• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Speaking of Wonderland, Dagashi Kashi uses an Alice theme for the ED and Mahou Shoujo Nante Mouiidesukara uses one for the OP. Two occurrences in one season!

Kotoura-san 01

Ca4Xq2lWwAAYa0T.jpg

Well that escalated quickly.

Ascheroth

So im not really an anime guy at all. Ive tried over the years to get into them but they all just rubbed me the wrong way. I liked pokemon and dbz but I dont think real anime fans would consider those true anime. I also got into Berserk a little bit, and I did enjoy that.

However, last night I saw a clip of an anime I thought looked really cool. So I watched the first episode. It was One Punch Man. This is the type of anime im looking for. Very cool first episode. Def gonna stick with it.

There is nothing like a 'true anime'. There's all kinds of anime in all kinds of genres and styles. Just watch whatever you enjoy!

I'd recommend you Hunter x Hunter 2011 (148 episodes) and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (64 episodes) for some longer, really good shonen.
Also can't go wrong with Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (27 episodes) if you're looking some really crazy over the top non stop action awesomness.
Or Fate/Zero (25 episodes) for something darker.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of those.

NeonZ

Shinji Takamatsu and Yoichi Fujita, the two primary directors of Gintama, have a predilection for crudeness, particularly involving male genitalia. You can see this both in their work on Gintama as well as shows such as Takamatsu's Ixion Saga DT and Fujita's Osomatsu-san.

I mean, most of the crude stuff in Gintama comes from the source material which isn't on the director. Though I guess maybe they were chosen to do Gintama because of that

Gintama in the beginning wasn't that crude though. The heaviest content in the first year of the anime is just characters vomiting. When the manga started having dirty jokes though, the anime quickly did the same in some of its original scenes.

The way they could seamlessly wrap filler around the canon material without a noticeable change in quality was impressive though, and I've actually missed some of the anime-only humor in the recent season - like all the worrying about budget and reused content - the new director only used the recycled background thing once.

Sometimes they also took short comedic stories and took them to a bigger level, like how they added a segment focused on the Shinsengumi to that whole spirit of the sword story; there was also a 2nd half with "Dragon Leader" actually appearing on screen in the story about Yamazaki attempting to infiltrate Katsura's group; or the episode about bathroom cleanness that then becomes a war against giant bacteria in the 2nd half of the anime version while it just... ends in the manga.

JulianImp

The mood whiplash was certainly great. Only other recent show that got even close to that was Gakkou-Gurashi ep1, and that show really went to hell after the first two episodes at best. Kotoura was interesting at times and I'd call it a decent show, but not much more.

Well, all I knew about this show before watching the first episode was GrandpaLap.gif :p

I still wonder why the heck that scene was conceived. Dumb scenes to soften the blow from dramatic stuff is something I'm already pretty unhappy to see come up in shows, but lewd comedy used to achieve that effect is downright unforgiveable in my book. I don't want suffering people to just do the Rito to change the subject, since that's both artificial and overdone as hell.

Yu Yu Hakusho | 79 - 81

It felt somewhat strange and hilarious for Yusuke to chase after a fast moving car with a simple bicycle, and catching up to it!
Sniper fight started out nicely, and had some memorable moments (like using a truck!), but ended rather dull unfortunately. Thankfully the fight with Hiei was a nice surprise that had some pleasant stuff going on.
I'm not sure how I feel about this video game element territory currently going on though.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Finally got around to checking out the first ep of Dagashi Kashi. Felt a bit lackluster. Does the protagonist get any better?
Once in a while he participate in whatever crazy stuff Hotaru doing. But most of the time, it's the other supporting cast that really make the show, especially his dad.

I hope Dungeon Meshi gets an adaptation. It's Etrian Odyssey + Chopped.
Yeah, Dungeon Meshi is so good despite using generic D&D/ ultima settings.
We also need Hinamatsuri adaptation. I

Alice in Wonderland seems pretty big in Japan but I don't know why
Probably thanks to Disney and the anime series adaptation

While I'm impressed that Konosuba doesn't take itself seriously and is actually an entertaining comedy without falling to usual harem anime tropes (most of the time anyway), the one thing about it that does bother me is the setting.

It's so painfully generic fantasy. I understand that that's pretty much the point of the show, to make fun of those kinds of stories with similar settings, but it still remains the world the characters live in and thus they always bring up the same things I've heard in other generic fantasy shows so many times.

Here's the guilds, here's the big castle, here's the jobs and classes, here's the monsters in the big-open field, put all your points into this to level up that, etc. It all feels so unimaginative and boring.

Look, I'm not asking people to make the next Middle-Earth, but would it really be too much to ask to put somewhat of a spin on these fantasy settings? Just a little?

But yeah, other than that I'm surprised that the show is actually slightly better than average LN self-insert fantasy trash. Slightly.

Well let's hope Japan will make a XCOM-like world parody anime.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I've always been here, I'm just usually behind on the weekly shows, so I never said much of anything.

I primarily was a lurker the last couple of years as well, but mainly because I wasn't a fan of some of the interaction going on in here at times. But I guess I have to pay attention now. ;P

I think part of the reason Konosuba is so funny is because Aqua's voice actress is on fucking point. She has really good range and really good comedic...uh...voices, for lack of a better term. When she's panicking and freaking out when the crocodiles attack her in Episode 4 I was dying because she just sounds so freaked out. She just hits a really good range of comedic attributes.

[Mujin Wakusei Survive] - 06~10

Everyone would be so dead without Bell.
I'm waiting for them to decide to sacrifice Howard, something like he accidentally breaking a leg and being put down. Bell should do it, like he did with the Tobihane. :p
Maybe Sharla too...
Menori is so jealous about Luna being thee new leader, it's cool you can see it in her face at every scene, now everything is the leader's fault for Menori.
Maybe in the future they could be separeted in Luna and Menori factions, hehe.

Ascheroth

Konosuba - 05

And another hilarious episode. The purification, the other 'hero' and how Kazuma and gang dealt with him, everything was on point.
This has become my scheduled dose of comedy on Wednesdays, now that Gintama went all serious.

I think part of the reason Konosuba is so funny is because Aqua's voice actress is on fucking point. She has really good range and really good comedic...uh...voices, for lack of a better term. When she's panicking and freaking out when the crocodiles attack her in Episode 4 I was dying because she just sounds so freaked out. She just hits a really good range of comedic attributes.

I think you're on to something.

TUSR

Banned
Line_HTX was right.

It took me almost the whole day to watch this weeks episode of Phantom World since it sucked so hard.

Taruranto

Senyuu still the best JRPG/Fantasy-Parody series (albeit the manga stops being a DQ parody after a while and it attempt to create a plot). Good episode length too.

OKqAse1.jpg

Russ T

Banned
Konosuba-5

The comedic timing for this is on point. The audio and visual cues are delivered perfectly. This is just such excellent comedic delivery along with funny writing/source material.

Are you guys being legit about Konosuba or is this one of those "it's so trashy and bad it's funny" gags this thread sometimes does. I'm like 99% certain it's a bit. But that 1% makes me ask anyway.

Jarmel

Banned
Are you guys being legit about Konosuba or is this one of those "it's so trashy and bad it's funny" gags this thread sometimes does. I'm like 99% certain it's a bit. But that 1% makes me ask anyway.

It's definitely a bit trashy but it's also pretty hilarious in a legit fashion. I'm not ironically enjoying the show.

Puruzi

Banned
It depends on what you find funny. I don't think you'd find it funny tbh, but 22 mins to watch episode 1 isn't that bad

Ascheroth

Konosuba is legit hilarious. I'd go as far as to put it into my top 3 this season, along with Rakugo and Erased.

It's actually intentionally funny, it's not Grimgar where you laugh at how terrible it is.

I laughed pretty damn hard in Episode 4 when she's begging Kazuma for money and it cuts to the two shady characters and one says "You know what comes next" as the other dude licks the knife.

The animation/art is pretty budget and the fan-service is still there but the humor is legit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom