• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Shirayuki-hime S2 ep.4
Everyone was getting along and things we're going so well with prince Raj, then that ending. I'm sooooo sick of Shirayuki
being kidnapped as a source of tension
I mean, WTF. Next week is going to piss me off. Stop messing with my comfy shoujo romance...

Yuri Kuma was solid and while it didn't reach the highs of Penduindrum, it didn't fall apart either.

Bring the World Revolution > Survival Strategy > Kuma Shock

Yuri Kuma is interesting in that it lead with its worst foot and then got significantly better, when usually uneven shows do the opposite.

It doesn't have the same thematic highs as Penguindrum or Utena, but it was still one of the most interesting shows of 2015.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Anime still suuuuucks.

(Yuri Kuma >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Penguindrum).

Chindogg

Shirayuki-hime S2 ep.4
Everyone was getting along and thing we're going so well with prince Raj, then that ending. I'm sooooo sick of Shirayuki
being kidnapped as a source of tension
I mean, WTF. Next week is going to piss me off. Stop messing with my comfy shoujo romance...

I'm going to be so pissed if
Obi dies.

Jarmel

Banned
Anime still suuuuucks.

(Yuri Kuma >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Penguindrum).

484f86053e6.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
People still bug me about not finishing Utena, but Penguindrum really soured me on watching any Ikuhara. Yuri Kuma didn't help either, but at least it didn't True Dick Season 2 me to death.

Funi releasing 3.33 has reopened old wounds, so I kinda feel like rewatching it to reconfirm how bad it is and how much I hate it before I go off corvo style and explode into a raving tangent about how much I hate Mari

Does Yuri Kuma have an Akemi Hayashi ep?

No. Some of the staff from Penguindrum did stuff on Yurikuma Arashi - Shingo Kaneko, Mitsue Yamazaki, Katsunori Shibata - but some of the more interesting people such as Hayashi, Yamauchi, Nobuyuki Takeuchi are missing. In general, it really shows that Ikuhara was working with a weaker team at Silver Link than he was at Brains Base.

Anime still suuuuucks.

No, no, no.

Clov

I actually have to side with Firehawk to an extent. While I love Penguindrum, I actually like Yuri Kuma more.

On a related note, it seems when we're discussing Ikuhara that his Sailor Moon seasons are overlooked. S and SuperS are actually pretty great! They're among my favorite magical girl shows for sure.

Szadek

Arslan Senki - Ep. 8
You know, this show has also the building blocks of an amazing show, but keeps runing it with stuff like bad animation or bad fight choreography.
Actually that was a bit harsh, but my point is, it could be so much better than what it is.
They don't even have to change that much.
It's still a good anime, but it can be really frustrating at times.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Last time you tallied you had 212 and that was with you discarding someone's vote when they put Gundam. As if it wasn't dead obvious he was talking about IBO.
Listen, you can't spell "trust" without "T", "U", "S", and "R".

That next episode preview though.
I mean how many guys can completely fall for Shirayuki and still work out? We're approaching reverse harem levels now.

I think it's an issue that
it's basically a reverse harem but more of the ones where there is a main romantic interest and the lead wouldn't consider another, but others keep falling for them

Part of the reason I got bored as it started promising but then it reaches this current arc and it just felt like it would be going to plotlines where more and more guys
will fall for her
and I don't care to follow as neither the plot nor the characters are charismatic enough to keep watching.

duckroll

No. Some of the staff from Penguindrum did stuff on Yurikuma Arashi - Shingo Kaneko, Mitsue Yamazaki, Katsunori Shibata - but some of the more interesting people such as Hayashi, Yamauchi, Nobuyuki Takeuchi are missing. In general, it really shows that Ikuhara was working with a weaker team at Silver Link than he was at Brains Base.

Boooo. No Akemi, no sale!

Arslan Senki - Ep. 8
You know, this show has also the building blocks of an amazing show, but keeps runing it with stuff like bad animation or bad fight choreography.
Actually that was a bit harsh, but my point is, it could be so much better than what it is.
They don't even have to change that much.
It's still a good anime, but it can be really frustrating at times.

That's basically my take on the show.

It's a potentially awesome show stuck with bad production values and some really questionable story decisions.

At least the production values might be fixed in the blu-rays.

Cornbread78

That next episode preview though.
I mean how many guys can completely fall for Shirayuki and still work out? We're approaching reverse harem levels now.

We are already there, well, once the lul' herb boy confesses, lol.

-------------------------

I say we just replace the IBO with Your Lie in April. Issue solved.

Feel sorry for Raj's little bro. Always dragged kicking and screaming into his sisters schemes.

At first I thought she was going to be the "jealous little sister" type, and she wasn't. I was surprised when she pushed Shirayuki into Obi as well. After that first assumption, I was expecting her to be one of those characters that only wants the best for her brother, and therefore try to separate Shirayuki from Obi. That didn't really happen either. In the realm of anime she is super passive lol.

Penguindrum is better than your favorite anime. Unless your favorite anime is Penguindrum. Then...I dunno what happens, I'm not a theoretical physicist.

Also, after reading Duckroll's responses about FMA I kinda realized the two specific examples he provided were literally two I thought about during the day when I was thinking back on what the OG did better than Brotherhood. I guess I kinda underestimated it after Brotherhood just from not having watched it in a while but if I really look back and examine the old series I'm prone to agreeing with Duckroll on this that there was a hell of a lot it did better in keeping with the theme of the show.

Cept Olivia Armstrong. Her not being in OG is a travesty.

Also, after reading the AOTY shit again, I am indescribably astonished and confused that I just never got into Crowds or Insights. It eludes me completely because literally everything else, and I do mean EVERYTHING ELSE by that director I adore (except C which I just kinda thought was neat). Like, Trapeze is in my top 3 anime of all time. Mononoke is in my top 5. Kemonozume was fucking incredible. Hell, he even directed my favorite Big O episode!

But for whatever reason I just can't get into fucking Crowds or Insight. It just bores me.

Edit: Oh yeah, Tsuritama was aight too.

I'm surprised nobody has created an OT for Dimension W.

I don't think a show-specific OT is worth making unless it has a built in fanbase of people who will post in it. I mean, Narag ended up making your Concrete Revolutio thread worthwhile but if he hadn't done that it would have been worthless.

As long as that shark is powered by Dimension W and shoots lasers out of its eyes.

I loved how generic and vague the explanation was. I already forgot most of it.

It was something like someone discovered dimension w and this dimension is so full of energy so they took it and created coils or something because Tesla.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 005

Is there some unwritten rule about Space Operas that there always needs to be some planet that is based on an Earth civilization even when it makes zero sense?

Because there are Space Greeks here. Or are they Space Romans? The way that dude die was pretty et tu, brute.

I certainly hope that the nametags will keep happening as the show goes on Shirobako style because there is already an overflow of characters. I hope this won't be on the test

I don't think a show-specific OT is worth making unless it has a built in fanbase of people who will post in it. I mean, Narag ended up making your Concrete Revolutio thread worthwhile but if he hadn't done that it would have been worthless.

Untrue. When I make an OT its usually for exposure although that hardly ever works out for me, except the Soma one and OPM, obviously.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I still can't get over the fact that the psychiatrist in GATE suggested that vengeance is a possible cure for PTSD

Is there some unwritten rule about Space Operas that there always needs to be some planet that is based on an Earth civilization even when it makes zero sense?

Because there are Space Greeks here. Or are they Space Romans? The way that dude die was pretty et tu, brute.

I certainly hope that the nametags will keep happening as the show goes on Shirobako style because there is already an overflow of characters. I hope this won't be on the test

Don't worry; the anime staff know you won't remember all 382,937 characters so they keep putting their names on screen throughout.

Untrue. When I make an OT its usually for exposure although that hardly ever works out for me, except the Soma one and OPM, obviously.

Yeah, and both Soma and OPM had built-in fanbases from the manga. Making a thread for exposure usually doesn't work unless you can say FROM THE DIRECTOR OF COWBOY BEBOP in the thread title.

Don't worry; the anime staff know you won't remember all 382,937 characters so they keep putting their names on screen throughout.

Yeah, and both Soma and OPM had built-in fanbases from the manga. Making a thread for exposure usually doesn't work unless you can say FROM THE DIRECTOR OF COWBOY BEBOP in the thread title.

I didn't expect the Soma thread to get over 100 posts, but OPM I already knew it would be a larger thread, just not like 5,000 posts. Others I made like Death Parade I made for exposure.

edit: lol I forgot I made an Ushio and Tora OT.

Szadek

That's basically my take on the show.

It's a potentially awesome show stuck with bad production values and some really questionable story decisions.

At least the production values might be fixed in the blu-rays.
Seems unlikely. It's pretty uncommon for most studios.
Shafft does it a lot, but that's mostly because they can't get their shit together in time.

Droplet

Welp Haruchika was, as stated, not very good. But Rakugo was, I'll catch up on that.

I certainly hope that the nametags will keep happening as the show goes on Shirobako style because there is already an overflow of characters. I hope this won't be on the test.

They usually have character names if they haven't shown up for a while, but occasionally I would just forget a character altogether and no name tags in the world were going to help me remember them. Thankfully the person I was watching with had a better memory than me.

And yeah, there are some of the strange theatrics (they're totally space Romans) at the start that disappear for the most part after the first 20 episodes, but thinking back to them now they were pretty odd. I guess the Empire itself was pretty much Germany.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom