• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Of course.

The Empire is Space Prussia.

One of the planets is Space Greece.

The Federation is Space America.

It's space opera, and that means monocultures.

The Federation is Space America.

I'm not really sure that's the comparison I would use. There's not a whole lot specifically American, you could use many republics with civilian control of the military as a comparison. Something like the 3rd French Republic might actually fit better.

Seems unlikely. It's pretty uncommon for most studios.
Shafft does it a lot, but that's mostly because they can't get their shit together in time.

No, actually BD corrections are very common for TV anime. Even KyoAni does some on their shows. There are examples of shows which have been substantially and comprehensively reworked for BDs, perhaps most notably Samurai Flamenco, which was a big production mess.

Concrete Revolutio 9

It's pretty cool that this show got the writer of the very first Sazae-san anime episode from 1969 to write this episode about a Sazae-san-like family.

So I've noticed that Chief Akira has been missing from the future scenes, as well as the future characters depicted at the end of the ED. This episode confirms that he is gone and that Professor Hitoyoshi is running the Superhuman Bureau now. Hitoyoshi specifically referred to an "incident" with Akira; I'm pretty curious to see what that ends up being. It's probably whatever pushed Jiro over the edge to quit.

jonjonaug

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 005

Is there some unwritten rule about Space Operas that there always needs to be some planet that is based on an Earth civilization even when it makes zero sense?

Because there are Space Greeks here. Or are they Space Romans? The way that dude die was pretty et tu, brute.

I certainly hope that the nametags will keep happening as the show goes on Shirobako style because there is already an overflow of characters. I hope this won't be on the test.

They were more just being really freaking hedonistic, the whole thing was a costume party to them. The name tags stick around for a long time (at least all the way through the first quarter), so don't worry about names for now.

Do we have hamburgers and guns in this Federation?

It's the "Free Planets Alliance", not "Federation".

And yeah, both of these things show up.

I think we're all scared it's going to jump the shark any moment now lol

Considering it's by the King of Thorn guy, I'm not confident it will stay good.

That being said, it is something that theoretically has wider appeal, what with the adult protagonist and the setting in general. I feel like it would appeal to the GITS fanbase. It could probably use an OT.

Narag

Kikaider 1
EcZK8MM.png
09KtNw4.png
hjKcqkq.png

Watching under duress but that's alright. Feels like this was made in a really weird time. It's 2000 so has what I assume to be those weird digital growing pains. Anachronistic designs throw off the drama somewhat given how serious this was but that's more a criticism of myself than the show.

Jarmel

Banned
Btw the Dimension W Production Diaries by Funimation have been a cool insight into the show. The second one is pretty cool with the focus on the sound recording for the car as it reminds me of the whole thing in Shirobako. The third was kinda boring as the composer is insane.

And of course this will probably be the last time Funimation actually joins a Japanese production committee if the show bombs as hard as it's currently looking to be.

Cornbread78

I am actually part of the problem. Even if I love a show, I just tend to stick around here instead of joining the OT.

You should join the convo's in some of them with open dialog, lol.

Untrue. When I make an OT its usually for exposure although that hardly ever works out for me, except the Soma one and OPM, obviously.

I don't think a show-specific OT is worth making unless it has a built in fanbase of people who will post in it. I mean, Narag ended up making your Concrete Revolutio thread worthwhile but if he hadn't done that it would have been worthless.

I think the show specific OTs are good for open conversations about the shows and spoilers can be posted openly since they are week to week. Also, if you notice, many GAFfers that watch anime, but will not go into this community thread, will enter and post openly in a show specific OT.

Some OTs work, like the ones Metroid mentioned, as well as, sone that I have done like, the Charlotte OT and Owarimonogatari OTs. The Erased OT is going good so far as well. However, other OTs suffer because either the shows bomb, or just don't lead to much convo {Konosuba, Plastic Memories :(}

I still can't get over the fact that the psychiatrist in GATE suggested that vengeance is a possible cure for PTSD

I had a shrink like that once.

Said that my fear of reprisals was the only thing preventing me from performing horribly violent acts.

Yeah, Dr. Crane and I did not see eye to eye.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Sort of anime, sort of not, but I just finished watching Avatar the Last Airbender and it was pretty amazing. It was the perfect blend of "anime", but with western style comedy and characterization. I was honestly surprised by how good it was. I highly recommend it to anyone who doesn't have anything new to watch.

Crocodile

Btw the Dimension W Production Diaries by Funimation have been a cool insight into the show. The second one is pretty cool with the focus on the sound recording for the car as it reminds me of the whole thing in Shirobako. The third was kinda boring as the composer is insane.

And of course this will probably be the last time Funimation actually joins a Japanese production committee if the show bombs as hard as it's currently looking to be.

I'm not keeping up on sales data or what not but the issue I'd imagine is that while the show is thematically safe for Western audiences (with perhaps a weird overindulgence in male gaze), I don't think that has very strong hooks. It's not really a show that WOWS you to start off with and then demand you keep watching. It lacks that "Hollywood sensibility". Though I guess if "success" right now is based on Japanese ratings and disk sales - I never got the sense that shows similar to Dimension W like say Darker than Black were big hits over there. I don't think the characters are strong or endearing enough right now to real catch eyes nor is it in a genre that's particularly popular right now. The last show that hit it big in Japan that screamed "made for the West" to me (which is different than something that incidentally has international appeal like say Death Note or Attack on Titan) was Tiger and Bunny (in the internationally popular super-hero genre) right?

Sort of anime, sort of not, but I just finished watching Avatar the Last Airbender and it was pretty amazing. It was the perfect blend of "anime", but with western style comedy and characterization. I was honestly surprised by how good it was. I highly recommend it to anyone who doesn't have anything new to watch.

now never watch korra

Majin Bone - 1

This was a great first episode. Pacing was great, CG wasn't half bad, and the characters were super likeable. This'll be a good watchbet.

I'm impressed at how smooth the fight in the beginning was. Usually CG I see in shows come off as a floaty mess, but here it felt fluid and it blended in a lot more.

Puruzi

Banned
Watching Korra is worth it imo

Wasn't nearly as good as Airbender, but it was still decent

Season 2 was fucking garbage though, except for the Wan 2 parter.

That was dope as hell.

3 was the best season.

Moaradin

Korra has its problems but it's still better than most cartoons out there. Season 3 is legit great and up there with the best seasons of ATLA.

Book 2 is really the only season I'd consider bad, and even then it had the Wan episodes which are amazing.

Line_HTX

Kikaider 1

Watching under duress but that's alright. Feels like this was made in a really weird time. It's 2000 so has what I assume to be those weird digital growing pains. Anachronistic designs throw off the drama somewhat given how serious this was but that's more a criticism of myself than the show.

Now that's a name I haven't heard in years. Saw this in the early Adult Swim Action days and like always, the promos got me hooked with its premise and the words "A classic anime." The designs were a little off putting, but the drama and emotion of it plus the OVA episodes made this worthwhile. An underrated gem, IMO.

Seeing that you watch a lot of old stuff with some superhero elements, I thought you seen this one already.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Majin Bone - 1

This was a great first episode. Pacing was great, CG wasn't half bad, and the characters were super likeable. This'll be a good watchbet.

I'm impressed at how smooth the fight in the beginning was. Usually CG I see in shows come off as a floaty mess, but here it felt fluid and it blended in a lot more.

Majin Bone's CG powersuit fights take a while to get truly creative, but once they hit their stride they have better camerawork and choreography than most CG mecha anime produced for adult audiences. That alone is a fairly impressive claim for a kids' anime, but what really sets the CG apart is the great mocap (well, it looks like mocap). Scenes in the Cocoon can be dialogue-heavy, and the attention to gesticulation and character acting that matches the dialogue preserves the characters' personalities even when inside the suits. It's the closest thing to authentic tokusatsu that I've seen in anime.

Narag

Now that's a name I haven't heard in years. Saw this in the early Adult Swim Action days and like always, the promos got me hooked with its premise and the words "A classic anime." The designs were a little off putting, but the drama and emotion of it plus the OVA episodes made this worthwhile. An underrated gem, IMO.

Seeing that you watch a lot of old stuff with some superhero elements, I thought you seen this one already.

Hah just watched the promo. Good stuff. There's a lot of early to mid 00s stuff I'm unfamiliar with due to falling out of the hobby for a while.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Also, for N-Man per watchbet:

The King of Braves: GaoGaiGar ep1:

Feel a bit out of my depth watching this because it's a staple of its genre and I'm unfamiliar with most of the undoubtedly numerous mecha luminaries who worked on this. While I've consumed a lot of mecha anime, I'm still not partial enough to it as a genre to have invested a lot of time acquainting myself with its key figures, especially the super robot side. Does that really matter for a single episode commentary, though? Not really.

Anyway, GaoGaiGar opens in a fairly standard fashion for mecha anime, but it looks great and was consistently snappy and energetic in its presentation; conspicuously "cool" sequences and design choices abound. I'm especially partial to the character design which, while conspicuously 90s, has both a softness and a diversity in body proportion that is distinct and theoretically lends well to "cartoony" expressions and deformations.

There's also an immediate, if small, attempt to foster emotional investment in the first episode that defied my expectations for exposition in a "manly" super robot anime: the series opens with a young couple discussing their wish to have a child, after which a baby is then promptly delivered to them in expectedly absurd fashion by a mecha. The child ages and is reunited with the mecha, at which point it's revealed that the child is not "normal" but has some manner of special power and destiny. Whether the parent-child relationship has any future poignancy to be extracted remains to be seen, but there's a small but encouraging touch of humanity there. Not that I at all mind how extremely hot-blooded the episode was as a whole, of course. also kohei tanaka score hnnng

So, am 10 episodes into Gintama and enjoying it well enough. But all this seems like fairly regular introduction episodes. I mean the ep1 double feature gave a quick overview of hella lot characters and since then it showed everything from the beginning. Since I recall everyone saying this has been anime original content, does the manga just throw you in the middle of everything sorta like ep1+2?

Squishy3

So, am 10 episodes into Gintama and enjoying it well enough. But all this seems like fairly regular introduction episodes. I mean the ep1 double feature gave a quick overview of hella lot characters and since then it showed everything from the beginning. Since I recall everyone saying this has been anime original content, does the manga just throw you in the middle of everything sorta like ep1+2?
No, episode 3 is the beginning of the manga

Moaradin

The first dozen episodes do a lot of introducing characters and setting up recurring jokes. It gets a lot better once all that stuff is done. Episode 25 is pretty hilarious and a lot of people point to that one.

Episode 58 is when the first major serious arc begins.

pbayne

Arslan Senki - Ep. 8
You know, this show has also the building blocks of an amazing show, but keeps runing it with stuff like bad animation or bad fight choreography.
Actually that was a bit harsh, but my point is, it could be so much better than what it is.
They don't even have to change that much.
It's still a good anime, but it can be really frustrating at times.

Pretty much agree with this.

The biggest problem i had with the show is how slanted it is towards "religion and faith is bad". Near every character that has religious beliefs is portrayed as either a psychotic maniac or an ignorant follower. I wish they'd show the other side of the coin a bit more and show characters having a positive influence through faith.

Qurupeke

Dimension W 4

Pretty good episode. Those coils seem really powerful if they can essentially create a second world. Poor Mira. :( Also, the scene where Kyoma fought the blond guy was really good, is there a gif of it?

Chindogg

Korra has its problems but it's still better than most cartoons out there. Season 3 is legit great and up there with the best seasons of ATLA.

Book 2 is really the only season I'd consider bad, and even then it had the Wan episodes which are amazing.

Odd seasons of Korra are good. 2 was god awful and 4 had significant pacing and characterization issues,
especially with the ending relationship.

Concrete Revolutio 9

It's pretty cool that this show got the writer of the very first Sazae-san anime episode from 1969 to write this episode about a Sazae-san-like family.

I think I heard this a while back but when I did my own research I wasn't be able to find the connection. I'm not very good at comparing staff though. Could you give me a nice source that I can use for future reference?

Also, I hope my post the other day in the ConRevo thread didn't give you any spoilers. I didn't realize that you hadn't finished it yet. My apologies T_T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom