• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Studio Colorido Short - Control Bear "Wonder Garden"

Girl looks at toy bear on display in a shop window, has huge fantasy in her head with transforming clothes, an army of bears, a giant secret mecha bear undergound, etc. Cute delusion.

Studio Colorido Short - Rain Town

From the looks of the credits, this is probably a graduate work when the director was in university. It drags on a bit, and lacks polish, but still works emotional. It's a story of a girl living in "rain town" with her grandmother, which seems like some abandoned post-apocalyptic city, and she finds a lonely robot while playing and the robot is reminded of another girl he used to play with - probably the grandmother. The tone is pretty bleak, but the ending was bittersweet.

Studio Colorido Short - Paulette's Chair

Watching this again after watching the historical catalog of shorts the creators did gives new perspective. There's this running theme of loneliness and finding companionship in the imagination through inanimate objects. It's actually pretty depressing to think that the creators have told this same type of story over and over using different premises, protagonists, and fantasies. That doesn't seem like a very healthy perspective in life!

Studio Colorido Short - Hinata no Aoshigure

And I guess this was what it many of their works were leading to. While it's only 18 minutes long, it's still the longest thing they've made up until the point they made this. It has all the elements of their previous works in different ways too, but feels more complete and a little bit more mature. There's the boy pining after the girl, but too awkward to actually approach her normally. There's the girl who is also interested in the boy, but doesn't see why he's so shy. There's the boy's passion for art which he uses to express himself but is too shy to show others, and through that his fantasies materialize visually for the audience. I thought the entire chase scene being turned into a music video was kinda tacky and predictable, but I really liked how the story actually ended because instead of a happily-ever-after. it feels more like a life-goes-on-but-we-have-grown-a-little conclusion. Small steps for small children seems fitting.

Taruranto

Holy shit this spring.

Kuromukuro(PA Works, Okamura Tensai, mecha) also confirmed for spring.

b6jdhzr.jpg

Those are some generic looking girls.

Cornbread78

PA Works being PA Works.

I don't really get all the drama around Erased. Shit was anime as hell since the first episode.

Yeah, even with the "anime" parts it still wasn't as bad as the horror show that it was made out to be yesterday, but whatever, everyone is always waiting and watching for thing to fail about everything they watch....

Oh finally, Kiznaiver(Trigger x Okada) confirmed for 2016 spring.

The anime's setting is a fictional Japanese city named Sugomori City. One day, Sonosaki tells her classmate Katsuhira: "You have been selected to be a Kiznaiver." The Kizuna System, which allows Katsuhira to share his wounds, connects him to the classmates whose lives and personalities completely differ from his.

The Kizuna System is an incomplete system for the implementation of world peace that connects people through wounds. All those who are connected to this system are called Kiznaivers. When one Kiznaiver is wounded, the system divides and transmits the wound among the other Kiznaivers.

I smell some MAXIMUM OVERDRAMA

Katsuhira Akata: The story's protagonist. His sense of pain and his own feelings are dulled. His moods barely fluctuate, and he pays little attention to other people.

Noriko Sonosaki: A mysterious and beautiful girl who experienced kizuna (connection) with Katsuhira and the others, and assigns them missions. She is even more emotionless than Katsuhira, and feels no human kindness.

Hajime Tenga: A muscular idiot who tends not to look before he leaps. While he presents a rude front, he possesses the potential for leadership.

Tsuguhito Yuta: A handsome and self-satisfied honor student who is always surrounded by girls. He is a selfish and calculating man with an underhanded nature, and is cold to other men.

Honoka Maki: A girl who exudes a calm, grown-up air, and who tends not to group with people. She tends to say mean things, glare menacingly, and is generally unsociable.

Chidori Takashiro: Katsuhira's friend, and the class representative-type who always sees to everyone's needs (or is nosy, if viewed negatively). Does she hold complex feelings for Katsuhira?

Niko Niiyama: A mysterious yet spontaneous girl who says she can see fairies. Her personality is clear not just in her attitude but also in her fashion.

Yoshiharu Hisomu: A handsome man with a distinct face that anyone can recognize, but he is surrounded by many mysteries. His multiple piercings and his bandaged look are extremely distinctive.

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Tuck

The anime's setting is a fictional Japanese city named Sugomori City. One day, Sonosaki tells her classmate Katsuhira: "You have been selected to be a Kiznaiver." The Kizuna System, which allows Katsuhira to share his wounds, connects him to the classmates whose lives and personalities completely differ from his.

Katsuhira Akata: The story's protagonist. His sense of pain and his own feelings are dulled. His moods barely fluctuate, and he pays little attention to other people.

Noriko Sonosaki: A mysterious and beautiful girl who experienced kizuna (connection) with Katsuhira and the others, and assigns them missions. She is even more emotionless than Katsuhira, and feels no human kindness.

I can already tell I'm not going to like Kiznaiver.

Narag

Darn it anime stop poisoning cool mecha anime ideas with your freaking CG robots.

I mean you were championing Comet Lucifer because you were thirsty for potentially good mecha and someone tangentially related to E7 kinda sorta worked on it and you're already down on something potentially cool and original directed by Okamura?

I can already tell I'm not going to like Kiznaiver.

Okada + tech to share wounds tells me I will.

Ok I need an answer here because I'm really curious. I've always heard about how Sword Art Online was shit etc, so I decided to watch it and judge myself.
I haven't finished the first season yet, I'm at ep 15. Up to ep 13 it was average, nothing particular, now it seems to get really shitty. Now, my question is
did they change all that stuff because there was a particular fanbase that wanted specific things and so they put them in? I mean, it seems really weird to me to just end the SAO world so abruptly to just put another game and incest in it. Really, what's the motive? I don't think they couldn't finish at least the first season with other SAO stuff. It's like: ok, let's throw everything out and put fairies!! And yes, let's do that even if people died and stuff they can still have a nervegear or even play another fucking "reality" game after that incident. Yeah, sure. It's like oculus rift put people in a coma and they still make games for it, lol.

duckroll

Studio Colorido Short Wannabe Film - Typhoon no Noruda

Yeah this is one of those reach exceeds its grasp things. It was not particularly good, but it was very, very pretty. While I applaud the Ishida/Arai team for trying something totally different here from their previous stuff, they should probably have tried something a bit less... different when branching out. This is a straight scifi "incident" story taking place during a typhoon which leaves all the students and teachers planning for a school festival stranded on campus. There are two boys trying to mend a broken friendship, a mysterious girl who might or might not be an alien, and lots of really pretty effects animation. But that's about it. The 26 minute runtime doesn't allow the situation or characters to develop enough, but the film wants to feel like a feature film anyway. As a result it just doesn't feel satisfying narratively. The voice acting also blows. Probably less the fault of the fresh cast and more of poor direction, because whenever lines came out of their mouths, it just didn't look like it really matched the situation on screen. Hamauzu music was good and it was nice seeing Bahi JD's name twice in the credits. Not much else to say though.

Narag

Ok I need an answer here because I'm really curious. I've always heard about how Sword Art Online was shit etc, so I decided to watch it and judge myself.
I haven't finished the first season yet, I'm at ep 15. Up to ep 13 it was average, nothing particular, now it seems to get really shitty. Now, my question is
did they change all that stuff because there was a particular fanbase that wanted specific things and so they put them in? I mean, it seems really weird to me to just end the SAO world so abruptly to just put another game and incest in it. Really, what's the motive? I don't think they couldn't finish at least the first season with other SAO stuff. It's like: ok, let's throw everything out and put fairies!! And yes, let's do that even if people died and stuff they can still have a nervegear or even play another fucking "reality" game after that incident. Yeah, sure. It's like oculus rift put people in a coma and they still make games for it, lol.

First half in Aincrad is actually longer than it should be thanks to the inclusion of various short stories. Otherwise it's just pretty short as was ALO so it was easy to toss them into a two cour show.

NeonZ

The first arc was originally pretty much a standalone short story. It skipped from the beginning right to the part where Kirito and Asuna fall in love, face the villain and such. All the episodic stories in between those were just short stories written after the original since it was so successful. There clearly wasn't an overall plan from the start, which is why the second arc ends up feeling kind of random and unnecessary.

I mean you were championing Comet Lucifer because you were thirsty for potentially good mecha and someone tangentially related to E7 kinda sorta worked on it and you're already down on something potentially cool and original directed by Okamura?

I mostly just don't like the design of the mecha in the visual.

With Comet Lucifer, despite me being able to tell that the mech was probably gonna be CG, I could at least imagine it looking cool while punching things.

With that thing...I don't know. Something about its face just doesn't look right. And since this is an anime about a samurai, I'm not sure how good a CG mecha slicing up other CG mecha is going to look.

But then again, maybe I am being a bit too hard on it. If the director did some good stuff before, maybe there's hope. I guess after Comet Lucifer turning out as a trainwreck I learned to lower my expectations a bit, haha.

Narag

I mostly just don't like the design of the mecha in the visual.

With Comet Lucifer, despite me being able to tell that the mech was probably gonna be CG, I could at least imagine it looking cool while punching things.

With that thing...I don't know. Something about its face just doesn't look right. And since this is an anime about a samurai, I'm not sure how good a CG mecha slicing up other CG mecha is going to look.

But then again, maybe I am being a bit too hard on it. If the director did some good stuff before, maybe there's hope. I guess after Comet Lucifer turning out as a trainwreck I learned to lower my expectations a bit, haha.

All that mech needs is a ragged red scarf flowing behind it.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Spring season sounds fine, will proably pick up and watch quite a lot of the airing shows.
As I like mediocre stuff and over appreciate good shows which makes every season pretty good according to me.

Narag

Oh god, I just noticed that Erased is 10th on MAL. lol One rank over Gintama and with four Gintamas over it.

MAL should like really not count scores for a show that's not marked as completed, or, at least significantly weigh those scores less.

JulianImp

Those Kiznaiver bios look generic as hell: the mysterious robot-like mentor, the hot-blooded sidekick guy, the underhanded honor student, the antisocial girl (most likely a kuudere), the kind class rep, the cloudcuckoolander (with a possible side order of Cassandra truth) and the weird guy. I know some shows like Monogatari have taken some of these tropes and used them in interesting ways, but I don't feel so sure about this one... Guess I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and watch some episodes when it eventually airs.

Paint-by-the-numbers high school and isekai settings are getting boring, honestly. While I don't hate those settings per se, having most shows use them and beat the setting's associated tropes to the ground by playing as many of them as possible completely straight (or with a telegraphed "twist") isn't my definition of what makes an entertaining show.

And talking about underhanded honor students just reminded me I should keep watching KareKano, since that's an actually fairy decent show with that kind of character.

duckroll

Erased - Episode 5

That really wasn't all that bad. It was a pretty pulpy episode, but nothing that wasn't really already telegraphed in previous episodes. The mystery angle of the show was always going to be like this anyway. Not that it's a good thing, but it is what it is!

Worst parts of the episode would be
the scene Kayo's mother comes out of the house with the garbage bag with that EVIL GRIN on her face, the camera focusing on THE LAST SUPPER on the wall when Satoru was at the manager's place, and the hilarious pseudo-ominous camerawork in the scene where the manager talks to the politician.
Those are the over the top bad directing traits which drag the episode down, but we've had tons of that in previous episodes too - red eyes, evil grins, ominous meeting scenes, same shit different era.

Story-wise, the most nonsensical thing is
why Satoru is even on the run. There is no evidence against him, there is only an "eyewitness" account which is a misunderstanding. He could easily have turned himself in at the start of the episode and would save himself a ton of trouble. I mean, it's not like he has some grand plan that requires him being a free man. If his plan is to trigger Revival again, there's no reason why that can't happen if he's in a holding cell waiting for shit to be sorted out!

DiGiKerot

Erased - Episode 5

That really wasn't all that bad. It was a pretty pulpy episode, but nothing that wasn't really already telegraphed in previous episodes. The mystery angle of the show was always going to be like this anyway. Not that it's a good thing, but it is what it is!

Worst parts of the episode would be
the scene Kayo's mother comes out of the house with the garbage bag with that EVIL GRIN on her face, the camera focusing on THE LAST SUPPER on the wall when Satoru was at the manager's place, and the hilarious pseudo-ominous camerawork in the scene where the manager talks to the politician.
Those are the over the top bad directing traits which drag the episode down, but we've had tons of that in previous episodes too - red eyes, evil grins, ominous meeting scenes, same shit different era.

Story-wise, the most nonsensical thing is
why Satoru is even on the run. There is no evidence against him, there is only an "eyewitness" account which is a misunderstanding. He could easily have turned himself in at the start of the episode and would save himself a ton of trouble. I mean, it's not like he has some grand plan that requires him being a free man. If his plan is to trigger Revival again, there's no reason why that can't happen if he's in a holding cell waiting for shit to be sorted out!

I dunno, it'd be kind of a flimsy justification, but I suppose
the fact that one of his major traumas from his youth was seeing a man he always believed to be innocent charged for murder could have lead to a rather intense distrust of the police process, but they don't really do anything to justify that being the case in the show. He's pretty much just on the run because that's what they do in this kind of fiction www

(I thought this weeks Erased was fine, for what little it's worth)

Random question: what are the chances of a complete Space Dandy collection releasing? Instead of being separated out as seasons one and two, like the current releases.

I really want to re-watch this show on Blu-ray but can't decide whether to pull the trigger on the two separate sets or wait for an inevitable complete set (if there will ever be one).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom