• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I'm an old man on my death bed, people getting upset at episodes 25+26 and EoE will still make me smile.

And then my heart will go out when I think of 3.33.

Erased would be cool if satoru never skipped time again after the first one.

Agreed. I think I'm getting sick of the travel back in time to fix it and you are stuck in a loop trick

The movie isn't more of nothing. It actually gives you some answers and properly continues from episode 24.

Also:

MNd5OGa.jpg

But why you gotta take a shot at Lucky Star?

Clov

That was ultimate shit tier. I can't even believe what I was even watching a shit ton of nothing. Ultimate shit tier ending, now I know why it was a classic. What is the point watching the movie if it is more of nothing. The writer was on one hell of a trip when he came up with that.

I didn't think you'd hate the ending that much, wow! I had a feeling you wouldn't like it based off what I've seen you enjoy, but I didn't think it would be to this extent. Anyway, it's not a satisfying conclusion to the story, true. Still, I do feel it gives you a nice conclusion to Shinji's character arc, with him coming to accept himself and those around him. It's very abstract, for sure, but I just enjoy stuff like that personally.

End of Evangelion provides a better, more cohesive conclusion to the story. I do wonder if you'll actually enjoy certain parts of it though?

I hope the final Evangelion movie comes out before I die so that its ending can let me down one last time.

If it comes out after you die, you can just have it played as they lower your coffin into the ground. That way even after death, it will let you down.

e_i

Konasuba episode 4

Wow, even the villains are fucking morons. It got serious at the end, but
Aqua just lifted the death curse and everybody was happy.

KazenY2J

Erased 05:
Chocolate bars ruin lives.

But seriously, I thought this episode wasn't as bad as others here make it to be; just not as great as the others.

duckroll

Trapeze (空中ブランコ [Mid-air Balanço]) aka Welcome to Irabu's Office - Episode 11 (End)

Well that's that. It was a great ride while it lasted. I would have liked for there to be more episodes though, it feels like we could have had more stories. The final episode was pretty strange. I don't think I really "got" all of it. Was it suggesting that mental illness in individuals could also be symptomatic of larger problems in slices of society and personal spaces? That every patient could be a canary in a way, exhibiting early signs of a poison parts of our world? Or was it just that his son in particular was a consequence of how he treats his family, and is a warning sign that it was breaking down? Both maybe? Some of the imagery felt 2deep4me, but I liked the slow burn nature of the finale.

Again, the biggest surprise is the little bits of insight we get into Irabu himself. I didn't think about it before, but it seems he does sort of own the entire hospital he's in, since it has his name on it, and he's the vice chairman. For a weirdo with maturity problems, he seems to really be a made man. I guess part of it is to show that he does what he does because he really cares about helping people, even though he can't help his trolling tendencies?

Cool show. I'm also glad they didn't go for a big dramatic sort of finale where everything gets tied together and all the characters meet in the circus for the performance or whatever. That would have been cheap. Ending on a "no one is perfect" note though? That -is- perfect for this show.

ibyea

Banned
Evangelion ep.25-END
WTF did I just watch and what did any of it even fucking mean? There was no ending here, just a mental monolog about nothing. No answers, no discoveries, no conclusion only increased confusion on what any of it even meant. What a waste. Talk about bad episodes, this was 100,000,000,000 X worse than anything seen in Erased today.

Ok, now tell me how brilliant and amazing this was supposed to be because obviously I missed the boat somewhere...

It wasn't brilliant or amazing. But some people have different perspectives and in that sort of way, at the very least it was worth it to see whether you would get something out of it. You are like me, I hated it.

Now, go watch the true ending of the show, End of Evangelion.

That was ultimate shit tier. I can't even believe what I was even watching a shit ton of nothing. Ultimate shit tier ending, now I know why it was a classic. What is the point watching the movie if it is more of nothing. The writer was on one hell of a trip when he came up with that.

tumblr_n9krlooNQI1qmencro4_500.gif

tumblr_n9krlooNQI1qmencro5_500.gif

Cornbread78

I didn't think you'd hate the ending that much, wow! I had a feeling you wouldn't like it based off what I've seen you enjoy, but I didn't think it would be to this extent. Anyway, it's not a satisfying conclusion to the story, true. Still, I do feel it gives you a nice conclusion to Shinji's character arc, with him coming to accept himself and those around him. It's very abstract, for sure, but I just enjoy stuff like that personally.

End of Evangelion provides a better, more cohesive conclusion to the story. I do wonder if you'll actually enjoy certain parts of it though?.

I understood what Shinji's mind was saying but it answered absolutely nothing about what the Angels even were, what they were there for, who lived, who died, or anything else. It was just a non-sensicle monolog of rambling.

I hate you all too, because now I know why my buddy told me to skip the last two episodes, lol. Ya'll said no no no, watch them... You are all evil incarnate, because you just wanted to see me suffer...

Erased 05:
Chocolate bars ruin lives.

But seriously, I thought this episode wasn't as bad as others here make it to be; just not as great as the others.

I've bounced around between thinking it was garbage to good all day. I've finally, after reading all the other opinions, decided that it was still pretty good.

The big offenders are the ending scene, Airi's backstory, and the poorly integrated symbolism.

Everything else makes enough sense for me to be fine with. The direction itself was rough with a lot of the shot density and more clever camera work missing from the series.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I understood what Shinji's mind was saying but it answered absolutely nothing about what the Angels even were, what they were there for, who lived, who died, or anything else. It was just a non-sensicle monolog of rambling.

I hate you all too, because now I know why my buddy told me to skip the last two episodes, lol. Ya'll said no no no, watch them... You are all evil incarnate, because you just wanted to see me suffer...

the last 2 episodes are the best tho

I wouldn't say it was a troll recommendation. The last two episodes legitimately has its defenders.

I don't mind them. They make for interesting companion pieces with EoE.

Clov

Not true! I thought maybe there would be a small chance that you'd enjoy it. I enjoyed them myself, after all. Besides, what's two episodes when you already have a theatrical alternate conclusion to watch? If you're really concerned about the plot related questions, End of Evangelion will answer them.

Mature

I love the last two episodes of NGE.

ibyea

Banned
I've bounced around between thinking it was garbage to good all day. I've finally, after reading all the other opinions, decided that it was still pretty good.

The big offenders are the ending scene, Airi's backstory, and the poorly integrated symbolism.

Everything else makes enough sense for me to be fine with. The direction itself was rough with a lot of the shot density and more clever camera work missing from the series.

It's not complete garbage but at the same time I hate seeing a show with such promise hang around mediocrity.

you're right duckroll, sumimasen! (added spoilertags)

Speaking of alibis: Satoru just finished work and came back immediately to his home where he gets caught 'red handed' a minute or two later. At least 4 of his co-workers saw him saying his goodbyes and Airi and the manager where two of them. He even has some small talk with Airi concerning his mother before he goes. Satoru doesn't act suspiciously at that point either. On top of that Airi's gotten to know his mother and the kind of relationship he has with her in the last couple days.

So, Airi could put up a lot of reasonable doubt that Satoru went straight home and murdered his mother. Of course Satoru also didn't have to run and frame himself like that to begin with but yeh, in theory if the police asked his co-workers (highly likely given that he had just returned from work before supposedly committing the crime) his chances would've been good.

By the way, Airi getting to know Satoru and his mother a bit more closely and her having a trusting nature or s.th. would've been perfectly fine as reasoning for me. That would've been naive of her still, but that's fine from a writing standpoint. So it upsets me that we get this hamfisted backstory concerning her father instead...

duckroll

What's the point of having an Erased OT if people just want to keep talking about the show in here without tags or anything? Might as well close all anime threads down because it was all a mistake.

Aki-at

Assassination Classroom S2 - 5

Ikemen da! Another good episode that gives a few good laughs in between and shows off how mental
Principle Asano
is.

It's not complete garbage but at the same time I hate seeing a show with such promise hang around mediocrity.

Oh yeah, it definitely took a hit, don't get me wrong. Erased was very much an animated television series and not so much of an anime in terms of style. With this episode, we've crossed back into anime land and unless there is a substantial reason for that then I doubt the series will be anything more than "very good" when before it had the chance to really be something special. Episode 2 of this show was as close to a perfect episode as I have ever seen, so I'm still holding on to a little hope. If Episode 6 ends up being around the same quality, or worse (shiver), then I imagine I will worry more and be able to justify things less.

ibyea

Banned
Oh yeah, it definitely took a hit, don't get me wrong. Erased was very much an animated television series and not so much of an anime in terms of style. With this episode, we've crossed back into anime land and unless there is a substantial reason for that then I doubt the series will be anything more than "very good" when before it had the chance to really be something special. Episode 2 of this show was as close to a perfect episode as I have ever seen, so I'm still holding on to a little hope. If Episode 6 ends up being around the same quality, or worse (shiver), then I imagine I will worry more and be able to justify things less.

Yeah I hope it was a momentary lapse.

Cornbread78

I think some of us here consume anime in a much more casual way than others.

Yeah, this is my problem at times as wel. I tend to watch more casually than others and not take things too literally or be to critical. I just let it flow. Well, except for non-endings on interesting stuff I spent time watching, lol.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So the Love Live movie screened in Canada tonight and I had a couple of observations about anime in general.

1) Anime companies really need to get global licenses for any English songs they use. It's weird that the global screening of the film removes As Time Goes By entirely and replaces it with generic humming. Either take the global market seriously, or don't bother... either way, it just makes the movie feel half-assed if you know that there was a song that they removed due to being cheap.

2) I'm sure there are staff whores who know all the people who work on CG in anime, but is there like only one walk animation routine used in Japan? I didn't notice it until I watched it on the big screen, but everyone in the background has the same robotic walking animation that has appeared in things like Saekano and whatnot. It's just funny that animators can't find a way to make that look better by at least varying the walk cycles between the extras in the scene so they don't all walk the same way at exactly the same time.

As for the movie itself, I'm convinced of the joke theory that the older woman Honoka meets is actually her older self from the future. It's why she leaves her mic, because she knows that's the only way to preserve the timeline.

Also, while I still think the movie is kind of unnecessary inasmuch as the final conflict doesn't make much sense in the context of the second season, I kind of understand what they were going for in terms of muse sacrificing themselves for the Love Live brand and the whole school idol ethos. I kind of wish they either did an "interquel" (like K-On) or just a sequel of them in the near future, because then they didn't have to step all over the show's ending, but oh well.

Mature

2) I'm sure there are staff whores who know all the people who work on CG in anime, but is there like only one walk animation routine used in Japan? I didn't notice it until I watched it on the big screen, but everyone in the background has the same robotic walking animation that has appeared in things like Saekano and whatnot. It's just funny that animators can't find a way to make that look better by at least varying the walk cycles between the extras in the scene so they don't all walk the same way at exactly the same time.
I've wondered this myself. Maybe the variation would draw a lot more attention to it, which I guess might be counter intuitive.

Hastati

Mononoke 1

Holy cow, this is amazing. Taken already by the first episode. I absolutely love the composition of the stills, reminds me of stuff from earlier eras like Floating Weeds where in many ways its a sequence of beautiful frames more than a "moving picture." Also pleasantly surprised at how spooky it manages to be while being incredibly colorful. Wonderful artistic design of course, but I was most moved by the awesome use of sound to drown out the senses---it feels weirdly "real" and imminent despite being so far removed from realistic representation.

Does anyone know what the best master of this series is? It looks like Crunchyroll offers 1080p, I tried it on Viewster and it was pretty low res.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've wondered this myself. Maybe the variation would draw a lot more attention to it, which I guess might be counter intuitive.
I wonder if there's like one school in Japan that teaches CG animation and everyone who works in anime graduated from that school and only knows that one specific way to animate people walking. lol

I'm sure there's a story behind it... maybe it's an in joke between all CG animators? I dunno. But it seems so obvious that it has to be on purpose. lol

Yeah, this is my problem at times as wel. I tend to watch more casually than others and not take things too literally or be to critical. I just let it flow. Well, except for non-endings on interesting stuff I spent time watching, lol.

I think it makes for an interesting dynamic whenever I am reading impressions. I like to read them from the perspective of both sides. The casuals, being people like me that don't tend to go beyond what's being shown, and those who dig a little deeper. I actually like to read the breakdowns that several posters put up here, even if their overall opinion is the complete opposite of mine.

sonicmj1

you're right duckroll, sumimasen! (added spoilertags)

Speaking of alibis: Satoru just finished work and came back immediately to his home where he gets caught 'red handed' a minute or two later.

I thought this was inaccurate, but it turns out it's true.

That seems like an odd thing to overlook.

I wonder if there's like one school in Japan that teaches CG animation and everyone who works in anime graduated from that school and only knows that one specific way to animate people walking. lol

I'm sure there's a story behind it... maybe it's an in joke between all CG animators? I dunno. But it seems so obvious that it has to be on purpose. lol

Make one animation. Copy-paste to all models. Done. I'm pretty sure there's no deeper meaning beyond that.

Aki-at

Ojisan to Marshmallow - 5

Each successive episodes have gotten less and less laughs from me. Okay that's a lie, episode 4 had no laughs.

So..

This Erased anime...

Is pretty bad!

You could say it should have been...

Erased.

... I'll see myself out.

Lol. Okay that line was good. Actually I did like the relationship between the guy and his wife in the episode. It was far more real and interesting than his yakuza life.

Heh, I love that line and their relationship in general. Honestly, I think the reason this episode sorta feels weaker than the others is that it was probably going for more humorous shit as a bit of a tension release. The only real problem with that is that the show is 1. pretty funny on it's own and 2. as a show about mental illnesses it already walks a fine line between humor and the seriousness the topic deserves. As a result when they played up his yakuza connections mostly for laughs (ha ha, he's a tough guy afraid of sharp things) it didn't work as well as other episodes.

Trapeze (空中ブランコ [Mid-air Balanço]) aka Welcome to Irabu's Office - Episode 11 (End)

Well that's that. It was a great ride while it lasted. I would have liked for there to be more episodes though, it feels like we could have had more stories. The final episode was pretty strange. I don't think I really "got" all of it. Was it suggesting that mental illness in individuals could also be symptomatic of larger problems in slices of society and personal spaces? That every patient could be a canary in a way, exhibiting early signs of a poison parts of our world? Or was it just that his son in particular was a consequence of how he treats his family, and is a warning sign that it was breaking down? Both maybe? Some of the imagery felt 2deep4me, but I liked the slow burn nature of the finale.

Nope. I think you're exactly right, it had dual meanings. One for the more general shit Irabu was talking about and one for the double meaning of his vague words when it comes to the specifics of his colleague's family. That in an environment where people are not accepted for who they are or society at large a person's mental illness can poison them and consume them from within. That people are fragile, infinitely beautiful and without care and love, from ourselves and others, we will die. He talks about listening to the voices of the canaries all around them, that each small change if we really listen will let us know that something is wrong. In regards to his colleague, his focus on himself and his problems was poisoning, crippling and killing his family. You could even draw more from that and say that he was responsible for poisoning his son with his own problems by avoiding and resenting his family. That his son was a small, fledgling thing and that his sickness and refusal to learn to deal with it was poisoning him. I read it both ways, that Irabu was taking about the world at large but the colleague specifically was related to what was going on.

Cool show. I'm also glad they didn't go for a big dramatic sort of finale where everything gets tied together and all the characters meet in the circus for the performance or whatever. That would have been cheap. Ending on a "no one is perfect" note though? That -is- perfect for this show.

I'm not going to lie; when it flashes through all the people he helped, people who didn't find a magical cure and were just trying their best to deal with the hand they were dealt and live with their mental illnesses, and he says "They're heroes" I fucking lost it. I started bawling uncontrollably. I'm even tearing up right now just thinking about it. When the last panel comes up and it's just the black background with "No one is perfect!" across it I couldn't stop. No other anime has affected me that much on a deeply personal level.

I have a long history of mental illness that, to make a long story short, my parents thought I just needed to man up and soldier through and as a result it's pretty much destroyed my entire relationship with them. I watched this with my ex-girlfriend early into our 8 year relationship and she has a very storied history with her father that includes a lot of neglect and abuse. This was such an important series for us and that ending just was exactly what we needed to here; that we're all heroes. That no one is perfect. Shit that nobody had ever said to us before.

This anime sits at the very top of my favorites. I think it is incredible and gorgeous and most importantly actually says something incredibly important. I think as far as anime goes, it sits on the very top tier. I recommend this show to literally any and every anime fan because I love it so much and think it's one of the best that ever came out.

It really is something special.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Make one animation. Copy-paste to all models. Done. I'm pretty sure there's no deeper meaning beyond that.
Yes, but the same animation across the entire industry? Is there 2d animation that's similarly ubiquitous?

Oops. Forgot about this. At least there is still the 13th! And they took out As Time Goes By? That was one of the better parts of it!
Yeah they did. I was confused when it was just humming. lol

So..

This Erased anime...

Is pretty bad!
Did everyone just turn on this show now?

I thought this was inaccurate, but it turns out it's true.

That seems like an odd thing to overlook.

I thought this was evidence of a flaw in the mystery - if the killer has connections in the police
which looks to be the case since only the manager and the police/business man speaking to him knew that there was a connection between Satoru and Airi (not to mention they would have to know her name to text her)
then obviously Satoru is in trouble no matter what. But he can't possibly know that and the audience definitely doesn't. Then again, I could just be overthinking and it could be poor writing. It could also have something to do with the way the police system works in Japan since most people who are suspected of a crime can be held for up to a month even without evidence, but I'm not an expert on Japanese culture. >.>

My friend swears that Satoru is the killer and the text was meant to save Airi somehow. This makes no sense at all and if this actually happens I will give up on anime forever.

Clov

Did everyone just turn on this show now?

Despite the way it stumbled, I haven't. I'm still looking forward to more. Sometimes a good anime will have a bad episode or so, and I've enjoyed 4 out of 5 episodes so far. I'm a bit wary about next week's episode though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom