• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gvitor

It's not like a lot people watch Grimgar here so there always that few people complaining.
Tough i also notice some of them said "dropped" at few weeks ago, but then when new episodes is out they come back to watch and review and say "yup, dropped" again!? wonder what are they thinking.

The main complain is fan service which is a plus point part anyway, so not really care them lol.

In my last post I was actually praising them for the lack thereof, lol. Aside from two Sinon-like asshots of Yume, all there has been in the show was... talk. Childish talk, sure, but harmless and quick. They did the cliché "boy spy on girl taking a bath" without showing anything, and so far there hasn't been a single panty shot. As far as ecchi goes, that to me is pretty harmless.

Line_HTX

Oh goodness, here's your Anime OT thread of the day... This one is gonna get ugly.. Why?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1182254

The government... THE GOVERNMENT using Kirino to try and get young people to participate in voting. Kirino. Of all people...

VSHwHd2.gif

In other news, Dagashi Kashi dub announced. The only name I recognize is Haberkorn for Kokonotsu. I like dubs and everything, but I'm going to have to say no to this.

Yuki Kaji will play another troubled teen in Shouto Todoroki for My Hero Academia. What, is he going to turn into a super Edgelord and wants to DESTROY them all?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Caught up on Osomatsu.

Pretty good comedy show. A lot of the skits rely too much on the "repeat the joke 6 times with minor variations" thing but some of the focused eps are really good, like Todomatsu's Line, Ichimatsu Incident and Jyushimatsu Festival. What sets Osomatsu-san apart from other gag comedies is its bawdiness, which is similar to what you'd find from American "adult comedies" like Family Guy and South Park. It's a refreshing change of pace for anime.

MATSU RANKINGS

Todomatsu: Probably has the most depth out of all the Matsus, although this may just be because he gets the most skits and screentime. Of all the Matsus, he's the one who understands that they're all NEETs because they have a toxic inter-dependent relationship so his seeking independence is surprisingly believable for a gag anime.

Jyushimatsu: Most consistently funny Matsu with some good drama skits like Jyushimatsu Falls in Love. I don't usually go for the "crazy dude does crazy things" kind of characters but Jyushimatsu has just enough range to keep him enjoyable.

Ichimatsu: A pretty straightforward character. Cold on the outside, lonely on the inside. I like his relationship with cats because I like cats and his anxieties and fears are actually pretty understandable even if they're rote. All the Matsus seem to respect his intelligence and gruff exterior, even if the latter's an act.

Karamatsu: The butt of the joke. I usually sympathize with these characters although I don't think Karamatsu is inherently interesting and he is, in accordance with his character, too try-hard, which can be painful. Unfortunately, his character never really develops beyond being the outcast.

Choromatsu: Perpetual straight man. I thought Choromatsu would be the de facto "main character" of Osomatsu-san early on because with 5 clowns and 1 straight man, the straight man should stand out right? Nope. He's usually there to react negatively to the others' antics but he doesn't do anything for himself. He's even less independent than Todomatsu/Jyushimatsu despite harping on and on about their age and NEETness.

Osomatsu: Osomatsu is a really dull character. Whenever he gets screentime he's either being a jerk or being selfish. He's not really the "leader" of the sextuplets at all in any capacity I can see. His best incarnation is actually Sanematsu, the middle aged, bullied, delusional salaryman.

Two more?!? Yikes :(

We know Erased 6 is being done by Nakamura Pro; we don't know the staff for Erased 7 yet.

Outsourcing of entire episodes happens on pretty much every TV anime except those made by KyoAni (who have their own subsidiary, Animation Do, that can handle episodes), and some ufotable productions (things got dicey with the end of UBW and God Eater though). There are some shows, particularly ones by Madhouse and MAPPA, where more episodes are outsourced than not. It only becomes a major problem when the director isn't supervising closely enough to maintain quality. Erased 5's problems stemmed from its storyboard, script, and the original manga; they can't just be blamed on outsourcing.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Finally got around to checking out the first ep of Dagashi Kashi. Felt a bit lackluster. Does the protagonist get any better?

blurr

We know Erased 6 is being done by Nakamura Pro; we don't know the staff for Erased 7 yet.

Outsourcing of entire episodes happens on pretty much every TV anime except those made by KyoAni (who have their own subsidiary, Animation Do, that can handle episodes), and some ufotable productions (things got dicey with the end of UBW and God Eater though). There are some shows, particularly ones by Madhouse and MAPPA, where more episodes are outsourced than not. It only becomes a major problem when the director isn't supervising closely enough to maintain quality. Erased 5's problems stemmed from its storyboard, script, and the original manga; they can't just be blamed on outsourcing.

I was wondering the same, I mean Madhouse did outsource quite a lot of scenes from OPM, some were pretty phenomenal regardless.
IIRC I read Toya Oshima from Studio Khara animated the fight scene between Sea King and Genos. At least the beginning and it was amazing.

pbayne

AnimeTrending is literally the VG​Chartz of anime. I've yet to see them get a single ranking correct.

No Komugi, Galko-chan or Rakugo = invalid list

Anyways, started reading the Silent Voice manga and they made the right choice in making a movie and not a series.

Downside they'll not get a full adaption. But the big plus is they don't have to use the first 1 or 2 episodes establishing how much of a shithead the MC is. Like he's so nasty I could envision people dropping it before his character has time to develop.

TheChaos0

Anime OT thread have been thrown around in other sections but I've never checked it out. Here I am, hi. Although, I'm hardly watching anything. Konosuba and Gintama are the only things I'm watching that's currently airing and trying to finish Yowamushi Pedal.

Konosuba is not bad, better than I thought it would be. It does help that it makes fun of the whole ending up in game/parallel trope.

Caught up on Osomatsu.

Pretty good comedy show. A lot of the skits rely too much on the "repeat the joke 6 times with minor variations" thing but some of the focused eps are really good, like Todomatsu's Line, Ichimatsu Incident and Jyushimatsu Festival. What sets Osomatsu-san apart from other gag comedies is its bawdiness, which is similar to what you'd find from American "adult comedies" like Family Guy and South Park. It's a refreshing change of pace for anime.

Shinji Takamatsu and Yoichi Fujita, the two primary directors of Gintama, have a predilection for crudeness, particularly involving male genitalia. You can see this both in their work on Gintama as well as shows such as Takamatsu's Ixion Saga DT and Fujita's Osomatsu-san.

Shinji Takamatsu and Yoichi Fujita, the two primary directors of Gintama, have a predilection for crudeness, particularly involving male genitalia. You can see this both in their work on Gintama as well as shows such as Takamatsu's Ixion Saga DT and Fujita's Osomatsu-san.

I mean, most of the crude stuff in Gintama comes from the source material which isn't on the director. Though I guess maybe they were chosen to do Gintama because of that

What's with all these mods that I didn't know were mods?

They be lurking...

Got this friend of mine to watch Erased. She does not watch anime at all, but she's loving the show. It even got her to ask me for more shows for her to watch. She was under the impression that all anime was creepy, nerdy crap (which isn't far from the truth these days but yeah).

Qurupeke

Myriad Colours Phantom World 6

Hmm, the show sure looks good, really vibrant colours. This was pretty fun actually. Magical girls, bears, giant robots, fairytale worlds... Kinda funny that the character I disliked the most had the best arc. I wonder if we'll finally have some actual plot now that all the character arcs are finished and the team has been assembled.

Ascheroth

The question is, did they develop this because of Gintama or were they chosen for Gintama because of it, haha.

And speaking about Gintama..

Gintama - 309

This was soooooooo satisfying.
Also had some good laughs inbetween, though the majority is still serious.

Katsura and Kondo, the prisoner dream team in the making, yess. Sougo unleashed, until Kaguro takes the reigns again, haha.

8qqWNQq.jpg

If looks could kill..

I was wondering the same, I mean Madhouse did outsource quite a lot of scenes from OPM, some were pretty phenomenal regardless.
IIRC I read Toya Oshima from Studio Khara animated the fight scene between Sea King and Genos. At least the beginning and it was amazing.

If you're talking about individual animators, the vast majority of them are freelance. The only studio that doesn't use freelance animators is KyoAni. Pretty much all the animators who did the good scenes in One Punch Man did not work for Madhouse; that's not really considered outsourcing. It's only outsourcing if part of all of the animation for an episode is offloaded onto another studio, who will supervise, organize, and find the animators to do the necessary cuts. In One Punch Man, episodes 7 and 10 were outsourced to Madhouse's frequent Korean partner Dr. Movie and episode 8 was outsourced to ZEXCS.

It's mostly that this was the first episode that was outsourced and substantially worse. I'm not blaming that studio in particular it's just that the lacking director's supervising or whatever wasn't good enough for that episode and now I'm afraid it might be similar for the next. When the direction goes from mostly very strong to some major faux pas that's telling.

I mean there were some bits like the red eyes, ominous end of ep3 etc. but nothing as laughable as that last supper close up or the crows.

blurr

If you're talking about individual animators, the vast majority of them are freelance. The only studio that doesn't use freelance animators is KyoAni. Pretty much all the animators who did the good scenes in One Punch Man did not work for Madhouse; that's not really considered outsourcing. It's only outsourcing if part of all of the animation for an episode is offloaded onto another studio, who will supervise, organize, and find the animators to do the necessary cuts. In One Punch Man, episodes 7 and 10 were outsourced to Madhouse's frequent Korean partner Dr. Movie and episode 8 was outsourced to ZEXCS.

Ohh, thanks for clearing that.

Line_HTX

Finally got around to checking out the first ep of Dagashi Kashi. Felt a bit lackluster. Does the protagonist get any better?

I'm mostly watching it for knowing what kinds of snacks exist out there. Other than that, I'm with XANDER CAGE in that this show needs Jesus, lol

To be honest, I would've preferred if they had the episodes as a short 12 minutes because sometimes it feels like it's dragging a little bit before the halfway point.

Cornbread78

Anime OT thread have been thrown around in other sections but I've never checked it out. Here I am, hi. Although, I'm hardly watching anything. Konosuba and Gintama are the only things I'm watching that's currently airing and trying to finish Yowamushi Pedal.

Konosuba is not bad, better than I thought it would be. It does help that it makes fun of the whole ending up in game/parallel trope.

Welcome! Konosuba is good fun to watch. with Grimgar being it's brother from another mother. Polar opposites in many ways.

hurry before Yowapeda 3 starts.

blurr

So to be clear, it's possible that individual animators working for a studio can work for other studios(assuming they are capable) but they're not exactly representing the studio they are employed in.

So to be clear, it's possible that individual animators working for a studio can work for other studios(assuming they are capable) but they're not exactly representing the studio they are employed in.

There are animators who have strong connections with a particular studio but aren't necessarily working for that studio. For instance, Yoshimichi Kameda has a strong connection with Bones and frequently shows up on Bones productions such as FMA Brotherhood, No. 6, and the upcoming Mob Psycho 100. But there's nothing stopping him from working on productions on other studios as a freelancer, such as on Kill la Kill at Trigger, Parol's Future Island at Shin-Ei, and One Punch Man at Madhouse. Even if an animator is an employee at a particular studio, he may do a cut for a production at another studio without outsourcing being involved. For example, Akira Amemiya is a Trigger employee at the moment, but he was specifically asked to do a cut in the OP of Sore ga Seiyuu at Gonzo because of his mecha expertise.

Too many mods in this thread now, I can't let loose anymore. :(

Haruchika DROPPED

I just have lost complete interest in the show. I'm not disappointed because the show never had me enough to make me feel disappointed about dropping it.

ibyea

Banned

Still, some of the directing choices in episode 5 was substandard to bad. But at least I know ep 6 is in good hands.

Phatmac

Been reading lots of manga lately and finding it more enjoyable than anime at the moment. Surprised by how much of it hasn't been adapted to anime yet. Guess I'll try to catch up to One piece by just reading the manga.

EDIT: Also caught up with the shows from last week and I have no clue why I'm still watching DRRR and Gundam: IBO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom