• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exalted

I wonder how many people who voted for Gundam IBO have seen any other Gundam show before.

Personally i've only watched Gundam Wing, Seed, a bit of Seed Destiny and Gundam 00, and compared to those i find IBO far superior in writing, and generally more fun for me ( so far). Never really watched any of the more comedy or parody based Gundam series, since i don't like goofy mecha series. The only comedy mecha show i ever enjoyed was Full Metal Panic Fumoffu.

Line_HTX

I'm pleasantly surprised that Euphonium and Food Wars made it as high as they did, and that Death Parade and SNAFU TOO made it also.

jbug617

Banned
New stuff came in today. Will post more pics when i open the Persona 3 movie
XiJIkOL.jpg

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You saying that reminds me that, after watching One Punch Man's first episode, I'm not a big fan of Murata's designs, at least as they look in animation. The enemy designs in particular are too reminiscent of Dragon Ball Z. I prefer Murata's designs as realized in Majin Bone. The flat shading going on in Majin Bone is also pretty neat.

For those who have experience with the original ONE webcomic, how much of OPM character design was Murata simply elaborating upon the originals? I can't comment on how authentically "Murata" anything in OPM is; I've seen Majin Bone but I feel like I'd also have to read some Eyeshield 21 to get a more authoritative grasp on what truly constitutes his design philosophy.

Then again, from what I've read of OPM, I've never been bothered by the more hulking, monstrous, "overdesigned" enemies. I have always viewed OPM as a gag comedy, not a shounen action story, and as such I feel like the supervillains are a.) derivative because the nature of the comedy makes them disposable and b.) half of the always-present visual gag that Saitama looks "weak" or "plain". By saying this I'm not making a statement, positive or negative, on whether it makes for good humor, but I can see why it's done.

Line_HTX

Another thing that is pretty good about this list is that Kiritobread's tastes are doo-doo.

;P

J/K, Food Wars and Owarimonogatari was pretty successful. And I voted pretty high for Cross Ange too, lol

Ascheroth

Average points per vote for OPM: 8.06
Average points per vote for Shirobako: 8.6

OPM proletariat choice confirmed.

Fafner Exodus beats them both. 71 points, 8 votes make for a score of 8.88 :)
I honestly didn't expect it to even make top 50ies or something, so rank 30-something is a pleasant surprise.

I'm also alright with the actual top 10, so yay?

At least they didn't form their opinions about IBO via reading other people's tweets.

Those tweets come from people who have recommended me genuinely good shows before. Some of which have become my favorites.

He merely joined Firehawk's club!

What does this even mean?

Personally i've only watched Gundam Wing, Seed, a bit of Seed Destiny and Gundam 00, and compared to those i find IBO far superior in writing, and generally more fun for me ( so far). Never really watched any of the more comedy or parody based Gundam series, since i don't like goofy mecha series. The only comedy mecha show i ever enjoyed was Full Metal Panic Fumoffu.

Goofy mecha series are the best kinds of mecha series.

Qurupeke

14 points difference for IBO between my results and TUSR's is kind of big though. lol And it's on the very end of the top 10 too.

Also, if someone is planning to do a recount, it's worth mentioning that I basically omitted Durara and I only counted the votes that specified the season. When I didn't count an entry, I gave its rank to the next ones, meaning a 10 entry list with an uncounted vote turned to a proper 9 entry list. And well, I don't doubt there may be some mistakes too.

TUSR

Banned
14 points difference for IBO between my results and TUSR's is kind of big though. lol And it's on the very end of the top 10 too.

Also, if someone is planning to do a recount, it's worth mentioning that I basically omitted Durara and I only counted the votes that specified the season. When I didn't count an entry, I gave its rank to the next ones, meaning a 10 entry list with an uncounted vote turned to a proper 9 entry list. And well, I don't doubt there may be some mistakes too.
Gotta automate it next year and have stricter formatting rules.

Example: "Gundam" isn't a valid vote, since 3 Gundams aired in 2015 and a few OVAs.

Line_HTX

Iron Blood Orphans was put in at the 10 spot via a coin flip. I demand a recount of the votes as this is a case of voter fraud!

/s

I find it so fucking entertaining that the OPM crying wasn't continued after the results but instead we get Gundam IBO whining, which sat at 10 or 11.

Gundam IBO is a good show.

For those who have experience with the original ONE webcomic, how much of OPM character design was Murata simply elaborating upon the originals? I can't comment on how authentically "Murata" anything in OPM is; I've seen Majin Bone but I feel like I'd also have to read some Eyeshield 21 to get a more authoritative grasp on what truly constitutes his design philosophy.

Then again, from what I've read of OPM, I've never been bothered by the more hulking, monstrous, "overdesigned" enemies. I have always viewed OPM as a gag comedy, not a shounen action story, and as such I feel like the supervillains are a.) derivative because the nature of the comedy makes them disposable and b.) half of the always-present visual gag that Saitama looks "weak" or "plain". By saying this I'm not making a statement, positive or negative, on whether it makes for good humor, but I can see why it's done.

It's all Murata elaborating on the original ONE version, but some characters still end up being distinctly Murata, like how Garou looks like Hiruma from Eyeshield 21.

I don't really think it will beat Bakemonogatari.

I don't know if anything will ever beat Bakemono, the ones that come close like Love Live and Osomatsu have event tickets and drop.

I'm debating starting to watch HxH, it's just so long so I don't know if I'll have the time to watch all of it.

Worth it

Koyomimonogatari 4
Story is meh, but there's Senjougahara saying "die" and stretching.
10/10

True

Outside of hxh and Jojo, what other strict manga adaptations have worked out well recently?

Shokugeki no Soma.

Wow, I'm surprised at that gap between OPM and Shirobako. Well, not really that surprised.

I won't like Gundam IBO until they cut Kudelia's hair.

I agree

You saying that reminds me that, after watching One Punch Man's first episode, I'm not a big fan of Murata's designs, at least as they look in animation. The enemy designs in particular are too reminiscent of Dragon Ball Z. I prefer Murata's designs as realized in Majin Bone. The flat shading going on in Majin Bone is also pretty neat.

It's really only Vaccine Man and to a lesser extent, Boros that look like DBZ villains.

pbayne

I find it so fucking entertaining that the OPM crying wasn't continued after the results but instead we get Gundam IBO whining, which sat at 10 or 11.

Gundam IBO is a good show.

It should have an asterisk of "good so far" though. Its a bit weird voting for a show that isn't finished and could potentially still ruin itself. Hopefully it won't but you never know.

Aki-at

Hm outside of Vaccine Man and I guess Baros I didn't think the majority looked like Dragon Ball designs. Oh yeah I guess Hammerhead or whatever his name was, thought Carnage, Sonic etc seemed to be pretty different from the regular character designs from Dragon Ball.

Might check out Majin Bone since I do like flat shading though, is it any good?

It should have an asterisk of "good so far" though. Its a bit weird voting for a show that isn't finished and could potentially still ruin itself. Hopefully it won't but you never know.

I would've been perfectly okay with there being a rule on not voting for unfinished or 2nd cour shows. But since it was allowed and tons of people did vote on those types of shows I voted for what I liked or entertained me the most in 2015 regardless of whether it had a worse future dragging it down unknowingly affecting my like of it in the present.

If I voted with the future episodes I hadn't seen in mind, I'd retroactively rate Heavy Object higher.

Well, IBO is already starting to ruin itself!

Oh no, a show went from an 8 to a 7 for two episodes, better drop it now it's pretty much unwatchable garbage.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Every JoJo part is longer than the previous one IIRC.

Really? Part 4 didn't actually feel that long. Probably because it's not as stand of the week as SC and is moreweird things happen in town with arc antagonists.

Garo should make it into the Ova section this year it's half as good as the show, I'm serious guys you can't let this injustice happen again!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
IBO went from GBF to G-Reco for me.

It was on my original ballot, and maybe it's not fair, but I didn't vote for it solely out of spite for the recent stupidity.

pbayne

It was on my original ballot, and maybe it's not fair, but I didn't vote for it solely out of spite for the recent stupidity.

Really? i didn't think so many people had turned on it.

I mean the recent arc was a little slow paced but you can see what they're building towards with Kudelia and looks like we're about to get the payoff for it.

Nothing deserves to be compared to G-Reco.

Cornbread78

Another thing that is pretty good about this list is that Kiritobread's tastes are doo-doo.

;P

J/K, Food Wars and Owarimonogatari was pretty successful. And I voted pretty high for Cross Ange too, lol

That final list wreaks of crap taste... No emotional attachment at all. Someone grab a pooper scooper and get that shit outta here.

Jex

I only watched three episodes of IBO.

I dropped it because it utterly failed to do anything new both in terms of the storied Gundam franchise and the mecha genre. It doesn't even execute on old ideas in a particularly unique way.

It just feels perfunctory.

I didn't much care for that arc, but technically it's not part of the season I was voting on so I left things.

Really? i didn't think so many people had turned on it.

I mean the recent arc was a little slow paced but you can see what they're building towards with Kudelia and looks like we're about to get the payoff for it.

Nothing deserves to be compared to G-Reco.

This many episodes in, I was enjoying G-Reco a lot more than I'm currently enjoying IBO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom