• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just T

Gintama: 308

Now there’s a good opening. A very somber episode, they nailed the atmosphere. Gintoki and Kondo’s conversation was nice, didn’t expect for him to be taken in. The look in some of their eyes, you can tell how defeated some of the characters feel, Gintoki just seems completely out of it. Also there are not a lot arcs I don’t like in Gintama but the Hardboiled Detective Arc is definitely one of those few, so can’t say I was pleased to see that character again.

Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen: 17

Shocker. I read how one shouldn’t watch this episode before finishing the first season but eh I rather not, I’ll manage.

Bubuki Buranki: 4

I was not expecting this to have game like rules with the counterparts, seems unnecessary. Well there wasn’t much Hiiragi though so that’s a plus.

Durarara!!x2 Ketsu : 4

Ketsu is still going strong and the hype is steadily increasing. Nice fight and Kasane is still very interesting to watch.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Konosuba 4
Now that is one way to clear quest. Screw going to an abandoned castle and fighting against army of undead and dullahan to clear a curse, just ask your local arch priest to heal you.

Yeah, show been pretty fun so far. Kazuma and Megumin become best friend over explosion and Dullahan reaction to darkness was hilarious.

Phatmac

Gintama 308

Is this really my Gintama, everything is so serious now. This really is the ending

I'm going to cry my eyes out ;_; not ready for this emotional destruction
Feel the same way. Don't think Gintama has had 2 serious arcs back to back. It's crazy how well done they've been with any new arc they chose to do.

Andrew J.

Would you like to see more down-to-earth (or 'realistic') mecha combat? There's plenty of it out there. Gundam has dabbled it in in works like 08th MS Team and War in the Pocket. Outside of Gundam we have lots of other contenders such as VOTOMS, Mellowlink, Break Blade, FLAG and even to a small extent Patlabor.

I think IBO represents the upper limit for how grounded mecha combat can be for me. More than that and I'd rather just watch Girls und Panzer.

Cornbread78

Evangelion ep.18
Fuck you Commander Ikari, seriously, fuck everything about you. I hope an angel rips you apart limb by limb by the final episode....

Speaking of final episodes. My buddy just told me to stop watching the series after ep.24, then watch the 2 movies before watching the final 2 episodes. Is that legit?

Speaking of final episodes. My buddy just told me to stop watching the series after ep.24, then watch the 2 movies before watching the final 2 episodes. Is that legit?

Just watch the TV series all the way through and then watch End of Evangelion. You don't need to watch Death and Rebirth, the first part of it is a summary of the TV series and the second part is in EoE.

Phantom World might somehow be worse than Kyoukai no Kanata.
KnK's self-seriousness makes it so much worse.

Clov

Just watch the TV series all the way through and then watch End of Evangelion. You don't need to watch Death and Rebirth, the first half of it is a recap and the second half is in EoE.

This is the way to do it. Don't listen to anyone who tells you not to watch the last two episodes; they're very interesting in their own right, though I do personally prefer EoE.

Mature

Evangelion ep.18
Fuck you Commander Ikari, seriously, fuck everything about you. I hope an angel rips you apart limb by limb by the final episode....

As was said, watch the TV series to completion.

duckroll

It was more entertaining though. I'm halfway through ep.5 and this is utterly boring material, not to mention bad writing.

Oh and the writing comes off as pretentious in a way that KnK never really did.

The only entertainment I ever got out of KnK was counting how many times I cut myself while watching each episode.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The only entertainment I ever got out of KnK was counting how many times I cut myself while watching each episode.

My wrist was a bloody mess by the time I got halfway through Kara no Kyoukai.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Evangelion ep.18

Nope, watch 25 & 26 first, then watch the 2 movies

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It was more entertaining though. I'm halfway through ep.5 and this is utterly boring material, not to mention bad writing.
I haven't watched the newest episode of Phantom World, but by design it's much more wild with what it does every week. I'm actually somewhat confused as to how someone would derive more "entertainment" value out of KnK.

Jarmel

Banned
I haven't watched the newest episode of Phantom World, but by design it's much more wild with what it does every week. I'm actually somewhat confused as to how someone would derive more "entertainment" value out of KnK.

The characters are utter blackholes and the writing is about in the same ballpark despite having a more humorous tone. Originality doesn't mean shit if the execution isn't there.

Not to mention the last three episodes have largely played the episode themes straight with shitty results in all cases.

Yu Yu Hakusho - 78

I didn't really think the show would be that interesting after the Dark Tournament, however so far it has still been fairly exciting to my surprise.
A few episodes scattered around this arc felt a bit slow, but the majority of episodes has been easy to binge through, thanks to the mysteriously start of the arc, and things progressing quick enough.

Adding more of the "mindgames" of sorts has been a nice contrast to the last arc. I also have high hopes for the villain from the get go this time around. Sansui feels much more interesting than Toguro with his tactical and cunning advances. He feels like a light Chrollo.
The hospital part had some cool stuff going on, and one episode in particular I guess Shinbo got wild, because that's like the most amount of eye centric shots in an episode I've seen!

I've started to notice some more soundtrack additions which is nice, the new battle theme is great!

pM7a6ym.jpg
xunb1Pv.jpg

muh character development and plot in a dumb comedy

lol

Konosuba is already more than a dumb comedy. The show punches above its weight with the interesting characters that break the mold - with the exception of Darkness who I swear I've seen in a million ecchi shows and whose name manages to be worse than Megumin's - and by wrapping up the complexities of living in a neat little adventure wrapping. I would give it more credit than just pushing it into the dumb comedy corner.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm finding the characters in Phantom World to be too shallow to be interesting on a character level. The only one who is remotely interesting is Reina, due to her parental problems, while Mai comes off as the usual tomboy tsundere than anything else. Besides the genie Phantom, the characters are also not entertaining enough for me to excuse how vapid they are. There's nothing here on the character side that hasn't been done before or executed either in a new manner/vastly better in multiple variations. There's just nothing here.

Then you have the material itself, last week's was probably the most interesting and moving as it showed a level of creativity and also tied in thematically with a number of the characters. Too bad the actual emotional crux of episode #4 was resolved offscreen. This week's though? This was background drama in the most boring manner possible, not to mention the fact that Koito is just a bland kuudere. Just bad material with bad direction. That said I don't know if there was any way they could have spiced this up without going full parody.

That's not even getting into the stupid openings that come straight out of Wikipedia that the show somehow tries to pass off as deep. They are poking fun at it but they're also taking it somewhat straight too. It's amazing how big the quality gap is between Konosuba and this.

Cornbread78

Evangelion ep.19
Well, cry baby comes back and.... wait, WTF just happened? Shinji, Shinji, wtf have you become? That was some crazy shit right there. Dinner anyone?

Line_HTX

Ehh, I don't think it's talking down to you or anything. There may be some asspulls here and there, but I think this show is mindless fun with a few random factoid or trivia.

Good Kyoani placeholder until the return of Euphonium.

sonicmj1

Evangelion ep.18

You should stop watching the series after ep. 24, then watch the final 2 episodes before watching End of Evangelion.

I dunno about Phantom World, but KnK's attempts at humor just left me feeling gross the majority of the time. It wielded the male characters' fetishes like a cudgel.

That episode where they do a pop idol performance was alright.

Puruzi

Banned
Konosuba is already more than a dumb comedy. The show punches above its weight with the interesting characters that break the mold - with the exception of Darkness who I swear I've seen in a million ecchi shows and whose name manages to be worse than Megumin's - and by wrapping up the complexities of living in a neat little adventure wrapping. I would give it more credit than just pushing it into the dumb comedy corner.

ehh, it's just a dumb comedy imo.

I like it, and I find it funny, but it's not anything special to me.

and darkness is great

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Between Saekano's and Phantom World's "haha I'm self aware but not really" I think I prefer Saekano overall.

I'm just watching Phantom World because it's purdy.

John Blade

Just asking people here but is Key The Metal Idol worth a watch as I see one on sale and wonder if I should bite it. Also, got myself Kamichu! collection.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The characters are utter blackholes and the writing is about in the same ballpark despite having a more humorous tone. Originality doesn't mean shit if the execution isn't there.

Not to mention the last three episodes have largely played the episode themes straight with shitty results in all cases.
I don't really get what you're talking about. Maybe it's just a difference in values. If I was going to watch something that was bad I would value it more if it strived for originality, even if it floundered along the way.

Phantom World utilizes its open ended nature and light-hearted tone to play with concepts and visual imagery. It obviously remains self-serious to a point, but its path for getting there does wind and twist. KnK confronts its monster battles head on, with the only path being people flipping around trying to look cool while fighting demons. Phantom World doesn't have that same air of pretentiousness. It's goofing around the whole time while it's trying to deliver its character stories and establish the cast. Confronting problematic spirits in Phantom World usually doesn't boil down to the characters simply squaring off against an enemy. The only time KnK ever got to a place like that was in its idol episode.

If the action and serious character interactions of KnK held more value to you than the over the top playfulness of PW I would understand, but it's hard to really categorize KnK as a show that was "entertaining".

Cornbread78

Evangelion ep.20
Now that was some mindfuck right there? I swear, if Eva 1 ends up being Shinji's mom, I will never watch another mecha anime again...
Welcome back squirt. Oh and speaking of squirt, that closing minute, damn Misato, quiet down, I know you were getting the D pretty hard, but.... Nevermind, that was pretty hot.

Since Super Beaver sung for Barakamon's Opening. What's the chance they come back to sing the Opening for Handa-kun since both series are related to each other?

Super Beaver's songs imo would definitely fit Handa-kun. I really love their new album they released, it's really good.

Amagi was miles ahead of what Phantom World is so far, that show was pretty damn funny at times too and the characters all had unique personalities. I'm watching Phantom World still, but it's probably the least exciting thing that's on all week for me. Can't say I really care about any of these characters. Heck even a comfy show like Shirayuki is placing higher for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom