• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah Erased 05 was way too on the nose. Really reminded me of your average TV thriller which have a massive hard on for being completely unsubtle and tripping over themselves to have a cliffhanger, which is why I don't watch TV thrillers anymore.

Yeah, the fifth episode of ERASED wasn't too hot. A solidly mediocre affair.

If he manages to go back, and just fixes everything on his second attempt, then the whole first half of the show was pretty pointless.

I'll be honest, I wish he had just stayed in the past. The present isn't that interesting.

Quasar

Crunchyroll finally adds AndroidTV support to the Android app. Too bad the interface is terrible even for them and it does not support universal search.

On the upside the AnimeLab app now supports universal search.

I wonder if that was in the manga and they just adapted it as is.

What I understand from Twitter is that episode 5 of Erased was adapted in a much more 1:1 manner than previous episodes have been. It and next week's episode 6 are also outsourced, to Studio Flad (whoever they are) and Nakamura Pro respectively.

I think that's a very reasonable conclusion to reach.

I've completely reorganised my life and, as a result of this I admit that I've spent very little time watching anime (or anything, really) in the last six months or so. I only had time to watch Concrete Revolutio because it was the Christmas holiday and I ended up blasting through it in a couple of days during. As a result, you can see that I didn't really have anything to say regarding the show - I just had some very surface reactions to convey.

I don't really have the time to even consider writing anything substantial about the shows I am watching. It takes a considerable amount of time to even write a half-decent episode recap and at the moment I don't even find myself with the 30 seconds it takes to check ANN.

Yeah, I totally understand being busy; I only invest the time in anime that I do because I deliberately make time for it as a way to relieve the rest of the stress in my life. I'm actually kind of surprised that you still show up here and Twitter at all with how busy you are, especially as it mostly seems to be to say how much you disliked this or that. Seems like it would make more sense to just watch episodes of Doremi whenever you feel like it, so that your limited time for entertainment can be spent on things that actually entertain you.

It's a very slow build up, but 13 onwards is when the show actually gets really good (which is a tough sell for a lot of people but I personally believe it's worth it). Animation quality and fight choreography improves as well.

Personally, I feel like Garo the Animation is good from the start. The best parts of the show are when the buildups of the narrative and character arcs make themselves felt, and the more episodic material in the couple of episodes after the first and the couple of episodes after the midpoint can be somewhat inconsistent in execution, but as a whole I'd say the show is quite consistent in being well envisioned, well directed, well designed, well written, and well structured. I really do think it's a shining model for how original anime ought to be.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
What I understand from Twitter is that episode 5 of Erased was adapted in a much more 1:1 manner than previous episodes have been. It and next week's episode 6 are also outsourced, to Studio Flad (whoever they are) and Nakamura Pro respectively.

Yeah, I totally understand being busy; I only invest the time in anime that I do because I deliberately make time for it as a way to relieve the rest of the stress in my life. I'm actually kind of surprised that you still show up here and Twitter at all with how busy you are, especially as it mostly seems to be to say how much you disliked this or that. Seems like it would make more sense to just watch episodes of Doremi whenever you feel like it, so that your limited time for entertainment can be spent on things that actually entertain you.

Personally, I feel like Garo the Animation is good from the start. The best parts of the show are when the buildups of the narrative and character arcs make themselves felt, and the more episodic material in the couple of episodes after the first and the couple of episodes after the midpoint can be somewhat inconsistent in execution, but as a whole I'd say the show is quite consistent in being well envisioned, well directed, well designed, well written, and well structured. I really do think it's a shining model for how original anime ought to be.

True but to a casual watcher it's simply monster of the week with some overriding plot about Mendoza, you won't notice and get a true sense that it's entirely character driven until a reasonable amount of time into it's progression. Hence why you can certainly refer to it as slow especially to someone who wants to see something less systematic and linear. For most of the early episodes (or the show in general), you'll spend your time world building getting a feel for lives of the inhabitants, of it's world. Which is largely pretty awful and minors medieval life as whole. It's through those interactions with it's inhabitants you get a feel for the primary characters themselves and it builds from there.

Qurupeke

Hmm, that's interesting. Is stuff like the last supper close up, the crows or the close up on Hinazuki's mother's face, to name a few, in the manga? I'm not sure though if the fact this episode was outsourced explain those hyperbolic effects.They were prominent in episode 4 too, which wasn't outsourced, if I recall the discussions here correctly, but I guess episode 5 expanded them even more...

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Erased 05
MzCU16x.jpg

when you try to trace some location and none of the proportions line up right
Just photoshop the cover of this inside the trash bag. Erased has begun to dance around in the topic of death, but it's been so trivialized and distanced that none of it really feels like it matters. Time travel is bad enough when it comes to ironing out the interesting elements of consequence inherently tied to reality, but this series kind of just moves a few steps further than that to not even carry much of an emotional punch. After building up Kayo and this relationship to her the conclusion just feels flat. It doesn't create sympathetic moments. There's not much investigation. There's not a hint of closure. A new door isn't presented. The aftermath is just a really shallow moment that highlights the callous nature of Kayo's mother rather than shining anything extra on Kayo herself. She was an object to be used by the writer and then she just kind of got unceremoniously thrown in the trash.

Everything else was just bad and lazy and ugly in the ways others have already touched upon. Entering someone's room should always tell us something about the character, but instead we just get a really lousy picture on the wall that bluntly states the intent of the scene. This show doesn't really have any subterfuge in relation to evading the police, and the empty and lifeless cityscapes just go ignored as the character warps around them. All that's left is the tension around the manager, and it's all really pointless and poorly dramatized. Someone would have to go to the hospital for the hit Airi delivered, and it's just the sort of basic detail glossed over that sells how meaningless and poorly thought out the events of this show are.

In the end this is really just more self-esteem wank material for late-teen and twenty something men. Can't wait for the character to have to sacrifice more to save all these helpless women. He is Jesus Christ after all.
That's fine; I don't doubt your sincerity. But in retrospect, I see it as evidence of your decline. Over the past year you've made statements that are flat-out ignorant (that the Pokemon series has never had good animation) or highly dubious (that Concrete Revolutio is unambitious superhero fluff), to the point where I fear I can no longer respect your critical faculties.
enBYoSL.png

Erased Episode 5

The use of symbolism through this whole series has been beautifully subtle - warm colors near Hinazuki, using elements in the scene to create visual narrative, even the speed the characters travel at certain times. This episode takes the sublime, light-touch of the previous episodes and crushes it with heavy-handed metaphors thrown all around.

I didn't mind
returning to the future
- I expected it just based on the number of episodes we had left and how the show would have to be paced to finish. If anything, it indicates that the show is still solidly on track as far as pacing goes. If it continues to move along at this rate, I will be content.

The logic of this episode is what bothers me the most, as it indicates a failure of the source material.
The only two people who should have known that Airi was home alone and had anything to do with Satoru are the manager or the police officer talking to the manager. The manager has had nothing to indicate him as a suspect up until now so I imagine he is a red herring. The police officer is also an unknown character so if he turns out to be the killer somehow it won't make sense.Ultimately, we are left to assume there is some omni-potent third party and that doesn't settle with me.
Alongside that, the show fails to really make me care about these "deaths" since Satoru can simply travel back in time and rewrite all the wrongs. It's hard to feel tension when someone has a superpower with no apparent downside.

How is that dumb moe thread actually still going?

Why is it still going?

People coming in and dumping fuel on the fire with really pedantic and sarcastic comments in conjunction with people taking the bait. All while a few people have legitimate conversation while the thread burns down around them. :p

Man, may as well just cancel Erased now.

Cut your losses, don't even show the 6th episode.

Burn down the studio too so we can forget this slightly mediocre episode ever happened.

Jarmel

Banned
Wow, I can't imagine episode 5 of Erased is that bad. I'll get around to it once I get out this lab.

Flad?

Tuck

Erased - 5
I enjoyed it. The future isn't as interesting, and we don't have nearly the attachment to the future characters as the kids in the past. But it was still very fun to watch.

It will end when you all write the correct definition of moe out 100 times.

From now on whenever threads like this come up my only response is going to be:

"I'm going to let BGBW handle this one."

If we all do this, everyone will think BGBW is some kind of expert in the field and he can handle all of it.

Basically how I'm feeling. I'll be heading home soon. Hope people are exaggerating. ):

I don't think anyone is calling it bad, just a step down in quality from before. Think from a 9 down to a Perfect Insider.

Clov

Never heard of either of those studios. Can we expect the next episode to be as poor as this one? It felt really lifeless this week compared to previous episodes.

Flad.

Never heard of either of those studios. Can we expect the next episode to be as poor as this one? It felt really lifeless this week compared to previous episodes.

I'm a little familiar with Nakamura Pro; they have a bad reputation among people who follow Gundam, which they work on a lot as outsourcing from Sunrise.

Also, I'll say that most outsourcing studios aren't widely known, because they tend not to also produce their own shows.

pbayne

How is that dumb moe thread actually still going?

Why is it still going?

Even though I haven't posted on gaf for long every anime topic I see on the ot boards seem to follow a common trend of; 10 or so pages of decent discussion which eventually devolves into pointless arguments over semantics and opinions on"what's wrong with anime"

Even though I haven't posted on gaf for long every anime topic I see on the ot boards seem to follow a common trend of; 10 or so pages of decent discussion which eventually devolves into pointless arguments over semantics and opinions on"what's wrong with anime"

10 pages? That's generous. You can tell by the opening post and even the thread title where that thread was going to go in about 10 seconds.

I'll watch the episode either late tonight or tomorrow. But even if bad, I won't lose hope just yet because not every show knocks it out of the park for every episode.

Mature

Erased - 5
Oh no! What happened to this show?

I don't really care to throw the baby out with the bath water whenever a sour episode pops up, but this episode really made me want to. I wont retread too much over what others have said, but this episode felt wholly uninspired in it's direction, execution, and nearly every other aspect. The characters felt like they were moving in a way that was rushed and convenient to every beat of the story. Which is to say, almost nothing felt natural. Especially the face palm, on-the-nose symbolism.

Jeez.

It's not bad by any stretch of imagination. It just isn't as great as the other 4.
I've enjoyed every episode up until this point. I thought 5 was decidedly poor.

Oshiete! Galko-chan
Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!
Koukaku no Pandora
Schwarzesmarken

are the best shows airing.

Everyone argue about them instead!

Mailbox

Morning animegaf. I heard anime died. Confirm/deny.

Just people overreacting to a sub-par episode of an anime that has otherwise had great episodes.

Though I will admit this weeks episode of Erased has been the least interesting and most ham fisted. Nothing i'd call bad though :/

You are missing Oji-san to Marshmallow.

I caught up after not watching it for a couple of a weeks.

Holy hell episode 4 was lame. Episode 5 puts things back on track..

Clov

My BD of Night on the Galactic Railroad arrived today! I haven't watched the BD yet, but a few things I've noticed is that the packaging is better than previous Discotek releases. Like their Castle of Cagliostro release, it has a slipcase and a double sided cover. The case itself is nicer than their Castle of Cagliostro release though. It's a standard case, rather than those awful ones with the side latches. I wonder if this will be standard for Discotek from now on?

Narag

My BD of Night on the Galactic Railroad arrived today! I haven't watched the BD yet, but a few things I've noticed is that the packaging is better than previous Discotek releases. Like their Castle of Cagliostro release, it has a slipcase and a double sided cover. The case itself is nicer than their Castle of Cagliostro release though. It's a standard case, rather than those awful ones with the side latches. I wonder if this will be standard for Discotek from now on?

Mine arrived too! Might just be a prestige release sort of thing. Cobra was as barebones as could be but I was fine with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom