• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Erased - 01

It was pretty decent, will watch.
But I don't think it was "super great!" or anything like that. In fact that's the most telling thing here. People are so accustomed to anime-isms, in other words to tsunderes, fanservice, harems, grating characters, mechas and monsters that when a normal story with normal characters appear, a story with well known elements like like a murder to fix, a mystery to solve, a
time travel
story, the type you would have in your average film, it's automatically considered great.

Erased ep 1
Just when I thought nothing was worth watching this season, this comes in. Good characters, good voice acting, good production values and a seemingly interesting plot.

Definetely a nice start for 2016. Hope they can stay on the right path.

Erased - 01

But I don't think it was "super great!" or anything like that. In fact that's the most telling thing here. People are so accustomed to anime-isms, in other words to tsunderes, fanservice, harems, grating characters, mechas and monsters that when a normal story with normal characters appear, a story with well known elements like like a murder to fix, a mystery to solve, a
time travel
story, the type you would have in your average film, it's automatically considered great.

There are people here who don't really like it, and there are certainly "normal" stories that don't get a whole lot of play here (e.g., Shounen Hollywood), so I don't think that assessment is accurate.

Ojisan to Marshmallow 01

ScsbQGi.jpg

I wish interoffice relationships were actually this adorable.

Erased - 01

time travel

Nah it is a good show with a solid start, even by "normal" standards.

Ascheroth

Erased - 01

I liked this a lot, too.
Great atmosphere throughout the entire episode. The premise seems really interesting and I did not expect where it was going.
This is probably my favorite new show so far, let's see what else this season brings.

Edit: Pacing felt pretty spot on tbh.

Marshmallow 01

Pretty charming little show. Kinda interested to see how the other episodes will be. Just twelve episodes about Marshmallows and bullying? I'm down for that actually.

Qurupeke

Erased - 01

time travel

But the thing is, we don't really know if this is really good. The first episode was just good and they managed to give us both an interesting premise and nice characters. The season seems pretty lame and this is like a saving grace for it.

Wait, is Show by Rock back on for Spring?

I hope it's production doesn't interfere with Concrete Revolutio's production.
And before you get angry with me, ask yourself this. What does the anime industry need more of?

This?

Or awesome shit like this?

Now, as everyone can clearly see, my argument is flawless. So I won't listen to any rebuttals.

I think the anime industry needs more of this:

Exalted

This season is kinda less exciting that the last one for me. Of all the shows aired so far i only found Phantom World and Erased enough interesting to continue watching, and the best thing i have watched so far is a stupid Marsmallow show lol.

Phatmac

A comfy return from last season's action packed ending. We got some summer tests of courage with Bitch-sensei being great as always. Nothing much happened like in most of these episode but it was still funny to have our favorite teacher back. I miss the stupid dances from last season's OP though. :(

Erased 1

Very solid first episode, we have an introverted antisocial lead that is a solid depiction of one, instead of going immediately for one with social anxiety and a nervous wreck.

True Mama Detective meets the Girl who lept through time.

For me so far, even as a KyoAni my opinion is divided on Phantom World. Stride was pretty dope. Erased was very solid. I still have a few new shows that I wanna check out like Grimgar, Dimension W and Divine Gate. Two of those three are probably gonna be a pass. GATE S2 I'll watch. Shirayuki S2? Ehhh idk, I'll see.

I'd be ok with my season being:

- Stride
- Erased
- Gate S2
- Haikyuu!! S2
- Dimension W
- Gundam IBO

Again I wanna start cutting out the unnecessary weekly "fluff" aka generic crap.

A comfy return from last season's action packed ending. We got some summer tests of courage with Bitch-sensei being great as always. Nothing much happened like in most of these episode but it was still funny to have our favorite teacher back. I miss the stupid dances from last season's OP though. :(

I hope they do something like that for the 2nd OP this season. Jiriki Hongan Revolution was so fun.

Qurupeke

Ojisan to Marshmallow 1

I'll keep watching this until a toothbrush scene appears. Marshmallows are bad for the teeth and all that.

Prince of Stride Alternative

You're right, upon looking at it again the animation wasn't that bad. I was specifically referring to the basketball scene, where there is a really nice shot of Yagami dribbling, followed by two really static shots of him floating through the air (and I believe there are several other scenes with similar direction). It just seemed like a rather weird directing choice.

The basketball cuts aren't static (though certainly not on the level of Kazuto Nakazawa's cuts in Kuroko). There are other cases where there are static shots held, but it's not a sign of weird direction. The shots are chosen not only to save animation, but also to highlight key moments, such as the relay handoff and hitting the finish line, as a way of making them more dramatic. That's a technique with a long history in anime (think of Osamu Dezaki's threefold pans or postcards), and when done well like here it really works as an emotional punch.

This was basically my main problem. The show really wanted to show some stride in the first episode, which made it hard to properly characterize the characters. Even then, I feel like that really isn't a great excuse, since Haikyuu! showed that you can have a first episode with action while still having good characterization. Maybe future episodes will change that, but at the moment it seems like the characters were more of an afterthought, which I did not particularly like.

Prince of Stride Alternative's a fairly light show, so if you want rich character development I can understand why you wouldn't like this. But remember that the first episode of Haikyuu only had two characters it needed to develop, mostly Hinata and some Kageyama. All the other characters were thrown away after the time skip to high school. The series took a long time after that to slowly introduce other characters and flesh them out to varying degrees, and it's still working on doing so in the second season. So I don't think it's entirely fair to compare the first episodes of the two shows (written by the same guy, by the way!), since they've got different needs and goals.

I don't think it's fair to dismiss Prince of Stride's characterization after 20 minutes largely dedicated to setting up the premise and establishing the sport. Sport shows with larger ensemble casts usually take their time with these things.

That is true, no one has ever heard of Stride. They needed to show what it is all about. Meanwhile Haikyuu uses a well established sport. You may not know the rules, but you have at least seen it or played it once or twice in your life.

Erased 01

The episode didn't blow me away or anything, but it is a cool setup. I'm glad that it bucked the "MC gets seen at the murder scene with evidence he did it" thing as fast as it showed up.

Erased 01

The episode didn't blow me away or anything, but it is a cool setup. I'm glad that it bucked the "MC gets seen at the murder scene with evidence he did it" thing as fast as it showed up.

especially because it would have ended really fucking quickly

time of death: oh hey, she died way before he came over, and he has an alibi

scene was a bit unnecessary.

Phantom World 1

So wait, none of these phantoms are real and it's just the human brain fucking up where anything that's perceived as real is real, and thus it's just a dangerously high level of power of suggestion? Or were they always real and people are just now able to see them? If it's the former, that means stupid fairy girl is an imaginary friend that everyone can see.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Erased Episode 1:

SO this is basically Life IS Strange The Animetied Series only with the star of the show being a 29 year old male NEET who is very introverted. I will watch this if only because this is an anime that dared to say we are going to make a person who is pushing 30 our MC. People complain about the school setting but they do not complain enough about all of the bloody teenagers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom