• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Yeah too true, I feel i this movie actually has a decent budget we may get some surprising good fight scenes out of this. I felt felt with this series at least when they actually had the budget and put the effort into it, the choregraphy was surprisingly good in the.

Budget probably has little to do with it. I doubt Crimson Moon is particularly cheaper to make given the staff attached, they're just doing a shitty job. Remember that whether or not we end up liking something or whether it has great action direction in it or not usually has more to do with the talent and taste of the director and the people in charge of the fights. You don't get paid more just because you did a nice fight!

What is more important is that the movie has the same core staff that made the first anime, so hopefully they also reserved all the animators who did the major fights in the series for the movie ahead of time. Sung Hoo Park, Takahiro Shikama, and Takafumi Hori are the animators who had a big influence on how certain key episodes of the show turned out animation-wise, and the episodes which the director Yuichiro Hayashi storyboarded himself were all on point even without great animators working on them, so if the same people are on board for the movie, it should be pretty great.

Gundam IBO 18

Way to go Kudellia. Stopping them fools with just a few words, even Mika was surprised. The masked guy being who it is completely caught me off guard. Also LOL Mika at the end. What a baller. Why pick one when you can have both ahaha.

Quasar

It's infuriating watching Grimgar because of how incompetent the group is. It would be like watching a stream of some idiot playing Dark Souls and failing at the most basic of functions and strategies. Actually that might be more entertaining as the idiot probably wouldn't be crying the entire stream.

It's just such a scrubby group. It's five episodes in and I haven't seen anything approaching an actual strategy from them.

I see that as a feature, not a bug.

Cornbread78

Steins Gate ep.6
Wait, so awkward girl joined the mad scientist's harem now as well, huh? Dude attracts the ladies like crazy. At least we're starting to get the cast together, but, I really want a look into SERN.

Towa no Quon 4

I can't bring myself to care about any of this angst and drama. The ideas are there, but the execution just isn't. It's not that it's terrible, it's just so middle-of-the-road. Having a brief flashback to the cool scene at the beginning of the first episode was a bad idea, as it just reminds me of how we've had fewer and fewer cool visuals as the series has gone on. The action at the end of this episode wasn't poorly animated, but neither the storyboarding nor the animation was really noteworthy either. I hoped that things were leading to a place where the last two episodes would both have some fabulous animation again, but it looks like next episode will probably be at about the same quality as this one. Oh well.

Also, Quon's "gotta save everyone" obsession has become way too dangerous to everyone around him.

Budget probably has little to do with it. I doubt Crimson Moon is particularly cheaper to make given the staff attached, they're just doing a shitty job. Remember that whether or not we end up liking something or whether it has great action direction in it or not usually has more to do with the talent and taste of the director and the people in charge of the fights. You don't get paid more just because you did a nice fight!

What is more important is that the movie has the same core staff that made the first anime, so hopefully they also reserved all the animators who did the major fights in the series for the movie ahead of time. Sung Hoo Park, Takahiro Shikama, and Takafumi Hori are the animators who had a big influence on how certain key episodes of the show turned out animation-wise, and the episodes which the director Yuichiro Hayashi storyboarded himself were all on point even without great animators working on them, so if the same people are on board for the movie, it should be pretty great.

I feel like they have someone on staff, who is in every part of production, whose job is just to say "Eh fuck it, that's good enough."

Best HeroAca character was revealed. Next season hurry.
CaqDobkUcAIpwms.jpg:large

Principate

Saint Titanfall

I do get the feeling the movie has the potential to be pretty great all things considered, the season ended with all major characters being reasonably well developed, some more so than others with most character arcs being complete. The only lose threads were Leon's and Ema's relationship, and Leon's half brother. The intimate nature of the show and tendency to focus on smaller, stories and character development, really leaves this movie with little in the way of baggage. With the right staff as you mentioned, they have ability to tell a very fleshed out and character driven story, likely continung the main theme of personal and emtional, needs and wants vs responsibilty. No really need to tell a large bloated story

Dimension W 05

This show continues to do great. This episode in particular showed us what the dimension w can do to the real world
*what if this too is a world created by a coil though*

This show is keeping its secrets well locked up, and just like Mira I too still wonder why Kyouma hates coils so much. This episode added a whole new layer of crazy things that they can pull out of their sleeves for us with the dimension w. Good stuff.

Cornbread78

Cat Planet Cuties ep.9
Shit tier pacing. Why do we care about sone kind of civil war that happened with the Assitabots hundreds of years ago? Uggh, I want my 20 mins back.

Concrete Revolutio 11

Washed out the generic taste of Towa no Quon with this much more interesting BONES superhero series. Jiro is actually similar to Quon in some ways, but he's a much better character.

This was the first episode where I felt like I missed something though. Has Claude shown up at all before now?

What's Garo all about? I never really checked it out or anything but I see a lot of you talking about it. I'm wondering if it'd be something that I'd enjoy... Anyway.

Grimgar 05

These kids are completely lost without Manato. That scene under the rain though. It's gonna be interesting where the show goes from here. I want to see Haruhiro take a lead now. After seeing how OP that other dude is, after refusing to take the gold, after opening up to Yume. Yup, I really like this show lol. Sorry guys.

duckroll

Concrete Revolutio 11

Washed out the generic taste of Towa no Quon with this much more interesting BONES superhero series. Jiro is actually similar to Quon in some ways, but he's a much better character.

This was the first episode where I felt like I missed something though. Has Claude shown up at all before now?

No, Claude is a new character as far as the audience goes. As to why it seems many of the characters seem to know who he is, you'll find out...

What's Garo all about? I never really checked it out or anything but I see a lot of you talking about it. I'm wondering if it'd be something that I'd enjoy.

Imagine if Berserk, Dark Souls, and a Super Sentai show got mixed into one.

That's basically how I'd describe Garo the Animation.

Yep, Crimson Moon is probably the most consistently ugly show I've seen in a while.

Imagine if Berserk, Dark Souls, and a Super Sentai show got mixed into one.

That's basically how I'd describe Garo the Animation.

I was cool with Berserk, excited with Dark Souls, but the Super Sentai made me raise my eyebrow LOL. I can't see it. Still I'm curious about it. Afik there is a series, a movie, and then another series that is currently airing right?

Aki-at

Grimgar - 5
These guys suck so badly but that's probably why I'm enjoying this show, they aren't the group who can slay the legendary dragon in a few episodes or can come up with a decent strategy to save their lives. They're just a bunch of average civilians who just so happen to be stuck trying to fight for their lives and like 90% of people suck really badly at it.

That being said the pacing for this show has been all over the place, it felt better for me when I just caught up from episode 2 to 4 then waiting for the next episode. Having everyone
still cry over a dead party member
but I am glad the MC
rejected the gold coin, that sort of hand holding would just screw them up further
. At least the introduction of Mary means they finally have someone with an idea of the basics. Going to be interesting to see where this team ends up.

Dimension W
Kooky pseudo-science is one of my guilty pleasures and this left my mind full of wat. I actually thought
the girl falling into a ditch and then appearing to hold the coil was something that was overlooked
but glad they showed what it really was. Another enjoyable episode with some cool scenes, I felt the whole
coil reality and real reality could be one of those season finales so I'm interested to see where this goes from here.

Kyoma final line to the ghost guy was ice cold, loved that.

I was cool with Berserk, excited with Dark Souls, but the Super Sentai made me raise my eyebrow LOL. I can't see it. Still I'm curious about it. Afik there is a series, a movie, and then another series that is currently airing right?

Garo is an established tokusatsu franchise. Most of the TV series in the Garo franchise are live-action; the Garo anime shows actually run in the same late-night timeslot on TV Tokyo that the live-action shows do. It airs late-night because it's specifically designed to have a darker bent than other tokusatsu shows such as Kamen RIder, incorporating "edgy" content such as violence and sex. The two Garo anime series use the established mythos of the franchise such as Makai Knights, but otherwise have no connection with each other or with any of the live-action shows. What in English is called Garo the Animation is set in a medieval European style fantasy kingdom. That's the one to watch.

Garo is an established tokusatsu franchise. Most of the TV series in the Garo franchise are live-action; the Garo anime shows actually run in the same late-night timeslot on TV Tokyo that the live-action shows do. It airs late-night because it's specifically designed to have a darker bent than other tokusatsu shows such as Kamen RIder, incorporating "edgy" content such as violence and sex. The two Garo anime series use the established mythos of the franchise such as Makai Knights, but otherwise have no connection with each other or with any of the live-action shows. What in English is called Garo the Animation is set in a medieval European style fantasy kingdom. That's the one to watch.

Ahh gotcha so there's more to this series than I thought. The discussion here is on The Animation, and this new season that is out now I assume. I like me a good fantasy show, and the fact that it is set in Europe back in the medieval times like you said really makes me want to check it out. Now the question is, is it good?

Droplet

Ahh gotcha so there's more to this series than I thought. The discussion here is on The Animation, and this new season that is out now I assume. I like me a good fantasy show, and the fact that it is set in Europe back in the medieval times like you said really makes me want to check it out. Now the question is, is it good?

I stopped watching it and forgot to pick it back up again, but I liked what I saw. I think you'd like it?

Yes, it kicks into high gear roughly halfway through. It was one of my favorite shows last year. Avoid Crimson Moon.

Did you finish Berserk already?

Cornbread78

Steins Gate ep.7
So he tried to get some free money by
sending the lottery numbers to the past
he succeeded but the whole time line convergence took over
and now nothing changed on his current timeline and nobody even remembers the experiment other than him.
The question remains, who really is John Tutor and why is he calling Okabe the Messiah? Also, Mayuri is great, I hope she's not killed off due to an errand experiment later; I can already see it happening...

Hosanna tends to not sit through or recommend bad shows.

I stopped watching it and forgot to pick it back up again, but I liked what I saw. I think you'd like it?

Yes, it kicks into high gear roughly halfway through. It was one of my favorite shows last year. Avoid Crimson Moon.

Did you finish Berserk already?

Sounds great. Gonna jot it down so I can check it out one of these days. Maybe tomorrow... And to answer your question CheapJuice, I haven't. Shoved it on the backlog way back when I was watching From The New World during the Christmas holidays and never got back to it. That's something I really need to get back to also.

duckroll

I don't really think there's any Sentai in Garo at all. Tokusatsu and Sentai isn't the same thing. Tokusatsu refers to the entire overall medium (not really a genre) of Japanese live action shows with emphasis on special effects (monsters, costumes, transformations, etc). Sentai on the other hand is specifically the genre of color-themed hero teams in Tokusatsu. Basically Power Rangers.

Must we really Dark Souls everything?

Why can't we Revengence or Musou something for a change? Why's it always gotta be Dark Souls?

It's the only videogame with something to say.

Eh? Wouldn't something more fast paced like character action or mousu be far more appropriate?

Because it's the game Hellwarden drew a comparison to. It was a joke. Not sure if you guys are actually taking it seriously lol.

Have you not seen the Dark Souls of Mecha?
M3: That Dark Metal

I thought it was Aldnoah. Because I know something in me kept dying over and over every time I watched it.

It's the only videogame with something to say.

The only thing Dark Souls told me was to keep praising the sun! That sure worked wonders when I found myself trapped at the bottom of Blightown, poisoned, near a bonfire close to the boss, and (IIRC) cursed with no easy means of returning to Firelink Shrine!

Have you not seen the Dark Souls of Mecha?
M3: That Dark Metal

Well it IS very difficult to watch, from what I've heard.

Concrete Revolutio 13

Great way to do a mid-series climax. I liked how all the various stories from the season were tied together into a big event that brought to the fore both the thematic issues the show has been dealing with as well as the big narrative event it's been teasing (what caused Jiro to split from the Bureau). For some of the rumblings I've heard about this show being something of a mess, it actually seems rather tightly written and planned to me, at least up to this point. We'll see where the second season goes. I'm looking forward to it.

Also, the very last shot is super cool looking.

blurr

Haibane Renmei 01

That wing sprouting scene was pretty intense but it made me want a Franken Fran anime.

My favorite show. First episode was very atmospheric, almost everything gave this familiar feeling. Including the wing sprouting scene. Maybe it is symbolic to when we are born.

Maybe I saw it on Animax years ago and forgot about it (strong feeling this is true but I still think it is symbolic).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom