• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Koyomimonogatari 04

These episodes continue being great. As much as it may hurt to say this, and as offended as this series' fans may be, I enjoy these more than the actual normal episodes.

[Go! Princess Precure] - 50 END

The Flora vs Close fight had so much sakuga! That was awesome.

And they had time to show the aftermath. One of the things I really dislike about anime/manga endings is that they don't show the aftermath, I was thinking it would end in episode 49 after they won and a fast happily ever after, glad they didn't.

And I'm a sucker for that glimpse of the future of characters in endings, even if in this case it was really short.

MVP: Yui.

Why would we vote for a Kusomonogatari series?
4Fw4L6Z.jpg

kewlmyc

Osomatsu-san 17

A whole episode of Jyushimatsu? I like the character but the first few skits kinda annoyed me, but the skits towards the end I liked, particularly the "Jyushimatsu-pan" skit and "Jyushimatsu" skit at the very end.

Rurouni Kenshin 1-END

Well that 30 episodes filler ending was meh. At least the Kyoto arc was ok. I gotta admit I was hoping for a little more from this. So many parts were slow and boring and even when there was some *action* it wasn't always great. I'll try to see if the mangas are better! Viz got those BIG edition for sales.

Yowamushi Pedal S1-S2

On the other end this was amazing even if a little ridiculous at times with that talking while biking. Naruko is such an amazing characters and so are all the other characters. Loved it.
Still no sports show beats either Big windup or Haikyu for me. These two are just too good.

Digimon our War game

I think i am now at my 100th time watching this movie and I never get tired of it. It's just too good and I can't stop smiling every time I'm watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZjKFmU8RXQ

This moment is one my favourite.

Quasar

That seems to be the main draw. Look, it's Oshino Meme, its Hanekawa with glasses and long hair, its Senjougahara with long hair, its Nadeko before she went insanee

Hell..its Senjougahara on screen with Araragi again. Been so long. Though maybe I was happiest seeing the episode 3 opening.

This is funny no matter the intention!

I don't know, it's a little funny. Edit: Wait....I for some reason thought you said this wasn't funny. Brain, please work.

Oh, and this so far is the only fight in Garo Crimson Moon that is kinda worth watching. The horror in the fight actually feels threatening.

I actually like the idea of Horrors powering up because of the moon. The cool effect they put on the moon was also nice.
But all this horror did was become a bit bigger, and the next one to power up just did something a horror in the last season did.

Jintor

Finished Aoi Hana. Nothing to really say about it it was fine overall, good character driven show combined with little drama but it had a pretty groan worthy "read the manga" finish.

But just want to tangent from that to say: Why has Girlfriends or any Milk Moringa never received an adaptation? She's arguably the most famous current yuri mangaka and the vast majority of her output is really good.

Like when we get shit like Sakura Trick, which just ultra pandering, why can we not get an actual yuri show that focuses on the relationships in a serious manner. No, is that too much to ask for?

Rant over.

There was one yuri show I recall that was pretty good, ran for about a season, utterly tanked iirc. Can't remember the name. Tall brunette with glasses and cute blonde chick I think.

Cornbread78

Evangelion ep.15
Ok, we'really moving along here, especially at the ending. But first, that kissing scene
with Shinji x Asuka was hilarious. Thinking back and my buddy made me kiss his sister for my first time so I would learn how to do it before I actually tried to pick up chicks. The shit you do when you're bored in middle school, lol
Anyway, jealous Asuka was funny, She is not gonna get her man, lol.

Prince of Stride Alternative 3

After the show had set up the stakes of Honan losing their sponsor if they lost this race, I was sure they were going to win, even if it was close. But it ended up being the other way around; it was close, but Honan lost, in a race that clearly showed the strengths and weaknesses of their team members - their present inadequacies but the potential they have to build upon. I appreciate the path Kishimoto took here.

I'm still loving the show's sense of style. The pre-race conversations overlaid on the race course runthrough were really cool; very creative visual direction. The music remains excellent. I liked the little track that played after the commercial break.

Tabi Machi Late Show 4 END

A pleasant ending to a gently sweet picture drama. The bittersweet mixture of emotions that coursed throughout really appealed to me. Neither too sentimental nor too melodramatic, but a simple picture of changes that happen in human relationships.

Dimension W 04

This episode just elevated this show by one point in my eyes. Pretty damn good.

Grimgar 04

The whole episode was a setup for what happened in the middle there. Had it spoiled thanks to someone completely spoiling it. Not like they weren't hinting it hard anyway. It's gonna be interesting to see what they do now without their leader, which was their healer too.

Deadly

Rurouni Kenshin 1-END

Well that 30 episodes filler ending was meh. At least the Kyoto arc was ok. I gotta admit I was hoping for a little more from this. So many parts were slow and boring and even when there was some *action* it wasn't always great. I'll try to see if the mangas are better! Viz got those BIG edition for sales.
I'm amazed no one told you to avoid the filler. The manga is much better. It also has a proper ending with the Jinchu arc.

If you haven't seen the Tsuioku-hen OVA check that out too. One of animes GOAT.

duckroll

4 days to go before the Code Geass Akito the Exiled finale opens in Japan. Will Sunrise even finish it in time? I've heard horror stories! :)

Joe Molotov

I had this thought right before I drifted off to sleep last night, and I forgot it when I woke up, but then I remembered it again just now.

What if they made an anime adaptation of Nineteen Eighty-Four, and the main antagonist was Little Sister?

duckroll

Milos rocks because it had Konishi designs and Kameda animation. Shamballa rocks because it has an entire action segment storyboarded by Yutapon. I love BONES.

Dresden

I still haven't seen any of the 2003 anime. Is it worth watching having only seen Brotherhood?

Story wise it diverges pretty early on, not substantially at first but the differences are still there. And of course the back third is completely different. It's also the better show.

And you'll finally be able to join in on all the 2003 vs brohood arguments that don't really happen anymore but hey that's what the create thread function is for.

Clov

If you mean the movie then hell no

If you mean the 2003 show it's worth watching, even if there are things about it I don't like.

I meant both the 2003 TV and Shambala, since I've seen Brotherhood (and Milos, which I didn't care much for). Even if Shambala's not great, if I watch the 2003 show then I'll probably end up watching it anyway.

Story wise it diverges pretty early on, not substantially at first but the differences are still there. And of course the back third is completely different. It's also the better show.

And you'll finally be able to join in on all the 2003 vs brohood arguments that don't really happen anymore but hey that's what the create thread function is for.

It's been years since I've seen Brotherhood anyway, so it'll be mostly fresh to me. I just might watch it later on then, if it really is better.

Cornbread78

Evangelion ep.16-17
Ok, some sketchy shit going on IN NERV headquarters and Misato is catching on. We'really finally getting insight into Adam, but what has Rei been doing with Commander Ikari? Also,
a 4th pilot (his buddy) for only 3 mechs? Is Shinji getting booted?
Looks like we're getting closer to what is really going on.

tuffy

I still haven't seen any of the 2003 anime. Is it worth watching having only seen Brotherhood?
Some of the earlier material in the 2003 version is handled better, but it has a lot of filler and many of its plot threads aren't resolved as cleanly as in Brotherhood. For a bit of fun, trying watching both of them concurrently and spot the weird coincidences - like meeting Barry for the first time in the same episode in both versions (but in different forms).

duckroll

Yes I would say the narrative in OG FMA is less clean. The threads are messier, not everything is satisfying, but so many of the actual events all the way to the end just have so much more impact. It feels more raw and passionate, like the staff enjoyed the manga but wanted to express their own unique views as well through the material. FMA:B has more consistent production quality, more modern aesthetics, is pretty faithful to the manga, but feels like something made with the mandate "satisfy those who want to see a faithful manga adaptation" above all else. I found that boring, and the pacing wasn't that great. Didn't really need 64 eps imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom