• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

[Gintama] - 307

Remember the laughs, folks?

CaT2VdTWIAEgkut.jpg
CaT2VlBWcAA-0pH.jpg

I can't.

While i won't disagree and claim that IBO is completely original, i still think that IMO it managed to distinguish itself from the average mecha show today, or the last few gundam shows. Compared to the the last few mecha show i watched ( Aldnoah zero, Buddy Complex, Cross ange and Break Blade) i find IBO far more enjoyable , having a far better pace and story , and having far more believable and better written characters. Is IBO the best mecha show, no, not by a far shot, but it's far from a failure that some people claim it is.
ps. fuck Slaine

But Jexhius wasn't referring to the average mecha show today or the last few Gundam shows. He was talking about the entire genre, and that's where he feels IBO falls up short.

While IBO may be better than the shows you listed, how do you think it stands amongst the shows he listed?

Jex

While i won't disagree and claim that IBO is completely original, i still think that IMO it managed to distinguish itself from the average mecha show today, or the last few gundam shows. Compared to the the last few mecha show i watched ( Aldnoah zero, Buddy Complex, Cross ange and Break Blade) i find IBO far more enjoyable , having a far better pace and story , and having far more believable and better written characters. Is IBO the best mecha show, no, not by a far shot, but it's far from a failure that some people claim it is.
ps. fuck Slaine

Again, I'm not saying that IBO completely fails to function as a series. It succeeds on its own terms - but it has such painfully low ambitions that isn't enough for me. As a viewer I have access to literally hundreds of better mecha shows from the last few decades and, as such, I have no reason to spent my time watching IBO.

Exalted

But Jexhius wasn't referring to the average mecha show today or the last few Gundam shows. He was talking about the entire genre, and that's where he feels IBO falls up short.

While IBO may be better than the shows you listed, how do you think it stands amongst the shows he listed?

To be honest apart form Break Blade( which i find average) i haven't watched anything else he listed. The oldest mecha shows i watched were Wing and NGE. Not that it matters, since i was partly responding to his previous comment, where he said IBO utterly failed. I actually even believe that most of the one he listed might be better that IBO, but that is not the point.

Again, I'm not saying that IBO completely fails to function as a series. It succeeds on its own terms - but it has such painfully low ambitions that isn't enough for me. As a viewer I have access to literally hundreds of better mecha shows from the last few decades and, as such, I have no reason to spent my time watching IBO.
Fair enough. I guess i probably misunderstood your original post, for one of those this anime is complete trash.

Edit: ("literally hundreds" of better mecha shows, might be pushing it a bit ;), that list would probally have to contain almost all of the mecha shows ever created, and all of them better that IBO, while i'm curious to see such a list, i'm gonna drop this)

Rotnems

Neo Member
I'd rather watch gundam Thunderbolt over IBO. That one actually has decent mecha combat and isn't filled to the brim with cliches and a shitty love triangle.

Thunderbolt is basically a writer asking "Hey....what if an asshole got in the super Gundam, you know, instead of a dumb kid?"

I can't wait for the second episode.

Qurupeke

Tokyo Ghoul: Pinto

Hmm, not sure how I feel about it. Other than disgust, because that was certainly a feeling I had, especially after I had just eaten. I suppose it was better than "Jack", which wasn't really bad.

Pinto is the story about Tsukiyama and Hori Chie, I guess people that read :re know about the her. She is a fun character, but she doesn't do much, other than having an extreme amounts of curiosity. Pinto is essentially the story of a villain, and despite some cute and happy moments, it was really dark. The animation is really good and there's not much action, meaning that it delivers some really gruesome scenes. I'm not sure if I've forgotten how the TG series looked, but certain scenes during the last few minutes were really shocking.

I guess it's worth it a watch, especially if you read :re...

Taruranto

ENGRISH episode #5

WELP

The series has an "innovative" (as far anime go) character dynamic regarding the two leads, but it's basically doing jack shit with it. The teacher is also a non-character basically.

Busaiku

So what're the chances Osomatsu-san production pays royalties for all the stuff to release the episodes later down the line.
They're making a ton, so surely there's motivation.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I was hoping Kurumi would be the big bad and some kind of eldritch abomination Phantom passing off as a little girl.

The fact that she's an actual little girl who turns her teddy bear into a giant fighter is dull as all hell.

Cornbread78

Konosuba ep.4

This episode felt like a small step back (very small) from the previous three, but still had plenty of laughs from the get-go and was pretty good overall. The back and forth banter was good stuff between the characters! Having his luck skill so high is a great asset to the with the lucky wealth he built up. Also, the crusader chick is an awesome masochist and will continue to set up some hilarious moments... That whole scene with the Demon King's general was hilarious with both the character banter as well as his sour grapes attitude. Good stuff.

Some images:

6SDNvA2.png

XHbQ8LU.jpg

hExR9Rn.gif

JulianImp

I was hoping Kurumi would be the big bad and some kind of eldritch abomination Phantom passing off as a little girl.

The fact that she's an actual little girl who turns her teddy bear into a giant fighter is dull as all hell.

You're telling me she's basically Annie?

Oh well, she didn't look all that interesting anyway.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You're telling me she's basically Annie?

Oh well, she didn't look all that interesting anyway.

She really is Annie.

Mai is Lee Sin.

Kaito is AP Sona.

Reina is... Tam Kench.

e_i

Didn't I see this in a Tales game?

JulianImp

She really is Annie.

Mai is Lee Sin.

Kaito is AP Sona.

Reina is... Tam Kench.

Looks like a halfway decent comp, at least on paper.

Who'd the MC end up as, though? Maybe Twisted Fate since he can reveal enemies and bind them?

ADC TF, heh.

Gintama 308

Is this really my Gintama, everything is so serious now. This really is the ending

I'm going to cry my eyes out ;_; not ready for this emotional destruction

[Patlabor TV] - 29

This episode made me remember of the third episode of MiniPato, I found the story in the MiniPato (Shinobu>>>Kumagami) more interesting but...what this episode reminded me the most was some episodes of Urusei Yatsura, like episode 91 where the girls fight to be Miss Tomobiki, the way everyone get so serious about "trivial" stuff. Probably Mamoru Oshii fault. :p

It's funny hearing Ataru(Asuma), Megane(Shige) and Onsen-Mark(Oota). But I miss the "Oi kanojo".

Noa has a fucking good memory!!

Kyuur

One disappointment beating out another disappointment? Nothing to see here.

Did something happen to IBO? I haven't been keeping up, I think the last episode I watched was 11, but I remember seeing mostly praise and thought it was pretty good myself. A nice change in pace from other mecha shows.

jgminto

Did something happen to IBO? I haven't been keeping up, I think the last episode I watched was 11, but I remember seeing mostly praise and thought it was pretty good myself. A nice change in pace from other mecha shows.
It got bogged down in some dumb stuff in the last two episodes but I think it's still been mostly enjoyable.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Gintama 308

Is this really my Gintama, everything is so serious now. This really is the ending

I'm going to cry my eyes out ;_; not ready for this emotional destruction

Don't worry. They'll pull the rug from under us and have a gotcha episode at the end of this arc and everything will be back to normal.

Tis the Gintama way.

Exalted

Nothing really happened, the last 2 episodes were a bit more political and had a diferent tone, but that's all. If you liked it so far you will also like the next few episodes. Also if you are wondering about Jexhius comment, he isn't actually even watching the series, just has a lot to say about a serie he isn't even watching.

KonoSuba Ep. 4

Another fantastic episode. Honestly, I look forward to this just as much as Erased at this point. The show is a fun and creative glimpse into the world of "adventuring". The juxtaposition of everyday life and fantasy is what really sells it for me.

Darkness is, at this point, the worst part of the show for me. For a show that loves mocking tropes and twisting them into humorous facsimiles, Darkness gets a little too close to the standard. Here's hoping that changes in the next few.

Puruzi

Banned
KonoSuba Ep. 4

Another fantastic episode. Honestly, I look forward to this just as much as Erased at this point. The show is a fun and creative glimpse into the world of "adventuring". The juxtaposition of everyday life and fantasy is what really sells it for me.

Darkness is, at this point, the worst part of the show for me. For a show that loves mocking tropes and twisting them into humorous facsimiles, Darkness gets a little too close to the standard. Here's hoping that changes in the next few.

darkness is a good

Chindogg

KonoSuba Ep. 4

I dunno I love the concept of a tank that gets off to getting beat up.

Cornbread78

Kono Suba ep 4
[/IMG]

Feels like I'm wearing nothing at all....nothing at all...nothing at all.

Careful dude, that's cutting it close, lol

KonoSuba 04

Healers deserve to get all the attention! Glad those townsfolk and other adventurers can see that!

At least she was useful for once..

Phantom ep.5
Looks like the cast is all assembled finally. Good episode with it's mix, of humor and action.

Squalor

Wow, Bubuki Buranki 4 was terrible.

I should have known the wheels would fall off eventually. It was decent and even exciting at times, but it was only ever holding on by a thread.

Dimension W 4 was good except for the gratuitous and inelegant fan-service. The show benefits nothing from it, and it's strong on its own merit. Anime is going to anime, though and unfortunately.

The Numbers plot is still a little nebulous and vague, but I hope they are able to make it worthwhile in the long run. It was nice getting a little more information, even if scant, about the Beasts of Grendel. Interesting the blond-haired guy was one, too. The brief fight was nice.

The score was fantastic. Great music.
Kono Suba ep 4

Feels like I'm wearing nothing at all....nothing at all...nothing at all.
You're all clearly watching that for the character development and plot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom