• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Erased discussion reminds me of what I read about the initial reactions to TTGL episode 4.

That was a terrible episode in my favourite anime of all time.

Clov

Mine arrived too! Might just be a prestige release sort of thing. Cobra was as barebones as could be but I was fine with that.

For whatever reason, they clearly went the extra mile with this one. They even had a new English commentary recorded, though I don't know if I'll give it a listen. I wonder how nice their release of Jigen Daisuke's Gravestone will be? That comes out pretty soon.

Narag

For whatever reason, they clearly went the extra mile with this one. They even had a new English commentary recorded, though I don't know if I'll give it a listen. I wonder how nice their release of Jigen Daisuke's Gravestone will be? That comes out pretty soon.

They've been really good about sharing this stuff on their facebook page recently.

e7LaXHC.jpg

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Phantasy Star Online 2 - 05

Cross post from the PSO2 OT:
Call me stupid, but I was really hoping that the PSO2 anime would pick up this week, since they started hinting at the connection between the real world and the game last week.

Well, that didn't happen and we got another episode full of typical anime tropes (and it will be the obligatory onsen episode next week...) with literally 2-3 minutes in the game world.

If this was a 60+ episode series or even a 24 one, I would be much more forgiving - I get it, you need time to establish the setting, make us care about the characters etc. But in a (I assume) one cour anime? Using almost half of the episode for something completely unrelated to why people want to watch it in the first place? A really odd choice.

I'll keep watching, but seriously, at this point it makes me want to play the game less. Mainly because how much I was expecting to flesh out the in-game Episode 4 story.

Clov

They've been really good about sharing this stuff on their facebook page recently.

e7LaXHC.jpg

Ah, so this one's getting a slipcover and reversible cover as well! I'm glad to see that they're making an effort to improve their packaging, since that was the only complaint I've had about my Discotek BDs so far.

Things that I did like about the new Erased episode:

• We finally figured out what the book was from episode 1
  • More parallels between Airi and Kayo (Baka nano? And the similar appearance.)
  • Despite how ham-fisted the Last Supper cut is, the comparison between Jesus and Satoru's revival is interesting, considering this is all from Japan
  • Airi is really cool. A strong, intelligent female character who hopefully won't be killed for the sake of shock.

This seems overly dramatic.

It is.

I haven't heard particular bad opinions from people who have read the source material. Maybe this is the dividing point of 'enjoyable anime' and 'amazing anime' though. But too early to call if there's only 1 bad episode so far.

Erased isn't an issue of "this episode is bad and kind of an outlier". There is honestly no salvation from the place the story has moved to, and what the show has fully revealed itself to be.

I'm going to at least wait it out before declaring it a lost cause, even though I'm not really fond of where this episode went.

duckroll

Studio Colorido Shorts - Fumiko's Confession

It's pretty easy to see that Paulette's Chair was an expansion of the idea in this short. Basically a girl confesses to a boy, but he rejects her because they're kids and he wants to focus on baseball, she goes bananas and goes on a fantastical dash all around town. Cute. Studio Colorido handles 3D backgrounds really well, especially the way they look when the camera is in constant motion. Really nice shading too. Considering how loose the character animation was, I was not surprised to see at the end that Tatsuro Kawano handled the 2D character animation. It has a similar digital style look to it compared to his work on Naruto and Yozakura.

Looking forward to checking out the rest of their shorts soon. Especially Takashi Nakamura's Shashinkan.

Cornbread78

Evangelion ep.23-24
I guess I was right about Rei, but it still doesn't make sense how they did it. Asuka is as good as done now and the world's a mess. But hey, at least they killed
the last Angel, kid #5
what was up with that? How do you take
human form and not set off the Angel sensors until that moment?
what was up with that? Some pure craziness goes on with this show..

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Things that I did like about the new Erased episode:

• We finally figured out what the book was from episode 1
  • More parallels between Airi and Kayo (Baka nano? And the similar appearance.)
Neither of these are new pieces of information.

• Despite how ham-fisted the Last Supper cut is, the comparison between Jesus and Satoru's revival is interesting, considering this is all from Japan
If you find this part of Erased appealing I would strongly recommend you check out IItou's other work about Jesus Christ: Sword Art Online. :)

Also, Airi is so cool and intelligent that she didn't notice
her house was on fire, and passed out inside the burning house to really show off what a strong female character she is.
If you are expecting nothing to happen to her at any point in the series you should watch the opening a few more times.

Neither of these are new pieces of information.

If you find this part of Erased appealing I would strongly recommend you check out IItou's other work about Jesus Christ: Sword Art Online. :)

Also, Airi is so cool and intelligent that she didn't notice
her house was on fire, and passed out inside the burning house to really show off what a strong female character she is.
If you are expecting nothing to happen to her at any point in the series you should watch the opening a few more times.

I don't think we ever knew what book he was reading? Not in the anime, at least. "More" implies exactly what it says - meaning that they were there before and more was added on to imply it is an intentional act from the narrative.

Plenty of people don't notice their houses are on fire. That's why smoke detectors were invented. I do expect something to happen to her, otherwise I wouldn't have expressed my hope otherwise. :l

Quasar

Phantasy Star Online 2 - 05

Cross post from the PSO2 OT:
Call me stupid, but I was really hoping that the PSO2 anime would pick up this week, since they started hinting at the connection between the real world and the game last week.

Well, that didn't happen and we got another episode full of typical anime tropes (and it will be the obligatory onsen episode next week...) with literally 2-3 minutes in the game world.

Its funny. I have basically no interest in the actual game, I'm more interested in the social stuff and how the game intersects with real life. Which I guess is not what sega wants I assume they want to sell the game with it.

dimb

I don't think we ever knew what book he was reading? Not in the anime, at least
They tell you in the first episode. The new piece of information is that the date changed. The show likes to obfuscate lots of things though, so there's no elaboration on whether Jun is still in the book.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Its funny. I have basically no interest in the actual game, I'm more interested in the social stuff and how the game intersects with real life. Which I guess is not what sega wants I assume they want to sell the game with it.
I wouldn't mind (as much) if the real world part wasn't the most generic thing ever with barely any redeeming values.

They tell you in the first episode. The new piece of information is that the date changed. The show likes to obfuscate lots of things though, so there's no elaboration on whether Jun is still in the book.

Ah, I missed that somehow. I only saw him set it down as he left and then Airi notices it.

tumblr_o21c7awZb91r3rdh2o1_540.gif

Also, this part was pretty fantastic.

Crocodile

How is that dumb moe thread actually still going?

Why is it still going?

It's a place for nerd on nerd crimes. You'very watched Welcome to NHK, right? The gamers are the girl..

Haven't you heard? All anime is trash because nobody else in the world makes cute things.

Geek hierarchy.

Boy that thread about anime women turned real nasty real quick. Ive read so many conflicting descriptions of "moe" i have no idea what it means anymore.

So that thread went exactly where I thought it would huh? Glad I never bothered to walk in. Could see tons of the usual suspects were posting in there. I'm sure there is some good actual discussion in there but I don't want to swim through post after post of unironic stupidity to find it :/

dimb

Ah, I missed that somehow. I only saw him set it down as he left and then Airi notices it.

Also, this part was pretty fantastic.
Hitting someone like this almost assuredly breaks their nose...and in this case the guy also hits his head against concrete. He needs immediate medical attention. Maybe Airi is actually the murderer with these kinds of violent tendencies, all because some guy wants to report a loose murder suspect to the police.

Mature

The boss character may have been my least favorite part of that episode. Felt like a really out of place caricature in a series that's made a modest attempt to form well rounded characters.

The boss character may have been my least favorite part of that episode. Felt like a really out of place caricature in a series that's made a modest attempt to form well rounded characters.

Same. The entire scene with Airi punching him just made me go "Wow, these aren't real people."

The show was pretty good about it before.

Hitting someone like this almost assuredly breaks their nose...and in this case the guy also hits his head against concrete. He needs immediate medical attention. Maybe Airi is actually the murderer with these kinds of violent tendencies, all because some guy wants to report a loose murder suspect to the police.

I mean, barring the fact that the manager pretended that he was on their side...

Same. The entire scene with Airi punching him just made me go "Wow, these aren't real people."

The show was pretty good about it before.

She's a teenager. One of my girlfriends in high school punched a guy for doing that thing where you run in between two people holding hands. The manager creeping around was pretty ridiculous though. I'm not sure how that one even works out considering he just drove off and went straight to her house... um.. I mean, there were a lot of things wrong with the episode - especially the stupid ending - but not every tiny detail was wrong. You people are going crazy.

Erased 2 + 3

tumblr_o1bipqrgNp1u8kenho1_540.gif

PROTECT HER DAMNIT

DONT LET ANYTHING HAPPEN TO HER

These last two episodes have been amazing.
Its fun watching an adult inside a kids body. Its really cute when this little ass kid as these angry adult eyes.

I loved the music in the beginning of episode 3 and then I remembered the goddess Yuki Kajiura worked on the OST. Just fantastic.

Episode 3 went from heartbreaking to heart warming without feeling abrupt. Direction has been pretty great so far. I really hate Kayo's parents and I wonder if they will ever discuss them and their motivations for being such pieces of trash.

Erased 4

NO

FUCK YOU

NOOO

Jarmel

Banned
I mean, would you expect someone to confront a suspected murderer in an aggressive manner?

The whole thing is idiotic. Why the fuck would you bother confronting a suspected murderer anyway and doing stupid stuff like inviting him into your house?

This is atrocious writing.

I mean, would you expect someone to confront a suspected murderer in an aggressive manner?

Never mind, I read your question wrong.

The manager was really dumb. Completely, entirely poorly written. I'm not arguing there. From inviting the guy to his house - unless the police instructed him to? - to sneaking over to Airi's place - even if he thought she was in danger - was really, really bad.

The whole thing is idiotic. Why the fuck would you bother confronting a suspected murderer anyway and doing stupid stuff like inviting him into your house?

This is atrocious writing.

And the way he escapes afterwards just to immediately encounter Airi literally behind the wall...whose justification for helping him also happens to be so...anime.

Coming back to the present time reminded me that Airi's interest in Satoru seemed questionable to begin with and reeked of merely setting up events later down the line.

*edited some stuff

Mature

She's a teenager. One of my girlfriends in high school punched a guy for doing that thing where you run in between two people holding hands. The manager creeping around was pretty ridiculous though. I'm not sure how that one even works out considering he just drove off and went straight to her house... um.. I mean, there were a lot of things wrong with the episode - especially the stupid ending - but not every tiny detail was wrong. You people are going crazy.
It's just a response to wasted potential. Things get thrown under the microscope as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom