• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puruzi

Banned
Haikyuu made top 10 and Shirobako didn't win

3O8OTxy.jpg

3ZG4tO1.gif

Exalted

I only watched three episodes of IBO.

I dropped it because it utterly failed to do anything new both in terms of the storied Gundam franchise and the mecha genre. It doesn't even execute on old ideas in a particularly unique way.

It just feels perfunctory.

"utterly failed " yeah right. To me the IBO fights feel completely different than Seed , Wing or 00. For one Gundams in IBO are not overpowered like in those shows, making the fights longer and far more interesting and diverse, and also all the characters feel more human.

Squishy3

I wonder what a good middle break point is.
We talked about it in the manga thread. Obviously don't venture in there if you aren't completely up to date since there's unmarked spoilers for everything.

If you remember Part 4 at all, you should know the perfect breaking point between the second and third cour.

Crocodile

FMA Brotherhood >> FMA OG though the later does some things better like pacing and music and a few characters like Lust. Writing gets really wonky in the later though.

Shirobako is like Bernie and OPM is Clinton.

What's really important is that Shirobako's respectable performance will push more anime watchers to the left.

2nd place is a win for #feelthebako as far as I'm concerned.

Can we not let the overflow from that thread/event flow into this one? Thx.

IBO went from GBF to G-Reco for me.

It was on my original ballot, and maybe it's not fair, but I didn't vote for it solely out of spite for the recent stupidity.

Haha yeah I was thinking the same thing. Gundam was on my list but it got bumped down to honorable mention due to some of the recent shenanigans

Cool results. You know color me surprised, but I thought Shirobako would come closer considering that usually when OPM wasn't top then Shirobako was. But I did call that OPM was in more lists in different positions than Shirobako. If someone didn't have Shirobako in the top 3 it usually wouldn't appear in the list.

I knew Shirobako wouldn't come close.

Why? If anything the results were incredibly predictable with a bunch of standard popular shows ranking.

I mean it came close enough. This is like Witcher 3 v Bloodborne. Both appeared often enough, but Bloodborne tended to be in most lists than Witcher 3.

I wonder how many people who voted for Gundam IBO have seen any other Gundam show before.

IBO went from GBF to G-Reco for me.

It was on my original ballot, and maybe it's not fair, but I didn't vote for it solely out of spite for the recent stupidity.

I don't watch many Gundam shows, have only watched Seed and I'll eventually watch G-Gundam, and maybe from a veteran it's not doing anything special but it had a solid amount of early episodes that hooked me. Viewing something as someone who isn't terribly familiar should count for something.

But admittedly the recent episodes haven't all been that amazing, I doubt it'll appear in my 2016 AOTY ballot.

edit: jesus Working!!! wasn't even top 25

Working!!! was robbed. Fuck all y'all

Exalted

I like that all mechs (not just gundams) in IBO fell like tanks and not some delicate war machines and don't get destroyed in a single shot like in Seed or 00. This made some fight really long and great. The MC had to even resolve to melee and for looking weak points in armor with it , since all the mechs are so sturdy and armored.

Also to the 3 other people that voted Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches, bless your heart.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It likely won't change anything, but perhaps we could adopt the model other OTY threads use and grants points as

1. 4
  2. 3
  3. 3
  4. 2
  5. 2
  6. 2
  7. 1
  8. 1
  9. 1
  10. 1

Grexeno

It likely won't change anything, but perhaps we could adopt the model other OTY threads use and grants points as
  1. 4
  2. 3
  3. 3
  4. 2
  5. 2
  6. 2
  7. 1
  8. 1
  9. 1
  10. 1

Why even bother letting people vote for 10 different shows if most placements give the same amount of points as the one right below it?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm surprised not a single animator expo shows didn't get into the top five seeing as they are far easier to see than mot anime movies.

The Love Live Movie for example only had two showings in the whole of Europe, both in the UK.

Dresden

Why not turn 2016's AOTY vote into a lottery? A poster on each page (50 ppp) is selected via a draw and gets to have their vote counted, everyone else fucks off.

TUSR

Banned
I don't regret what I did.
There were around 4 people that listed the same show for 1-9 and their next favourite at 10.

Which I'm not sure is a disservice to their second favourite show, or if its reflective of their enjoyment of their second favourite show.

Don't really have enough energy to get worked up over any of the year lists, just see it as a general representation of 500+ people and everyone will have at least one stickler outlier that they wanted more exposure for. At least this is better then 3,000 posts of bloodborne vs witcher 3 which is zzzzzzzzzzzz

Grexeno

Oh is it the whine about what people like part of the year.

Snow White with the Red Hair S2 Episode 4

Shit finally about to go down.

Qurupeke

Jojo should have been number one, really. I mean, I like Soma but Jojo was one of the most fun adventures I've seen in an anime in a long time.

As a whole, I didn't enjoy Stardust Crusaders as much as the first two parts, especially Battle Tendency. I hate the weekly format, it can be hit or miss on the episodes and I feel a lot of them were the later in Jojo's case. I'm actually a bit surprised it ranked that high, I was expecting it at the second half of the list.

Russ T

Banned
Don't really have enough energy to get worked up over any of the year lists, just see it as a general representation of 500+ people and everyone will have at least one stickler outlier that they wanted more exposure for. At least this is better then 3,000 posts of bloodborne vs witcher 3 which is zzzzzzzzzzzz

i mean witchborne is better than blooder 3 and you know it's true

Wakako-zake was the best food based anime of last year. You lot can't convince me otherwise.

That's fine. I'm watching Wakako-zake at the moment and I'm not too big on it. It's probably a lot more meaningful if you've been to the kind of Japanese restaurants it's highlighting, but I have no experience with them and the food isn't gone into in any detail due to the short length, so I can't care. I don't even particularly like the voice Sawashiro is using for the main character. The backgrounds are nice though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom