• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

The problem with the future stuff is it's all filler. We know that none of the stuff happening is going to matter, because it's all going to change. There are no stakes. The only way they could have made the future parts better is by making the detective work actually interesting, which can be a really tricky thing to pull off. The way the future is set up makes it really difficult to create a cast we care about as well, and when you contrast to a cast in the past that create a pretty massive emotional attachment, that creates a bit of a whiplash effect.

Gintama has been hitting it out the park for months now. It will be pretty hard to top as my AOTY.

Shogun Assassination arc had the same problem for me that most of the post-Devas dramatic arcs have. It feels like such a straight manga adaptation that it has no room to build. The fights all feel insubstantial and short, even if they should work from an exciting plot perspective. I dug it, but didn't think it was worth the huge amount of hype it got building up with the early trailer tease and everything. Ending hit incredibly hard emotional for me, so at least there was that.

Goodbye Shinsengumi seems much stronger so far, but I expect the action to run into the same pitfalls.

Gintama has been hitting it out the park for months now. It will be pretty hard to top as my AOTY.
It's probably my overall favorite anime. There are manga I prefer to the Gintama manga, but those typically have poor adaptions (like one piece), as opposed to Gintama's stellar adaption

duckroll

It's not filler. How is it filler? Why does it matter that it's going to change? In fact, isn't that the point? You need context to show meaningful causality. If things he does in the past changes the future, we need to know the future to appreciate the changes. That's how time travel stories work!

Jarmel

Banned
The fugitive aspect simply isn't well written. There were plenty of ways for them to have made it compelling even if we knew the stakes didn't matter. Instead it comes off as hokey and underdeveloped.

It's not filler. How is it filler? Why does it matter that it's going to change? In fact, isn't that the point? You need context to show meaningful causality. If things he does in the past changes the future, we need to know the future to appreciate the changes. That's how time travel stories work!

This is true. It's not filler and time travel stories always do that.

My friend, did you FEEL ROCK EMOTION?

I would feel more rock emotion if there were higher stakes than just some mooks getting offed to show just how bad the bad guy is. I'm not a fan of when a series resorts to that - they want to present the bad guy as a credible threat, but they don't have the guts to kill off any of the people we're supposed to be rooting for, so they just have him kill a couple disposable underlings no one will miss. It's so empty.

Also, I'm disappointed that no one punched Quon for the ridiculous risk he took bringing Epsilon/Shun back to the Garden, which of course ended up backfiring. If this series wasn't built around plot armor, all those kids would be dead.

Finally, I am amused that the Custos leader ended up being Sylar. That anyone took him at his word when he suddenly turned around and said "I did this all for you!!!" is silly.

yami4ct

I feel like they gave us enough context for the future arc in the first episode. That set everything up and gave us the emotional punch we needed to get the tension of the next parts going. These past couple episodes need to do more than be context to be meaningful. We already have that. If you already lose the tension of the actions mattering because of the time-travel plot, you need to find another way to keep viewers interested.

I suppose 'filler' is a harsh word to apply, but the lack of tension in the future arc is a real problem.

Jarmel

Banned
If Erased is a thriller then I'm finding it failing in that genre. There was little in the past two episodes that provided any sort of tension. You never get the sense that Satoru is hunted nor that he is overtly worried about the cops.
In this episode the cops essentially come out of nowhere and arrest him.

yami4ct

But there were many hints of it being a thriller.

Also I didn't think thrillers would have such a huge negative connotation.

You could also say that the first 4 episodes were very thriller-esque in themselves. Part of what makes them work is the tension of this ticking clock over the characters' heads. You were invested in these small character moments, but it was always enhanced by the ever growing threat ahead of them.

Squishy3

I don't think it dragged at all. Monster of the Week format let them keep it fresh and creative the entire run. Plus the supporting cast is way better than the one in Battle Tendency.

And Joseph is in Part 3 so it still wins!
Plus it's necessary for the rapid iteration of the concept of Stands and how they work.

Russ T

Banned
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Erased - 06

I'm not sure why people are up in arms about the ending. That was pretty solid, and has me excited for next week's episode.

Episode was pretty damn good overall. Much, much better than last week. It'll be good to get back to the past in next week's episode.

Back on track, baby!

Cornbread78

KoboSuba 03
I'M DYING.

Welcome to the fun times.

ERASED should have just stayed in the past. The past setting was more interesting all around.

Also, Airi is 17.
Why are they starting to play up a romance between her Satoru? The little romance in the past was okay because I felt like Satoru was inevitably going to return to the future, and brush the experience off.

Where have you gotten any kind of romantic notion between the two? I'very seen it a couple times now; have I missed a standard I love you glare or touching/flirting moment? It is an awkward relationship to push, but romantic? Not sure there.

yami4ct

Plus it's necessary for the rapid iteration of the concept of Stands and how they work.

The problem is that the stands in Part 3 are really boring. I really wish Araki had just stuck to the one group of stand users. Going through all the Tarot Cards only to reach a 'oh wait, there's more!' was tedious and killed the pacing.

Oh yeah, the recap at the beginning of Towa no Quon 6 reminded me of one other criticism I have about Towa no Quon 5:
Quon has lived for 1000 years and yet never figured out that his brother was sealed up underneath the big tree? I find that hard to believe.

duckroll

Oh yeah, the recap at the beginning of Towa no Quon 6 reminded me of one other criticism I have about Towa no Quon 5:
Quon has lived for 1000 years and yet never figured out that his brother was sealed up underneath the big tree? I find that hard to believe.

Well Quon has lived for 1000 years and never figured out that he shouldn't trust strangers! :p

ibyea

Banned
Erased - 6
A better episode than last time, as there was some sense of tension even if not quiet at the level that I think it should be. And hey, the mystery aspect of it became more interesting actually. That there was nothing that was just plain stupid as last time is another plus. Although they really should let go of the chocolate story. And god, just stop with the red eyes. It's ridiculous now. The past two episodes have been suffering from an over abundance of cheap tricks.

Past story is better so I can't wait for when the time jump begins.

Look, the trailer for Mob Psycho 100 has me hyped too, that looked like some great stuff. But I feel you're trying REALLY hard to down play/throw shade on certain aspects of OPM, especially since you haven't watched much of it and of course none of us have seen any of the Mob Psycho 100 anime.

Especially when Mob Psycho and OPM have a ton of similarities. Just weird to see someone hype up one while hating on the other unless art style is all they care about, which is fair I guess.

Erased 6

Back on track. MUCH better than the last episode.

The mystery got more interesting. Time for another revival and use the clues found in the future to find the killer in the past.

The killer is a real piece of shit too. Taking pictures of his victims and shit.

Erased - 6
A better episode than last time, as there was some sense of tension even if not quiet at the level that I think it should be. And hey, the mystery aspect of it became more interesting actually. That there was nothing that was just plain stupid as last time is another plus. Although they really should let go of the chocolate story. And god, just stop with the red eyes. It's ridiculous now. Past story is better so I can't wait for when the time jump begins.

I understand that the chocolate story made Airi the person she is today, and I like that. But yeah there are like 100 million ways for Airi to learn that lesson besides that stupid story. I'm over it now though.

Episode 5 wasn't "bad" either. I think people just expected a different show from the first few episodes, which is understandable, but oh well.

Sucks for them. I've been in it for the thriller/mystery aspects from the beginning. Surprised people expected it to be so different when some of the first actions involved the protagonist rewinding time to stop a kid from getting run over and (manga only)
saving a few kids from falling down an elevator shaft
. Staying in the past and not progressing past the character-building stage would have been boring as hell.

Or did people really want a romance between a 10 year old and a 29 year old trapped in a 10 year old's body? Because I'm sure there's other stuff for that.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Erased - 06

I'm not sure why people are up in arms about the ending. That was pretty solid, and has me excited for next week's episode.

Episode was pretty damn good overall. Much, much better than last week. It'll be good to get back to the past in next week's episode.

Back on track, baby!

At this point you just have to accept the fact that AnimeGaf can be a bit overly negative.

I'm all for criticism but what I'm seeing is just something being ripped apart.

KonoSuba 05

I'm all caught up now. Do yourselves a favour and give this a shot.

When does this get funny? I stopped halfway on episode 2 due to boredom. The art and animation doesnt do it any favors either.

At this point you just have to accept the fact that AnimeGaf can be a bit overly negative.

Yeah. Gotta take it with a grain of salt, both overt praise and negativity. Though I do agree that the past is a lot more engaging than the present. The child characters are just more interesting to watch.

One of those things did not happen in the anime...

Oh shit, you're right. My knowledge of the anime and manga are blending.

That was one of the driving factors behind the monocle/mustache divide in the first place :D

When does this get funny? I stopped halfway on episode 2 due to boredom. The art and animation doesnt do it any favors either.

I don't know how you didn't find the first two episodes funny at all. Guess different folks different strokes? The humour in the show to me was on point. I was laughing out loud, not a lot of shows do that to me.

I don't know how you didn't find the first two episodes funny at all. Guess different folks different strokes? The humour in the show to me was on point. I was laughing out loud, not a lot of shows do that to me.

The only joke I found funny was the MC's wish on ep 1. The rest of the episode was pretty terrible. That animation is pretty shit tier as well so I'm even less motivated to keep going.

I'll give it 3 episodes since a lot of people here love it but I guess I'll save it as a show to watch when I'm caught up on everything else for the week.

Mailbox

I'm not negative, I'm positive! Like how I was positive that Noragami would get another season!

With that ending tease, it better!

Just like how i'm positive that spice and wolf will get a third season.

I've watched enough bad anime to know that a lot of what people call "bad" or "terrible" are usually just mediocre or only okay.

Speaking of bad anime, i'm thinking of actually watching dog and scissors...

it being the only anime on my "dropped" list on MAL has been filling me with guilt and eating away at me for a long while now...

I'm do for another terrible anime watch...

hmmm...

ibyea

Banned

It's the sting of disappointment. Better to have low expectations than for the first few episodes setting up high expectations and then realizing it's not being met.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom