• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Erased Episode 1

Pretty compelling concept but I hate everytime the screen does the whole negative colors thing, though I did like how it let us try to find out what is wrong.

Kind of predictable second half but otherwise good mysteryish series.

Sushi Police 1

fM3fozx.jpg

I'm down with this.

Erased - 1

Not half bad, though some of the stuff that happened was way too convenient and stretched my suspension of disbelief. The mother comes over and they just happen to
meet the (supposed) killer from 18 years ago while he's attempting to kidnap another child
? I don't buy it, unless it later turns out that it wasn't coincidence after all (which seems possible with the supernatural element going on).
I like the character designs and the cast seemed likable so far, though I guess we won't be seeing much of them after this ep. Will continue.

Recent hobby: Looking up the staff behind animes on animenewsnetwork

I salute you Kimitoshi Yamane. I went far too long without knowing who was behind all of that sublime mechanical art in all those Sunrise shows.

Qurupeke

Erased 1

Wow. That was intriguing.

I was expecting that Revival ability to be something that he finds out for the first time when he returns to the past but it seems to be something that appeared after that kidnapping incident. I just hope the show won't be mostly in the past but it will follow the main character's actions both as a kid and as an adult. I was also expecting the story being about how the Yuuki guy was the murderer and the kidnapper in that case, but they quickly changed it to something far more interesting.

Anyway, characters are surprisingly good on this. The main character is really awesome and I loved how cynic he was about everything. The mother was also great and I have to say that I like her design a lot. The schoolgirl is also lovely, I liked that she added a more happy tone to the show, but I'm afraid shit will happen to her. :(

Strong first episode, definitely looking forward to this. My only issue is that I find the art kind of bad sometimes, but it gives a Monster vibe so I'm fine with it. lol

Clov

First episode of Erased was pretty great! Good start to the series, can't wait to see where it goes from here.

Jaxec

Erased 1

A strong first episode. I really liked the characters, especially the MC and his mother. The revival ability is pretty cool too. Definitely gonna continue watching this.

Assassination Classroom Episode 23
CYI-hpjW8AA3FxM.png
CYI-hjoWsAAEP4P.png

Its back and it had such a great OP and a great ED, the songs were stellar too with the OP having a great amount of Isogai Maehara clones side by side as well as other students. Question will definitely be a song I keep playing all throughout the year. The ED too was great as well. Lerche really does pick good songs for this.

Maehara and his Isogai, Terasaka, Karma kun, Chiba and even Hayami all back and in action was excellent. Adding the Karasuma and Irini stuff too made this an episode to remember. Definitely one of the best starts yet for this season.

Phatmac

Pretty decent show that reminds me of Tiger and Bunny but with some bad cgi. It was fine but nothing special really. I'll give it the three episode rule.

Eridani

I didn't notice anything like that. Some of the background crowd art looked rough, as is not uncommon for anime, but otherwise the character art was good (I really like Sakurai's face) and the important moments, particularly the race, had good animation, with some nice distorted layouts to emphasize the sense of speed going on.

You're right, upon looking at it again the animation wasn't that bad. I was specifically referring to the basketball scene, where there is a really nice shot of Yagami dribbling, followed by two really static shots of him floating through the air (and I believe there are several other scenes with similar direction). It just seemed like a rather weird directing choice.

For an episode which was very efficient at getting the club going and getting right into Stride action, I thought it did just enough work to establish the main characters properly. Your comment is a bit unfair to Fujiwara; his habit of testing calf strength certainly stands out, but that's just an outgrowth of his main defining characteristic, which is his intensely focused and serious personality, driven to do exactly what he needs to do to accomplish his goals. He seems like a good foil for the playful and light-hearted Yagami. Speaking of Yagami, I like the subtle hint of his backstory dropped when the Stride Club members recognized his last name and the camera cut to a scratched-out locker nameplate - it wasn't emphasized, but it hints that he likely has an older brother who was previously in the Stride Club, and that made him reluctant to participate in this club. I assume that'll be more fully explored later in the show.

This was basically my main problem. The show really wanted to show some stride in the first episode, which made it hard to properly characterize the characters. Even then, I feel like that really isn't a great excuse, since Haikyuu! showed that you can have a first episode with action while still having good characterization. Maybe future episodes will change that, but at the moment it seems like the characters were more of an afterthought, which I did not particularly like.

But what attracts me to the show most of all is the very sharp music and sound direction throughout. Most film and especially most TV is not too precise about its use of music, so to see something that so closely matches its music timing to the events on screen is gratifying. Just as an example, as the racers approached the finish line, the music rose in pitch and the percussion intensified in rhythm until the moment when they hit the finish, where the percussion cut out and the strings reached a triumphant plateau and did a brief coda to emphasize the moment. That kind of attention to detail impresses me, and if the show keeps that up over its run, I'm sure to be happy with it.

I admit I wasn't really paying much attention to the music, so it's nice to hear that the show uses it well. All in all I can definitely see why people like the show, I just don't think it's for me.

Ascheroth

Iron Man robotic suits instead of Mechas.

I'm definitely more interested now. Plus isn't Orange doing the CGI because they're pretty great.

Yeah, it's Orange.

Active Raid - 01

This is my kind of jam. I liked this a loooooooot. The show is just full of energy (probably a bit too much at times), with a quirky cast and cool powersuits.
I especially liked how they displayed to what hoops they had to go through to get permission for most stuff. Like their operation was cancelled at first because an anime company wouldn't be able to finish the episode on time if that area had a blackout, because that anime company also handles the campaing of some politician lol.

And ya'll with the CG hate again. There were a couple times it stood out badly, but overall it was good.

Phatmac

I'm a fan of the premise and directing but it honestly went way too fast. I wish they spent more time with each character and building up his power instead of having a drastic event happen so early on. I'll keep watching since I'm interested in what's going to happen but it could've been done better.

I'm a fan of the premise and directing but it honestly went way too fast. I wish they spent more time with each character and building up his power instead of having a drastic event happen so early on. I'll keep watching since I'm interested in what's going to happen but it could've been done better.
BGztskr.gif

I'll be honest, I liked the way they handled it. Show is only 1-cour anyway right? It packed a punch and did what it needed to do in order to have you engaged.

Qurupeke

I read that this is basically the whole first volume, so this may explain why it felt rushed to you. Personally, the pace seemed good to me.

phaze

I take back every bad thing I said about it, clearly AOTY.

Did they failed to finish OP on time or is that abomination it's final form ? I don't think there is a second of OP exclusive animation in it

Mature

Erased - 1
Minami Takayama should be voicing little detective boys, not 50-something Mom's!
Given the twist at the end, her casting may have been inspired.

This episode was okay. There were flashes of a much better show here, and a lot of the art/animation was only middling, but the actual premise seems interesting enough. I wonder if they'll actually stick with their twist.

Active Raid 01

Comparison with Tiger and Bunny was on point, but it lacks the soul. Maybe it'll get better but it's pretty forgettable in episode 1, even if relatively fun. Will give 4 episode rule.

They did it in order to hook the audience in 1 episode and they succeded. And from what I hear from manga readers the beginning is slow due to it being an introductory.

Since the series is only going to have 12 episodes it was a smart decision. Plus it didn't affect the anime in any major way from what I can see.

Erased 01

Oh wow this totally took at least two different turns I wasn't expecting. I was convinced this show was going in an entirely different direction than it seems to be going. I'm hooked.

Wait, is Show by Rock back on for Spring?

I hope it's production doesn't interfere with Concrete Revolutio's production.
And before you get angry with me, ask yourself this. What does the anime industry need more of?

This?
28aoVDO.gif

You see, here it clearly shows that Show By Rock didn't need to be made.

Or awesome shit like this?
8o9vUCp.gif
concrete-3.png
concrete-revolutio-episode-5-review-bentobyte-1.jpg

FUCK YEAH!

Now, as everyone can clearly see, my argument is flawless. So I won't listen to any rebuttals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom