• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's really easy to not swear online. In fact last year I'm pretty sure I swore a grand total of zero times online. (Off line a totally different story)
Though I do suppose America does consider terms like 'damn', hell', 'communism' etc as swears so it might be a little harder.

Erased 5
I'm wondering if the opening episodes will remain the peak of the show because I can't say I really cared for this episode.
Returning to the fugitive angle from the end of the opening episode was a real bummer.

Yeah I wasn't particularly fond of this episode either

Jex

My major problem with this week's episode of Erased is that it ditched everything I cared about and turned into a cheap, rushed, and predictable thriller.

I'm stuck at work right now, anxiously waiting for the time when I can watch Erased. I feel like an addict going through withdrawals.

I took a look into the "Moeblob vs Realistic" thread and saw that my.. favorite.. GAF poster was over there causing a rumpus. Had to bail out lest I get another warning.

Erased 05

Yeah the only weakness of this show is people making goofy evil faces. It's so dumb. Well, I lied, that isn't the only weakness. That and
reverting back to episode 1's ending, which was also dumb. I'm not a fan of reverting back to this drama because I am not a fan of the way the drama was set up in the first place. The series acts like MC wouldn't be cleared of all charges in 5 minutes... but I guess its necessary to set up the Butterfly Effect

So, the weakest episode by far, but not enough to make me worry. The chocolate bar thing made me shake my head. Seriously? This went from a down-low drama to a cheap TV thriller at the speed of sound.

Ojisan and Marshmallow 05

This show is still the best

Qurupeke

My major problem with this week's episode of Erased is that it ditched everything I cared about and turned into a cheap, rushed, and predictable thriller.

While I can't disagree on it being worse than the previous episodes, I think it's far from "It sucks". The first four episodes were the calm before the storm, obviously. It was apparent that it wouldn't stay on this. Even if
Hinazuki didn't die
, they'd have to change the show. How would he be able to find and confront the killer if all he did by now was passing his time with Hinazuki as a child? He actually reflects on that, in this episode.

But yeah, it seems to rely a lot on some specific cliches on mystery shows. You have intense music, the cliffhanger endings, shadow on faces and it has added the evil red eyes on it too. They seem really forced and the show would be much better without all of them. Still, I found the episode quite enjoyable for its own reasons. I don't have a problem with how it's going, it's really good.

ibyea

Banned
Erased 05

Yeah the only weakness of this show is people making goofy evil faces. It's so dumb. Well, I lied, that isn't the only weakness. That and
reverting back to episode 1's ending, which was also dumb. I'm not a fan of reverting back to this drama because I am not a fan of the way the drama was set up in the first place. The series acts like MC wouldn't be cleared of all charges in 5 minutes... but I guess its necessary to set up the Butterfly Effect

So, the weakest episode by far, but not enough to make me worry. The chocolate bar thing made me shake my head. Seriously? This went from a down-low drama to a cheap TV thriller at the speed of sound.

Haha, I didn't mention it, but the chocolate thing was silly.

pbayne

Is the implication good or bad here? I dunno, anyways

Erased 5

I don't think it was meant but jeez I got some huge laughs from this episode.

Holy shit how on the nose was the
picture of the Last Supper before Satoru was betrayed
Pizza manager's creeper face. And Anri decking him.
Hinazuki's mom becoming almost super-villain level of evil.

First kind of wobbly episode for me. Just wasn't feeling it.

Dragon Ball Z: Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans

maxresdefault.jpg

How did your little machine do that 30 years later BTW?

So a little backstory about this little OVA. It started out as a Famicom game back in 1993 before being turned into a 60 minute OVA a couple months later only for that to then be reworked as a launch title to Bandai's Playdia in 1994. 16 years later it was made into a 30 minute OVA for Raging Blast 2.

Sounds uninteresting? Well guess what, the OVA itself is even less intriguing than the development behind it. It's completely dull and lifeless, there are no stakes and things just kinda happen for the sake of the story. The idea of a Tuffle exacting vengeance on the Sayian's for wiping out their race could have been interesting (thank you, Dragon Ball Multiverse) but it's just fluff here and is insubstantial. Like Hatyiyack or whatever his name is the OVA is devoid of personality and probably fits right in the bottom three of DBZ flims/OVA's I've seen so far.

Exalted

Erased 5

Hmm, guess i was right in my earlier predictions.
And people told me, there is now way any of the 2 MC will die. And yes, i know he will just retry and save her later. There was never doubt about that. But still he failed and she died, which i was implying before could happen, and that it would be sad if that hapened.

ibyea

Banned

Eh, sometimes there is no other way around predictable stuff in fiction, and a lot of it works even if predictable. That said though I think it's the show's weakest episode as it tried to go into the thriller route, but him being a fugitive did not add an ounce of tension. And some of the things they tried fell flat. The ending worked though, even if predictable.

TUSR

Banned
The lack of subtlety was a weak point for Erased this episode.

Close up shot of "The Last Supper" works much less than having it appear in the background during the scene.

ibyea

Banned
The lack of subtlety was a weak point for Erased this episode.

Close up shot of "The Last Supper" works much less than having it appear in the background during the scene.

Lol how the hell did I not notice the in your face Last Supper symbolism. I was like, why did the camera turn to the Last Supper? That was random.

I'm stuck at work right now, anxiously waiting for the time when I can watch Erased. I feel like an addict going through withdrawals.

I took a look into the "Moeblob vs Realistic" thread and saw that my.. favorite.. GAF poster was over there causing a rumpus. Had to bail out lest I get another warning.

I know exactly who you're talking about. I agree with the side they're on like a good 66% of the time but they're so mindblastingly insufferable that I wish they weren't. It's why all my posts are jokes or random asides because they in no way want to engage, just passive aggressively make snide remarks and avoid salient posts.

I wish people would recognize this and stop responding to them so they just rage impotently

Qurupeke

Erased 05

Ojisan and Marshmallow 05

This show is still the best

I found it weird someone new here posted about Marshmallow, but then I looked at the nickname. RIP Godot.

I wish people would recognize this and stop responding to them so they just rage impotently

It wouldn't be an issue worth pointing out if their presence did anything but devolve any thread they touch into a passive aggressive mess. :/ But enough of that.

One of my friends sent me a copy of Wings of Honneamise, so now I don't have an excuse to keep pushing it further and further back on my watchlist.

Erased 5

I think the biggest mistake this show has is that they just showed us
that the future really did change. Now I'm not feeling the drama or tenseness of the situation anymore since it seems like he will just be able to fix everything by going back to the past one or more times. I was hoping it would turn out that he ended up repeating his actions from his real childhood, but he just forgot he tried to save Hinazuki before. I mean like, he fell in love with her, witnessed the abuse, and tried to save her for real, but he forgot about all that from the trauma of her dying. His mom did say that they tried their best to make him forget everything from his childhood, so I thought this was a viable theory.
Woulda been a cool twist. Hoping this show takes another turn to bring back the feel.

Cornbread78

Koyomimonogatari ONA#3
Snail girl being snail girl (that foot to the pervert Araragi's face to prevent his molestation was classic) and Neko girl being Neko girl. To put it plainly Hanakowa just proving once again, how much of an idiot Araragi is with simple stuff.

Koyomimonogatari ONA#4
Yes, a nice feature short with Senjouhara and Kanbaru. Kanbaru wants to be his sex slave soooo bad and he has to fight her off at every pass. Senjou's DIE, DIE, DIE, DIE was great stuff. You have to love that Yandere/Tsundere and smarta$$ attitude of hers.

Exalted

Marshmallow 05

Was fun, better episode than last week.

I think i've become quite fond of this short 2-8 min comedy shows over the course of the last year. I used to ignore them in the past , but they actually work quite well for comedies. There were a lot of good ones last year. Also they don't take much time or require much investment.

Jex

[Erased] - 5

I cant decide which piece of symbolism more egregious.

This terribly clumsy shot of the Last Supper:

CaZNhhZWwAAyHKv.jpg

Which the director didn't even trust the audience to get on their own - he had to specifically insert a cut directly to the painting just in case you didn't get it. This cut served no purpose other than to focus on the painting.

Or this ridiculous shot of crows VICIOUSLY ripping a trash bag to pieces (as if they were eating Kayo's corpse!):

CaZPQs2WwAE9oJ9.jpg

Not only is this shot silly on it's own, it doesn't even make sense in the logic of the show. We see Kayo's mother put the rubbish bag outside and then about 10 seconds later a flock of crows teleports in and starts immediately ripping it up? Preposterous.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I know that's what it was about I just thought the execution was butt. All of it.
Well, I can only speak to the ending because that's what I remember, but I liked the that there wasn't any sign of what happens after Jormungand because the show itself serves as what can happen in a world without war through what happens to the members of her team. They all basically join with similar motives to her anyway.

[Erased] - 5

I cant decide which piece of symbolism more egregious.

This terribly clumsy shot of the Last Supper:

CaZNhhZWwAAyHKv.jpg

- which the director didn't even trust the audience to get on their own - he had to specifically insert a cut directly to the painting just in case you didn't get it.

Or this ridiculous shot of crows VICIOUSLY ripping a trash bag to pieces (as if they were eating Kayo's corpse!):

CaZPQs2WwAE9oJ9.jpg

Not only is this shot silly on it's own, it doesn't even make sense in the logic of the show. We see Kayo's mother put the rubbish bag outside and then about 10 seconds later a flock of crows teleports in and starts immediately ripping it up? Preposterous.

I wonder if that was in the manga and they just adapted it as is.

You cut deep, sir! I was just writing as I felt!

That's fine; I don't doubt your sincerity. But in retrospect, I see it as evidence of your decline. Over the past year you've made statements that are flat-out ignorant (that the Pokemon series has never had good animation) or highly dubious (that Concrete Revolutio is unambitious superhero fluff), to the point where I fear I can no longer respect your critical faculties.

JulianImp

I guess I'll stop checking this thread out on Wednesdays until I've watched that day's episode of Erased, since I'm getting paranoid around all these untagged images and text that might turn out to be spoilers.

Jex

That's fine; I don't doubt your sincerity. But in retrospect, I see it as evidence of your decline. Over the past year you've made statements that are flat-out ignorant (that the Pokemon series has never had good animation) or highly dubious (that Concrete Revolutio is unambitious superhero fluff), to the point where I fear I can no longer respect your critical faculties.
I think that's a very reasonable conclusion to reach.

I've completely reorganised my life and, as a result of this I admit that I've spent very little time watching anime (or anything, really) in the last six months or so. I only had time to watch Concrete Revolutio because it was the Christmas holiday and I ended up blasting through it in a couple of days during. As a result, you can see that I didn't really have anything to say regarding the show - I just had some very surface reactions to convey.

I don't really have the time to even consider writing anything substantial about the shows I am watching. It takes a considerable amount of time to even write a half-decent episode recap and at the moment I don't even find myself with the 30 seconds it takes to check ANN.

phaze

There's Jojo Part 4 and a Garo movie in spring. Not yet my friend, not yet!

So doomed it is huh.

Dimension W 04

This was yet another good episode, even despite the fact that the show might be turning into just into what I dreaded it might, a series of more or less standalone stories about different "Numbers". I'm glad that at least they're following the DtB formula and giving at least 2 episodes to a case.

Rakugo
I think this is the first time I thought the story could have moved faster. What I assume to be a love interest was introduced at the end of the last episode but here took the spotlight and the screentime. only in the second half. I really doubt we needed to spend so much time on the new situation of the two leads and yet another elongated Rakugo performance to get the difference in skill between them.

Trapeze 05
The setup for this episode's case was a bit of fresh air for the usual formula. lol at the wig hijinks.

Kare Kano 12-13
I liked this drama more than the previous ones cause for once, it felt somewhat believable and the resolution to it didn't consist of handwaving the problem in the very last two minutes of the episode.

Kare Kano 14-15
Two recap eps ? Who thought this was a good idea ?

Garo 3-5
Uhhh, I'm trying but while slightly better than I remember, this show is still aggressively mediocre. It doesn't help that I can't bring myself to care about either of 3 leads and hate all those armor designs and CG.

Kono Subarashii something something 01

Yup, still allergic to everything MMORPG.
Erased 05

I'd agree that this was a stepdown, especially from episode 3 but thought it was still good enough. Likewise, Satoru's decision to make a run for it is still silly.

e_i

So Funimation's Wednesday night dub lineup is Dagashi Kashi, AssClass season 2, and Grimgar.

Oh, right, the new lineup starts next week, on the tenth.

Dagashi Kashi dub

Looks like Erased is on track to sell double what its manga sales were before the anime, in case you wondered if manga adaptation boosts are real

Just T

Erased: 5

Well it was obvious what happened but didn’t make the beginning any less sad, then seeing the bag get thrown out. I was wondering for a while when they were going to jump back to the present and here we go. When Satoru said he had a fight with his mother I was thinking why couldn’t he have just said anything else lol but I suppose nothing would of helped anyway. Good to see Airi again, she was pretty helpful this episode. What a punch too. Hopefully Satoru is still around to help her. Whoever the culprit is really has a focus on Satoru.
Also imagine a chocolate bar leading to your divorce and losing everything. I’m going to need an oompa loompa song about that one.

Myriad Colors Phantom World: 5

Well it was better than the last episode and it still looked nice. They still really need to cut those chants shorter or skip them, especially Koito once again, just show hers having an effect, leave the sound out. Also Reina didn’t even know about her healing powers in episode 2, now she can use it like that? Right….. Also I detest the dancing in the ED.

Ojisan and Marshmallow:5

Wakabayashi is a trip lol. Hige isn’t going to realize her intentions in any of the remaining episodes is he?

Erased 05

This girl has guts
punching the manager in the face LOL.
Holy crap at this episode though. Show continues to be good. Wonder where it is going to go from here. Is he gonna go
back again because of Airi's possible death?

Myriad Colors Phantom World: 5

Well it was better than the last episode and it still looked nice. They still really need to cut those chants shorter or skip them, especially Koito once again, just show hers having an effect, leave the sound out. Also Reina didn’t even know about her healing powers in episode 2, now she can use it like that? Right….. Also I detest the dancing in the ED.

The chants are only there for "dramatic" effect really, and they are more annoying than anything. The red haired girl goes from either saying them every two seconds, to never saying it and still using her powers. Just cut it out altogether and be done with it lol.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Garo 3-5
Uhhh, I'm trying but while slightly better than I remember, this show is still aggressively mediocre. It doesn't help that I can't bring myself to care about either of 3 leads and hate all those armor designs and CG.

It's a very slow build up, but 13 onwards is when the show actually gets really good (which is a tough sell for a lot of people but I personally believe it's worth it). Animation quality and fight choreography improves as well.

Just T

The chants are only there for "dramatic" effect really, and they are more annoying than anything. The red haired girl goes from either saying them every two seconds, to never saying it and still using her powers. Just cut it out altogether and be done with it lol.
Agreed, I wouldn't miss them at all lol.

e_i

Sweetness and Lightning might be getting an anime adaptation.

Summary:

Having lost his wife, math teacher Kouhei Inuzuka is doing his best to raise his young daughter Tsumugi as a single father. He's pretty bad at cooking and doesn't have a huge appetite to begin with, but chance brings his little family and one of his students, Kotori Iida, together for homemade adventures. With those three cooks in the kitchen, it's no wonder this dinner table drama is so delicious.

Erased - 05

Gotta agree with Jexhius sadly. This episode was a dud :/

Some of the reactions this episode felt overly dramatic.
Satoru's screaming when he discovered that the mother tossed away the mittens felt a bit out of place. I understand that he has grown closer to Hinazuki and has been 'trapped' in the past for some weeks but, he still very much anticipated her death and by then it had become readily apparent. I actually would've liked him to have a bit of a breakdown but more with his older voice narrating. This scream just didn't feel right to me. Airi punching the manager also felt too over the top.

The time traveling mechanics and how they pertain to Satoru's characterization bother me more and more.
Despite not really knowing how exactly all this works (evident in him coming to the conclusion that his actions did actually affect s.th.) he doesn't seem to care about the specifics. He's just nonchalantly stating "If I can go back there one more time, I can save Hinazuki!" but for all we know, he only had this one chance. I mean what exactly triggers these 'revivals' to begin with and what conditions lead to what kind of revival scenario? If Satoru doesn't know that much himself, which seems to be the case, I want him to be more worried about these honestly insane phenomena. Like, it never seemed to be a question that he'd return back to this time, but it should've been. If I'm not mistaken Satoru mentioned that these revivals were mostly a matter of minutes, right? And the one we got early in ep1 played out, he didn't just cut back or anything. How did that feel for him anyways, to change back to his future self? Did it happen when he was asleep or what?

Also my least favorite sequence this episode was the talk the pizza manager and this 'mysterious' person whose face was hidden in the shots. Just blergh. So much on the nose directing this episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom