• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Oh he did Steins;Gate, too? Knowing that, yeh, that too had those bright backgrounds for dramatic purposes often.

They were a little to bright for my liking. Just the buzzing of the ceiling lights or the loud cicada buzzings on a hot summer day were good enough to convey that.

pbayne

I don't know how I'd feel about a remake. How about a new movie? That could be fun!

I wouldn't mind that either if its just a self-contained spin-off. Just as long as its not a direct sequel cause there's simply no need.

Maybe a strict adaption of the manga? It would be a lot tighter, condensed version of the show but a lot of the anime original content was really good. So i dunno. Im just happy if it gets anything.

Clov

I wouldn't mind that either if its just a self-contained spin-off. Just as long as its not a direct sequel cause there's simply no need.

Maybe a strict adaption of the manga? It would be a lot tighter, condensed version of the show but a lot of the anime original content was really good. So i dunno. Im just happy if it gets anything.

I don't know if I'd want a strict adaptation. It just wouldn't be as fun. I think a movie that would take place in between a set of episodes could work.

pbayne

Did sailor moon crystal turn a corner (for strict adaptions)?

I remember the start of the manga being really rough and a lot of people were complaining about the start of crystal(though that was because of the visuals too if i remember)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I actually wouldn't mind going to comic con. I just don't wanna go to an Anime one because if I see one person with cat ears going 'nyaaa' I'll leave immediately.
Just make sure you don't go on the same days as Narag then.

Did WUG Zoo win AOTY yet?
Don't worry, I told Qurupeke he can't have the banner for the results thread unless he guarantees that WUG Zoo is the winner.

blurr

Millennium Actress

zhDfc9f.jpg

After the work of art that is Perfect Blue, I was really looking forward to watching this one. Boy did it deliver.

I love Satoshi Kon's works for how well his messages and themes intertwine with the direction and the story. Miracles in Tokyo Godfathers and existentialism in Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress is no exception, it is vibrant and colorful with the theme on films or being an actress. I end up writing so much about his films more than any others because they have so much to say, some things are out right obvious and some much deeper. These are just the kind of films I cherish.

Essentially the movie tries to tell a story making use of, well, a series of films. An actress named Chiyoko narrates her life story in an interview presented through specific scenes from multiple films she had acted in. It's so seamless that not a moment felt disjointed from the interview or her own story. That being said, they don't over indulge in the film world but do retract to reality or her own memories at certain moments but rest assured, the narrative remains consistent, the setting varies. I believe her interviewers or specifically the camera man are an audience surrogate, since he is the only person who gives a natural reaction to every change in setting and scene.

The entire narrative follows her attempts to find a mysterious person she met when she was young. She makes use of films to extend her reach. Making herself known all around just for him.
While the film ends with her never actually getting to reunite with him, it really made me question the contribution of this 'mysterious man'.

My theory is that he or rather the 'key' she received from him is an embodiment of her passion, the most important thing. To reach out to her audience. There were times she lost it, during which she had succumbed to the situation, be it getting married or getting old and even forgetting why she entered the film world. Towards the end of the film, as she narrates her story, she rediscovers what she always loved. It's amazing how much we learn about ourselves just by saying things out loud. Her final words admit to being in love with herself, the way she always chased him, in other words, her attempts to reach out to her audience. An epiphany she had while holding on to her key.

With Millennium Actress I think I have covered all of Satoshi Kon's films. I will see to it that I rewatch Paprika since it's been a long time but I am nevertheless saddened that we will not see any more of his works.

Qurupeke

Alright, the AOTY thread should be up in a few minutes. I really hope I haven't made a mistake with the votes because there are quite a few animes that are close to each other and this could potentially mean a change at the rankings.

I have a feeling that not a lot of people here will like the results. lol

phaze

Alright, the AOTY thread should be up in a few minutes. I really hope I haven't made a mistake with the votes because there are quite a few animes that are close to each other and this could potentially mean a change at the rankings.

I have a feeling that not a lot of people here will like the results. lol

Shirobako not even in the 2nd spot confirmed.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Shirobako is like Bernie and OPM is Clinton.

What's really important is that Shirobako's respectable performance will push more anime watchers to the left.

2nd place is a win for #feelthebako as far as I'm concerned.

blurr

Shirobako is like Bernie and OPM is Clinton.

What's really important is that Shirobako's respectable performance will push more anime watchers to the left.

2nd place is a win for #feelthebako as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, that's one way of looking at it.

Qurupeke

I knew Shirobako wouldn't come close.

Why? If anything the results were incredibly predictable with a bunch of standard popular shows ranking.

Based on some comments, I think some people actually expected Shirobako to have a chance. The most surprising thing is that OPM didn't simply beat Shirobako, it has 1275 points and a difference of 400. It was nearly in every list(and a lot of posts that included only this and Jojo though). Also, I was surprised by how popular Soma was. I'm not sure if I was totally mistaken about it but I expected this to do roughly as good as Oregairu and Owari.

Line_HTX

I can't believe I missed Death Parade and Shirobako early on.

I feel really bad now.

I'm satisfied with this list, even though I think two of them should be outside looking in. At least I'm happy knowing that Your Lie didn't make it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Average points per vote for OPM: 8.06
Average points per vote for Shirobako: 8.6

OPM proletariat choice confirmed.

SHarris78

After watching Erased I chose a random show to watch that looked fun and happy - ie. no feels. Started watching Charlotte and thought 'yup this'll do'.

Just watched episode 6 & 7 - more friggin feels :.-(

Think i'll dig out my old G1 Transformers DVDs, should be safe with those.

Waow! Just as expected.

TV series anyways. I understand that few people saw and vote for most of the movies and OVAs but still...that Psycho-Pass movie and Digimon Tri deserve to be on some bottom list at best.

Line_HTX

Oh, I turned against the franchise because I simply got tired of seeing the same formula of political drama and unlikable characters in previous series.

Aki-at

My first, second and fifth placed choices line up with the vote.

I am in tune with the masses.

Also, hurrah that a follicly challenged individual can win the top vote in this day and age. Truly mankind has made gracious steps towards the glorious hairless future.

My first, second and fifth placed choices line up with the vote.

I am in tune with the masses.

Also, hurrah that a follicly challenged individual can win the top vote in this day and age. Truly mankind has made gracious steps towards the glorious hairless future.

You saying that reminds me that, after watching One Punch Man's first episode, I'm not a big fan of Murata's designs, at least as they look in animation. The enemy designs in particular are too reminiscent of Dragon Ball Z. I prefer Murata's designs as realized in Majin Bone. The flat shading going on in Majin Bone is also pretty neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom