• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiGiKerot

I know rationally that Escaflowne has comparatively little historic significance for more recent anime fans, and I do understand why it is unlikely to be a priority; it just saddens me a little, really, that my favourite show has the promise of a "definitive" release as yet unfulfilled :(

I've always assumed, if I'm honest, that Anime Limited were waiting for Funimation to produce something they could clone. I've pre-ordered both the Gankutsuou and Noein BD sets that are coming out this month to replace my DVDs (not that I will ever rewatch them, but it's the principle of supporting good shows!), both of which I believe are carbon copies of the Funimation releases - although that's just off the top of my head.

It's depends on the title, honestly. I mean, the recent Full Metal Panic set used (one of) the Funimation masters as well, though in that case, there's been relatively cheap Zone A/B encoded BDs for the whole thing easily available for years. They're both personally my scene, but Gankutsuou and Noein are, even compared to an old show like Escaflowne, probably way too boutique to consider ploughing their own way on given they likely won't sell numbers enough to recoup mastering costs on. If something is really broken, then maybe they'll do their own disks (I've had conversations about the nightmares caused by QC'ing DRRR given that most of other releases they had access to have subtitle issues of varying degrees). That's business as usual for most of the U.K. Industry, though, as we're usually reliant on dubs and subtitles coming from the US, you aren't going to beat them to market, so why bother with the additional expense?

Escaflowne, on the other hand, as old as it is at this point, still has at least some degree of cache. As with Cowboy Bebop or Outlaw Star (the later of which they actually made new NTSC DVD disk masters for), there's probably actually a real benefit for them to beating Funimation to the punch by releasing them first. The last thing they particularly want is Funimation releasing the exact same disk content before them, particularly if the disks end up being A/B encoded to prevent having to spend additional mastering costs. If it wasn't for the matter of being allowed to include those DC episodes, they'd literally have nothing to be waiting on anyone other than Sunrise on, but since they exist, it does add a bunch of headaches. They can't really not include them, and I wouldn't be shocked if they've been taking it slow because they were informed that Funi were working on something that would be an actual value add imminently,

But *shrug*, it's been frustrating me too.

JCG

Active Raid seems to have a shoestring budget, going by the OP, but then again I'll always prefer that to something like Guilty Crown where the OPs/EDs are pretty well done yet the show itself is absolute crap despite all the animation artistry involved.

javac

Funimation changed their logo.
RvdowPW.jpg
Also my first post in the new thread? :$
EDIT:
Get ready anime fans, 2016 is gonna be a big year!

And what better way to celebrate the start of a big year than with some big changes? You may have already seen one of them: our new logo! You’ll see more of this rolling out during 2016 as we unveil the new look of Funimation. That being said, our new look is only the beginning. The changes we make from here on out aren’t just skin deep – they’re all about giving you a more intuitive, reliable and FUN experience to discover, watch and connect with anime. We believe anime fans deserve the best, and we hope you’re as excited as we are for what’s coming up next!

As we move through the month you’ll start to see this new logo popping up everywhere we are. But in the meantime, keep an eye out for some more big news coming later today: there’s much more news in the New Year for Funimation, and we want to keep you in the loop!

To jumpstart this year of change, we’re temporarily extending our free trial offer from 14 days to 30 days. That means you can start your subscription now and your trial will take you all the way through the launch of our new mobile apps! (More on that in our big announcement later today.) Plus, you can start watching all of the amazing shows in our new winter season, like Dimension W, Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash, Pandora in the Crimson Shell Ghost Urn, Snow White with the Red Hair, and more!
funimation.com
PuoJBN9.png

Active Raid seems to have a shoestring budget, going by the OP, but then again I'll always prefer that to something like Guilty Crown where the OPs/EDs are pretty well done yet the show itself is absolute crap despite all the animation artistry involved.

I was looking forward to seeing your spin. :)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So I have to remake and replace all the icons in the OP.

They better send me compensation for all that hard work!

duckroll

Towa no Quon - Episode 4

There's some really nice action storyboarding here, even though the animation isn't super polished. The transformation effects with the fire and stuff towards the end was pretty solid though. The story events were really predictable, but it doesn't feel like this show is trying to pull surprises or anything. It's a pretty straightforward mutant superhero story with emphasis on the themes of redemption and survival, along with action set pieces. What did bother me is how totally moronic Quon's actions are. For a guy who's supposed to have lived forever, he seems completely dense. It's really poor characterization, and even though they make it a point to show how flawed his ideas are and the price that comes with it, it still feels super dumb. Worst part of the story by far.

But I'm starting to feel it..... I'm starting to.... FEEL ROCK EMOTION... BURNING ROCK EMOTION.

Defuser

Phantom Myriad whatever world ep 1

9T1kgIr.gif

Trash, pure trash. They show boob jiggling, fondling but can't show panty shots. Ruru or what her face is annoying.

Man, why can't KyoAni actually do a good original action show instead of this? Kinda wasting their talents.

Qurupeke

It seems I missed some culture robots and Phantom World avatars the last few hours. :(

Also, Dagashi Kashi was obviously delayed because we weren't ready for it after Phantom World's lewdness.

Watch Odin: Photon Space Sailer Starlight. It's about the quality I expect from most mecha anime.

I should have probably mentioned that I don't really plan to watch stuff that's older than me. It's not that I find it bad, but it's really hard for me to enjoy them when they look like that.

I should have probably mentioned that I don't really plan to watch stuff that's older than me. It's not that I find it bad, but it's really hard for me to enjoy them when they look like that.

Naw, man. It's reallllyyyy good. Quality stuff. Very.. uh.. action packed.

It's also complete garbage and makes most of the "bad" anime suggestions on here look tame.

Trash, pure trash. They show boob jiggling, fondling but can't show panty shots. Ruru or what her face is annoying.

I think I'm confused, but not sure yet.

Towa no Quon - Episode 4

There's some really nice action storyboarding here, even though the animation isn't super polished. The transformation effects with the fire and stuff towards the end was pretty solid though. The story events were really predictable, but it doesn't feel like this show is trying to pull surprises or anything. It's a pretty straightforward mutant superhero story with emphasis on the themes of redemption and survival, along with action set pieces. What did bother me is how totally moronic Quon's actions are. For a guy who's supposed to have lived forever, he seems completely dense. It's really poor characterization, and even though they make it a point to show how flawed his ideas are and the price that comes with it, it still feels super dumb. Worst part of the story by far.

But I'm starting to feel it..... I'm starting to.... FEEL ROCK EMOTION... BURNING ROCK EMOTION.
I gave him so leeway on being stupid cause he has seems nigh unkillable.

Qurupeke

Dagashi Kashi isn't even lewd from what I've seen from manga impressions. Unless you find a girl having hots over candy lewd.

I've actually read the first few chapters and yeah, it's not really lewd. That said, Hotaru is weird, in a good way.

It's not like it's not lewd at all though....

Prince of Stride: Alternative 1

I decided to check this out due to the fact that this season seems really weak, and because it got some good impressions. After watching it though, it's clearly not a show for me. First of all, it feels incredibly generic, with the whole "our club used to be amazing but now it sucks and we need to revive it" premise and the generic characters. The direction helps to differentiate it a bit, but I really wasn't a fan of it. The weird, super detailed and super short sakuga shots immediately cutting into incredibly bad animation was a particular detail that left a bad impression.

I didn't notice anything like that. Some of the background crowd art looked rough, as is not uncommon for anime, but otherwise the character art was good (I really like Sakurai's face) and the important moments, particularly the race, had good animation, with some nice distorted layouts to emphasize the sense of speed going on.

The biggest problem though, are the characters. All of them look incredibly one note and not a single one seems interesting. I mean, when the only defining characteristic of one of the main characters is that he likes to molest other people's legs, I just don't see how you can make him interesting or believable. The only character that actually acted like a human being was the stride club leader, but even he did not seem interesting at all.

For an episode which was very efficient at getting the club going and getting right into Stride action, I thought it did just enough work to establish the main characters properly. Your comment is a bit unfair to Fujiwara; his habit of testing calf strength certainly stands out, but that's just an outgrowth of his main defining characteristic, which is his intensely focused and serious personality, driven to do exactly what he needs to do to accomplish his goals. He seems like a good foil for the playful and light-hearted Yagami. Speaking of Yagami, I like the subtle hint of his backstory dropped when the Stride Club members recognized his last name and the camera cut to a scratched-out locker nameplate - it wasn't emphasized, but it hints that he likely has an older brother who was previously in the Stride Club, and that made him reluctant to participate in this club. I assume that'll be more fully explored later in the show.

Also, the whole stride thing just felt dumb. The show made it rather clear that no one cared about the club anymore, and yet all they have to do is announce a race and the whole school immediately drops everything they were doing to go watch and help with preparations. All in all, unless it improves drastically, I won't be continuing.

Stride is something of a silly sport, but if you're going to make up a fictional sport you might as well do one that looks cool and provides opportunities for varied situations. The fact that intense preparations for the race were carried out so quickly is rather incredible, but the school's reaction itself is pretty believable - if the club has been out of commission for a while and then suddenly comes back, that'll naturally pique curiosity.

But what attracts me to the show most of all is the very sharp music and sound direction throughout. Most film and especially most TV is not too precise about its use of music, so to see something that so closely matches its music timing to the events on screen is gratifying. Just as an example, as the racers approached the finish line, the music rose in pitch and the percussion intensified in rhythm until the moment when they hit the finish, where the percussion cut out and the strings reached a triumphant plateau and did a brief coda to emphasize the moment. That kind of attention to detail impresses me, and if the show keeps that up over its run, I'm sure to be happy with it.

Manga 'Days' Gets TV Anime Adaptation

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1470089

Fuck Yes we're getting a Football anime. Yesssss!

Now I just need a Hockey anime. Cmon Japan you can do it.

Youre making it seem like soccer anime is a new frontier.

Im so glad we are getting a soccer anime after the recent drought, hopefully its as good as GINGA E KICKOFF a must watch, though I have a fear Days will be like Area no Kishi and have an incomplete ending, ugh. It was so good.

Towa no Quon - Episode 4

FEEEEEEEEEEEEEL ROCK EMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTION!

Wait for episode 5 when it goes full BONES original ending-like

TUSR

Banned
Dagashi Kashi got pushed to Mondays because FUNI saw how popular Myriad Colors was and wanted to increase the time between their respective simulcasts.

Youre making it seem like soccer anime is a new frontier.

Im so glad we are getting a soccer anime after the recent drought, hopefully its as good as GINGA E KICKOFF a must watch, though I have a fear Days will be like Area no Kishi and have an incomplete ending, ugh. It was so good.

Have you seen Inazuma Eleven, by any chance DTL? I imagine that would be a show you'd be really into.

Active Raid Episode 1

Akino with Bless 4 did a good song and the visuals were decent but I prefer the excitement from the one done for Amaburi more. It was more exciting.

Decent episode 1 but probably forgetable, Kuroki was the most interesting character of the mix followed by Sena but otherwise dull. Will keep watching.

Qurupeke

Active Raid 1

I didn't like it at all. The main girl was awful and she had a tendency to speak horrible Engrish too. I can't. It looked bland and full of CG and I didn't really like any characters. It also had a weird CG girl-mascot at the end.

The only good thing was that it did remind me a bit of Code Geass' Lancelot's first fight... at least before they started to joke about everything.

Also, it does NOT have giant CG robots. It's just naked men that use some kind of CG suit.

I guess I'll probably drop it and hope for some good impressions...

Active Raid 1

I didn't like it at all. The main girl was awful and she had a tendency to speak horrible Engrish too. I can't. It looked bland and full of CG and I didn't really like any characters. It also had a weird CG girl-mascot at the end.

The only good thing was that it did remind me a bit of Code Geass' Lancelot's first fight... at least before they started to joke about everything.

Also, it does NOT have giant CG robots. It's just naked men that use some kind of CG suit.

I guess I'll probably drop it and hope for some good impressions...

How is that a bad thing?

duckroll

FEEEEEEEEEEEEEL ROCK EMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTION!

Wait for episode 5 when it goes full BONES original ending-like

I don't think I'll ever really understand what people mean by that. I really like most BONES endings, regardless of whether they are original or faithful to the adaptations. They just do great work.

Qurupeke

Wait what is that lol? Can you clarify further?

There aren't any mechas so far. Not sure about the villains, but the protagonists were mostly naked in a room, weird suit made of nanomachines(?) was attached to their bodies and then they got more mechanical parts over it.

There aren't any mechas so far. Not sure about the villains, but the protagonists were mostly naked in a room, weird suit made of nanomachines(?) was attached to their bodies and then they got more mechanical parts over it.

Just messaged BGBW to change the OP about it.

Apparently what it is is just Iron-Man-like robotic suits as opposed to actual mecha.

Ah that makes sense, thanks for explaining.

Iron Man robotic suits instead of Mechas.

I'm definitely more interested now. Plus isn't Orange doing the CGI because they're pretty great.

Sölf

Musaigen no Phantom World 01
Eh, that was okay, I guess. Not to bad, but the worst KyoAni show I've seen so far. Will watch a few more episodes, maybe it gets better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom