• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moaradin

seems like it was heavily inspired by the devil's worlds in Madoka.

One Piece eps 1-29

I started watching this to find a replacement for fairy tail, since I'm all caught up on it and I gotta say. It's pretty difficult to get into. the pacing for the episodes suck. There seems to be a lot of filler in the episodes so my attention wanes a lot. I also hate how much recap there is. Does this get better? I assume cause I'm on season 1 the budget is just shit,

You're one episode away from the arc where One Piece starts clicking for a lot of people, so yeah I'd say it gets a lot better.

Mendrox

One Piece eps 1-29

I started watching this to find a replacement for fairy tail, since I'm all caught up on it and I gotta say. It's pretty difficult to get into. the pacing for the episodes suck. There seems to be a lot of filler in the episodes so my attention wanes a lot. I also hate how much recap there is. Does this get better? I assume cause I'm on season 1 the budget is just shit,

You watched Fairy Tail so please do not talk about bad art/animation. :D

One Piece gets way way better with the next arc although I think the first few episodes are nice too. :)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I notice it getting more mentions recently in OT recommendation threads, so it needs to be said, The Woman Called Fujiko Mine is a trap anime up there with Boku no Pico and School Days.

Actually, I'd argue it's even worse. At least with the other two a simple Google search will reveal their infamy, but with TWCFM you'll get results related to the rest of the Lupin universe, including a Ghibli movie; thus leading the unsuspecting viewer to think they'll get a good show.

It's always presented with a "cool looking" image as the kind of show the Cowboy Bebop crowd will like but all it will do if cause more people to hate the medium after they finally finish with it (if they even get that far). Heck, the first episode adds to the trap. You watch that and think, "hey, this is quite cool" and then BAM after a few more episodes you become a broken husk 'owling into the night.

Say no to The Woman Called Fujiko Mine!

Chindogg

I notice it getting more mentions recently in OT recommendation threads, so it needs to be said, The Woman Called Fujiko Mine is a trap anime up there with Boku no Pico and School Days.

Actually, I'd argue it's even worse. At least with the other two a simple Google search will reveal their infamy, but with TWCFM you'll get results related to the rest of the Lupin universe, including a Ghibli movie; thus leading the unsuspecting viewer to think they'll get a good show.

It's always presented with a "cool looking" image as the kind of show the Cowboy Bebop crowd will like but all it will do if cause more people to hate the medium after they finally finish with it (if they even get that far). Heck, the first episode adds to the trap. You watch that and think, "hey, this is quite cool" and then BAM after a few more episodes you become a broken husk 'owling into the night.

What's so bad about it?

John Blade

That was more or less my gateway anime when trying anime again as an adult. Loved it so much. I even liked the dub...but that might be because I had no access to tne sub. Still...it caused frustration where the later ovas never got dubbed.

Ah my goddess TV show is one show I go back to watch as its kinda my fun show if I need something to snuggle to if I get bored of watching anime. I do like the dub for the most part except for skull character which sound a bit annoying when she speak. For the TV season, both are good but it will come down to if you want belldanday to have emotion as season 2, she get her emotion which cause some issue in the show. Not bad as you can go so far of been a perfect lady in the show before it get morning.

For dub of the Ova, are you talking about the TV Ova or the Ova of the series as the later do have eng dub as I own the copy. Still, a fun series for the most part which is very easy to get into if you like a bit of slice of life and relationship anime.

Jintor

you make me wanna watch it to find out what's up. I watched an episode and it didn't seem offensive though it wasn't nearly as good as I hoped.

Theonik

you make me wanna watch it to find out what's up. I watched an episode and it didn't seem offensive though it wasn't nearly as good as I hoped.
It gets much worse. A lot of us were kinda liking it early on say for the first couple of episodes. Episode 2 is kinda cool.

What's so bad about it?
Rushed confusing and filled with Okada angst about child abuse, drugs and owl men.
It also kinda murders Lupin characters to edgy angst firecrackers.

Aki-at

Huh I didn't think Fujiko Mine was so disliked, it seemed to be an enjoyable show to me. Only thing that bothered me was the excessive nudity and the ending to the series
no way were they going to make Fujiko a victim of child abuse so I thought it'd get brushed under the carpet.

brawly

One Piece eps 1-29

There's no filler until episode 50.

Show picks up, I did love it from the very first episode though.

Osomatsu-san v1 = 79,108

Event ticket I think tho

So the overall average will probably be less, because TV anime almost always diminishes in sales with each successive volume, but if that number stayed roughly consistent Osomatsu-san would slot in right below Bakemonogatari as the second best selling TV anime ever. That's huge. Looking at individual volume sales over the past several years, there are some first volumes that managed to sell more - Attack on Titan vol. 1 is at 84,501; Love Live vol. 1 is at the ridiculous 116,896 - but then Osomatsu-san vol. 1's sales number will likely end up a bit higher and the massive success of those other two shows could have been predicted much more easily. I mean, even with some fujoshi appeal which was clearly hoped for from the start, who would have thought an experimental comedy revival original quasi-sequel of a decades-old manga would end up being one of the best-selling anime ever made? This is crazy.

Clov

Yeah, Osomatsu's sales are pretty fantastic. I had a feeling it was quite popular though; there's a ridiculous amount of merchandise on sites like AmiAmi right now. The shows that are the most popular often get tons and tons of it. You can get anything from plushies of the brothers, to cups and stamps. There's even a "Totty" mug for sale.

Yeah, Osomatsu's sales are pretty fantastic. I had a feeling it was quite popular though; there's a ridiculous amount of merchandise on sites like AmiAmi right now. The shows that are the most popular often get tons and tons of it. You can get anything from plushies of the brothers, to cups and stamps. There's even a "Totty" mug for sale.

Yeah, I hear Osomatsu-san has totally taken over fujoshi-driven anime stores (and sections of stores) in Japan such as Animate. Women are hungry for the Matsus.

People you're all missing the most important info in the new sales data!

The cheap full series release of Space Dandy sold 2,935 units! That's like 10 times what the entire series sold in volume!

Season 3 basically already confirmed.

Jintor

Utena 15

Does every goddamn sister in this series have a brocon fetish? like holy shit.

I hope we break out of the "interesting antagonist story sidelines utena until she saves the day via stock footage" loop soon

/edit oh jesus christ the next episode looks REAL DUMB

Quasar

Ah my goddess TV show is one show I go back to watch as its kinda my fun show if I need something to snuggle to if I get bored of watching anime. I do like the dub for the most part except for skull character which sound a bit annoying when she speak. For the TV season, both are good but it will come down to if you want belldanday to have emotion as season 2, she get her emotion which cause some issue in the show. Not bad as you can go so far of been a perfect lady in the show before it get morning.

For dub of the Ova, are you talking about the TV Ova or the Ova of the series as the later do have eng dub as I own the copy. Still, a fun series for the most part which is very easy to get into if you like a bit of slice of life and relationship anime.

The ovas that come after the end of the show. The last only being a couple of years ago.

So the overall average will probably be less, because TV anime almost always diminishes in sales with each successive volume, but if that number stayed roughly consistent Osomatsu-san would slot in right below Bakemonogatari as the second best selling TV anime ever. That's huge. Looking at individual volume sales over the past several years, there are some first volumes that managed to sell more - Attack on Titan vol. 1 is at 84,501; Love Live vol. 1 is at the ridiculous 116,896 - but then Osomatsu-san vol. 1's sales number will likely end up a bit higher and the massive success of those other two shows could have been predicted much more easily. I mean, even with some fujoshi appeal which was clearly hoped for from the start, who would have thought an experimental comedy revival original quasi-sequel of a decades-old manga would end up being one of the best-selling anime ever made? This is crazy.

Yeah, I hear Osomatsu-san has totally taken over fujoshi-driven anime stores (and sections of stores) in Japan such as Animate. Women are hungry for the Matsus.

This seems all so crazy to me. I've only seen 2 or 3 episodes I think and I guess they mix it up a lot but still, to think that this show would sell that extremely well.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Nico2rank dance_it, sang_it are dominated with Osomatsu-san, so i am not surprised at all. The comedy was good, all stars seiyuu, ikemen type.

First week sales of Attack on Titan v1 was 56,793 and for Love Live S2 v1 it was 82,119, so if Osomatsu-san v1 got a long tail it could do similar numbers as Love Live.

Seems Osomatsu-san v2 got an event ticket too so it will probably sell much higher than average too.

jonjonaug

More than half of those Osomatsu sales are for the DVD release. This sure is a fujo show.

Not that I'm complaining. If any show deserves such massive success it's Osomatsu.

Eila

duckroll

My favorite one from Brotherhood is Rain (5th OP).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr1s1VQKSzo

As for the 2003 series, the EDs are somehow much better than the OPs, even if the animation quality isn't as good. The songs fit the "edgy" mood of the series better, namely the 1st, 2nd and 4th. The 3rd one is weird.

Of course thr EDs are great. They're all done by Suzuki. God-tier animator and ED director at BONES. He's so good he doesn't need to be credited anymore. If we see a great ED without credits in his style, we know who did it.

phaze

One Piece eps 1-29

The pacing gets worse if anything, though from what I understand, only much later, the story does pick up but if you don't like it now, there is a chance you won't like it even when it does.

Utena 15

Does every goddamn sister in this series have a brocon fetish? like holy shit.

I hope we break out of the "interesting antagonist story sidelines utena until she saves the day via stock footage" loop soon

/edit oh jesus christ the next episode looks REAL DUMB

haha

no

Utena is a non-entity with zero agency in this arc.

Best things from FMA:
Scar vs. Bradley and Mustang vs Envy

I will give the series this, it always made me look forward to the fights.

:brofist

Brotherhood>

You are beautiful people with great taste.

And I don't understand how anyone can talk crap about Brotherhood's ending. It was simply perfect. Why must everything be bad, dark and awry. The brothers went through so much throughout the whole series, they deserved a good ending.

And I don't understand how anyone can talk crap about Brotherhood's ending. It was simply perfect. Why must everything be bad, dark and awry. The brothers went through so much throughout the whole series, they deserved a good ending.

I actually realized that I have no real recollection of what happens at the end of Brotherhood. I guess it's kinda like Gurren Lagann where the climax (that Pride Vs. Tank fight!) vastly overshadows the epilogue.

Brotherhood >>> FMA while we're at it.

I actually realized that I have no real recollection of what happens at the end of Brotherhood. I guess it's kinda like Gurren Lagann where the climax (that Pride Vs. Tank fight!) vastly overshadows the epilogue.

Brotherhood >>> FMA while we're at it.
You and me both now that you mention it, I remember parts of what happened at the end, but those parts are related to fights. I don't really remember what happens storywise at the end.

I remember the end of FMA simply because I hated it and thought it was dumb.

Jarmel

Banned
It's honestly sorta weird comparing OG FMA to Brotherhood despite them being the same show. They accomplish different things in different ways which in some ways makes it hard to compare them.

OG FMA had some godawful abysmal lows on the writing side but also did do some aspects better than Brotherhood.

And I mean some serious stank ass lows.

Aki-at

Thanks for spoiling it for me buddy >: (

I already spoiled myself years ago because I didn't want Winry to get screwed over twice :(

Which reminds me I need to watch Brotherhood at some point.

Russ T

Banned
This seems all so crazy to me. I've only seen 2 or 3 episodes I think and I guess they mix it up a lot but still, to think that this show would sell that extremely well.

It's only improved over time. There were a few duds in the first cour, but it just got funnier and funnier and more bizarre and there's yet to be a bad episode so far this cour. They're been experimenting a lot and figuring out what works and what doesn't. It's really good.

Deadly

I'm sure there's one thing we can ALL agree on with regards to FMA right?

OG FMA OP/EDs + Songs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> FMAB OP/EDs + Songs
OG has READY STEADY GO and Rewrite so I'm just going to have to agree here.

Otherwise #TeamBrotherhood

duckroll

Why do fujos buy DVDs instead of BDs anyway? I never understood that concept.

Because studies show that women are smarter than men are so their senses accurately tell them that anime is low budget trash that would honestly look the same even in 240p.

I don't really think it will beat Bakemonogatari.

Wouldn't be surprised if it suffers a bigger drop than LL with the further releases.

Because studies show that women are smarter than men are so their senses accurately tell them that anime is low budget trash that would honestly look the same even in 240p.

Return to SVCD when?

I don't really think it will beat Bakemonogatari.

Wouldn't be surprised if it suffers a bigger drop than LL with the further releases.

Yes, it's unlikely for the total average to beat Bakemonogatari due to the event ticket effect, but even if it has a drop similar to or a bit greater than Love Live, that's still huge. You can bet producers are planning more Osomatsu-san in the near future (one of them even said as much) as well as figuring out how to replicate its success with other series.

It's honestly sorta weird comparing OG FMA to Brotherhood despite them being the same show. They accomplish different things in different ways which in some ways makes it hard to compare them.

OG FMA had some godawful abysmal lows on the writing side but also did do some aspects better than Brotherhood.

And I mean some serious stank ass lows.
My biggest issue with OG FMA was when they weren't fighting and trying to be detectives and shit, holy fuck that show was boring as hell during those moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom