• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Well...do hope you set yourself up for it as the TV series is fine for me might be boring for other. Stick with season 1 and if you like it, then go to season 2.

That was more or less my gateway anime when trying anime again as an adult. Loved it so much. I even liked the dub...but that might be because I had no access to tne sub. Still...it caused frustration where the later ovas never got dubbed.

Russ T

Banned
Osomatsu-san 17

Wow that was some rapid-fire insanity. Episode was not what I expected when I heard it was a Jyushimatsu episode.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I honestly use to be that person who believed Brotherhood was better than the 2003 version in the past. However, after rewatching the 2003 version again I realized it's so much better than Brotherhood. Yes 2003 did have loose ends and its weaknesses but the character drama and the atmosphere was so much fucking better than Brotherhood. The latter had so many unnecessary comedy moments that it ruined some of the atmosphere it built up. I also felt that the 2003 version handled the theme of equivalent exchange that the series built up quite well. I don't know if growing older is the cause of this new viewpoint, but yeah 2003 version to me is superior. The idea of the Homunculli was better in 2003 version than Brotherhood because it created a lot more emotional impact than just random goons created by some weird entity. Plus better music and Openings.

I'd take the 2003 version ending than the Shonen happy ever after cheesy ending Brotherhood had going for it anyday even if the formers ending had its issues.

Russ T

Banned
I'm on Team Neither FMA Is Really All That Great. I think the first one is definitely better during the first half, because things actually felt like they had an impact. Brotherhood absolutely rushed through a lot of that. Neither ending is bad, and neither ending is really better than the other. They're both interesting. I thiiiiink I like 2003's ending slightly more.

But... Neither series is anything I'd rank anywhere near the top of all-time animeseseses. They both rely way too much on shock value as a substitute for actual drama and interesting moments. I admit, I've always found the unending adoration for FMA in general to be a bit...shocking.

I'm on Team Neither FMA Is Really All That Great. I think the first one is definitely better during the first half, because things actually felt like they had an impact. Brotherhood absolutely rushed through a lot of that. Neither ending is bad, and neither ending is really better than the other. They're both interesting. I thiiiiink I like 2003's ending slightly more.

But... Neither series is anything I'd rank anywhere near the top of all-time animeseseses. They both rely way too much on shock value as a substitute for actual drama and interesting moments. I admit, I've always found the unending adoration for FMA in general to be a bit...shocking.

It's not shocking since it's one of the better executed Shonen series out there.

duckroll

I'm sure there's one thing we can ALL agree on with regards to FMA right?

OG FMA OP/EDs + Songs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> FMAB OP/EDs + Songs

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
There's a few moments of shock value but the scenes that stand out the strongest in my mind are the very human moments.

Al accepting the use of the philosopher's stone being the big one.

Similarly, Ed coming to terms with using Envy's stone.

Roy's rage over Envy's taunting.

Al's self transmutation.

Bradley's death.

Russ T

Banned
Don't really agree, although I get what you're saying, sorta. In terms of the manga and FMAB, Olivier is the big win. Armstrong lacks closure to his character arc without her, and his character is generally less balanced too. So everything developing her was good and pays off.

But there's a lot that I feel FMA did different which also had more impact than FMAB.
Scar turning into a religious zealot revolutionary is something which I feel works so much better than his actual role in the original story. The original FMA story is just so much more magnanimous when it comes to redemption and people seeing the light, it comes off as a bit too naive given the setting. I feel the same way about Mustang too. There's no question that Lust vs Mustang in FMAB is a masterpiece of an episode. But I never quite liked how the manga handled Mustang vs Envy at the end. It felt like such an artificial way for him to get his revenge and also hold back and redeem himself as a man. I felt the OG anime handled his character climax so much better. He turned his back on everything he cared about to fight against the authority he swore to uphold, watched the Fuhrer sacrifice his own son, and then he destroys him in rage, only realizing at the end that he's getting pretty close to becoming what he fought too. Also, he actually loses an eye, instead of the original story's JUST KIDDING sacrifice. :p

In general I felt that the OG anime took the theme of "sacrifice" more seriously than the original story at the end, especially with regards to all the main characters. Also, that scene in the OG anime where Mustang and Ed meet for one last time before they go confront their respective demons is probably the best character moment between them in any FMA continuity. So fucking good.

THAT'S AN INTERESTING POST, DUCKROLL!!!!

pbayne

It's not shocking since it's one of the better executed Shonen series out there.

Yep its one of the few where you get a sense that the story was mostly fully planned out from start to finish(FMA).

Like I think most shounens start out with an interesting idea and have great initial arcs e.g Bleach, Naruto, Hakusho etc, but they quickly turn into edge of your pants writing as the mangaka's are pushed to just produce content every week.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Mei could do spooky transmutation at a distance.

Legit.

Qurupeke

TUSR, send me your tally please. There are two animes that are really, really close, a second confirmation for this would be appreciated.

Can we take a moment to appreciate how beautiful Shinobu Mail OP is

seems like it was heavily inspired by the devil's worlds in Madoka.

One Piece eps 1-29

I started watching this to find a replacement for fairy tail, since I'm all caught up on it and I gotta say. It's pretty difficult to get into. the pacing for the episodes suck. There seems to be a lot of filler in the episodes so my attention wanes a lot. I also hate how much recap there is. Does this get better? I assume cause I'm on season 1 the budget is just shit,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom