• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trapeze (空中ブランコ [Mid-air Balanço]) aka Welcome to Irabu's Office - Episode 1

Also, it has music by Denki Groove and Denki Groove rocks.

Yes, they do.

Trapeze (空中ブランコ [Mid-air Balanço]) aka Welcome to Irabu's Office - Episode 2

I like how the scenarios stand alone but at the same time feel very connected in a small slice of Tokyo. The ward manager in this episode was seen in the first episode when they visited for the permits, and there are various other connections in every episode which tie in with the stories of other episodes. Very neat. The calendar stock footage is also a great way to communicate the timeline and connectivity to viewers without having to make it an overt part of the dialogue.

The Magnolia-esque connections between different characters and their stories definitely appeal to me. It's one of the reasons I like Tokyo Godfathers so much.

Trapeze (空中ブランコ [Mid-air Balanço]) aka Welcome to Irabu's Office - Episode 4

One thing I really enjoy from watching this show, especially after Mononoke, is that in almost every story, there is really no "bad guy" so to speak. Even when there appear to be antagonistic elements, in the end it is very much people being people, and tensions being social relationship issues rather than active acts of sabotage or ill intent. That goes a long way in making a show about mental illness less depressing and more consumable, without watering it down or making light of it. The way the cases are resolved also tend to have an optimistic tone to them, but not with any sort of real finality, because as we all know, living is tough, and living with personal problems is a constant struggle. But simply having a fresh perspective to a brighter side of life can make a huge difference. I love the way the episode ended.

I think Trapeze does a good job at portraying mental illness as something you can learn to live with and work through, but not something you can take a magic pill or find a magic formula and make it all go away. Not that Trapeze deals with any extremely debilitating mental illnesses (you'd have to use a different approach for serious schizophrenia or similar problems, plus that'd move beyond the realm of entertainment which Trapeze still strives for), but the principles it espouses are the right way to handle the subject in general.

Trapeze (空中ブランコ [Mid-air Balanço]) aka Welcome to Irabu's Office - Episode 5

While the crux of this case is about a middle age guy who just wants to hang loose but feels trapped by social conventions which he assumes have to be met, hence overcompensating by allowing his imagination to egg him on to do really ridiculous things, there is another side to the story. The encouragement on the part of Irabu here seems somewhat malicious, if only because it seems Irabu himself has the same tendencies of immaturity, except not bottled in. The combination is pretty humorous but almost leads to disastrous outcomes. I feel there's a side of Irabu here which we haven't seen before, and I can't say I really approve of it!

Irabu is an interesting, ambiguous, mysterious figure, sort of similar to the Medicine Seller in Mononoke, only more flamboyant and unhinged (and not so appealing to fujoshi). The strength of his character helps to anchor the show.

Trapeze (空中ブランコ [Mid-air Balanço]) aka Welcome to Irabu's Office - Episode 6

It's funny seeing an episode dealing with cellphone addiction in youths in an anime produced so long ago that all the phones in the episode are feature phones. Flip phones to boot! A reminder that the mobile wave definitely hit Japan earlier and stronger than the rest of the world, even before smartphones became the norm.

Yeah, this episode is more relevant to us in the US now than it was in 2009.

Serious

Has any good ever come out of fan fiction?

Personally, I've enjoyed To the Stars way more than Madoka itself, though it's not for everyone. Fairy Dance of Death is also excellent, although most SAO fics are incredibly awful (and blatant) self-insert shit. Hopefully both of those actually get completed. There's some pretty enjoyable stuff lying around in general if you're willing to search for it, though I can't blame people for not wanting to bother. Fanfiction's always been a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine.

tuffy

Serious post (well the other post was serious too but still): Do you Remember Love is the only Macross thing that I watched and it was freaking beautiful.
It's hard to recommend starting with DYRL though just because it doesn't give anything a proper introduction. What's with the big spaceship? What's that city all about? Who's the idol singer? Who's attacking the ship now, and why? Did that big spaceship just transform? Etc. etc. etc.

Starting with the TV series is liable to be easier.

Russ T

Banned
Yamishibai S3 - 04

HAHAHAHAHAHA WHAT

i thguht the rat lady from last episode was too funny

this fuckin

i actually laughed out loud

yamishibai you be clownin

Yes I would say the narrative in OG FMA is less clean. The threads are messier, not everything is satisfying, but so many of the actual events all the way to the end just have so much more impact. It feels more raw and passionate, like the staff enjoyed the manga but wanted to express their own unique views as well through the material. FMA:B has more consistent production quality, more modern aesthetics, is pretty faithful to the manga, but feels like something made with the mandate "satisfy those who want to see a faithful manga adaptation" above all else. I found that boring, and the pacing wasn't that great. Didn't really need 64 eps imo.

I agree. The difference between FMA 2003 and FMA Brotherhood is similar to the difference between the 1999 and 2011 adaptations of Hunter X Hunter (at least what can be directly compared through Yorkshin): the first anime adaptation of the material adds more anime-original content with the staff trying to add their own touch to the story and lend it some real gravitas, consequently having stronger overall direction than the second anime adaptation, which is a more straightforward, "faithful" plopping of the manga down on screen but feels a lot shallower in its approach to the material.

And yes, the pacing in FMA: Brotherhood is extremely haphazard. The first cour rushes like crazy, then it kind of evens out, then the last cour or so drags like hell. It's kind of painful to watch.

I'm amazed no one told you to avoid the filler. The manga is much better. It also has a proper ending with the Jinchu arc.

If you haven't seen the Tsuioku-hen OVA check that out too. One of animes GOAT.

As soon as I have a a bit more money I'll try the manga. Right now I'm finishing my Reborn! manga collection.

Serious

which macross should I start with

If you intend to watch them all, SDF. If you want to just check out the franchise, Frontier is also a perfectly fine entrance point (TV series first, movies after optionally). All Macrosses are stand-alone, with a decent amount of call-backs and character/family relationships to older series, none of which are really that important to know.

It's pretty sad to see people downplay Handa-kun because a season 2 of Barakamon isn't being animated instead. I say this because Handa-kun has far better comedy than Barakamon. Each have there strength and weaknesses but both are great in there own way.

Oh well at least I'll see animated Eraser-kun.

nZb94ci.jpg

Cornbread78

Dimension W ep.4
Ok, WTF is going on with all the parallel
world's with dead/ghost people that some can see and some can't
Is this all from one of the "numbers"

Yes I would say the narrative in OG FMA is less clean. The threads are messier, not everything is satisfying, but so many of the actual events all the way to the end just have so much more impact. It feels more raw and passionate, like the staff enjoyed the manga but wanted to express their own unique views as well through the material. FMA:B has more consistent production quality, more modern aesthetics, is pretty faithful to the manga, but feels like something made with the mandate "satisfy those who want to see a faithful manga adaptation" above all else. I found that boring, and the pacing wasn't that great. Didn't really need 64 eps imo.

Can't say I really see that as a big negative myself.

I mean, with FMA and FMAB, we pretty much have an everybody wins scenario. The manga fans have their show, and the anime-only fans have theirs.

I do appreciate when shows try to be faithful to the original work, respect of the artist's original vision and all that.

I mean, I'm not going to throw a fit if it isn't exact, but if a studio makes a large effort to do that, I respect them for that.

It's why I'm sticking with FMAB. I don't plan on reading the manga, so I feel like I might as well watch the version that's more faithful to it.

Clov

Often it's better to not stick strictly to the mangaka's original vision though. Look at Hunter X Hunter's (2011) Chimera Ant arc for example. There's a great story in there, just surrounded by so much garbage. Like, do I have to watch another episode about this annoying octopus? Is this wolfman really that important? The arc would have benefited a lot from some editing.

Sterok

Shirayukihime 16

Shirayuki has great chemistry with so many people. I'm fine with Zen/Shirayuki, but she's a lot of fun with both Obi and Raj. Those twins continue to be great. Didn't think Zen would be that open yet. Looks like shit is going down next episode.

ibyea

Banned
FMA > FMA:B

My man. :D

This. Some of the changes were amazing, like the origins of the humunculi. And while the ending itself may be bittersweet, I prefer it. The Elric brothers finish what they set out to do, but like everything in that universe, they pay a price. There is actual sacrifice involved.

Too bad the movie sucks, but oh well.

duckroll

Can't say I really see that as a big negative myself.

I mean, with FMA and FMAB, we pretty much have an everybody wins scenario. The manga fans have their show, and the anime-only fans have theirs.

I do appreciate when shows try to be faithful to the original work, respect of the artist's original vision and all that.

I mean, I'm not going to throw a fit if it isn't exact, but if a studio makes a large effort to do that, I respect them for that.

It's why I'm sticking with FMAB. I don't plan on reading the manga, so I feel like I might as well watch the version that's more faithful to it.

It's not a negative, it is what it is. Depending on what you're looking for though, that can be exciting or boring. I already have the FMA manga on my shelf, I read the manga, I don't really need to see the exact same thing animated again. It's boring to me.

I agree it's great that both exist. I was just comparing them on a personal level.

I read the first volume or so of the FMA manga after watching the 2003 anime, and was rather disappointed that much of what I liked about the anime didn't come across well in the manga. Ed and Al's relationship in particular felt weaker and more unappealing to me. So I can't say I think faithfulness to the manga is an asset in this case, especially with how lame and generic battle shounen the finale of FMA manga/Brotherhood gets.

In general, while panel-for-panel translations of manga into anime can turn out OK, I'll always have more respect for anime adaptations whose staff want to put their own touch on the series in some way. That doesn't have to mean significant story changes, of course. The script for the Flowers of Evil anime is pretty much taken verbatim from the manga, but the rotoscoping and style of direction Nagahama uses gives the anime a completely different feel from the manga. Presentation matters a lot.

Ah, the old FMA vs Brotherhood debate.
I can't peg one better than the other really, but I will say that I like the general tone of the 2003 series more. The ending of Brotherhood was a bit too happy for my taste.

Plus that terrible proposal scene.

blurr

Ah, the old FMA vs Brotherhood debate.
I can't peg one better than the other really, but I will say that I like the general tone of the 2003 series more. The ending of Brotherhood was a bit too happy for my taste.

Plus that terrible proposal scene.

I really thought it was a happiness well earned so I quite liked it and
that proposal scene was lovely.

JCG

Still not sure why this exists. I like Code Geass, but most people wanted R3 or remake movies, not... this.

Because the creators moved on and didn't want to make R3 (thankfully), plus Sunrise wasn't mindlessly greedy at the time.

So they invited Kazuki Akane to bring his own interpretations and expand on those, not just copy S1+R2. There is also one manga spin-off (Oz) which supposedly feels a little closer to the TV series without being a clone either, but I haven't read enough of it to judge.

Either way, I do admit Akito could have worked better as a full-length TV show. Still, I liked it and expect the last episode to be the most exciting entry. That said, I am willing to bet Sunrise will announce something else this year. Maybe not this weekend though, since there's still the 10th anniversary coming up in Fall. Remake films, a proper AU or yet another kind of spin-off are still possible.

The sales say otherwise. Just because you're not interested doesn't mean "no one" is.

True, but it does occasionally seem we're the only ones on this particular forum who care. Anyway, I hope the producers do learn the right lesson from all these delays.

FMA OG was the better anime until it reaches the split where different shit starts happening and it's entirely based on Brotherhood assuming everyone had watched the OG and breezing right the fuck through all of it. Both Hughes' death and Bradley stabbing that girl through Al, perhaps my two favorite moments of the series, are infinitely less effective in Brotherhood because they don't spend any time before or during those parts and as a result I was much less attached to the characters.

Everything after the parallel parts Brotherhood actually takes it's time with and as a result it's way better.

But everything where they hit the same events? OG does it much better. Which might be a bit unfair because it came first before the manga was finished but whatever.

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood - 4

Sweet Merciful Crap.

That was some Gendo Ikari shit right there. Except I don't think even Gendo was that selfish and twisted, and he's a guy
whose plan was to cause Third Impact and kill everybody in the world just so he could be reunited with his dead wife.

You, Shou Tucker
fused your own daughter and DOG into an abomination just for the sake of keeping your damn job.

That was a new one. I'm impressed. There's bad anime dads and then there's Shou Tucker.

ibyea

Banned

Sweet Merciful Crap.

That was some Gendo Ikari shit right there. Except I don't think even Gendo was that selfish and twisted, and he's a guy
whose plan was to cause Third Impact and kill everybody in the world just so he could be reunited with his dead wife.

You, Shou Tucker
fused your own daughter and DOG into an abomination just for the sake of keeping your damn job.

That was a new one. I'm impressed. There's bad anime dads and then there's Shou Tucker.

Nah, I still say Ikari edges out for the
end of the world crap.
Shou Tucker's horribleness is a lot more visceral, though.

Nah, I still say Ikari edges out for the
end of the world crap.
Shou Tucker's horribleness is a lot more visceral, though.

True, but unlike Shou Tucker,
in the end, Ikari was actually repentant of his actions.

Shou Tucker's final moments involved him wondering why nobody understood him. Not once did he think: "oh man I messed up". He believed he was in the right. He wasn't in a state of madness or regret, he did it without remorse all for the sake of keeping his job.

Sweet Merciful Crap.

You, Shou Tucker

Fun fact on the volumes of the manga, characters who die are shown going up to heaven, except Shou Tucker who goes straight to hell

kewlmyc

The sales say otherwise. Just because you're not interested doesn't mean "no one" is.

I mean the whole thought process behind Akito. Making a side series that takes place in the middle of the series, features only two of the characters of the series in somewhat side roles, and is 5 theatrical OVAs instead of movies or a TV show. It's obvious anything CG would sell. Just seems odd that the next media push for Code Geass is a sideplot that ultimately didn't affect anything in the series since it takes place before R2 and the main character of the series won't even remember this event.

Because the creators moved on and didn't want to make R3 (thankfully), plus Sunrise wasn't mindlessly greedy at the time.

So they invited Kazuki Akane to bring his own interpretations and expand on those, not just copy S1+R2. There is also one manga spin-off (Oz) which supposedly feels a little closer to the TV series without being a clone either, but I haven't read enough of it to judge.

Either way, I do admit Akito could have worked better as a full-length TV show. Still, I liked it and expect the last episode to be the most exciting entry. That said, I am willing to bet Sunrise will announce something else this year. Maybe not this weekend though, since there's still the 10th anniversary coming up in Fall. Remake films, a proper AU or yet another kind of spin-off are still possible.

Ah, this makes sense.

ibyea

Banned
True, but unlike Shou Tucker,
in the end, Ikari was actually repentant of his actions.

Shou Tucker's final moments involved him wondering why nobody understood him. Not once did he think: "oh man I messed up". He believed he was in the right. He wasn't in a state of madness or regret, he did it without remorse all for the sake of keeping his job.

Yeah, but Ikari in the end
succeeded in ending the world. Repentant or not, his actions were of far graver consequences, and talk is cheap, in the end his repentance meant jack shit.
I am biased though because he was the first anime dad I ever despised.

Cornbread78

Cat Planet Cuties ep.5-6
We go from some kidnapping hyjinks with Eris being worshipped as a God by a bunch of cat people wannabes to some attempted emotional scenes with the two girls trying to sort out their feelings for Kio. Poor childhood friend.. Also, Eris, the kitty alien was in heat and had to
take pills to atop her from being in heat..
hilarious stuff. For such a cheesy show, it sure is entertaining.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I did a private count and the winner is
haha fuck you!

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 3-4

The period atmosphere continues strong, as does the characterization. There's a good use of close-ups that enhances the intimacy between characters, whether it is Bon and Shin sharing a pinky promise or Bon being seduced by Miyokichi. Sukeroku's rakugo performance in episode 4 was really well done, both in Yamadera's voice acting and in the careful visual depiction of the performance.

It's interesting that Mamoru Hatakeyama is storyboarding less of this show than he did of Sankarea, where he did the first three episodes plus OP and two later episodes, or of Rozen Maiden, where he storyboarded the first six episodes plus the last one. In his previous shows it kind of felt like he didn't have underlings he could trust to carry out his vision. He may have found trustworthy people by now though. Episode 3 was storyboarded by Tomomi Mochizuki, a veteran director who handled House of Five Leaves and served as sound director and head writer on Hatakeyama's Rozen Maiden. Episode 4 was storyboarded by Shinobu Tagashira, who has worked on some dubious shows such as Diabolik Lovers, but seems to have talent and skill as a storyboarder. The episode of Shounen Hollywood that she storyboarded, episode 5 of season 2, was impressive enough that it made me seek out her name. Her storyboard for episode 4 of Rakugo Shinjuu certainly impressed in many areas. I'm curious to see who will end up storyboarding the rest of the series.

duckroll

Everything after the parallel parts Brotherhood actually takes it's time with and as a result it's way better.

But everything where they hit the same events? OG does it much better. Which might be a bit unfair because it came first before the manga was finished but whatever.

Don't really agree, although I get what you're saying, sorta. In terms of the manga and FMAB, Olivier is the big win. Armstrong lacks closure to his character arc without her, and his character is generally less balanced too. So everything developing her was good and pays off.

But there's a lot that I feel FMA did different which also had more impact than FMAB.
Scar turning into a religious zealot revolutionary is something which I feel works so much better than his actual role in the original story. The original FMA story is just so much more magnanimous when it comes to redemption and people seeing the light, it comes off as a bit too naive given the setting. I feel the same way about Mustang too. There's no question that Lust vs Mustang in FMAB is a masterpiece of an episode. But I never quite liked how the manga handled Mustang vs Envy at the end. It felt like such an artificial way for him to get his revenge and also hold back and redeem himself as a man. I felt the OG anime handled his character climax so much better. He turned his back on everything he cared about to fight against the authority he swore to uphold, watched the Fuhrer sacrifice his own son, and then he destroys him in rage, only realizing at the end that he's getting pretty close to becoming what he fought too. Also, he actually loses an eye, instead of the original story's JUST KIDDING sacrifice. :p

In general I felt that the OG anime took the theme of "sacrifice" more seriously than the original story at the end, especially with regards to all the main characters. Also, that scene in the OG anime where Mustang and Ed meet for one last time before they go confront their respective demons is probably the best character moment between them in any FMA continuity. So fucking good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom