• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

GATE 16

General Hazama going to send out ALL the reinforcements. This'll be fun, ohoho...

I hope someone exposes that fraud bunny and makes her pay. That undercover chef better take her down.

Despite all the praying and rituals and face paint, Delilah admits that she's terrible at shanking. Some Warrior Bunny she is, and damn, her and Yanagida took each other out! I thought Yanagida missed her instead of grazing when he emptied the clip.

No, no, no. That ending was nonsense. Tuka is still unstable and you're forcing her to fire an RPG at the dragon while she's still in denial? And like true GATE fashion the cliffhanger was a little frustrating because of the pacing of the episode. >_>

Clov

I made a thread about Osamu Dezaki, but it sank pretty fast. I thought I'd just share the info from the post here since it will be more easily seen and discussed if anyone is interested.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1180370

If by Belladonna you mean Belladonna of Sadness, that film was directed by Eiichi Yamamoto. It's still a great film though, and you should give it a watch if you can! Cinelicious Pics is giving it a Blu-Ray release in North America, after doing their own 4K restoration on it.

Dezaki is a fantastic director. One of the most important in the industry for sure. The Rose of Versailles is one of my favorite anime of all time, and I also really enjoyed Aim for the Ace and the Black Jack OVA+Film. I even liked his final work, that adaptation of The Tale of Genji, though I found the ending to be puzzling.

On a different note, the newest Osomatsu-san was fantastic! Great looking animation, and a lot of really funny gags. Loved the Fury Road reference, along with Dayon and Dekapan's antics this episode. Is this the first episode we've heard Dayon say something other than his name, or am I remembering wrong?

Also, there's really no need to argue about who the best Matsu is, since we already all know it's Jyushimatsu. I don't see any of the other brothers having their own festival.

Shirayuki 17

You weren't kidding about her being kidnapped from the kidnappers lol. It might sound funny, but here's hoping Shirayuki gets to somehow kick some ass soon. Lately she's just been a "damsel in distress" with all the guys going after her to help her. I want to see more of the badass Shirayuki that we saw in the first half of this show.

Jaxec

I find myself in a constant struggle over which matsu is best matsu, Juushimatsu or Karamatsu? I had originally thought the answer was Juushimatsu, but Karamatsu has grown on me so much. Also, isn't he the only brother with his own theme, that whistle thing?

Also a reminder that Totty is the spawn of Satan. Worst matsu.

Line_HTX

GATE 17

zZXVM1q.gif

Cornbread78

Bahamut ep.5
Ok, a little cliche (ok, alot) but it played out pretty well and I enjoyed it, so the entertainment value was there at least.

Kenstar

Gintama would be better if they just cut out all the 'straight man repeatedly saying out loud the joke being made/pointing out absurdity of situation for 30 seconds' shit they keep putting in there

Every damn time
not every, but too frequently
someone does something funny Shinpachi is there to comment what we should be thinking at the top of his damn voice

Fake Elizabeth hands out ID Cards proving her identity? "What? it has ID?! That's not normal! That's too weird!" Yes we get it jesus christ it's like the comedy version of the sidelines player in a sports anime thoroughly explaining every little move made during a boring back and forth between two aces

Gintama would be better if they just cut out all the 'straight man repeatedly saying out loud the joke being made/pointing out absurdity of situation for 30 seconds' shit they keep putting in there

Every damn time
someone does something funny Shinpachi is there to comment what we should be thinking at the top of his damn voice

Fake Elizabeth hands out ID Cards proving her identity? "What? it has ID?! That's not normal! That's too weird!" Yes we get it jesus christ it's like the comedy version of the sidelines player in a sports anime thoroughly explaining every little move made during a boring back and forth between two aces

It's a very Japanese thing and I don't think it particularly adds much but I got over it.

Every damn time

It's a very Japanese form of comedy - manzai, where the boke (funny guy saying stupid things) gets chided by the tsukkomi (straight man pointing out how stupid the things are). It's really ingrained into Japanese culture at large and you'll see it everywhere. Gintama actually makes a joke in one episode about Shinpachi's straight man routine making the anime unexportable to foreign countries.

sonicmj1

Hai to Gensou no Grimgar 5

I felt like this episode was a step up from the ones before it. Mary adds a good element of conflict to the party that isn't based on Ranta acting like an ass. And Ranta, shockingly enough, goes the entire episode without sexually harassing anybody. I liked seeing the guys go out, talk in circles, and begin to realize how shit they are at being a party.

The characters aren't quite where they need to be yet. For example, Haruhiro has this weird hangup about accepting gifts or handouts from anybody for any reason that doesn't feel justified or properly explained. But they're getting there. And with Mary around, parts of this episode reminded me of that low-level party arc in Log Horizon, which I thought was pretty swell. Even the emotional climax at the end of the episode felt more earned, and better directed, than the car crash of a conclusion last episode.

Maybe it'll make it an entire episode without dumb sex humor at the expense of the female ca-

Well, it came close, at least.

Cornbread78

Special A ep.1
So after a long while on hold, I decided to give this one a whirl, and really interesting first episode for a romcom. I'very seen this set-up a bunch of times before, but this one was still really interesting and fun to watch.

Sakura

I think I will drop Grimgar.
I think the pacing is too slow. They are almost halfway through the series and haven't even finished the first light novel yet.
The atmosphere is nice, but there are too many 4 minute insert song scenes, and they seem to try to drag out certain parts/make things more dramatic.

Kenstar

It's a very Japanese form of comedy - manzai, where the boke (funny guy saying stupid things) gets chided by the tsukkomi (straight man pointing out how stupid the things are). It's really ingrained into Japanese culture at large and you'll see it everywhere. Gintama actually makes a joke in one episode about Shinpachi's straight man routine making the anime unexportable to foreign countries.

I prefer the abridged backhand-to-the-chest "oi." version of manzai
Hell, fall upside down on your head in unison just dont spend 3x the joke length on it

Every damn time

That's bugging me, too, and I'm not too happy to know it's never going away. Am at ep23, so I might be close to the better stuff now at least.

Kansoku

Okitegami Kyouko

A drama that's better anime than most anime. Also felt like light SHAFT with the editing.

I've seen people post about dramas here before >.>

Szadek

Arslan Senki
It got a bit better near the end, but the production values are still holding the show back.
After a while the CG soldiers didn't really bothered me anymore, but if someone else can't get used to it, that's understandable.
To be fair, they at least use them to make some pretty cool shots every now and then.

Silvermask was a bit of a letdown, because ,the first few battles aside, his tactics weren't that impressive.
Other than that he was a pretty cool villain. I really liek his character and his conflict with Arslan.
Another disappointment was Mask's lead henchman, because he never came across as a serious threat for Daryun.

The story is pretty interesting,but has quite a few flaws. Plot convenience is a big one for instance.
It was sucks how little screen some of side characters got.

Having said all of that, I still really like this anime and I will certainly watch the sequel.
Hopefully they can fix some of these problems till then.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Grimgar 05
A really poor way to introduce a new character. Don't really get any sort of idea what her background is like, and her personality is really only pushed through highlighted anecdotes. What are the consequences to her seeming uncooperative to the group? These characters already have almost no presence in a scene, but it feels like this character is not even on the stage yet. The reasoning and purpose for her seemingly obstinate decisions get no background.

The artstyle is also just starting to grate on me. There's a lacking consistency to it when it comes to detail, and oftentimes the backgrounds just feel sloppy instead of impressionistic. It also never seems to really blend with the ugly and ill proportioned character art either.

Cornbread78

Cat Planet Cuties ep.10
Damn, shit just got real. An all out doggy bot attack on earth and in space. Everything is falling to shit for the kitty crew. How will Kio and his lovesick harem overcome these horrific odds?

Garo 01

That was really, really interesting. Now I see why Hellwarden said this had a bit of Super Sentai in it. I liked the little that this episode gave me. Basically a quick introduction to the world and main characters/antagonist. I already like the blonde bearded dude lol.

Cornbread78

Steins Gate ep.8
Ok, so he's experimenting on more and more now, but he's the only one that can keep track of what is changin around him. I have a very bad feeling about this like I said before. Poor Miyuri is going to get hu t from this at some point as he closes in on reckless.

Quasar

Grimgar 05
A really poor way to introduce a new character. Don't really get any sort of idea what her background is like, and her personality is really only pushed through highlighted anecdotes. What are the consequences to her seeming uncooperative to the group? These characters already have almost no presence in a scene, but it feels like this character is not even on the stage yet. The reasoning and purpose for her seemingly obstinate decisions get no background.

You in a hurry? :)

If the books are any guide its developed over time.

Quasar

I think I will drop Grimgar.
I think the pacing is too slow. They are almost halfway through the series and haven't even finished the first light novel yet.
The atmosphere is nice, but there are too many 4 minute insert song scenes, and they seem to try to drag out certain parts/make things more dramatic.

I like the pace aside from the knowledge that we won't get enough episodes. I'd feel happier if it was announced as a 26 episode show.

Sakura

I like the pace aside from the knowledge that we won't get enough episodes. I'd feel happier if it was announced as a 26 episode show.

I wouldn't have a problem with the pace either if there were enough episodes.
But there is no way the show will get enough seasons to cover the source material, which kind of puts me off.

Garo 02

Seems like Leon doesn't have a handle on his own power. And what is up with those marks on his body? Also just like I thought, the dad is awesome lol.

kewlmyc

It's pretty simple. You accept Karamatsu is the best of the six and that's it.

I can get behind this.

Also, yeah, humor is subjective. It took at least 2 attempts for Nichijou to click with me. Wasn't with the show until the wrestling deer skit.

Garo 03

Kid let his lust for power consume him, I almost felt bad when they told him he had it all wrong about the ring. And now a new Makai Knight shows up right at the end of the episode too.

Grimgar - 05

I'd appreciate the pacing of Grimgar if the character development was actually there. But the writing just isn't any good and, as dimb mentions, the character that got introduced remains little more than some stereotypical deadpan girl with nothing to herself and no interesting impact on the group either. Her demeanor is mostly played as a joke in a quick montage and...again, this all does undermine
the loss of Manato.

That's what the series is best at anyways. Undermining its attempts at solid storytelling.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
You in a hurry? :)

If the books are any guide its developed over time.
I'm just asking for the character to be introduced properly. Tackling issues in writing by relying on the sheer mass of text to smooth over mistakes is unbearable, and does nothing to justify the text's length.

It's not as though Grimgar is moving slowly to carefully tackle its characters and craft an interesting story. In this particular instance what I'm complaining about is that the show moves too quickly over the important details while dwelling on meaningless moments, or meandering over the simplistic territory it's already covered.

Cornbread78

Steins Gate ep.9
See, now he did change too much with that last D-mail. He should have forced her to show him the message before it was sent. Now,
Akiba is completely gone from existance
That is a huge change in history and time... big mistake Mr. Mad scientist.

Line_HTX

Steins Gate ep.9
See, now he did change too much with that last D-mail. He should have forced her to show him the message before it was sent. Now,
Akiba is completely gone from existance
That is a huge change in history and time... big mistake Mr. Mad scientist.

Now you're finally starting to get to the good parts.

Faris is pretty cool too.

Cornbread78

Now you're finally starting to get to the good parts.

Faris is pretty cool too.

She fucked up though. Fyris should have known what kind of change would happen and nobody, even her, knows what changed (other than Okarin). Bad things are coming, really bad things.

Russ T

Banned
That's what the series is best at anyways. Undermining its attempts at solid storytelling.

Ain't that the truth.

"You're interested in watching these characters grow together over time, through good times and bad? FUCK THAT! Have some beautiful ass in your face! Have a LOT of beautiful ass in your face!"

"Yo, don't think there's enough character development? NICE! TOO BAD! Here's a five minute conversation about the bust size of the female characters!"

"Remember when that guy died? It was real sad, wasn't it? NO WORRIES, MATE! Here's a new character! She's very interesting and has a lot to say! Hehe, just kidding. Prolly got a fine behind, though, am I right?"

So much potential, flushed down the toilet.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What if... it was a trashy fanservice show yearning to tell a decent story?

What then??
cry.gif

Line_HTX

I tried watching Grimgar, and I'm sorry, under this category, Konosuba is going to blow this the fuck out of the park. It just feels like Grimgar is full of awful jobbers in a permadeath scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom