• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haibane Remnei 08-09

You know what? This show is pretty good. I think I'm finally easing into that and discovering what it is going for. This kind of somber and odd look at what I can only assume is the afterlife, with the obvious religious imagery, tone and theming. I don't expect this to ever be fully expanded on because it isn't that type of show that does that. What I do find interesting is that no one remembers anything about what happened previously. I am taking this to be a twist on the mystery of death and the afterlife, how the majority of the time in stories death is the unknown, but in the afterlife suddenly it will all become clear. I don't want an explicit confirmation or denial of this and I doubt the show will give me one barring some insane revelation or twist which I don't see coming.

wonzo

Banned
What if... it was a trashy fanservice show yearning to tell a decent story?

What then??
cry.gif

not everyone can pull a hiramoto, a real shame too 😭

Steins Gate ep.9
See, now he did change too much with that last D-mail. He should have forced her to show him the message before it was sent. Now,
Akiba is completely gone from existance
That is a huge change in history and time... big mistake Mr. Mad scientist.

Wait, you're watching jello bananas??

SUBBED

Cornbread78

I tried watching Grimgar, and I'm sorry, under this category, Konosuba is going to blow this the fuck out of the park. It just feels like Grimgar is full of awful jobbers in a permadeath scenario.

Yes, bow down to the mighty party of Konosuba. Oh post in the OT dammit, lol.

i'm still enjoying grimgar enough to keep watching, but it won't be anywhere near my AOTS vote.

Same here. It's entertaining, but something about just doesn't resonate highly with me.

Haibane Remnei 08-09

You know what? This show is pretty good. I think I'm finally easing into that and discovering what it is going for. This kind of somber and odd look at what I can only assume is the afterlife, with the obvious religious imagery, tone and theming. I don't expect this to ever be fully expanded on because it isn't that type of show that does that. What I do find interesting is that no one remembers anything about what happened previously. I am taking this to be a twist on the mystery of death and the afterlife, how the majority of the time in stories death is the unknown, but in the afterlife suddenly it will all become clear. I don't want an explicit confirmation or denial of this and I doubt the show will give me one barring some insane revelation or twist which I don't see coming.

You're right that it's not the type of show to make things explicit and clear (and all the better for that), but it's not too hard to put some pieces together by the end.

Busaiku

Snow White with the Red Hair 13

Uhh, didn't Zen propose to Shirayuki, and basically let the court know?
Why is she still being shipped off to Tonberoon.

Ryuu and Obi were too cute though.

Also, did Funimation use the Blu Ray footage when dubbing the first season?
Looks so horrendous now.

you have to remember that at the end of the day Snow White with the Red Hair is a reverse harem so they gotta put her in situations where other guys will fall in love with her.

The true winners for me so far are Erased and Rakugo. Haikyuu and Gundam are leftovers but they are good too. I'm enjoying Grimgar, that being said it does not come anywhere near those 4. If anything Dimension W would. If it didn't have needless fan service.

ViciousDS

Banned
What's a good action comedy anime? Doesn't have to be from this season or recent. I've ready done

Hunter x Hunter
Naruto
One piece
Gintama

I want a decent amount of action but definitely a great amount of comedy

Is that generally better or worse than a regular harem?

It's a term used for girl main character with guys falling for her. So the same.

What's a good action comedy anime? Doesn't have to be from this season or recent. I've ready done

Hunter x Hunter
Naruto
One piece
Gintama

I want a decent amount of action but definitely a great amount of xkmedy6

Depends what you mean on comedy, but Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood has plenty of light hearted moments alongside the more serious stuff. There's also Baccano, where two characters are comedic relief.

edit: oh duh, One Punch Man.

Cornbread78

Hunter x Hunter
Naruto
One piece
Gintama

I want a decent amount of action but definitely a great amount of comedy

- Baka to Test
- Sabagebu!
- Konosuba

No action but hilarious B Gata H Kei. As long as you don't mind a lot if Ecchiness. It's worth it for the comedy.

Wait, you're watching jello bananas??

SUBBED

Lol, yeah. It's been fun so far, but you can tell a Tobe change is coming and Un a bad way, plus, the death flags have already been flown for my favorite girl Minorin unfortunately. She gonna get caught up in this in a real bad way...

blurr

Haibane Remnei 08-09

It's the kind of show you draw your own conclusion and theories, there can be multiple interpretations. One of the reasons I admire it so much.

I finished Maria the Virgin Witch and I was writing something about it but haven't completed it yet.

Dimension W 05

Wow this was one surreal episode. Here I was thinking it won't live up to the previous episode. There were a few details that felt ambiguous but it was very interesting to watch nonetheless.

Russ T

Banned
It just feels like Grimgar is full of awful jobbers in a permadeath scenario.

Well that's what makes it more appealing than your average trapped-in-a-fantasy-world anime.

But then they ruin that with the typical light novel trope bullshit that's KILLING ANIME ANIME IS DEAD RUINED EVERYTHING AHHHHHHHHHHH

Anyway

Durarara whatever the most recent number is

Damn. GETTIN' HYPED UP OVER HERE. EVerything coming to a head. Ahh can't wait.

Cornbread78

Osheite! Galko-chan ep.1-3
I have no idea what I just watched, but it was pretty funny crude aND sophomoric humor, which is right up my alley. Konosuba is still funnier, but these are pretty good shorts.

Nice thing about having no time to watch anime for a little bit is that you can binge watch the latest episodes once you get some free time.

The Accel World thing only being a movie is kinda disappointing. I was hoping for a series.

I just want season 2.

I'm still dissapointed about the fact that this movie apparently takes place after waaaay late in the series, after major story arcs the anime didn't cover.

Just T

Dimension W: 5

Well that was a wild episode, I enjoyed it. Took a minute of reflection after the episode was finished to make sense of it all though but I think I got it.

Link Man

Banned
So I'm 3 episodes into Hanasaku Iroha, and so far I'm really enjoying it. The art is of course beautiful (this is P.A. Works, after all), and I'm finding Ohana's character to be really refreshing. Episode 3 is definitely the standout so far, excellent humor and animation, and it really lets the characters sparkle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom