• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCG

Active Raid 1

Pretty good. This was essentially just what I expected, as in a very whimsical show with a few amusing characters and some decent 3DCG action scenes on the side. I can definitely see some people not digging it, if they don't like the lighter tone or all the use of 3D, but this is really my jam. There were some obvious Patlabor vibes in terms of the setting, of course, but it's mostly Tiger and Bunny with cops plus more girls. Also some more Engrish, which I thought was cringy yet funny. Overall, it had a very Tokusatsu feel which isn't surprising given the writer's record.

Needless to say, the comedy was more important than the police procedural stuff and nothing was particularly serious about it. There wasn't that much fanservice (mostly a quick shot of the dudes getting into their power suits, which I guess the girls will also get). Even the fighting scenes were ultimately part of the joke too. Exposition was kept low and the soundtrack was very nice. Taniguchi did the storyboards.

The undeniable weak points were relatively bland character designs and unimpressive animation from a studio that's never done anything like this. I am largely indifferent to the mascot character. Neither of which will make or break the show for me, but I can see that being an obstacle for others. Still, I personally think this will be fun to watch every week.

pbayne

I don't think I'll ever really understand what people mean by that. I really like most BONES endings, regardless of whether they are original or faithful to the adaptations. They just do great work.

I guess it stems mostly from Fullmetal alchemist 2003 and Soul Eaters endings, in which Bone's hands were tied for both.

Also jesus every end of every season of darker than black is way more cryptic than it has any need to be,

I guess it stems mostly from Fullmetal alchemist 2003 and Soul Eaters endings, in which Bone's hands were tied for both.

Also jesus every end of every season of darker than black is way more cryptic than it has any need to be,

Honestly after rewatching Full Metal Alchemist 2003 version including the movie. I prefer that ending a lot more than Brotherhood because the latter felt too cheesy with everyone getting a happy ending. That if you work hard you can achieve anything. In 2003 version it concluded with an ending that emphasized the very fact that life isn't always easy.

But that's just my opinion.

Szadek

Active Raid - Ep. 1
It was alright I guess, but it better gets more interesting or gets better action soon,otherwise I'm done with this show.

Defuser

Active Raid ep 1
What I get is a Centurions + Tiger and Bunny + Tokusatsu'ish combination of disappointment. One of the most long boring banter between characters trying to crackdown on 2 punks and of course unimpressive animation and butt ugly janky 3d models.

Arakawa Naruhisa should go back to writing super sentai.

tuffy

Honestly after rewatching Full Metal Alchemist 2003 version including the movie. I prefer that ending a lot more than Brotherhood because the latter felt too cheesy with everyone getting a happy ending. That if you work hard you can achieve anything. In 2003 version it concluded with an ending that emphasized the very fact that life isn't always easy.

But that's just my opinion.
Even sad endings need to be earned, but it feels like a lot FMA2003's bittersweet endings stem from a plot that doesn't know how to wrap things up neatly because characters needed to be repurposed.

Like how Hughes gets murdered by Envy and Sheska(?!) spends a lot of time on a quest for justice. So how does that get paid off? Eventually Envy winds up killing Ed too, turning into a dragon, and getting skewered by a bunch of Nazis. So it's not a happy ending, but it's not very satisfying as a sad ending either.

JCG

Active Raid ep 1

That's basically what Active Raid is, to be sure. If you find no appeal in that style of writing jokes and banter, you'll probably find it boring.

Conversely, since this is working for me...I kind of want to check out some of his Super Sentai shows now, lol.

Defuser

That's basically what Active Raid is, to be sure. If you find no appeal in that style of writing jokes and banter, you'll probably find it boring.

Conversely, since this is working for me...I kind of want to check out some of his Super Sentai shows now, lol.
I do watch Super Sentai and I watch his stuff like Gokaiger or Akibaranger but I feel it doesn't translate well in Active Raid.

Go watch Akibaranger one of his best underrated under appreciated work, a deconstruction of Tokusatsu tropes and history. It's what got me into watching super sentai.

After checking Anicharts I saw that Erased already aired in Japan but no signs of the subs yet. Any idea when we'll be getting that one? I thought it was today too

After checking Anicharts I saw that Erased already aired in Japan but no signs of the subs yet. Any idea when we'll be getting that one? I thought it was today too

The broadcast of the first episode of Erased was delayed an hour later than its normal starting time due to volleyball. Crunchyroll should have it up at 10:20 AM PST, i.e., in about an hour.

Norn9 Episode 1

The music and soundtrack is really good for this otome adaptation. Additionally the voice cast all around make it where I can't pin any one as a worst boy. Yuuki Kaji in the lead role as Kakeru is perfect and Koharu isn't close to being a bad otome amnesia type character so far, she smiles, laughs, doesnt wonder off alone, doesnt make bad decisions, etc.

Anyway good start, the ship is pretty awesome too and the action stuff is intriguing. Also more swimming please.
CYIe5ORWEAAiAw5.png
CYIe5WKWwAIZ5nn.png

JCG

I do watch Super Sentai and I watch his stuff like Gokaiger or Akibaranger but I feel it doesn't translate well in Active Raid.

Go watch Akibaranger one of his best underrated under appreciated work, a deconstruction of Tokusatsu tropes and history. It's what got me into watching super sentai.

It's too bad you're not digging this then, since I could see Active Raid as a live action series pretty easily.

Perhaps it'll develop more along the lines of your expectations later on, or maybe it won't. Either way, they do have a lot of time left.

Thanks for the advice. I've heard about Akibaranger and might as well check that out.

I don't think I'll ever really understand what people mean by that. I really like most BONES endings, regardless of whether they are original or faithful to the adaptations. They just do great work.

I kid around with pinpointing BONES, but more anime original ending. I think all this has is a manga but not sure if it came after or before the anime, but it just felt like an anime original ending decision. I'll wait to discuss it tomorrow because like those examples (for example blue exorcist, or even the original FMA) the thing comes out of nowhere and just feels unearned.

I kid around with pinpointing BONES, but more anime original ending. I think all this has is a manga but not sure if it came after or before the anime, but it just felt like an anime original ending decision. I'll wait to discuss it tomorrow because like those examples (for example blue exorcist, or even the original FMA) the thing comes out of nowhere and just feels unearned.

Towa no Quon is an anime-original project. I can't find any record of a manga, but if one exists it's an adaptation of the anime.

Towa no Quon is an anime-original project. I can't find any record of a manga, but if one exists it's an adaptation of the anime.

Then whoever wrote it could've done better because that ending twist was so cliched and ridiculous I stopped the video to laugh when I watched it. But once again maybe it's just me, tomorrow everybody else will get to it.

Line_HTX

I wish there was anime using NFL rules.

>:D

And seconding all who want a hockey anime also. It would make TUSR and Shin happy at least, lol

Cornbread78

The broadcast of the first episode of Erased was delayed an hour later than its normal starting time due to volleyball. Crunchyroll should have it up at 10:20 AM PST, i.e., in about an hour.

Wait, so it is today? I have to update to OT then because Anime news had it as a Fri. airing, lol.

Crocodile

Active Raid ep 1
What I get is a Centurions + Tiger and Bunny + Tokusatsu'ish combination of disappointment. One of the most long boring banter between characters trying to crackdown on 2 punks and of course unimpressive animation and butt ugly janky 3d models.

This sounds like these awesome thing should add together to make something even more awesome. A shame that doesn't appear to be the case but I'll have to decide for myself later.

Even sad endings need to be earned, but it feels like a lot FMA2003's bittersweet endings stem from a plot that doesn't know how to wrap things up neatly because characters needed to be repurposed.

Like how Hughes gets murdered by Envy and Sheska(?!) spends a lot of time on a quest for justice. So how does that get paid off? Eventually Envy winds up killing Ed too, turning into a dragon, and getting skewered by a bunch of Nazis. So it's not a happy ending, but it's not very satisfying as a sad ending either.

This guy gets it <3

Line_HTX

Just watched PSO2 episode 01 and you know what.

The gaf title is actually correct! this show just use a crappy story to tell you how to play the game lol.

Tutorial episode for those yearning for Sega to bring it over for US English instead of that SE Asia English version.

Off to a better start than the other MMO anime at least.

Squishy3

-edit- And because the news just doesn't stop coming, apparently Funi are relaunching their video services in the next month or so, including streaming to the UK. Huuuuuuuuh....
I can't wait for this to inevitably delay simulcasts

yes i'm mad about dagashi kashi, considering it's the only show i care about that funi is simulcasting

Active Raid - 01

I like the chemistry between the two male leads during the fight. CGI didn't look so hot.
The girl that randomly throws in an engrish word in her sentences is a plus in my book. I need more engrish.
Me watching this is going to depend entirely on how much goofy dumb shit there's going to be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom