• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been reading lots of manga lately and finding it more enjoyable than anime at the moment. Surprised by how much of it hasn't been adapted to anime yet. Guess I'll try to catch up to One piece by just reading the manga.
This is the best way to experience One Piece by far anyways

While I'm impressed that Konosuba doesn't take itself seriously and is actually an entertaining comedy without falling to usual harem anime tropes (most of the time anyway), the one thing about it that does bother me is the setting.

It's so painfully generic fantasy. I understand that that's pretty much the point of the show, to make fun of those kinds of stories with similar settings, but it still remains the world the characters live in and thus they always bring up the same things I've heard in other generic fantasy shows so many times.

Here's the guilds, here's the big castle, here's the jobs and classes, here's the monsters in the big-open field, put all your points into this to level up that, etc. It all feels so unimaginative and boring.

Look, I'm not asking people to make the next Middle-Earth, but would it really be too much to ask to put somewhat of a spin on these fantasy settings? Just a little?

But yeah, other than that I'm surprised that the show is actually slightly better than average LN self-insert fantasy trash. Slightly.

Dagashi Kashi is a vehicle for doujins and lewd innuendo. It exists for no other purpose. It is extremely boring and unfunny and only has it's character designs going for it.

Jarmel

Banned
Here's the guilds, here's the big castle, here's the jobs and classes, here's the monsters in the big-open field, put all your points into this to level up that, etc. It all feels so unimaginative and boring.

Look, I'm not asking people to make the next Middle-Earth, but would it really be too much to ask to put somewhat of a spin on these fantasy settings? Just a little?

CZwH-PaWAAEX9PW.jpg

Still, some of the directing choices in episode 5 was substandard to bad. But at least I know ep 6 is in good hands.

The directing choices in episode 5 would be primarily the decision of the storyboarder, Tetsuo Hirakawa. The storyboarder and episode director of episode 6 is Hirotaka Mori, who only has a couple credits on Haikyuu and Attack on Titan Junior High to his name.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'd like for someone to actually write a "stuck in an SRPG" light novel with grid based combat, like FFT. I think there's lot of opportunities there for jokes.

It's pretty dull when everyone goes for the most generic JRPG setting possible.

I hope Dungeon Meshi gets an adaptation. It's Etrian Odyssey + Chopped.

Phatmac

While I'm impressed that Konosuba doesn't take itself seriously and is actually an entertaining comedy without falling to usual harem anime tropes (most of the time anyway), the one thing about it that does bother me is the setting.

It's so painfully generic fantasy. I understand that that's pretty much the point of the show, to make fun of those kinds of stories with similar settings, but it still remains the world the characters live in and thus they always bring up the same things I've heard in other generic fantasy shows so many times.

But yeah, other than that I'm surprised that the show is actually slightly better than average LN self-insert fantasy trash. Slightly.
It works to make fun of serious shows with these concepts of being trapped in an MMO so it works. Plus it has flying cabbages which is bizzarre.

If you want different kinds of fantasy settings, you should be looking at shows such as Garo the Animation and Yona of the Dawn, not LN adaptations.

Gurrry

So im not really an anime guy at all. Ive tried over the years to get into them but they all just rubbed me the wrong way. I liked pokemon and dbz but I dont think real anime fans would consider those true anime. I also got into Berserk a little bit, and I did enjoy that.

However, last night I saw a clip of an anime I thought looked really cool. So I watched the first episode. It was One Punch Man. This is the type of anime im looking for. Very cool first episode. Def gonna stick with it.

I'd like to see Tomino make a "stuck in a fantasy RPG" LN harem-esque show. That would definitely be entertaining.

It works to make fun of serious shows with these concepts of being trapped in an MMO so it works. Plus it has flying cabbages which is bizzarre.

I get that it works, and while stuff like the flying cabbages is fun, I feel like it doesn't happen often enough to maintain the wackiness aspect of the show. Though that might be just me, plus the fact that there's only been five episodes as of now so we'll see.

If you want different kinds of fantasy settings, you should be looking at shows such as Garo the Animation and Yona of the Dawn, not LN adaptations.

I'm sure those are genuinely good shows that I'll get to eventually, but I was looking at Konosuba's standpoint as a comedy, and how it did things most LN adaptations. I was just pointing out how I felt it could have elevated itself a bit.

ZoddGutts

Dagashi Kashi is a vehicle for doujins and lewd innuendo. It exists for no other purpose. It is extremely boring and unfunny and only has it's character designs going for it.

I guess Galko-chan is like that as well, difference is that Galko-chan is actually good and surprisingly has some depth to it despite being just 8 mins per ep.

Guys, the mods can't touch us as long as we all stick together.

We're all family he-

*wire drops out of his shirt*

Uhhh...that's for my walkman.

TheChaos0

Welcome! Konosuba is good fun to watch. with Grimgar being it's brother from another mother. Polar opposites in many ways.

Haha, well, I'm trying not add any more shows to my immediate queue. I've already got a fair bit on queued up as it is and it's not moving anywhere!

hurry before Yowapeda 3 starts.

Uuuuuuuhhhh, I think I'll make it. Then again I said the same thing with Kuroko... haha.

Oh, I've watched the Anthem of the Heart the last weekend, at the, erm, UK's "Premiere" (more like you'll never see it again in the cinema :)). What a great movie. I kind of expected it to be good, given the crew behind it also did Toradora and Anohana but it ended up beating my expectations.

ibyea

Banned
So im not really an anime guy at all. Ive tried over the years to get into them but they all just rubbed me the wrong way. I liked pokemon and dbz but I dont think real anime fans would consider those true anime. I also got into Berserk a little bit, and I did enjoy that.

However, last night I saw a clip of an anime I thought looked really cool. So I watched the first episode. It was One Punch Man. This is the type of anime im looking for. Very cool first episode. Def gonna stick with it.

There is no such thing as "true anime". Anime encompass a variety of shows and styles, including Dragon Ball and Pokemon. Watch whatever you enjoy.

pbayne

Enjoy. Next season has a similar show by the same author called mob psycho 100.

P.S There's been an quite an influx of people looking recommendations the last few pages. What is saving anime now?

DBZ, Pokemon, One Punch Man; it's all anime!

When you're done with OPM, you could try Tiger and Bunny, which has a similar super hero thing going on with an association and stuff.

Gintama 309

Gintama is so good at times it is frankly unbelievable. 300 episodes of this show are now coalescing together at a rate so fast and so well executed that I cannot comprehend it. I've seen so many shonen flub it at the endgame but Gintama is doing it effortlessly. Gintama is masterclass.

Finally got around to checking out the first ep of Dagashi Kashi. Felt a bit lackluster. Does the protagonist get any better?

I am so not used to new mods yet.

I hope Dungeon Meshi gets an adaptation. It's Etrian Odyssey + Chopped.

The manga does well so it will probably happen.

jonjonaug

I guess Galko-chan is like that as well, difference is that Galko-chan is actually good and surprisingly has some depth to it despite being just 8 mins per ep.
Galko is well written but the direction is abysmal. Marshmellow is okay-ish but basically has one joke. Sekkou Boys is a bit better than Mashmellow but still isn't particularly great. Dagashi is very hit or miss, even if the hits are super solid. I think only consistently really good comedy anime right now is Osomatsu.

Haly

I think Galko is more consistent than Osomatsu-san overall because its jokes are tighter.

Osomatsu tends to drag because of the full 25 minutes format.

phaze

Yes to both.

Ugh. Urge to pick up rising.
Mushishi 4-7

I've been watching an episode every evening when I've got some time, and I'm consistently incredibly impressed. The first season so far seems to regularly surpass what I saw of Zoku Sho, which was already quite excellent.

One thing this season does differently from the second is that it feels like there's a stronger connecting thread between the episodes. It's very faint, but it's there, both in terms of events (Ginko selling items he found in episodes 1 and 3 at the start of episode 5) and locations (Ginko ends episode 5 in a fishing village, and begins the following episode on a boat to an island out in the sea). This sense of a continuous, if aimless, journey provides a slightly stronger pull to draw me into Ginko's character. Why does he do what he does?
I think S1's episodes 6-~15 were my favourite stretch of Mushishi so you should be in for a treat.

Not sure if I agree about the continuity, there's a certain recurring (as much as you can be in a show like this lul) character that while introduced in the first season, shows up in Himukage special and Zoku a few times.

Premise is pretty much Tokyo Ghoul, but the execution is pretty nuts when it's good. Plenty of Ajin fights have them utilizing killing themselves as an actual strategy, and some are amazing because of that.

Don't know about the anime beyond episode 1 though since it was too ugly for me compared to the manga.

Sounds good.

Next season is about Crimson Moon being over.

Also I decided to watch Dennou Coil. Partially because I heard it was really good, but mainly because LOOK AT THIS DOG!

densuke.jpg

YEAH!

Good decision. He has a whole ED to himself too !

K-On! Episode 1:

Hello darkness my old friend, I have come to talk with you again.

This will surely go well.

Soultaker 03-04
I've seen many takes on the Monster of the Week formula; Stand of the Week, Mushi of the week but this is, decidedly, the first time that I get to experience an Imouto of the Week show.

I guess Komugi got upped to a regular now.

Ajin 02-03

014460wpsmd.jpg

Stando powah !
For a moment there, I thought he would be needing to off himself everytime he needs to summon his personal mummy....

I think I'll be sticking with this for the time being. Hard to say where the story goes from here but it's well paced and I like that the protagonist is a bit of a psycho already and quickly adapts to the situation, instead of subjecting me to another dose of "killing is bad" tirades. The CG isn't even that bad if you close your eyes ... It also sports one of better EDs this season so that's a plus too.

Aki-at

The only animes I have watched were Dragonball, Pokemon, Cardcaptor Sakura and Evangelion, though I barely remember any of them.

I guess I like combat, but I'm open to pretty much everything. Gore and depressing stuff doesn't bother me too much.

Art style, anything but stuff like Doraemon. (nothing against it, I just don't like the way it looks).

I'd recommend two action oriented shows that are popular at the moment, One Punch Man which is a action comedy show about a guy who can beat anyone with one punch and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, about the Jostar family bloodline taking on supernatural monsters.

I think Galko is more consistent than Osomatsu-san overall because its jokes are tighter.

I'd agree with you, but the last Osomatsu episode was excellent. It's been hitting it out of the park more and more often.

Osomatsu is still Gintama lite but Osomatsu looks really, really good so it has one thing over it.

Haly

I'd agree with you, but the last Osomatsu episode was excellent. It's been hitting it out of the park more and more often.

Oh, yes, S2 is very strong so far but S1 was as inconsistent as hit-or-miss as Nichijou.

Just T

Gintama: 309

Pretty good episode, still got that somber feeling in the air but it was nice to see some comedy snuck in there too. Seeing Gin land that punch was so satisfying then the picture taking lol. Also nice to see Katsura again, he was missed in the last arc. Elizabeth too, funny scene with Z.

Osomatsu-san: 18

Alright, that was fucking amazing. Forget that first segment; the kart racing was probably the best I’ve seen from this show so far, from the funny introductions to the impressive animation throughout the race, it was seriously good. I was expecting Jyushimatsu to just stroll past the finish line at one point. Then those voiced desires near the end. Definitely going to be rewatching this one.

pbayne

Soultaker 03-04

I've seen many takes on the Monster of the Week formula; Stand of the Week, Mushi of the week but it this is, decidedly, the first time that I get to experience an Imouto of the Week show.

I guess Komugi got upped to a regular now.

Man every time you post about this show I get more and more confused as to how Konugi characters fit into it.

Qurupeke

Almost every episode that's just one skit is good. The problem is the episodes with more than one skit that are hit or miss, but they've gotten better.

Also, something I wanted to ask about Osomatsu-san. Was Iyami really the protagonist at Osomatsu-kun? How did the anime even manage to be popular with him? lol

Haly

lol no. It's a joke, zansu. He's just full of himself.

It's not, check some of the videos for the 1966 and 1988 series on Youtube. The 1988 show definitely focused on Iyami/Chibita.

As for why it happened, I'm not familiar enough with the original to say but I think the sextuplets weren't as differentiated as they were now, so the "endless six" jokes probably overstayed their welcome.

It's not, check some of the videos for the 1966 and 1988 series on Youtube. The 1988 show definitely focused on Iyami/Chibita.

As for why it happened, I'm not familiar enough with the original to say but I think the sextuplets weren't as differentiated as they were now, so the "endless six" jokes probably overstayed their welcome.

Really? I read a little bit of the original manga and it seemed to be sextuplets focused.

Haly

Really? I read a little bit of the original manga and it seemed to be sextuplets focused.

At the start, but apparently Iyami/Chibita's popularity overtook that of the sextuplets midway through the manga and it was reflected in the anime.

Phantom World 06

Kind of a clever setting but front-tails, the unsubtle sunset shot and the ending of the final fight made it a bit.... unbearable.

I'll be here all day folks, at least the cut with the transforming mushroom looked neat.

Qurupeke

At the start, but apparently Iyami/Chibita's popularity overtook that of the sextuplets midway through the manga and it was reflected in the anime.

The fact that Iyami carried the show is really beyond me.

Edit: I googled a bit and, holy shit, Osomatsu-san has tons of fanart.

Galko-chan is alright if you're into that kind of thing but I am not so I didn't find really any of it funny or cute or interesting. I watched 4 episodes and was like "Yeah, this isn't for me" and let it fall by the wayside. There's a lot of appeal to the sort of comedy it's going for for a lot of people but it personally does nothing for me. Which is weird cause the talk about boobs and pubes and stuff.

If you're looking for something like Dragonball and are willing to commit a LOT of time to a single show, One Piece is fantastic. The main thing to know is that it's over 700 episodes (though some are skipable filler, but most aren't)

Phantom World - 06

I liked the setting being 'wonderlandish'. I just wished they did a little more with it. Kinda expected to see more of the giant bear robot fight too, so I was a bit disappointed there.
Outside of above this episode didn't do much else for me. Unfortunately I can't bring myself to care for the characters. Ruru brings me some enjoyment though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom