• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

As far as I know, all of Sentai's 12 episode on one disc releases are on BD-50s. I feel like BD-25s would be pushing it a bit too much.

If you're worried about video quality, it's definitely best to stick with that group, though I'd like to add Discotek as well. The BDs I own by them are all fantastic in terms of video quality. Their BDs are authored by the same company that does NISA (and some PonyCan titles), so it's not surprising. Sometimes their discs even have advantages over the original Japanese release! Jin-Roh for example, is no longer window-boxed on the North American BD.

I wasn't aware that Zeta was mastered on 35mm, but that's great news! The transfer on that one should look amazing. I was concerned about the discs after hearing that the 0079 BDs were on two discs per collection, which I thought was a bit tight. Glad to see that they're giving it space now. Definitely looking forward to adding Zeta to the collection!
I actually need to double-check on Zeta being 35mm now (can't trust my memory), but i'm pretty sure that's the reason for the increase in discs on this next release, especially because I definitely know it was mentioned that Gundam was on 16mm. The interview where he mentions it has those thoughts side-by-side.

Clov

I actually need to double-check on Zeta being 35mm now (can't trust my memory), but i'm pretty sure that's the reason for the increase in discs on this next release, especially because I definitely know it was mentioned that Gundam was on 16mm. The interview where he mentions it has those thoughts side-by-side.

Even if Zeta was done on 16mm, using three discs instead of two should provide a nice boost in video quality. That's plenty of room for the first half of the series to breathe.

Clov

You know what was 35mm? Vision of Escaflowne. Please release this outside of Japan!

According to Funimation, they're still waiting on materials from Sunrise, who apparently likes to take their time. That's what I remember hearing, at least. I hope we get some good news on the North American BD release soon, it's been a while since Funimation licensed it.

Thoraxes

Even if Zeta was done on 16mm, using three discs instead of two should provide a nice boost in video quality. That's plenty of room for the first half of the series to breathe.

Oh definitely!

And for sure I know he definitely said "Gundam (OG series) was on 16mm film, however if a Gundam series was produced with 35mm film, they will have access to it for their western release."

I'll have to give more Discotek stuff a spin soon too. I still need to pick up Cagliostro! Totally slipped my mind during the sale period, but I will be needing a cart-topper for when I place my order of Shirobako.
You know what was 35mm? Vision of Escaflowne. Please release this outside of Japan!
Yes please.
According to Funimation, they're still waiting on materials from Sunrise, who apparently likes to take their time. That's what I remember hearing, at least. I hope we get some good news on the North American BD release soon, it's been a while since Funimation licensed it.
I'm still waiting on those Geass BDs from the rights they rescued from Bandai all those years ago.

Clov

Yes please.

I'm still waiting on those Geass BDs from the rights they rescued from Bandai all those years ago.

Outside of Bebop, I don't think any of the Sunrise licences from that time (from either Funimation or Sentai) have released, have they?

Thoraxes

Outside of Bebop, I don't think any of the Sunrise licences from that time (from either Funimation or Sentai) have released, have they?

Looks like you're correct here.

And man, some of the things on those lists (especially Outlaw Star) are things I would really really want.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Haruchika 1
Oh, i get it. So they're totally going to solve mystery to recruit brass club member.
After seeing Hibike, the whole musical instrument in this show sure looks bad in comparison.
The character design is by the same illustrator who did Chaika huh? That explain their eye shapes.

Major LN Spoilers
She's a personification of Satan - who is the mastermind of the entire show. The forward ponytails are how humanity see her horns when she hides in human form.

I have no clue. It's pretty unique as far as character design goes, for better or worse.

I am going to go into episode 1 with the mindset that this is true.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sushi Police Episode 1:

So pretty much another show trying to equate randomness with funny and failing at it spectacularly.

DiGiKerot

All the Anime (UK) is releasing the whole backlog of Gundam shows.

Those are coming out via Rightstuf in the US first, though, and is a little different given a bunch of those are also the first time they'll have seen release on physical media in English.

AtA have actually gotten a rerelease of Outlaw Star out in recent times, though!

phaze

My 2016 resolution is to watch more mecha shows.
RIP

Yamishibai S2 04

This is why I liked Kagewani's approach to some of the monsters - never really showing you the full body shot, or giving you a full idea of what it actually was.

That way your creepy wall crawling monster lady stays creepy -

and doesn't just look like a fuckin goofball.
Get out of here Michael Jackson.

I think that one freaked me out the most.

Gunbuster is to Diebuster as A New Hope is to The Force Awakens. (?)
A dated piece of crap then ?

This is an insult to both Gunbuster, which isn't as bad as ANH and Diebuster which isn't as reliant on rehashing Gunbuster's story as FA is.

Damekko Doubusu 6

This one was strangely optimistic and felt out of tone given the rest of the show so far!

But why.

Eridani

Prince of Stride: Alternative 1

I decided to check this out due to the fact that this season seems really weak, and because it got some good impressions. After watching it though, it's clearly not a show for me. First of all, it feels incredibly generic, with the whole "our club used to be amazing but now it sucks and we need to revive it" premise and the generic characters. The direction helps to differentiate it a bit, but I really wasn't a fan of it. The weird, super detailed and super short sakuga shots immediately cutting into incredibly bad animation was a particular detail that left a bad impression.

The biggest problem though, are the characters. All of them look incredibly one note and not a single one seems interesting. I mean, when the only defining characteristic of one of the main characters is that he likes to molest other people's legs, I just don't see how you can make him interesting or believable. The only character that actually acted like a human being was the stride club leader, but even he did not seem interesting at all.

Also, the whole stride thing just felt dumb. The show made it rather clear that no one cared about the club anymore, and yet all they have to do is announce a race and the whole school immediately drops everything they were doing to go watch and help with preparations. All in all, unless it improves drastically, I won't be continuing.

MrChom

Don't know about elsewhere but the UK is getting an Ultimate Edition of Escaflowne containing:

1. Original Escaflowne BRD (Sub+Dub)
2. Escaflowne the Movie BRD (Sub+Dub)
3. Escaflowne Director's Cut BRD (Sub Only)

Anime Limited have had to delay the set since finding out they'd been given the Director's Cut materials...I personally can't wait.

http://www.uk-anime.net/newsitem/Anime_Limited_discuss_early_Escaflowne_Ultimate_Edition_details.html

DiGiKerot

I hope Norn9 really isnt a TAN exclusive.

Perhaps someone else is doing a dagashi kashi simulcast too. Funi + CR are doing erased for example.

Given Sentais press release for their TAN shows also list a bunch of regions for Norn9 that TAN doesn't even service, I'm going to imagine that it'd have to be on CR as well and someone forgot to clip part of their press information.

Watching classic mecha shows seems like a good way to be depressed in the long run. Because you start out watching awesome stuff that almost everyone loves. It's good.
You feel at peace, and happy watching how horribly fucked up Shinji is in the End of Evangelion.

But then reality comes back, and you realize time hasn't been kind to the mecha genre.
Sure, some mecha shows/movies are still good. But very few things are new, chances are you're either watching a new Gundam or you're waiting and hoping the last Evangelion movie isn't as bad as the third one was. (Apparently, I haven't seen it yet.)
And the things that are new are either terrible (looking at you Comet Lucifer.), or they don't continue past a season.

Just T

Gintama 304

Guess that’s not the final new opening but not feeling it either way, the new ending is nice though. The episode itself was exciting and intense. The flashbacks were really good, to get a prolonged look at when they were little and Shoyo. I like how they mixed them in the fight, it came out really well. Looking forward to how the rest of this turns out.

pbayne

Don't know about elsewhere but the UK is getting an Ultimate Edition of Escaflowne containing:

Anime Limited have had to delay the set since finding out they'd been given the Director's Cut materials...I personally can't wait.

http://www.uk-anime.net/newsitem/Anime_Limited_discuss_early_Escaflowne_Ultimate_Edition_details.html

yeah they can throw the movie in the trash but that will be an awesome set. Cant wait. Anime Limited are definitely worth the little extra they charge for the general quality they produce.

/XX/

Studio's anniversary. For April 1st. Short series. On USPI's own "unconventional" time-slot. Directed by Mr. Imaishi... hmm, this is totally the TRIGGER GIRLS project at last, isn't it? :-V

4 BONES shows in one season. Wow.
Do you have already a clear picture of what exactly BONES' individual studios are handling each? Maybe MY HERO ACADEMIA at 'Studio A'? Mob Psycho 100 at 'Studio B'? C & D handling their respective series second seasons?

I seem to remember from information of previous releases that Z Gundam's OP and ED were printed on a different, bigger format 35mm film stock than the used for the actual episodes footage itself at 16mm film... unlike that strange case of V Gundam where some of the first episodes of the series were originally shot on 35mm film while the rest on lesser gauge.

BluWacky

I still find this very frustrating. There's "have to delay", and then there's "it's been two years since the announcement of the license with almost no news". 2 1/2 years if you're talking Funimation's announcement.

The Director's Cut only exists for the first 8 or 9 episodes as I recall, and none of the scenes are especially long in terms of translation. I will admit to not knowing whether there was much rescoring in the Director's Cut across scene transitions, but seamless branching technology has existed since the DVD days and surely can't be that complicated, particularly as HD masters already exist from the Japanese release and Anime Limited at the least have them. It's not as if anyone would be expecting them to remaster the hardsubbed material from the original VHS release in the modern era (OP/ED/ep 26 ending sequence); it looked dreadful enough on the original DVDs.

Clearly the show isn't a huge priority either for Anime Limited or Funimation, whichever one of them is going to do the actual work on it.

DiGiKerot

I still find this very frustrating. There's "have to delay", and then there's "it's been two years since the announcement of the license with almost no news". 2 1/2 years if you're talking Funimation's announcement.

The Director's Cut only exists for the first 8 or 9 episodes as I recall, and none of the scenes are especially long in terms of translation. I will admit to not knowing whether there was much rescoring in the Director's Cut across scene transitions, but seamless branching technology has existed since the DVD days and surely can't be that complicated, particularly as HD masters already exist from the Japanese release and Anime Limited at the least have them. It's not as if anyone would be expecting them to remaster the hardsubbed material from the original VHS release in the modern era (OP/ED/ep 26 ending sequence); it looked dreadful enough on the original DVDs.

Clearly the show isn't a huge priority either for Anime Limited or Funimation, whichever one of them is going to do the actual work on it.

Last I remember (assuming I'm not misremembering, which is entirely possible!), Anime Limited had received materials and sent them off to one of the authoring houses they use to at least be looked at, but for a long while there's been rumours floating around that Funimation may actually put in the effort and dub those extra scenes from the Directors Cut, and given that, unlike a lot of their releases, it's not got recency to it, it's not exactly like AL have a fire under them to strike whilst the iron is hot. It sounds like they may be foraging ahead with their own disk production regardless at the point - their most recent podcast did say it'd be out this year, but there's been a certain amount of concern about releasing a "premium" product if Funi suddenly do something that'd significantly sweep their feet out from under them.

Speaking of UK news, assorted Twitter conversations this morning are suggesting that Viewster are significantly cutting back on making deals for content that only parts of Europe, so hurray for there once again being no legal way to watch half of Funimations licenses in the UK due to the peddling of a box of tat focuses primarily at the US!

DiGiKerot

Speaking of Viewster, did anyone buy that Kill la Kill box from them?

Most folks I know who have one got it comp'd as promotional/advertising material, but we're talking about purely UK folks here. The cost to get those things in the UK is a little too ludicrous to even consider, and, frankly, I'm quite capable of spending my money on tat that I know I actually want. Unless they create an option that just cycles through cartoon idol franchise merchandise every month, then I'd consider it.

Oh, and apparently, if Twitter isn't lying to me, The Anime Network are directly serving those shows they said were streaming to the UK though the TAN service themselves, so if you wanted to watch any of those in a legal manner, I hope you are looking forward to forking out the cost of a Crunchyroll sub for access to just those shows (because the rest of the catalogue remains NA only, obviously!)

-edit- And because the news just doesn't stop coming, apparently Funi are relaunching their video services in the next month or so, including streaming to the UK. Huuuuuuuuh....

Line_HTX

First 27 eps of Kenshin are up on us netflix.

that's so strange!

Wait what? Why not the entire 95 episodes? That's a pretty odd place to stop. Wouldn't that be after the Kyoto arc started, or at least after the episode titles changed from happy to a darker tone?

JCG

Wait what? Why not the entire 95 episodes? That's a pretty odd place to stop. Wouldn't that be after the Kyoto arc started, or at least after the episode titles changed from happy to a darker tone?

It's actually right before any of the Kyoto arc content comes up.

BluWacky

Last I remember (assuming I'm not misremembering, which is entirely possible!), Anime Limited had received materials and sent them off to one of the authoring houses they use to at least be looked at, but for a long while there's been rumours floating around that Funimation may actually put in the effort and dub those extra scenes from the Directors Cut, and given that, unlike a lot of their releases, it's not got recency to it, it's not exactly like AL have a fire under them to strike whilst the iron is hot.

I know rationally that Escaflowne has comparatively little historic significance for more recent anime fans, and I do understand why it is unlikely to be a priority; it just saddens me a little, really, that my favourite show has the promise of a "definitive" release as yet unfulfilled :(

I've always assumed, if I'm honest, that Anime Limited were waiting for Funimation to produce something they could clone. I've pre-ordered both the Gankutsuou and Noein BD sets that are coming out this month to replace my DVDs (not that I will ever rewatch them, but it's the principle of supporting good shows!), both of which I believe are carbon copies of the Funimation releases - although that's just off the top of my head.

Tuck

Shirobako - 4
This was probably the first episode I really enjoyed. The director is a quack who seems to like making horrible decisions, but he's hilarious. Them locking him up was wonderful.

Mohak guy is also a highlight. I liked theconversation about 3D vs hand drawn, but I can't say I liked the overall "3D isn't so bad and its here to stay so deal with it" message. Not that its wrong, but really that scene should have been done in 2D!

Deadpan white hair girl is horrible. Also I preferred Megumi in Shokogeki no Soma, but she hasn't had many lines here so far so I'll hold out judgement.

Thoraxes

I seem to remember from information of previous releases that Z Gundam's OP and ED were printed on a different, bigger format 35mm film stock than the used for the actual episodes footage itself at 16mm film... unlike that strange case of V Gundam where some of the first episodes of the series were originally shot on 35mm film while the rest on lesser gauge.

I know I read something similar to this somewhere, but I thought that was the case with Gundam's release. I'm pretty sure the Gundam releases that just came out feature a 35mm version of both the OP and ED when you watch the clean versions (which is included on disc) vs. the ones in the episode cut on disc.

I'll check that later after work and maybe do some screencaps. Hell, it's probably the case with both series for the earlier ones.

Crocodile

Did Bones expand recently? They've really upped their output in the past few years. I really hope they aren't on route to be the next Toei (release so many products that the average quality of them all goes down)

No Dagashi Kashi simulcast, pushed to Monday

Why are Funi so consistently shit about getting their simlucasts out on time?

Shirobako - 4
This was probably the first episode I really enjoyed. The director is a quack who seems to like making horrible decisions, but he's hilarious. Them locking him up was wonderful.

Mohak guy is also a highlight. I liked the conversation about 3D vs hand drawn, but I can't say I liked the overall "3D isn't so bad and its here to stay so deal with it" message. Not that its wrong, but really that scene should have been done in 2D!

Deadpan white hair girl is horrible. Also I preferred Megumi in Shokogeki no Soma, but she hasn't had many lines here so far so I'll hold out judgement.

You mean the goth lolita woman? 100% you will do a 180 on her before the show is over.
She's actually a secret badass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom