anime, it would be Madoka Magica episode 7, where
Sayaka breaks down in Madoka's arms after being told by Hitomi that if Sayaka doesn't make a move on the guy she unknowingly sold her soul to have healed, she'll make the move herself.

And this was after she was told of her soul being ripped from her body. She just lets it all out, and you really can't blame her for feeling that way.

It's a genuinely sad, meaningful moment, because from the beginning of the series, she was depicted as tough and cheerful, and it's harsh reality that slowly breaks that down and shows how fragile she really was.

Madoka Magica was really good at that stuff, just saying.

I'm skipping the monogatari airing this season cause it doesn't seem important.

It's not at all. The fourth episode with Kanbaru was the best so far and even then it's not really up to snuff. I guess Koyomi exists so people will stop calling Nise the worst season, but apparently there is some huge revelation at the end that probably has something to do with Ougi.

Has any good ever come out of fan fiction?

Tails gets trolled

Joe Molotov

There's a loli fanbase for Yotsuba. That's just how the internet is.

fglQtfO.jpg

Osumatsu-san 17

I think this show is actually improving because I liked these short skits this time around but maybe thats because they got real fuckin weird

There's a bit of a problem with Snow White, in that Zen isn't terribly interesting on his own. The same can't be said for some of the other characters.
In fact, I think I'm sticking around more for the side characters.

Akbs7_ML.jpg

Look at this guy!

Cornbread78

The AOTY results are pretty much a disaster.
Owarimonogatari is not top 5.

#1- OPM
#2- Shirobakka
---------------------------------------------

OK, here is where things actually get interesting....

Please tell me Cross Ange made the top 10 somehow!!

Second Season wasn't even in the top 10 the year it aired. Monogatari is just a burden to start watching because of how confusing the seasons are, same reason why Gintama will never chart despite being great and having a passionate fanbase

Second Season wasn't even in the top 10 the year it aired. Monogatari is just a burden to start watching because of how confusing the seasons are, same reason why Gintama will never chart despite being great and having a passionate fanbase

Anything that requires viewing past seasons is going to suffer in AOTY.

Mature

Maybe I'd never noticed it in past years, but It seems like Gintama showed up in a fair amount more lists this year for whatever reason.

Qurupeke

I'll probably post the thread tomorrow if it's ready.

The top 10 is generally weird. Owari ranked, but I don't feel it's because it did really well, but because other shows did bad. I checked the previous results threads and let's just say that there are some huge differences in the number of points.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I barely ever vote second series anyway. If I'm already invested in a show I don't see it as an achievement that I watched more of it. A new show has the challenge of needing to capture my attention and therefore I feel more worthy of my AotY vote.

Still have yesterday's shows piled up to watch. And Shirayuki added on to that today, ugh. I've been busy the whole day sending co-op applications to companies. I need to take a break from it and catch up.

pbayne

I barely ever vote second series anyway. If I'm already invested in a show I don't see it as an achievement that I watched more of it. A new show has the challenge of needing to capture my attention and therefore I feel more worthy of my AotY vote.

I get what your saying but on the other hand I had Kuroko season 3 on my list. Was there 10 shows better than it? Probably. But ive had 75 episodes of build up and caring for these characters and wanting to know how things end for them.

sonicmj1

I'll probably post the thread tomorrow if it's ready.

The top 10 is generally weird. Owari ranked, but I don't feel it's because it did really well, but because other shows did bad. I checked the previous results threads and let's just say that there are some huge differences in the number of points.
It was a weak year. Quite a few major active posters didn't even vote for ten shows.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Stars: Episode 180:

Right then, you knew this episode was coming sooner or later as we get the first meeting between the Sailor Stars and the Outer Guardians, specifically Hakura and Michiru and the end result us about what you would expect actually. Though before that The Most Interesting Couple In The World and The Pop Idols have a bit of an encounter in civilian guise as for some reason Michiru and The Three Lights were booked to do a joint concert. I understand it was for a world music festival but the still feel like mixing peanut butter and motor oil in regards to music. After the concert Seiya enters Michiru's dressing room and starts putting the moves on her and she is oddly, very oddly, out of character receptive to his advances. I know she sometimes likes to make Hakura jealous but yea no a line was crossed here the more that I think about it and Hakura had every right to be pissed. As far as The Outers outright attacking the Starlights, this is actually justified since they have been left outside of the loop and Sailor Moon really needed to explain shit. Though I imagine the Starlights and The Outers will still be at odds because stubborn and stubborn equals eminity.

Clov

Just finished watching the new Osomatsu-san. Best character gets a pretty great episode! Loved "Jyushimatsu and Concepts" in particular, though the last few sketches were pretty funny too.

Iyami's another favorite of mine, so I'm really looking forward to next week's episode!

Gvitor

@last page discussion on Nise

Araragi got really perv on Nise, I found it strange at first. He was already crazy on Bake, but the scenes with Hachikuji in Nise were quite... out of character? I got used to it, but I don't recall him being this levels of perv with her in the first.

And then there's his sisters...

Qurupeke

Koyomimonogatari 4

10/10

Random stretching poses and Senjougahara's adorable personality, I can't. That die, die, die was perfect.

Quasar

It's not at all. The fourth episode with Kanbaru was the best so far and even then it's not really up to snuff. I guess Koyomi exists so people will stop calling Nise the worst season, but apparently there is some huge revelation at the end that probably has something to do with Ougi.

Well if you include ovas I wouldn't. Not that I think any monogatari is poor. I've really liked all of them overall. I'd call it my favourite long running show.

I've only seen three episodes of Koyomin, but so far its mostly 'yay, seeing character x again in this time period'.

Quasar

EDIT: Just read about why Barakamon was being talked about. A high-school-aged prequel is basically the last thing I would want out of more Barakamon content. : But if people are saying it's good, I'll trust them, I suppose.

Me either. Didnt find the manga interesting at all, so I doubt I'll watch the anime.

Love Live 13 END

I'm actually surprised I enjoyed this as much as I did. It's nothing amazing but its basically just candy, little substance but sweet and enjoyable, although the drama was so nothing I don't even know why it was there in the first place.

Yeah Kotori, pack up all your shit and go to the airport (wait where did her stuff go) and then wait for Honkers to come tell you to unpack and go back to being an idol, ok

I've only seen three episodes of Koyomin, but so far its mostly 'yay, seeing character x again in this time period'.

That seems to be the main draw. Look, it's Oshino Meme, its Hanekawa with glasses and long hair, its Senjougahara with long hair, its Nadeko before she went insanee

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Has any good ever come out of fan fiction?

'How i stalked some dude with an exposed nipple and stumble upon zenithian sword' a.k.a bonefire neet

That Harry Potter fan fiction about time travel was good. I can't remember the title though...

Oh, and Jorge Joestar

Finished Aoi Hana. Nothing to really say about it it was fine overall, good character driven show combined with little drama but it had a pretty groan worthy "read the manga" finish.

But just want to tangent from that to say: Why has Girlfriends or any Milk Moringa never received an adaptation? She's arguably the most famous current yuri mangaka and the vast majority of her output is really good.

Like when we get shit like Sakura Trick, which just ultra pandering, why can we not get an actual yuri show that focuses on the relationships in a serious manner. No, is that too much to ask for?

Rant over.
You has my sword on this one.

This week's Osumatsu-san is just a Jyushimatsu special so you needn't bother.
Daisuke Ono talking like an idiot is everything i need :p

@last page discussion on Nise

Araragi got really perv on Nise, I found it strange at first. He was already crazy on Bake, but the scenes with Hachikuji in Nise were quite... out of character? I got used to it, but I don't recall him being this levels of perv with her in the first.

And then there's his sisters...

He become more and more perverted as series goes on. And probably because now that he know doing stuff like that to a ghost won't put him in jail. As for the sisters...wakarimasen lol

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Stars: Episode 181:

Well then, seems like Seiya's gimmick is to attempt to pick up girls who are already in relationships which is probably going to earn him a well timed World Shaking blast if he is not careful. Though in actuality this is actually a plotline taken from the manga, Seiya and Usagi's pseudo-romance. I will say that this time around the writing staff actually understood that what would make this interesting is if Usagi felt actual pangs of temptation because otherwise this shit gets boring fast. I also enjoyed the fact that Hakura is still pissed off at Seiya, it provides that sense of continuity I mentioned beforehand. Anyway, as it turns out this is the last episode featuring Sailor Iron Mouse for after a bid for the star seed of Seiya goes awry after learning he is one of the Sailor Starlights she is obliterated by her mistress Galaxia whom reveals herself for the first time.

Aki-at

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren - END

Pretty disappointed in this sequel as I feel they overlooked everything that made the first season good. I wasn't too keen on the make belief battles went from being a light hearted distraction to core parts of the story, I really don't know what the producers had against Isshiki and I guess his exclusion plus Shichimiya introduction made the cast too lopsided for me. A poor follow up to an enjoyable original.

On a sidenote It's funny reading some reviews of the series and how everyone in the reviews kept saying the glory days of KyoAni was dead and buried but the following year they made Hibike heh.

Erased - 2

The first episode didn't really grab me but this was a great episode and I'm not quite sure why! Not much has been shown of Satoru's old friends but Kenya stuck out the most, probably how grounded it's depiction of children is what clicked with me.

Sterok

Go Princess Precure 50

Not quite how I expected Flora to get her solo fight, but this is fine too. I always had high hopes for Close as a villain. I like the conclusion she came to, that dreams and despair are intertwined, so they'll always be together, but despair can always be overcome. Yay, we get some satisfaction out of saving the kingdom. HaCha, was this really too much to ask for? Ah, the old we'll never see each other again trick. Though it seems to have actually stuck this time. Kind of makes me not want the crossover movies. Hah, Shut and Lock are stuck on Earth. Yay, everyone got what they wanted. Except maybe Haruka? Well she seems happy.

Easily the best finale since Suite, and in the top 3 finales overall. Final thoughts to come later. They'll probably be both more positive and negative than one might expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom