• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Majin Bone - 1

This was a great first episode. Pacing was great, CG wasn't half bad, and the characters were super likeable. This'll be a good watchbet.

I'm impressed at how smooth the fight in the beginning was. Usually CG I see in shows come off as a floaty mess, but here it felt fluid and it blended in a lot more.

The CG suits in Majin Bone mostly exist in their own separate world from the 2D characters and environments, at least in the four episodes I've watched so far. So blending is not an issue. Also, it's worth noting that the CG is done by Dimps, the game developer who has worked on such games as Street Fighter IV and V. I believe this is Dimps' only anime work.

duckroll

I think I heard this a while back but when I did my own research I wasn't be able to find the connection. I'm not very good at comparing staff though. Could you give me a nice source that I can use for future reference?

Also, I hope my post the other day in the ConRevo thread didn't give you any spoilers. I didn't realize that you hadn't finished it yet. My apologies T_T

I think this is the sort of reference that's hard to get unless you already know what you're looking for. Masaki Tsuji wrote the episode, and in the first season that was the only guest writer episode. He's a really prolific 83 year old anime screenwriter, and writing Sazae-san's debut episode back in 1969 is one of the points of interest in his career. It's even on his Wikipedia profile (Japanese): https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/辻真先

NeonZ

Alright, looks like I had it wrong then.

Though, why do people always say it gets much better 20 (or was it even 40?) episodes in or so? Do some longer arcs start by then?

What improves after episode 25 or so is the style of humor. There's an episode about the characters attempting to eat a hotpot that goes for a very different style from any previous episodes and sets up the style of humor you'll often see later.

As far as actual story arcs go, it takes longer to start. There's one in the 40s, but the first really stand out one is in the late 50s, which even introduces several changes to the presentation of the arc in order to make the serious action stories stand out from the standard humorous ones. It becomes basically the "model" for Gintama's serious stories.

I think I heard this a while back but when I did my own research I wasn't be able to find the connection. I'm not very good at comparing staff though. Could you give me a nice source that I can use for future reference?

The ANN Encyclopedia is the best English resource for anime staff, though it's not comprehensive and wouldn't totally help in this case because the entries don't specify what episodes Masaki Tsuji wrote for either Concrete or Sazae-san. Personally I saw this tidbit a while back, I think on Twitter, and then confirmed with Japanese sources.

Also, I hope my post the other day in the ConRevo thread didn't give you any spoilers. I didn't realize that you hadn't finished it yet. My apologies T_T

Don't worry about it. If I wanted to avoid the risk of spoilers I wouldn't have gone into the OT. I'm not particularly anal about my exposure to spoilers.

I think this is the sort of reference that's hard to get unless you already know what you're looking for. Masaki Tsuji wrote the episode, and in the first season that was the only guest writer episode. He's a really prolific 83 year old anime screenwriter, and writing Sazae-san's debut episode back in 1969 is one of the points of interest in his career. It's even on his Wikipedia profile (Japanese): https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/辻真先

He seems to be a fairly well known name in Japan? Or at least, well enough known that the next episode preview for episode 9 felt comfortable mentioning that he had written the episode and expecting viewers to know what that meant.

The first dozen episodes do a lot of introducing characters and setting up recurring jokes. It gets a lot better once all that stuff is done. Episode 25 is pretty hilarious and a lot of people point to that one.

Episode 58 is when the first major serious arc begins.

What improves after episode 25 or so is the style of humor. There's an episode about the characters attempting to eat a hotpot that goes for a very different style from any previous episodes and sets up the style of humor you'll often see later.

As far as actual story arcs go, it takes longer to start. There's one in the 40s, but the first really stand out one is in the late 50s, which even introduces several changes to the presentation of the arc in order to make the serious action stories stand out from the standard humorous ones. It becomes basically the "model" for Gintama's serious stories.

Looking forward to later then. So far it's solid entertainment but little more.

Szadek

Ping Pong the Animation - Ep. 1-3
For some reason this show has a hard time keeping my attention.
I'm not sure why that is. Maybe it's the protaganist or maybe it just shows how few fucks I give about anything sport related.
The anime is good, but I don't think it's the ideal show for me.

Ascheroth

Gintama - 308

New arc, new opening sequence. The 'blood' is gone, but it feels even more depressing now. And the ED is still a lie. Having such a cheerful song at the end of all these episodes is double torture.

Anyway. The first scene started, and I could already feel the tears welling up. God dammit.
This was episode was solely dedicated to the aftermath of the last arc, and while it was not brutal in a visual and actiony sense, it was still emotionally brutal.

This really is the point of no return and this episode and the title of the new arc alone
Farewell Shinsengumi
hammer that point home again.

blurr

Maria the Virgin Witch 04

I'm glad this show is going head on questioning Maria's flawed desire of eliminating human conflict. I can see it is going the capitalistic route with "what will they do for a living?" which works but not in all cases. I do wish it dealt with the fundamental nature of humans, why conflict takes place in every situation, not just in regard to making a living. The ending also hinted on possibly everything being 'orchestrated' by a much larger body a la Illuminati.

Ping Pong the Animation - Ep. 1-3
For some reason this show has a hard time keeping my attention.
I'm not sure why that is. Maybe it's the protaganist or maybe it just shows how few fucks I give about anything sport related.
The anime is good, but I don't think it's the ideal show for me.

Ping Pong has less to do with the sport than most sports anime. Try replacing Ping Pong with any other two player competitive sport, it still remains relevant. It's more about the characters finding answers, learning about themselves.

Jarmel

Banned
Well, Bones still deficit in last year, but at least best than 2 years before, let's hope they can finally profit this year.

hfuVKcO.jpg

Wait how were they in deficit last year? Weren't they on the committee for Kekkai?

Qurupeke

Gintama 308

Oh man, episode 1 of the new arc and I'm already feeling bad for Shinsengumi. I can't even imagine what will happen next. Also, it's really amazing we recently had a funeral episode and how much different both of them were. :(

Szadek

I gave up watching Ping Pong. I tried to watch 1 more episode, but I just can't watch this for some reason.

Oh well, it's not like I don't have enough other shows to watch.

Phatmac

That funeral scene was so powerful. It honestly made me want to cry again. I felt so bad for everyone especially Zenzo. This whole plan felt like a complete failure. That drinking scene between Kondo and Gin was amazing. I always love it when the gorilla gets serious. That dream that Hijikata had was fucking insane and I hope it doesn't become real. Surprised to see side characters like the hard-boiled guy come since it ruined the somber tone the show was going for. Lots of shit happened this episode but our heroes will hopefully bounce back from losing everything.

The ANN Encyclopedia is the best English resource for anime staff, though it's not comprehensive and wouldn't totally help in this case because the entries don't specify what episodes Masaki Tsuji wrote for either Concrete or Sazae-san. Personally I saw this tidbit a while back, I think on Twitter, and then confirmed with Japanese sources.

Oh wow, I only checked the ANN Database and gave up after I couldn't find anything. This explains it. Thanks!

duckroll

He seems to be a fairly well known name in Japan? Or at least, well enough known that the next episode preview for episode 9 felt comfortable mentioning that he had written the episode and expecting viewers to know what that meant.

Yeah but that falls under knowing what to look for. If you're not familiar with Sazae-san or the writer to begin with, it can be hard to make any sort of connection without someone tipping you off. Unlike the more obvious references which you can cross-reference with historical events or pop culture icons, writing credits for individual episodes of anime is a much more narrow area of interest!

blurr

Maria the Virgin Witch 05

Oh, now we're getting some right questions and interesting answers. The show has finally spoken out for Maria's actions. I'm liking it.

Her answer to everyone, this is an interesting thought but she is clearly paying a heavy price for it

And then her question to everyone, this is something I've been introspecting as well

This scene aside, I quite liked the entire set of events that led to the duel and then the duel itself. During which Maria also asks if there are fights we must not stop, the answer to which winds back to her question "how do we make people understand each other?"

Really good episode. Lots of meaningful conversations along with the occasional silliness.

Russ T

Banned
You know, I wasn't really big on the Attack on Titan anime, but I read the manga and found myself surprisingly engaged. Maybe 'cause I could fly through the less interesting stuff and just keep learning about the world. I don't think it's necessarily a good story - I definitely think the BIG TWIST was rather boring, and up until that point I'd spent the whole time hoping it wouldn't be that - but it at least captivated me for some reason.

Of course, then I caught up, and now I have to wait, and now my interest has significantly fallen off.

What I'm saying is I don't care about the next season of the anime.

But for some reason I still want to watch this totally-not-attack-on-titan series from the same studio.

Yeah but that falls under knowing what to look for. If you're not familiar with Sazae-san or the writer to begin with, it can be hard to make any sort of connection without someone tipping you off. Unlike the more obvious references which you can cross-reference with historical events or pop culture icons, writing credits for individual episodes of anime is a much more narrow area of interest!

Sure. Concrete Revolutio seems written expecting the audience to have a fairly extensive knowledge of mid-20th century Japanese cultural and political history so they can recognize the parallels and better appreciate the message that is being said here. Which makes it all the more curious that the show was announced at a US anime convention and marketed by Daisuki as a marquee international title, despite most people outside Japan being unlikely to know any of the history outside of the dropping of the atomic bombs. Maybe the producers thought "superheroes appeal everywhere, right?", but if that was their thinking they really made a mistake.

Majin Bone's CG powersuit fights take a while to get truly creative, but once they hit their stride they have better camerawork and choreography than most CG mecha anime produced for adult audiences. That alone is a fairly impressive claim for a kids' anime, but what really sets the CG apart is the great mocap (well, it looks like mocap). Scenes in the Cocoon can be dialogue-heavy, and the attention to gesticulation and character acting that matches the dialogue preserves the characters' personalities even when inside the suits. It's the closest thing to authentic tokusatsu that I've seen in anime.

I'll be honest with you. I've never watched a tokusatsu in my life.

Like, I know what Power Rangers and Kamen Rider are, but I've never actually sat down and watched an entire series about them. So I can't really make any comparisons to that. Technically (if we're not counting Samurai Flamenco), this'll be my first one, haha.

But yeah, I was really impressed with the CG work.

The CG suits in Majin Bone mostly exist in their own separate world from the 2D characters and environments, at least in the four episodes I've watched so far. So blending is not an issue. Also, it's worth noting that the CG is done by Dimps, the game developer who has worked on such games as Street Fighter IV and V. I believe this is Dimps' only anime work.

Interesting. I mainly know Dimps for making a lot of handheld Sonic games like the Advance and Rush series. Those were some pretty good games.

Then they made Sonic 4, which made us want them to have nothing to do with Sonic games anymore.

But yeah, the fact that the fights take place in a different dimension definitely helps things look great.

They did, it's called Hozuki no Reitetsu.

What an odd show.

I liked it, in fact I liked it a lot, but the style of humor for this show was basically just a nice warm smile through most episodes. I don't think I laughed once throughout the whole thing, I'd be like that girl from Seinfeld who never laughed but just said "That was really funny" and it would be but it just amused me and didn't make me guffaw.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
LoGH 1
That was a good start, but boy oh boy, that's a lot of names. I think i remember only a couple of them. The setting was interesting, and seeing war from both sides piques my interest.

Dimension W 4

A mystery theme episode with our protagonist investigating the mysterius death of a novelist. That was good episode, though the scene leading to a fight was awkward despite the fight scene itself was good.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Question on Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Should I watch the movies or the TV series?

TV series + 3rd movie.

First two movies are just a condensed retelling of the TV so it's somewhat rushed.

Qurupeke

Seconding the Rebellion movie. I recently watched it and it's great, even if it will leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Phantom World 5

Best action of the season. lol That final combo attack with mayonaise sama and the bear was too good. Hopefully this show will become a bit more interesting though.

Also, this episode reveals that the front twintails are actually a throne for the teddy bear!

Jex

"utterly failed " yeah right. To me the IBO fights feel completely different than Seed , Wing or 00. For one Gundams in IBO are not overpowered like in those shows, making the fights longer and far more interesting and diverse, and also all the characters feel more human.
I can completely understand your perspective if you're just looking to compare Iron Blood Orphans to those particular shows from the recent past. However, you'll note in my post that I wasn't talking about the last 10 - 15 years. I am talking about the entire Gundam franchise and the entire mecha genre. That's over 40 years of mecha anime - that's where I am coming from when I am chiding IBO for it's failure to distinguish itself from the rest of the world of mecha.

Would you like to see more down-to-earth (or 'realistic') mecha combat? There's plenty of it out there. Gundam has dabbled it in in works like 08th MS Team and War in the Pocket. Outside of Gundam we have lots of other contenders such as VOTOMS, Mellowlink, Break Blade, FLAG and even to a small extent Patlabor.

You talk about characterisation? Well as crazy as Tomino even, the original Mobile Suit Gundam (1974) certainly has more fleshed out and believable characters than something like 00. There's not much point picking out individual mecha shows that do this better or worse because, by the by, most writing in anime tends towards the exciting rather than the realistic. IBO isn't really striking out to original territory by focusing on child soldiers because mecha as been telling those kinds of stories since the 70's.

Once you've seen enough Gundam shows, or enough works in the mecha (or any genre) you soon find yourself tiring of seeing the same old tropes trotted out again and again. This is why Gundam Build Fighters was such a breath of fresh air because it decoupled the exciting action of Gundam from the very-well worn and largely tiresome space politics which often acts as the anchor around the franchises neck. By severing this link it managed to revitalise the entire concept and bring something new to the table.

JulianImp

Nothing beats Kirino Mosaic "high school students".

nPhhxRR.jpg

My little joshikousei can't possibly look this young?

...In all seriousness, we had Gakkou Gurashi and its "high school student girls" who also looked younger than their suppoed real age for the most part, and the anime was somehow fixated on giving us fanservice scenes of them on top of that, which made it creepy as hell at times (like with the constant flashbacks to Miki in her underwear).

Ascheroth

Phantom World - 05

Can not unhear Mayonnaise-sama.
Some amazing sakuga, but outside of its production values it's still nothing to write home about. Hopefully we'll be done with the 'character introduction' episodes soon and get some actual plot going...
I imagine the front twin tail secret endboss will get one and then... maybe Ruru?
Btw I found it funny that her name literally translates to bear pillow, unless I got it wrong.

Oh yeah, at least Marchosias still gets me every time he's summoned.

Phantom World 06

But why didn't Reina just heal Koito's voice? That would truly be the best solution for both Koito and the viewers.

Pretty tight episode though.

JulianImp

Phantom World - 05

Can not unhear Mayonnaise-sama.
Some amazing sakuga, but outside of its production values it's still nothing to write home about. Hopefully we'll be done with the 'character introduction' episodes soon and get some actual plot going...
I imagine the front twin tail secret endboss will get one and then... maybe Ruru?
Btw I found it funny that her name literally translates to bear pillow, unless I got it wrong.

Oh yean, it least Marchosias still gets me every time he's summoned.

Mayonnaise-sama's just too good of a mondegreen to pass up.

Still haven't watched this episode, but I honestly don't like once-an-episode "jokes" such as MC summoning marchosias and it being mostly useless. Can't he just try summoning something else with his powers? I think the gag would be more fun if he tried different hellish beasts and kept getting cute mascots to come out rather than always having the same one show up, but then again I think the obvious development would be that his summons slowly start to get better as the show goes on, or maybe that he finally gets the power/inspiration to do a correct summon when things get bleak.

Qurupeke

Osomatsu-san 17

Karamatsu episode next please.

Still haven't watched this episode, but I honestly don't like once-an-episode "jokes" such as MC summoning marchosias and it being mostly useless.

It was actually pretty useful in this episode, far more competent than Koito.

Mayonnaise-sama's just too good of a mondegreen to pass up.

Still haven't watched this episode, but I honestly don't like once-an-episode "jokes" such as MC summoning marchosias and it being mostly useless. Can't he just try summoning something else with his powers? I think the gag would be more fun if he tried different hellish beasts and kept getting cute mascots to come out rather than always having the same one show up, but then again I think the obvious development would be that his summons slowly start to get better as the show goes on, or maybe that he finally gets the power/inspiration to do a correct summon when things get bleak.

Marchosias is actually useful in this episode!

Exalted

I can completely understand your perspective if you're just looking to compare Iron Blood Orphans to those particular shows from the recent past. However, you'll note in my post that I wasn't talking about the last 10 - 15 years. I am talking about the entire Gundam franchise and the entire mecha genre. That's over 40 years of mecha anime - that's where I am coming from when I am chiding IBO for it's failure to distinguish itself from the rest of the world of mecha.

Would you like to see more down-to-earth (or 'realistic') mecha combat? There's plenty of it out there. Gundam has dabbled it in in works like 08th MS Team and War in the Pocket. Outside of Gundam we have lots of other contenders such as VOTOMS, Mellowlink, Break Blade, FLAG and even to a small extent Patlabor.

You talk about characterisation? Well as crazy as Tomino even, the original Mobile Suit Gundam (1974) certainly has more fleshed out and believable characters than something like 00. There's not much point picking out individual mecha shows that do this better or worse because, by the by, most writing in anime tends towards the exciting rather than the realistic. IBO isn't really striking out to original territory by focusing on child soldiers because mecha as been telling those kinds of stories since the 70's.

Once you've seen enough Gundam shows, or enough works in the mecha (or any genre) you soon find yourself tiring of seeing the same old tropes trotted out again and again. This is why Gundam Build Fighters was such a breath of fresh air because it decoupled the exciting action of Gundam from the very-well worn and largely tiresome space politics which often acts as the anchor around the franchises neck. By severing this link it managed to revitalise the entire concept and bring something new to the table.
While i won't disagree and claim that IBO is completely original, i still think that IMO it managed to distinguish itself from the average mecha show today, or the last few gundam shows. Compared to the the last few mecha show i watched ( Aldnoah zero, Buddy Complex, Cross ange and Break Blade) i find IBO far more enjoyable , having a far better pace and story , and having far more believable and better written characters. Is IBO the best mecha show, no, not by a far shot, but it's far from a failure that some people claim it is.
ps. fuck Slaine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom