• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Erased will be remembered as this year's Kokkuri-san or Sankarea.

"That sure was a good little OVA. Shame they didn't make more."

Who thought Kokkuri-san was anything but painfully average the entire way through? Unless we're talking about two different Kokkuri-sans.

Just T

Eureka Seven AO irritated me so much. Then that month break they took for the last two episodes. Show was full of fuckery.

blurr

First ep set unreasonably high standards.

Touching single parent story -> bring on the pedo jokes

Yea, I agree, the first episode set very high standards but I think a lot of comedy anime do that, not saying that's alright. I had expected it to fall down on its standards later on. Still, it was enjoyable to an extent.

Tomorrow I start Steins Gate and I really hope it doesn't shit the bed like Eva just did.

Amazed you didn't watch it yet. Very good show.

Evangelion ep.25-END
WTF did I just watch and what did any of it even fucking mean? There was no ending here, just a mental monolog about nothing. No answers, no discoveries, no conclusion only increased confusion on what any of it even meant. What a waste. Talk about bad episodes, this was 100,000,000,000 X worse than anything seen in Erased today.

Ok, now tell me how brilliant and amazing this was supposed to be because obviously I missed the boat somewhere...

Eva ending reactions never get old.

Recommend watching this and reading this

The video breaks it down really well and the article analyzes it further.

Edit: Oh yea, you've gotta watch End of Evangelion as well.

Edit2: Also, going through previous posts, I'm going to hold on to my opinion on Erased for the moment or until it concludes. It went a different direction this episode but I found it reasonable albeit it is admittedly a bit sloppy here and there as mentioned by others.

First ep set unreasonably high standards.

Touching single parent story -> bring on the pedo jokes

Wasn't the first episode just "hey, here's this emotionless girl and a fox god and they're totally gonna get into wacky hijinx together!"? There wasn't anything indicating it would be a youkai version of Usagi Drop. Pretty sure there were pedo jokes in that ep as well. It was pretty much the same as all the other episodes, just with less characters. It didn't shift tones or anything outside of maybe the first few minutes that did indicate a somewhat sobering show.

2013's big enjoyment drop for me would be Valvrave. Season one wasn't "good" in a traditional sense, but it was enjoyable for how ridiculous it was. The show peaked at the climax of the first season though and was never able to hit the ridiculous heights of
glowing space fairy vampire nazis
again afterward. In season one I was excited to find out what stupid thing would happen next, because it was dumb in a fun way. In season two I was lamenting how stupid the show was, because it was just kind of boring.

Valvrave had already lost steam before the end of the first season, the 2nd half being so dull wasn't really that much of a shock.

I just finished Welcome to the NHK a little while ago. A fairly nice show that had a fairly mediocre ending. The resolution definitely felt in line with the characterization and I get that in many ways we aren't supposed to see a huge change but it still felt fairly flat. There were probably better ways to execute this more realistic slice of life story but I still enjoyed it.

Russ T

Banned
Tomorrow I start Steins Gate and I really hope it doesn't shit the bed like Eva just did.

Haha, okay, listen, I do not like Eva, but there's something you should understand about it. That ending is a result of them running out of money. Once they recuperated some funds, they went back and revisited the series with End of Evangelion.

It doesn't seem like the type of anime you'd like, either way, based on what I've seen of your tastes, but if you want a real ending... go watch that.

Steins;Gate, however! That's good. Even if it's not perfect, it's real good.

blurr

Wasn't the first episode just "hey, here's this emotionless girl and a fox god and they're totally gonna get into wacky hijinx together!"? There wasn't anything indicating it would be a youkai version of Usagi Drop. Pretty sure there were pedo jokes in that ep as well. It was pretty much the same as all the other episodes, just with less characters. It didn't shift tones or anything.

it was... funny nevertheless?

Ichimatsu's cute stoic personality and complete indifference went well with Kokkuri-san's own normal/mature personality. Moreover, their positions were the opposite, you'd expect a human to act normal/mature while a ghost/spirit to be stoic/indifferent. It's amusing/funny to see the personalities switch places (even if this amusement lasted for just one episode).

Cornbread78

I was just thinking of rewatching Steins; Gate. I like how it's structured and thought it ended quite well.

Steins Gate is incredible, hope you enjoy it.

Good because I need to wash the shit taste out of my mouth, lol.

I mean c'mon, Eva even had
tanks full of soulless human vessels (even nipples) used as replacement body parts for Rei? I mean, seriously, wtf was that?

OK time to move on.

it was... funny nevertheless?

Ichimatsu's cute stoic personality and complete indifference went well with Kokkuri-san's own normal/mature personality. Moreover, their positions were the opposite, you'd expect a human to act normal/mature while a ghost/spirit to be stoic/indifferent. It's amusing/funny to see the personalities switch places (even if this amusement lasted for just one episode).

But that didn't change. There was nothing different about the direction, type of jokes or character interactions throughout the whole season. It was all in line with episode 1.

Mature

tanks full of soulless human vessels (even nipples) used as replacement body parts for Rei? I mean, seriously, wtf was that?

OK time to move on.
You know the movie is a different ending of sorts, right?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, I agree, the first episode set very high standards but I think a lot of comedy anime do that, not saying that's alright. I had expected it to fall down on its standards later on. Still, it was enjoyable to an extent.

Amazed you didn't watch it yet. Very good show.

Eva ending reactions never get old.

Recommend watching this and reading this

The video breaks it down really well and the article analyzes it further.

Edit: Oh yea, you've gotta watch End of Evangelion as well.

Edit2: Also, going through previous posts, I'm going to hold on to my opinion on Erased for the moment or until it concludes. It went a different direction this episode but I found it reasonable albeit it is admittedly a bit sloppy here and there as mentioned by others.

I look forward to the day Digibro gets to the ending of Eva.

blurr

But that didn't change. There was nothing different about the direction, type of jokes or character interactions throughout the whole season. It was all in line with episode 1.

Yea, the rest of the show falls short of the impression the first episode gave. I don't disagree with that. Point is that the first episode was funny.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Speaking of bad shows, I watch True Tears a few months ago. At least it had some nice music but man did it get weird and unintentionally hilarious.

Man, whats with PA Works and making shows about chickens and incest? Thats the second one IIRC.
Was the other one Glasslip? lol

Puruzi

Banned
Yea, the rest of the show falls short of the impression the first episode gave. I don't disagree with that. Point is that the first episode was funny.

cosmicblizzard is saying that the entire season of kokkuri san was like episode 1, and he doesn't get why people act like it became bad.

Cornbread78

You know the movie is a different ending of sorts, right?

Haha, okay, listen, I do not like Eva, but there's something you should understand about it. That ending is a result of them running out of money. Once they recuperated some funds, they went back and revisited the series with End of Evangelion.

It doesn't seem like the type of anime you'd like, either way, based on what I've seen of your tastes, but if you want a real ending... go watch that.

Steins;Gate, however! That's good. Even if it's not perfect, it's real good.

Yeah, I'll try to find the movie somewhere to see if it helps ease the pain, lol.

I'm just not seeing the comparison to Sankarea, which had a very noticeable difference in direction and tone post-episode 3, or Rolling Girls which seemed to almost shift genres after episode 2. Even if you think the quality dropped after episode 1 (which I don't agree with), episode 1 was still a pretty good indication of what the rest of the show would be like in tone and consistency, whereas I don't think anyone would say the same about those other 2.

Dresden

Phantom world 5

this was alright. I assumed the whole show would be that limbo scene from episode one (which looking back is the most outrageous scene involving boob physics since the bullet dodge in Highschool of the Dead) but this episode was basically a battle shonen character intro with some nice action.

Dresden

One day I will beat Kyoda at his own game and do an edit of E7AO which makes it good.

It's possible if it's cut off at the end of episode 12.

Mql7hTt.jpg

THE END

Cut out the weird otaku stuff with Elena, Gazelle and his bros, the Okinawan politics, some random battles, probably the entirety of episode 10, maybe Elena herself, definitely get rid of scenes involving Truth, and probably Naru as well just to be safe. Follow some basic arc involving a boy searching for his mother being employed by a shady multinat with mecha. Could be like an hour of good footage there.

Just T

OK time to move on.
Lol only Eva I've watched is the two Rebuild movies.

duckroll

Studio Colorido Shorts - Shashinkan

Damn. Crying irl now. What a moving piece of art. Aside from the excellent character animation throughout and the great art design, this short is a masterclass in depicting passage of time and emphasizing on emotions without using a single word. It's also a much more "serious" work than most of Takashi Nakamura's usual stuff, but he handles it so damn well. I wish I watched this a little earlier, because there's no question that this would have destroyed everything else on my list of 2015 animated shorts/films.

Jarmel

Banned
Cut out the weird otaku stuff with Elena, Gazelle and his bros, the Okinawan politics, some random battles, probably the entirety of episode 10, maybe Elena herself, definitely get rid of scenes involving Truth, and probably Naru as well just to be safe. Follow some basic arc involving a boy searching for his mother being employed by a shady multinat with mecha. Could be like an hour of good footage there.

Elena should have been cut and more time given to Fleur. Give one of the background girls Elena's design so that doesn't go to waste though.

JulianImp

I just finished Welcome to the NHK a little while ago. A fairly nice show that had a fairly mediocre ending. The resolution definitely felt in line with the characterization and I get that in many ways we aren't supposed to see a huge change but it still felt fairly flat. There were probably better ways to execute this more realistic slice of life story but I still enjoyed it.

I like it when a show gives characters hope and has them grow without trivializing the things they've got to go through to "get better". Despite the various ways Welcome to the NHK stylizes the various issues the cast has, it also makes it obvious how hard it is for each of them to overcome said issues, and how easy it was for Sato to fall back on his lazy and self-loathing self.

NHK was great for me since it was one of those series that tackled an issue anime often uses for comedic purposes in a more serious and dramatic way without going full drama mode. Seeing Sato make some semblance of progress only to relapse into his old ways again and again was interesting, as was how the show managed to mix its dramatic and comedic parts without making them stick out or fell out of place.

Okay, you either have to watch Eureka Seven AO, or Darker than Black S2 and the second half of Aldonoah Zero. Whatever choice you make, you have to watch it all in a marathon.

And no you can't put yourself out of your misery.

blurr

cosmicblizzard is saying that the entire season of kokkuri san was like episode 1, and he doesn't get why people act like it became bad.

I'm just not seeing the comparison to Sankarea, which had a very noticeable difference in direction and tone post-episode 3, or Rolling Girls which seemed to almost shift genres after episode 2. Even if you think the quality dropped after episode 1 (which I don't agree with), episode 1 was still a pretty good indication of what the rest of the show would be like in tone and consistency, whereas I don't think anyone would say the same about those other 2.

Ohh yea, I agree. It wasn't a drop in quality rather, it didn't expand on it. By impression I meant it in terms of the humor, not the show overall.

Also, I didn't exactly watch Kokkuri-san when it aired, I saw it much later so I didn't expect much from it either since it was already established as a light comedy with no development. So it has given a fair impression on me than had I watched it as it aired.

Was the other one Glasslip? lol

Is the other one Glasslip? Same director.

lol Yuuuup! Same director? That makes sense. I thought Okada worked on both properties but I was wrong. I also think the True Tears MC was an artist like the Glasslip one too? lol

True Tears had an interesting premise and I was enjoying it at first. Then shit got weird, people crashed bikes, dudes wanted to fuck their sisters and a bunch of other stuff happened.

Glasslip? Well, it gave us bicycle-kun and a scene where a girl just walks around naked for some reason. Good times.

lFBtTep.gif

pbayne

Okay, you either have to watch Eureka Seven AO, or Darker than Black S2 and the second half of Aldonoah Zero. Whatever choice you make, you have to watch it all in a marathon.

And no you can't put yourself out of your misery.

Darker than black season 2 is great though. That would be an enjoyable marathon

can we talk about KONOSUBA now?

I watched it with my fiance. I told her that if Megumin asked me to walk the path of explosions, I'd walk it right out the door. She told me that it would take a chuuni to think I was worth taking on any path. :l I've never felt more burnt.

Is Darkness actually her name or a translation thing I don't get?

I was also wondering this. Her name is actually more ridiculous than the character whose name is a running joke.

Ibuki

Banned
Erased - 5

I can't be the only one who thought
that her body was in the trash bag? Maybe I watch too much violent media, but that would have been a kick in the balls...

Erased - 5

I can't be the only one who thought
that her body was in the trash bag? Maybe I watch too much violent media, but that would have been a kick in the balls...

I thought so too at first but
the gloves were pretty heartbreaking by themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom