• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're not excited for a Keijo anime, you should probably just stop watching anime because you obviously don't deserve it.

Butt wrestling 4 lyfe

I haven't watched the last episode, but she's basically scenery for most of the show. She just stands around and says nothing for long periods. Maybe she had some semblance of a character come through via the game's narration, but she's emptier than most self-insert characters in the show.

The anime staff have said they specifically changed the main character from being Sakurai, as it is in the game, to being Riku for the anime. So I don't imagine giving Sakurai a lot of attention was a priority for them.

BBK/BRNK 5

Please tell me
that he only stole her first kiss because I'm hella creeped out.
I feel like their conversation was clearly implying they did more but I didn't think to hard about it outside of ex-boyfriend and girlfriend fighting over their past with each other.

phaze

^lol

Really? To me it was just technobabble fiction stuff about the super coil creating an alternate reality, and its inhabitants somehow deciding to go and murder people on the other side. Mostly exploring how weird and dangerous coils and the dimension W they derive their power from can actually be.
It's just that, even within the logic of that technobabble there were things that transpired in a way that I didn't quite get. Enamori teleporting from under the road to that sunking building for one.

I still can't say I like the way the show handles Mira, since she has some serious and/or heartwarming moments, but there's also some weird sexualization of this robot that looks like a young girl that certainly creeps me out a bit. It isn't that I can't stand this kind of fanservice in general, but it feels really out of place in Dimension W.

It is indeed obnoxious and so far my biggest mark against the show.

Afro Samurai: Resurrection

014366r6k9w.jpg
014364ahsbn.jpg
014368dks6z.jpg
014379m6kae.jpg

It's like Ninja Scroll but slightly less bad.

Except that ending which was really horrendous and features one of the most ridiculous 180 degree turns from a character I've seen.

Afro samurai is a property that should have been way better than it was.

Main character design? Cool
Headband rules system? Also cool
Animation? Pretty damn good
Everything else? DOGSHIT

JulianImp

It's just that, even within the logic of that technobabble there were things that transpired in a way that I didn't quite get. Enamori teleporting from under the road to that sunking building for one.

It is indeed obnoxious and so far my biggest mark against the show.

I just went with the flow with that weird teleportation thing, since it sounds like coils can do whatever's convenient for the plot anyway, and seeing the MC hurt ghosts by soaking his feet in mineral water kind of proves this (it was kind of cool, but still... what the hell was that?!).

Mira getting lots of male gaze shots during most episodes and both the OP and ED just doesn't feel right, since it feels horribly out of character for her. It'd kind of make more sense if she was a character that was visibily flaunting and taking advantage of her sexuality, but as it is it looks like a very cheap and sad trick that hits all the wrong spots.

I mean I can even get why there's male gaze in stuff such as To Love Ru, but Dimension W doesn't strike me as a show where blatant fanservice involving young girls is actually relevant to the show's main themes at all. It's a staple cyberpunk mystery with eldritch horror elements, and interspacing that with shots of Mira wearning nothing or showing her butt crack during the ending strikes me as awful taste, and it can't even be handwaved by Mira being a robot since the show makes it obvious that she's almost a human concerning the range of emotions she can feel.

Ascheroth

I just went with the flow with that weird teleportation thing, since it sounds like coils can do whatever's convenient for the plot anyway, and seeing the MC hurt ghosts by soaking his feet in mineral water kind of proves this (it was kind of cool, but still... what the hell was that?!).

Mira getting lots of male gaze shots during most episodes and both the OP and ED just doesn't feel right, since it feels horribly out of character for her. It'd kind of make more sense if she was a character that was visibily flaunting and taking advantage of her sexuality, but as it is it looks like a very cheap and sad trick that hits all the wrong spots.

I mean I can even get why there's male gaze in stuff such as To Love Ru, but Dimension W doesn't strike me as a show where blatant fanservice involving young girls is actually relevant to the show's main themes at all. It's a staple cyberpunk mystery with eldritch horror elements, and interspacing that with shots of Mira wearning nothing or showing her butt crack during the ending strikes me as awful taste, and it can't even be handwaved by Mira being a robot since the show makes it obvious that she's almost a human concerning the range of emotions she can feel.

The mineral water thing made sense to me, tough.
As far as I understood, the 'ghosts' were basically the people from the other possible reality/dimension given form by the lakewater that was powered by the coil.
So they used normal water so that it mixes/interferes with the coilpowered water so that they can't keep up their manifestation in reality.
Or something.

I do agree about the malegaze. It feels completely unnecessary in a show like this.

Is Snow White actually good? Watched the first ep recently, didn't really grab me.

Depends on what you want from a romance anime. It throws out some tropes associated with genre, but clings fast to others.

I like it, but I could see why some people don't.

It's pretty obvious why Mira gets the attention she does: the animators want to draw her.

Is Snow White actually good? Watched the first ep recently, didn't really grab me.

It's really not. Watch Yona of the Dawn instead.

tuffy

It's pretty obvious why Mira gets the attention she does: the animators want to draw her.
That's what I was thinking, though it's funny how they consistently undercut the fanservice scenes by emphasizing that her body is not remotely human. The ED's closeup of her backside has that prehensile tail-like thing front-and-center. Her head got detached a couple episodes back. And even an undeserved punch was enough to hurt Kyoma's hand rather than inflict harm.

I made a thread about Osamu Dezaki, but it sank pretty fast. I thought I'd just share the info from the post here since it will be more easily seen and discussed if anyone is interested.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1180370
R2xykX0.jpg

Dezaki started out as a manga artist while still in high school. In 1963 he joined Mushi Production, which was founded by manga and anime pioneer Osamu Tezuka. His made his debut as a director in 1970 with Ashita no Joe.[3]

Dezaki was known for his distinct visual style, which makes use of split screen, stark lighting, extensive use of dutch angle, and pastel freeze frames that he called "postcard memories", which may be his most famous trademark. They feature a process whereby the screen fades into a detailed "painting" of the simpler original animation. Many of his techniques became popular and came to be seen as special techniques of Japanese animation. He particularly influenced Yoshiaki Kawajiri,[4] Yoshiyuki Tomino,[5] Ryūtarō Nakamura, Noriyuki Abe, Kunihiko Ikuhara,[6] Akiyuki Shinbo,[7] and Yutaka Yamamoto.[7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osamu_Dezaki

Nobody’s Boy: Remi / Ie Naki Ko Remi 1977-1978
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=2130
YCoNaKA.jpg

Summary:
Remi lives with his mother in a French village. His father, Barberin, works in Paris. When he returns wounded and hard-hearted, Remi discovers he is actually a foundling. Barberin sells Remi to a traveling artist, Vitalis, and his animals troop. Heart-broken Remi leaves his home to face the hardships of a traveling artist's life. In Vitalis Remi finds the father he lacks. Tragedies strike one after another to leave Remi alone with the faithful dog Capi. Between staying with a family of gardeners, where he gets attached to the youngest mute daughter Lise, and traveling with his best friend Mattia, earning his living by playing the harp, Remi searches for a place in life... Until he discovers his real parents may be alive, and undertakes a perilous journey to London in search of his family.

Review: I’m usually pretty hesitant to begin television shows that run around 50 episodes and there’s not a lot that is obviously appealing about this show from the outset. I knew only a few episodes into this that I’d be in for the long haul and this ended up being one of my favorite animated TV shows I’ve ever seen. The shit that Remi must go through is unfathomable and yet the optimism of Remi pulls you through all the way to one of the most satisfying endings I’ve seen. “It’s always good-bye and living is a struggle” are lyrics from the theme song and I’d say it really suits the show. Notably, all of Dezaki’s trademark animation effects are here with postcard memories and beautiful multilayered scrolling backgrounds. Apparently they developed a new technique for this show and you’ll see it come up quite a bit.

The Rose of Versailles / Versailles no Bara 1979-1980
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=451
7dHfR4D.jpg

Summary:
Raised from birth as a man, the Lady Oscar commands the palace guards at Versailles in the years before the French Revolution. Her beauty and noble spirit make her a shining figure in the eyes of both men and women but she is torn between her chosen life of service and duty to class and country and her own heart and desires. She lives as a noble amidst the opulence of Versailles but her keen senses and compassion are not blinded to the poverty of the French people.

Thoughts: I’ve just started this show as of yesterday. The animation isn’t as technically impressive as Remi, but I’ve read that Dezaki isn’t directing until around episode 19 or so. Really excited to see this one as it must have a good reason for it’s huge following. You’ll recognize its influence in Revolutionary Girl Utena!

Space Adventure Cobra 1982-1983
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=612
kdaD7j9.jpg

Summary:
Cobra is very known space pirate, but decides to change his face and to clear all his memories. He becomes a common guy, with a common job, and a very boring life, but suddenly he starts remembering his true identity and new adventures begin.

Review: Where do I even begin? To me, this is the ideal space opera / action anime. A little bit of Lupin, a little bit of 007 and a whole lot of amazing alien worlds to visit! Cobra as a character is immediately appealing, the background artwork is sublime and the BGM and OP/ED are top notch. If you have any interest in pulp scifi you’ve got to watch the 80s Space Adventure Cobra TV series. The movie of the same name is also fun, but I was upset that Cobra had a different voice actor.

Hakugei: Legend of the Moby Dick / Hakugei Densetsu 1997-1999
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=1655
S7P146R.jpg

Summary:
In 4699, spaceships drifting in space go by the name of whales. Ahab Whale Hunting Company is a whale-hunting company led by a prominent whale hunter Ahab. One day, a child named Lucky comes to Ahab, asking him to rescue Mohd, his home planet in danger. Ahab sets off to the planet to battle against "Moby Dick", the spaceship armed with planet-annihilating artilleries also known as"White Devil". Actually Moby Dick is Ahab's old enemy with deprived him of his leg and eye.

Review: This might be the weakest of shows I’ve seen that Dezaki is involved in and yet I still enjoyed it a great bit when I snagged all the DVDs for real cheap back in the day. I’d say the highlight of this one is probably the artwork and animation even if it’s not always firing on all cylinders. I also didn’t really care for the young child main character as he’s a bit grating. The setting feels a lot like the world of Cowboy Bebop or Outlaw Star so if you enjoyed those you might want to give this a look. Again, not really anything that impressive, but a fun show to watch an episode of each night before bed. Nice atmosphere too.

Black Jack OAV 1993-2000
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=525
bZXxSz4.jpg

Summary:
Black Jack is the mysterious doctor whose past is unknown, but skills are legendary. The rich and powerful seek him to help when conventional doctors fail, but rumor says he isn't even licensed.

Thoughts: If you already know Black Jack this take on the character is a bit darker both art-wise and features plots that are a bit more dark / mature than the previous series. There’s also a movie which follows this longer OAV series. I’ve only seen half of it so far, but I can’t wait to see the rest as Black Jack always entertains. Great production values here.

Other works:
Astro Boy (original series)
Lupin the 3rd
Oniisama e
Ashita no Joe
Golgo 13 movie / Queen Bee OAV
Belladonna
A Thousand & One Nights
Aim for the Ace!
Treasure Island TV
Oniisama e

I'm still chipping away at his stuff now that I know I like him. Has anyone seen his other stuff that I didn't mention here? Please share your thoughts!

lfK1Y9R.gif

pbayne

Gundam IBO 18

One of the best episodes yet. Lots of great character moments and i can't believe I care for the whole Tekkadan crew as much as i do. Everyone feels important and part of the team which is so more refreshing than seeing one mc pilot lord it over everyone.

McGillis is Char at this point(though with an incredibly impractical mask). Like this has become almost a re-telling of the UC timeline now which is probably the only groan worthy moment for me to see them re-tread such familiar territory.

JulianImp

I see nothing wrong with that per se. Hell, giving her lots of different outfits to wear is nice even, but it's more like the animators want to draw female asses in spandex (OP) and loose fabric (ED), and then show her naked while showering, using her zero suit or even running around a mansion, getting grabbed by the legs by some zombie girl and later ending up chained while wearing nothing but a bath towel (oh, and they kind of torture her a little bit with those chains in case anybody happens to be into that).

Unacceptable.

Mature

Sure. The first season is pretty fluffy, conventional shojo romance— nothing to write home about, but competent enough. It's also quite nice to look at.

At the beginning of this season I didn't feel I needed more of it though.

Russ T

Banned
Man every Monday I see your guys' reactions to Osomatsu-san and then I get really excited to get home from work and watch it.

Today it's even worse 'cause I also want to get home and play more of The Witness, but that's not anime, so.

Osomatsu - 18

This kart thing was insane, and it took up pretty much the whole episode too! It went really over the top with great results and some nice animation bits.
One of my favorite episodes of this show for sure. Most recent episodes have all been great in one way or another now that I think about it. An improvement over the first half of the show I'd say.

Today's episode of Osomatsu-san was the directorial debut of Ken'ichi Fujisawa, a very talented animator, and he brought with him a bunch of other skilled animators from within the Pierrot/Naruto orbit, such as Norio Matsumoto and Arifumi Imai.

phaze

Afro samurai is a property that should have been way better than it was.

Main character design? Cool
Headband rules system? Also cool
Animation? Pretty damn good
Everything else? DOGSHIT

I dunno, the story was meant to be thoroughly campy and I think they've succeeded in that. I enjoyed the tv series for what it was, an excuse to show off some great fights in a bleak setting and let Samuel Jackson ham it up ad nauseum. I'd also extend the cool character designs to most of the cast not just Afro.

Today's episode of Osomatsu-san was the directorial debut of Ken'ichi Fujisawa, a very talented animator, and he brought with him a bunch of other skilled animators from within the Pierrot/Naruto orbit, such as Norio Matsumoto and Arifumi Imai.

Ohhh I know the guy, glad to see him moving up the cogs.

Osumatsu 18

Man, I really liked this episode. The scene with the shark-kart was hilarious and the final battle was insane, who even comes up with this stuff lol.

Interested to see if they keep the gag going for next week.

I just don't get Osomatsu. I watched the first few episode and just did not get it and don't get what everyone thinks is so damn special. It wasn't funny in the least.

I just don't get Osomatsu. I watched the first few episode and just did not get it and don't get what everyone thinks is so damn special. It wasn't funny in the least.

Humor is very much a subjective thing, especially the kind of experimental humor that Osomatsu-san uses. It's not going to be to everyone's tastes, nor should it be.

Qurupeke

I'd say that a good portion of the first 12 episodes are really awful. It didn't really click on me until quite a few episodes in. The last 5-6 episodes have been really good though.

Okay guys today I'm gonna give Garo The Animation a shot tonight. I got Shirayuki and Billions to watch, but I'm in good shape for school and whatnot. I've been strangely productive this semester, finishing everything well before it's due. Hopefully this keeps up until I go out for co-op in May.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

It's pretty simple. You accept Karamatsu is the best of the six and that's it.

pbayne

It's very Gintama/Nichijou type humour. Some jokes land, others die a death.

Though in the second cour they've kind of found a rhythm of what works and are sticking close to it and the consistency has improved dramatically.

Also Ichimatsu is best bro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom