• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurr

Ah, Glasslip.

I remember that show.

I mean, not watching it. I remember starting at nothing for 13 episodes.

I watched it till the end when it aired.

Made for funny discussions at least (not here).

oh looks like I crossed 1k posts here (5 posts ago)

wonzo

Banned
Studio Colorido Shorts - Shashinkan

Damn. Crying irl now. What a moving piece of art. Aside from the excellent character animation throughout and the great art design, this short is a masterclass in depicting passage of time and emphasizing on emotions without using a single word. It's also a much more "serious" work than most of Takashi Nakamura's usual stuff, but he handles it so damn well. I wish I watched this a little earlier, because there's no question that this would have destroyed everything else on my list of 2015 animated shorts/films.

Easily one of the best shorts ever made and I feel real bad not mentioning it here or on twitter. :(

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I was looking at MAL, and apparently her name is
Raratina Dustiness Ford
(idk if her name is a spoiler, but i doubt it)

Is Darkness actually her name or a translation thing I don't get?
Yes, i think that's spoiler. A minor one though.
she introduce herself as Darkness because she want to hide her identity as a noble

I've tried to start and finish Eureka Seven AO like 3 times.

I can't do it. It's impossible.
Just pretend it never exist. I try to give it a shot, but all i get is utter nonsense.

jonjonaug

Here we go...Urobuchi incoming.

https://twitter.com/TBF_PR/status/695502781034004480

EDIT: Oh wow that logo on the left after some Googling. If this is going where I think it's going then I totally get what Urobuchi meant now in his tweets. As far as I can tell, that's a company that makes wuxia puppet show dramas. That is the perfect mix of exactly a thing that Urobuchi would love to be involved in and something that would confuse newcomers to his work.

Assassination Classroom Episode 27
Time for a nice relaxing epis-
Ansatsu_Kyoushitsu_2nd_Season_05_Large_34.jpg
...or not.

Bit of a middling episode. Not exactly funny or action packed, just a nice diversion.

Just T

Shoujo-tachi wa Kouya wo Mezasu: 5

Wow Andou was pretty terrible this episode. You can’t just alter people’s work like that on your own, demand more from them then at the same time falling behind on your own schedule. Buntarou may have gotten her back after her little walk out but they didn’t show that she really learned a lesson here, which can once again cause another problem down the line. They need to have a better flow of communication. The fishing scene was entertaining though, so there’s that.

jonjonaug

I'm looking up videos of what I think is the work of the puppet show company and this actually looks pretty dang cool. I'm fine if this really turns out to be "Urobuchi writes a wuxia puppet show" (in fact that would be cool as hell), but it could be they're just providing designs too.

EDIT: Hell, just "Urobuchi writes wuxia anything" would be cool. Kikokugai is amazing but other than a bit of Chinese kung fu sprinkled throughout his works and his character in Red Dragon he hasn't been able to do anything entirely in that genre since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDwyz8OFOxA

Here we go...Urobuchi incoming.

https://twitter.com/TBF_PR/status/695502781034004480

EDIT: Oh wow that logo on the left after some Googling. If this is going where I think it's going then I totally get what Urobuchi meant now in his tweets. As far as I can tell, that's a company that makes wuxia puppet show dramas. That is the perfect mix of exactly a thing that Urobuchi would love to be involved in and something that would confuse newcomers to his work.

No wonder yesterday a Taiwanese friend told me Urobuchi's new project is very niche that almost no Japanese ever heard about.

Jex

Yeah, I totally understand being busy; I only invest the time in anime that I do because I deliberately make time for it as a way to relieve the rest of the stress in my life. I'm actually kind of surprised that you still show up here and Twitter at all with how busy you are, especially as it mostly seems to be to say how much you disliked this or that. Seems like it would make more sense to just watch episodes of Doremi whenever you feel like it, so that your limited time for entertainment can be spent on things that actually entertain you.
That's a very sensible piece of advice and I do partially agree. It would be relatively straightforward to invest my time solely in projects that are complete and that I know are good.

However, the problem with stepping back entirely from the world of anime discussion is that when a show is airing which does warrant some discussion and analysis (for example, Concrete Revolutio) I end up missing weeks and weeks worth of commentary. Coming to a title like that after the fact means that I really have to go digging to find all that stuff - where as if I was keeping it up with it as it aired I would have been exposed to that naturally.

So yes, I am running the risk of watching shows that might "go bad" down the line but I'd rather be on board from the beginning so that I can keep abreast of what people are saying and thinking about any given series.

As I am sure everyone is aware, it can be fairly difficult to be an adult and put aside serious time and energy to thinking and writing about anime. I appreciate everyone who does that work, regardless of whether or not I agree with their views. I have always greatly respected hosannainexcelsis' insight and attitude towards reasonable discussion online.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Hexa

So I just finished watching Gargantia and its OVA's, and read that there was a second season planned but it was cancelled, and I don't have anywhere else to bitch about it so I'll do it here.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDD FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!

XKB9smX.gif

OK. Thanks for listening.

jonjonaug

So I just finished watching Gargantia and its OVA's, and read that there was a second season planned but it was cancelled, and I don't have anywhere else to bitch about it so I'll do it here.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDD FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!

XKB9smX.gif

Yeah...it hurts. I imported the entire Japanese BD set, Bandai did a really good job with the subtitles. A shame there won't be any more.

But hey, scroll up a little if you want to see the next exciting work coming from Japanese writer Gen Urbouchi!

duckroll

XKB9smX.gif

Yeah, the OVAs were supposed to lead directly into the next season. They had it all planned out, the scripts were written, the designs done, but then one of the sponsors pulled the plug or something and it got canned.

So the remaining partners decided to take what they had and adapt the plan for the season into two novels instead. The first one already came out and the second one should be out sometime this year. They also include illustrations and designs for the various new characters and mechs which are in the story.

The sequel is about two new characters - iirc one is a young whaler who finds a squidgirl, and the other is the daughter of one of the major political families on Land and she ends up piloting one of the mechs they've been researching and uses that as a chance to run away from her boring life.

So no one told me Noblesse got a 30min OVA from Production IG?!??
The OP

Webtoons officially uploaded it on their youtube with subs so will watch soon but it needs a full anime.

Jintor

Evangelion ep.25-END
WTF did I just watch and what did any of it even fucking mean? There was no ending here, just a mental monolog about nothing. No answers, no discoveries, no conclusion only increased confusion on what any of it even meant. What a waste. Talk about bad episodes, this was 100,000,000,000 X worse than anything seen in Erased today.

Ok, now tell me how brilliant and amazing this was supposed to be because obviously I missed the boat somewhere...

omedetou

Jintor

i'm gonna be totally honest cornbread i was getting the vibe based on your responses to the series as you went you probably weren't going to dig eva any way you swung that cat lol

you were in the completely wrong mindset to accept what it was peddling

i'm gonna be totally honest cornbread i was getting the vibe based on your responses to the series as you went you probably weren't going to dig eva any way you swung that cat lol

you were in the completely wrong mindset to accept what it was peddling

We need people that don't let the Eva peddler come around to balance out all the people that have never seen the series but tell everyone they need to see it.

Szadek

I'm worried. What is Urobuchi gonna do in Concrete Revolutio season 2?

Who is he gonna kill?
#SaveEarth-Chan
He is actually writing anything this time, or did they slap his name on the box like they did with some many bad shows in the last year and a half?

jgminto

Last few episodes of Eva are fantastic, so is End. It would have been so much worse if they just served the resolution on a platter that spelled out every aspect of it.

Qurupeke

So many new pages in just a few hours because of Erased. And a lot of overreactions to Erased and overreactions to the overreactions. lol

Anyway, RIP Cornbread. Tbh, I have grown a bit more fond of this ending but it was trolling at its finest. I would be angry if I had to experience it when it was airing...

Welp, here we go. That is exactly what it is. http://www.thunderboltfantasy.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibkDPXYsMiU

EDIT: Basically Gen Urobuchi is the greatest man in the business with the best ideas.

EDIT2: Seriously "wuxia puppet drama" is the most Urobuchi god damn thing. I was hoping for ridiculous Urobuchi to come along and shock the anime only guys and oh boy is this a thing. I cannot stop laughing.

Looks kinda hype actually

I'm worried. What is Urobuchi gonna do in Concrete Revolutio season 2?

Who is he gonna kill?
#SaveEarth-Chan

Dang, does anyone know when the first of those puppet dramas started airing? Everything might be coming together.

Theonik

I can sell you on Galko-chan -
Already watching it.

Uhm, well... Pandora has lots of faces!
Can never have too many funny face screenshots.

LdB4PQE.gif

Kono Suba is actually really fun. There was an article floating around about how the entire show is actually a pastoral story, which I thought was pretty interesting. The whole thing is enjoyable though.
Hmm...

What's the point of having an Erased OT if people just want to keep talking about the show in here without tags or anything? Might as well close all anime threads down because it was all a mistake.
Show OTs were a mistake. Nothing but trash.

Erased will be remembered as this year's Kokkuri-san or Sankarea.

"That sure was a good little OVA. Shame they didn't make more."
Pfff... I have seen your screenshot folder from that episode.

I was duped into attending a joint film council with MIT at 5AM. So far the only plus of this situation has been that one of the MIT teachers looks like an American Miyazaki. :l I will covertly attempt to snap a photo so we can all marvel at this miracle of genetics together.

Quasar

So many new pages in just a few hours because of Erased. And a lot of overreactions to Erased and overreactions to the overreactions. lol

Having just watched it and enjoyed it I'll admit I'm a little confused. Though I'm surprised its not as groundhog day as I expected.

Jintor

Utena 18

Ah, from the preview I thought it was going to be a joke episode but actually it was the Nanami Gets Rekt episode. Pretty good. Even managed to make the joke kid kind of interesting.

Also NEW FIGHT FOOTAGE!11!1!1!!

Cornbread78

Today is a new day and I felt refreshed until school was canceled and it's snowing outside and I still have to work. But I'm starting Steins Gate to ease the pain.

Plus it's Heavy Object and Gate day!

blurr

Wish I could forget I ever watched Steins and rewatch it...
oh wait, imminent depression after finishing, NOPE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom