• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Between Saekano's and Phantom World's "haha I'm self aware but not really" I think I prefer Saekano overall.

I'm just watching Phantom World because it's purdy.

Still waiting for the return of the odd, fullscreen off-color shots of Saekano.

Phantom World looks like a good budget enough, lol

Narag

Sure

C2mnVl.png

That was a good avatar.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't really get what you're talking about. Maybe it's just a difference in values. If I was going to watch something that was bad I would value it more if it strived for originality, even if it floundered along the way.

Phantom World utilizes its open ended nature and light-hearted tone to play with concepts and visual imagery. It obviously remains self-serious to a point, but its path for getting there does wind and twist. KnK confronts its monster battles head on, with the only path being people flipping around trying to look cool while fighting demons. Phantom World doesn't have that same air of pretentiousness. It's goofing around the whole time while it's trying to deliver its character stories and establish the cast. Confronting problematic spirits in Phantom World usually doesn't boil down to the characters simply squaring off against an enemy. The only time KnK ever got to a place like that was in its idol episode.

If the action and serious character interactions of KnK held more value to you than the over the top playfulness of PW I would understand, but it's hard to really categorize KnK as a show that was "entertaining".

However the bolded has happened three times out of the five episodes though. I mean that's exactly what episode 5 boiled down to. It's not doing enough with the concept which is making the other flaws all the more apparent. Episodes 1 and 4 right now are more the exception than the rule.

It also has a different sort of pretentious which primarily ties into the introductions and some of the explanations.

It's the characters. I feel like they are by some miracle of God (or the Devil) worse than the ones in Kyoukai no Kanata. Mai is a worse heroine than Mirai, partially due to the lack of her involvement, but also rather her personality comes off more as obnoxious than anything else. I mean KnK had a really shitty catmom but the characters had more energy than the group as a whole presented in Phantom World. Ruru and Reina are pretty much singlehandedly holding up the cast in PW.

Sakura

Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko 03

These girls say they didn't bully Azuki Azusa, yet fooled her into going to Hokkaido resulting in her being unable to go on the school trip to Okinawa, and they didn't even apologise? That's terrible

I'm struggling to understand what is pretentious about Phantom World. Its weekly stories and character arcs are basic and even rote, but I don't really see how the show is presenting itself as more than what it is. Clunky exposition doesn't qualify.

ibyea

Banned
Evangelion ep.18
Fuck you Commander Ikari, seriously, fuck everything about you. I hope an angel rips you apart limb by limb by the final episode....

Speaking of final episodes. My buddy just told me to stop watching the series after ep.24, then watch the 2 movies before watching the final 2 episodes. Is that legit?

You are finally feeling my pain as I watched that show. The pain of watching Gendo Ikari not being punched in the face.

Has anyone read Bungo Stray Dogs?

Is it any good? Apparently the main character can turn into a white tiger.

Which is something I suppose.

Have there been any BONES that were adapted from LN's before, or are most of them either from manga or original?

Besides what was mentioned above, No. 6 was based off a novel series (not sure if it's classified as "light" novel), and Un-Go is loosely based on the mystery stories of Ango Sakaguchi (1906-1955).

duckroll

Hey I was actually writing up episode summaries while the show was airing unlike you! I put Garo's loss on the AOTY count on your shoulders.

I accept responsibility, and I push the blame towards Aldnoah/Zero destroying my will to care about anime in 2015!

Haikyuu S2 16-17

Both these episodes featuring some really great moments of direction: episode 16 with the end of the episode scenes of Daichi's injury, and episode 17 with the backstory of Ennoshita. I was amused that when the latter came on as substitute captain, the episode did a flashback discussion of scenes in which he's appeared in the series so far, as if to assure people that he's really been around the whole time! But I'm happy that the show is taking the time to flesh out characters who aren't superstars. It leads to a more well-rounded portrayal of Karasuno and broadens the show's scope in general, just as its commitment to fleshing out opposing teams does.

I have a hosanna voodoo doll. When Stray Dogs comes out every bad episode will get the doll stabbed once.

What did I do to deserve this?

Escaflowne: A Girl in Gaea
I could see how a fan of the TV series could really dislike what they did with the characters here, most of them are reduced to basic caricatures and are drastically changed from what they were, especially Folken. But I was able to prevent myself from being overly concerned with those comparisons and just enjoy this for the art, animation, and music. It's an enjoyable enough film on its own if you don't go in to it expecting the writing or characters to be more than a vehicle for some nice visuals.

Jarmel

Banned
I could see how a fan of the TV series could really dislike what they did with the characters here, most of them are reduced to basic caricatures and are drastically changed from what they were, especially Folken. But I was able to prevent myself from being overly concerned with those comparisons and just enjoy this for the art, animation, and music. It's an enjoyable enough film on its own if you don't go in to it expecting the writing or characters to be more than a vehicle for some nice visuals.

I hadn't seen the TV series in so long that I forgot what had happened when I saw the movie. I was fine with it.

The movie is just flat out gorgeous especially the lighting.

So this is sort of an X movie situation then?

duckroll

I travelled almost 9000 miles to watch the Escaflowne movie! But I got to say "WHY DID YOU RUIN FOLKEN" to the director's face, so there's that!

Mature

Just watch the CG sequences and be content with that.
I'm more interested in the overwrought melodrama.

While I think it's executed significantly better by comparison, this is generally how I feel about Macross: DYRL vs the TV series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom