• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonjonaug

What Gundams do I need to watch?

0079 Movies (or 0079 TV series if you can stand some really old and occasionally awful looking animation), Zeta, 0080, G, and Turn A are the good ones. 08th MS Team is also good if you can get past the intro and the fact that how the main plot gets rolling is pretty dumb. Char's Counterattack is worth watching for the mech designs and the ending even if the plot is really bad.

blurr

So I'm 3 episodes into Hanasaku Iroha, and so far I'm really enjoying it. The art is of course beautiful (this is P.A. Works, after all), and I'm finding Ohana's character to be really refreshing. Episode 3 is definitely the standout so far, excellent humor and animation, and it really lets the characters sparkle.

Ohana only gets more impressive :D

Sakura

Original series AKA 0079 (I recommend movie format)
Zeta
ZZ (first half is kind of shit)
Char's Counterattack (Movie)
Gundam Unicorn
F91 (Movie)
Victory Gundam
Gundam Wing
Turn A Gundam

The Universal Century OVAs aren't really required watching, but I recommend War in the Pocket. 08th MS Team is OK too.

blurr

Zeta
Gundam Unicorn
F91 (Movie)
Victory Gundam
Gundam Wing
Turn A Gundam

The Universal Century OVAs aren't really required watching, but I recommend War in the Pocket. 08th MS Team is OK too.

Thanks, needed this too.

TUSR

Banned
Zeta
ZZ
Char's Counterattack (be warned, is bad)
G Gundam
Gundam Build Fighters
War in the Pocket
08th MS Squad

Zeta
Gundam Unicorn
F91 (Movie)
Victory Gundam
Gundam Wing
Turn A Gundam

ty

Quasar

So I'm 3 episodes into Hanasaku Iroha, and so far I'm really enjoying it. The art is of course beautiful (this is P.A. Works, after all), and I'm finding Ohana's character to be really refreshing. Episode 3 is definitely the standout so far, excellent humor and animation, and it really lets the characters sparkle.

Loved it. That was the start of my pa works love. And my Okada love.

Grimgar 5 I dropped at 2 but returned. It is okay.
Bahamut 5 The goat of season. Nothing even touches it.
Dimension W 5 Was high on it for first 2 episodes, then went sleepfest.
HaruChika 5 Recruit and mystery of the week has gotten old. Someone get shot or something.
Dagashi Kashi 5 This particular episode did nothing for me.

What's a good action comedy anime? Doesn't have to be from this season or recent. I've ready done

Hunter x Hunter
Naruto
One piece
Gintama

I want a decent amount of action but definitely a great amount of comedy

Might I recommend School Rumble? It's a romcom that has great over the top action constantly, usually in form of some extreme school events. It's directed by the Gintama director btw.

As far as Baka no Test is confirmed, I watched one episode of that and it's really not my thing. Though, you might as well try out one episode yourself.

Dimension W - 01

Eh, seems serviceable. Robo-cat-girl is certainly designed to serve on the fringe of fanservice. I was fairly let down by the action sequences, I thought I remembered that aspect or at least production values in general get some praise. Will watch one more episode in hope that it engages me more.

I also gotta state that I really can't stand utterly random dancing in OPs and EDs. Feels like it doesn't even go well with the music here and in Dagashi Kashi. Dancing is always nice to show your animation prowess and all but let's not go completely arbitrary with it.

fertygo

I liked Grimgar, shame with all the skeevy thing with the girls tho.. they're cute enough even without those ass shoť and sex joke. Shame..

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Got home at 9PM yesterday so only watched 8 episodes of HxH.
Sunday I finished off yorknew city arc so started up greed island arc and if it is something I enjoy (won't say they're good) a lot then it's video game anime.
Liking it so far but a lot of those episodes were pretty monotonous training, will be home earlier today so might even finish the arc today, hopefully.

Dimension W - 01

I also gotta state that I really can't stand utterly random dancing in OPs and EDs. Feels like it doesn't even go well with the music here and in Dagashi Kashi. Dancing is always nice to show your animation prowess and all but let's not go completely arbitrary with it.

The one cut of Kyouma break dancing in the Dimension W OP (which is just one small portion of the OP) is actually well coordinated with the music, as the OP overall is; he's pretty clearly dancing in time with the rhythm. Umetsu likes dancing characters, as is evidenced in his OPs for Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru and Koufuku Graffiti (pardon the sped-up Youtube upload; hard to find straightforward uploads of OPs these days with how copyright holders are cracking down). I wish he had done more of that for Dimension W.

Zeta
Gundam Unicorn
F91 (Movie)
Victory Gundam
Gundam Wing
Turn A Gundam

You forgot AGE.

blurr

What's a good action comedy anime? Doesn't have to be from this season or recent. I've ready done

Hunter x Hunter
Naruto
One piece
Gintama

I want a decent amount of action but definitely a great amount of comedy

Great Teacher Onizuka (less action though)
Chuunibyou season 1 (I guess)

These are kind of balanced on both, if not inclining towards action more:

Tiger and Bunny
Durarara
Baccano (heavy on characterization, same author as Durarara)

Dimension W - 01

I never knew humanity could be this anti fun

blurr

From what we've seen of Dimension W, it's clear that it doesn't take itself too seriously, there are some light comedy moments
(especially in one episode with those kids)
so the dancing isn't entirely out of place (in terms of its tone). It's just that it conflicts with Kyouma's personality in the show.

I liked Grimgar, shame with all the skeevy thing with the girls tho.. they're cute enough even without those ass shoť and sex joke. Shame..

They are healthy boys and girls unlike animeGAF, for example

I'm just asking for the character to be introduced properly. Tackling issues in writing by relying on the sheer mass of text to smooth over mistakes is unbearable, and does nothing to justify the text's length.

It's not as though Grimgar is moving slowly to carefully tackle its characters and craft an interesting story. In this particular instance what I'm complaining about is that the show moves too quickly over the important details while dwelling on meaningless moments, or meandering over the simplistic territory it's already covered.

Ain't that the truth.

"You're interested in watching these characters grow together over time, through good times and bad? FUCK THAT! Have some beautiful ass in your face! Have a LOT of beautiful ass in your face!"

"Yo, don't think there's enough character development? NICE! TOO BAD! Here's a five minute conversation about the bust size of the female characters!"

"Remember when that guy died? It was real sad, wasn't it? NO WORRIES, MATE! Here's a new character! She's very interesting and has a lot to say! Hehe, just kidding. Prolly got a fine behind, though, am I right?"

So much potential, flushed down the toilet.

Though latter one is like reading 4chan's copypasta.
And there's a member seems reviewed episode 5 twice because he hate this show too much so maybe he dropped after episode 5 but pick it up again and watch again and review again lol?

Oh and no offence to you 2 btw, but i guess fan service will be always one of biggest issue between you guys and me due to different viewpoint.

Szadek

Only 5 shows left from last year that I want to watch and haven't seen yet:
Log Horizon Seasons 2
Assassination Classroom
Shirobako
Plastic Memories and
Your Lie in April

I will watch the first few episodes of each show and I will keep watching whatever looks the most interesting.
Chances are I will come to to other shows soon enough, unless I really don't like these episodes.

Only 5 shows left from last year that I want to watch and haven't seen yet:
Log Horizon Seasons 2
Assassination Classroom
Shirobako
Plastic Memories and
Your Lie in April

I will watch the first few episodes of each show and I will keep watching whatever looks the most interesting.
Chances are I will come to to other shows soon enough, unless I really don't like these episodes.

Don't have high hopes on Plastic Memories.

The one cut of Kyouma break dancing in the Dimension W OP (which is just one small portion of the OP) is actually well coordinated with the music, as the OP overall is; he's pretty clearly dancing in time with the rhythm. Umetsu likes dancing characters, as is evidenced in his OPs for Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru and Koufuku Graffiti (pardon the sped-up Youtube upload; hard to find straightforward uploads of OPs these days with how copyright holders are cracking down). I wish he had done more of that for Dimension W.

As a German who's got the pleasure of suffering through GEMA restricted YouTube, I've learned to live with it.

Fair enough, he's dancing somewhat in tune but the moves still feel rather random to me, and so does the entire sequence. It's also weird when just one character as opposed to the entire cast is getting such a scene because it then also feels like it should be related to his characterization, which it doesn't seem to be. Soredmo Machi wa Mawatteiru OPs is better structured around the dancing and just generally better directed imo.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Does dancing really fit the theme of Dimension W or the style of the characters though? Even the small cut of Kyouma sells the character as something he is not. It's an ill fit, and as the tone of the show continues to shift it wouldn't even really match the show as a whole.

The simplistic response for an opening or ending is to match the energy and pace of the song with dance. For something like SoreMachi, it's obvious that a great deal of thought and effort has been placed in assuring that the theme and subject matter are always being pushed. Brooms, trays, and other props keep this characters as maids even if they carry the liveliness of the song into twirling them around. I think it's really easy for dancing to become a perfunctory fill for the visual element in an opening or ending, and it does tend to just feel tiresome and thoughtless oftentimes.

Oh btw, that said, the Grimgar discussion in here is 1000x better than 2ch, because in 2ch, there are some spear fans arguing why no one use spear and keep saying how spear is best weapon ever.

30-50% of every Grimgar thread replies(in 2ch, people need to open new thread when current thread hit 1001 replies, so 30-50%=300-500 replies) is about spear lol.

dimb

Oh btw, that said, the Grimgar discussion in here is 1000x better than 2ch, because in 2ch, there are some spear fans arguing why no one use spear and keep saying how spear is best weapon ever.

30-50% of every Grimgar thread replies(in 2ch, people need to open new thread when old thread hit 1001, so 300-500 replies) is about spear lol.
I will try to use this information to benefit any future Grimgar reviews.

As a German who's got the pleasure of suffering through GEMA restricted YouTube, I've learned to live with it.

Fair enough, he's dancing somewhat in tune but the moves still feel rather random to me, and so does the entire sequence. It's also weird when just one character as opposed to the entire cast is getting such a scene because it then also feels like it should be related to his characterization, which it doesn't seem to be. Soredmo Machi wa Mawatteiru OPs is better structured around the dancing and just generally better directed imo.

Dimension W isn't Umetsu's best OP (it's his third-best OP after the other two I mentioned), but it is pretty good. Since I view OP/EDs as their own thing to a certain extent, I don't require them to just show characters doing what you'd expect them to do in the show proper (or have the same visual style as the show proper). They just need to be generally appropriate for the show's tone and thus do a good job of preparing you for or winding you down after the episode. If Kyouma had a silly grin on his face when he was dancing, that would be more troublesome for me, but he has the same scowl he always has, and even his dance moves feel not like a wild partygoer, but the mark of someone who is serious and determined. So I'd say it's emotionally consistent with Kyouma's personality, as well as with his highly flexible physique, even if I wouldn't expect him to burst into break dancing in the show proper, at least not without a good reason.

This reminds me of arguments I read over Madoka's opening and how in the end all be all it was fucking nothing because the opening had absolutely nothing to do with the actual content of the show or the characters.

Just like countless other openings.

OPs are just music videos for the CD singles they need to sell anyway.

Generally, sure, and anime in general is generally just an advertisment for something else, whether it be manga, games, figures, whatever. (I like to bring up the fact here that Cowboy Bebop was first funded with the intent of selling spaceship models.) That doesn't mean we shouldn't desire and ask for something handled with excellence and with narrative and emotional sensitivity. See, for example, the first Garo the Animation OP for an OP sequence that is visually striking and thematically rich.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...ast-and-staff-april-debut-in-new-video/.98449

Kuromukuro is samurai x mecha show?

J1w7KGA.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Generally, sure, and anime in general is generally just an advertisment for something else, whether it be manga, games, figures, whatever. (I like to bring up the fact here that Cowboy Bebop was first funded with the intent of selling spaceship models.) That doesn't mean we shouldn't desire and ask for something handled with excellence and with narrative and emotional sensitivity. See, for example, the first Garo the Animation OP for an OP sequence that is visually striking and thematically rich.
It probably doesn't help that I just skip them I suppose. I think I generally remember the songs more than the actual videos that accompany them. Ping Pong's pop punk OP is great, but I don't think I remember anything about the actual images that they used during the song.

Come to think of it, Aria is probably the only show I know of that has an OP song, but no OP video. The OP is just built into the episode itself and is part of the narrative, so you basically had to listen to the song every episode.

dimb

This reminds me of arguments I read over Madoka's opening and how in the end all be all it was fucking nothing because the opening had absolutely nothing to do with the actual content of the show or the characters.
How can anyone think this?

blurr

I love Madoka for that.

It probably doesn't help that I just skip them I suppose. I think I generally remember the songs more than the actual videos that accompany them. Ping Pong's pop punk OP is great, but I don't think I remember anything about the actual images that they used during the song.

I know you don't care about visual art or animation, so OP/ED sequences will be pointless for you. Funny that you mention the Ping Pong OP, since I don't like its song much and think the incredible animation overseen by Shinya Ohira is what makes it great.

Come to think of it, Aria is probably the only show I know of that has an OP song, but no OP video. The OP is just built into the episode itself and is part of the narrative, so you basically had to listen to the song every episode.

Since I haven't watched the whole show yet I don't know if it keeps up throughout, but From the New World has no OP sequence, instead just having a song that's consistently used when the title card is dropped.

G Gundam.

Who else hasn't watched G Gundam here? It's on my Narag list for this year... Let's watch it together!?

I'll be so happy if this happens.

Uh, yes it did?

blurr

Yea, I like that they took the effort to animate some different scenes/sequences every time the OP song played in Aria the Natural. Really gets me in the mood.

I know you don't care about visual art or animation, so OP/ED sequences will be pointless for you. Funny that you mention the Ping Pong OP, since I don't like its song much and think the incredible animation overseen by Shinya Ohira is what makes it great.

Yeh I certainly appreciate that OP primarily for the animation and I recall some gifs, especially of its beginning, being rather popular, too.

You mean the cat?

But the song itself was written with the content of the series in mind - see how it was used at the end of episode 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom