• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I think it's executed significantly better by comparison, this is generally how I feel about Macross: DYRL vs the TV series.

I'd say DYRL works much better as a companion piece as it doesn't have characterization that outright conflicts with the TV series.
I travelled almost 9000 miles to watch the Escaflowne movie! But I got to say "WHY DID YOU RUIN FOLKEN" to the director's face, so there's that!
What was the answer?
So this is sort of an X movie situation then?
I haven't watched any X (should I?), but from a quick glance at reviews, the X film seems to be a lot more incoherent and rushed than Escaflowne's film.

Cornbread78

Evangelion ep.21
Finally got into a bunch of the back story of Shinji's parents, how NERV came to be and Rei. With that being said, who/what is Rei? Didn't that doctor
choke her to death? She looks like Shinji's dad? Is she a genetic baby
I missed something there.. .

Episode 22
Speaking of mindfuck. Asuka's mind just got raped. We still know very little about her, but we got a couple tidbits. Asuka just can't break out of that tsundere mold, but she could be interesting if she actually grew up a little mentally and emotionally.

Narag

Phantom World 5

SB4tQ3t.jpg

Phantom World is far from the worst KyoAni show. I'm enjoying it but 90% of that enjoyment comes from KyoAnis art. I do agree the MC and big boob senpai are meh.

Jintor

Evangelion ep.21
Finally got into a bunch of the back story of Shinji's parents, how NERV came to be and Rei. With that being said, who/what is Rei? Didn't that doctor
choke her to death? She looks like Shinji's dad? Is she a genetic baby
I missed something there.. .

Episode 22
Speaking of mindfuck. Asuka's mind just got raped. We still know very little about her, but we got a couple tidbits. Asuka just can't break out of that tsundere mold, but she could be interesting if she actually grew up a little mentally and emotionally.

Everyone will be rushing to fill you in when you wrap the episodes and the movies

Memories (1995)

Memories comes with a pedigree. The names Katsuhiro Otomo, Satoshi Kon, Koji Morimoto, and Tensei Okamura all carry enough weight individually, but putting them together resulted in, arguably for some, the greatest anime anthology ever created. Each story in the set represents the very best of what anime can be - dancing around between hauntingly beautiful, thought-provoking, heart-wrenching, and darkly humorous. I can't believe that I only just found out about this set recently because, of all the shows I have seen, nothing can be cleanly compared to this trilogy.

Since they released so long ago, I don't really know how many people have and have not seen them, so I won't go into the stories of each short. To reveal too much about the shorts feels like it takes something away from the series so I'll leave it blank. If you haven't seen this, watch it. It hasn't aged at all.

10/10

Hidamari Sketch X Honeycomb 2

Seeing the next episode preview made me think: What really was the point of adapting Hidamari achronologically? It's just so pointless. I mean, I'm glad Yuno's arrival at Hidamari was delayed to x365 so Tatsuya Oishi could direct it, but in general it just seems a random "Shaft" quirk for no good reason.

Jarmel

Banned
If you don't want to do the searching yourself, I looked up the staff list through the wiki duckroll posted and can tell you the staff for 103:

Storyboard: Susumu Nishizawa
Episode Director: Ai Yoshimura
Animation Director: Hitomi Tsuruta

Yea I did look it up, I'll mention it briefly as Yoshimura did good work earlier in the series too. Thanks.

Thanks.

Jarmel

Banned
Gintama 105-
YSKTfjY.jpg

Why are the Shinsengumi arcs so much better than the other ones?
This has been the second serious arc involving the Shinsengumi and again it's head and shoulders over the arcs. They are flat out better animated and directed, and probably a bit better written. Gintama hasn't really impressed me on a visual front and I understand that's mostly because it's a somewhat long running show and it's essentially damn near impossible to have high production values on something like this on a weekly basis. The show does a good job though of shifting resources to more serious arcs, resulting in certain episodes looking better than the rest. However I want to highlight the efforts of Ai Yoshimura who has produced two outstanding episodes (both Shinsengumi related), 86 and 103.
The train car sequence was just astounding, partially due to the storyboarding but also the writing and animation. Hitomi Tsuruta put in work as the character designs looked much sharper than they usually do which helped reflect the deadly serious tone. I don't think any Gintama character had previously been depicted like that and Okita just comes off as truly terrifying. Okita giving them one last lesson served to not only reinforce his connection with the people he was fighting but also establish his dominance. Watching the goons hyperventilate and sweat before they strike him in mass really established just how scary he was, even before he struck a single blow. The show has repeatedly established that Hijikata is a better sword fighter so it was unusual to see Okita in this role but it also serves to remind the audience about just how fearsome the entire Gintama crew is.
J5T41st.jpg
TIa2RVo.jpg

103 had some fantastic close-ups.
The other episodes weren't as particularly strong as 103 but also had some solid storyboarding and animation. There were some good cuts in 104, overseen by Yoko Sato who also oversaw the animation for episode 87, which looked great. I don't think Itou's focus in 104 and 105 was as good as it should have been but that's partially due to how late they introduced him. I think he should have been inserted into the story awhile ago so this didn't come off as the usual 'last minute bad guy justification/remorse'. That said, I thought the storyboarding in 105 strengthened the plotline and elicited a stronger reaction from me as a result. Naoki Hishikawa (#105 ED) did a good job closing the arc.
GuDFmB8.jpg
j9ke45a.jpg

Makes sense why the arc ended near a bridge.
I've been impressed with how easily the show shifts gears and how well it transitions into these serious arcs. I mean this one started off with Hijikata taking a sword that made him into a NEET of all things. It's very good at balancing both the comedic and dramatic elements which prevents things from becoming stale. Hopefully the future arcs are closer to this caliber.

Oh and I looked up the most recent show Ai Yoshimura directed, who also directed the first season of My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU, and it was Dance with Devils.
---____---

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Honestly, the Yoshiwara arcs the best srsbsns Gintama arcs. As much as I like the Shinsengumi, I find their stories to be the least interesting.

(I say that knowing that the anime has now reached "that" arc. :p)

I just got my Starbound server set up again since the combat rebalance happened. Is anyone still even playing this?

I am an idiot who cannot read thread titles.

zulux21

Can we change the rules of AOTY so I can vote for Venture Bros in 2016?

but then in my top 10 anime would be Venture Bros, Steven Universe, and Gravity falls for 2016... and that just feels, odd :p

I'm still hoping the next few seasons prove more entertaining, so far this year only dimension W and Erased have a shot at my top anime of 2016. (though if gate finally does something it could be near the bottom, and durara and assassination classroom could be up there but both of those I plan on watching dubbed)

but then in my top 10 anime would be Venture Bros, Steven Universe, and Gravity falls for 2016... and that just feels, odd :p

I'm still hoping the next few seasons prove more entertaining, so far this year only dimension W and Erased have a shot at my top anime of 2016. (though if gate finally does something it could be near the bottom, and durara and assassination classroom could be up there but both of those I plan on watching dubbed)

King of the Hill is my favorite anime.

pbayne

Something he outlines the scenario for and then hands off to another writer after 3 episodes so they can push Slaine

Slaine is a godsend if the alternative is Inaho.

Wonder how heavily involved Urobuchi will be in Conrete Revolutio's second season?

The new Berserk anime will be a TV anime airing in July on WOWOW and MBS' Animeism block.

I did find the first episode to be rather dull!

I regret ever listening to your advice.

He's just a guest writer.

Right, I expect Urobuchi to just write one episode during the season, as Masaki Tsuji did in season 1. Given the special situation of Tsuji's episode, I wonder if Urobuchi's episode will feature subject matter with a connection to his previous works. But what could that be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom