• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Episodes 1-4

Holy crap, what have I been missing!? This stuff is great! And the fourth arc is being shown in April, right? That should give me some time to catch up.

Part 1 Phantom Blood of Jojo is pretty meh.

Part 2 Battle Tendency is fantastic and pretty much the best part animated.

Part 3 Stardust Crusaders is good aside from the boring monster of the week crap. It's pretty much one of the overrated parts due to its popularity.

Part 4 is on par with Battle Tendency. Some really fantastic sol moments.

duckroll

I dunno if this was posted before, but the official site for Kabaneri has a Keyword section with a collection of really nice concept art, image boards, and designs covering the pre-production process of the show and the various elements in the show.

http://kabaneri.com/keyword/index.html

The majority of the concept work is done by Yo Moriyama, who has worked with director Araki on many of his works, but I think most people would be more familiar with his work on Redline as a major conceptual designer for the backgrounds and overall look of the film along with Koike.

Yu Yu Hakusho - 85

This episode was great, with some nice distinctive visuals, from different outline strokes to inserted colors and odd environments.
I find the relationship between Sensui and Itsuki intruiging, with their way of life conflicting each other at first, but slowly melding togheter.
Itsuki should be an interesting one to see in battle, I hope he'll end up facing Kurama one way or another as they're very similar in behaviour.

There were some bizarre and cool stuff happening in regards to Itsuki's non combat abilities. At one point I was reminded of Eclipse and space graveyard environments, and some kind of twisted divine hindu design.
I had a hard time to force myself this as a stopping point for tonight with how the episode ends, and I'm looking forward to what is coming.

8rszCuT.jpg
PPmIwrf.jpg

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Episodes 1-4

Holy crap, what have I been missing!? This stuff is great! And the fourth arc is being shown in April, right? That should give me some time to catch up.

Ah yeh, gotta check out that series eventually. Dunno if it's the type of show I'd like at all but can't hurt giving it a try with how well regarded it is.

Wrong because Stardust Crusaders is better then Battle Tendency. You Joseph stans don't know when to quit

Stardust Crusaders was a real drag to watch especially just to reach to the good parts of the series. Battle Tendency never once had a moment that dragged, it was short and sweet. Plus Joseph>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jotaro anyday.

Also Stardust Crusaders lacked Opening 1 playing in the background for its ending.

Assassination Classroom S2 06
Nagisa (an older male) befriends a grade school lonely girl

I didn't know I was going to watch Erased twice today. Our poor assassin is going to jail

I actually loved the "Stand of the Week" format in Stardust Crusaders.

I loved how creative they were and how the guys got out of every ridiculous situation. It didn't feel like a drag, because they were constantly making progress on their journey to Egypt so the setting kept changing and adding even more new things.

It was every sense of the word an adventure, moreso than the other two parts.

Jaxec

I loved how creative they were and how the guys got out of every ridiculous situation. It didn't feel like a drag, because they were constantly making progress on their journey to Egypt so the setting kept changing and adding even more new things.

You're gonna love Diamond is Unbreakable.

Friend, let me tell you the good word about Diamond is Unbreakable.

Can't be said enough.

Basically Part 4 has a better everything.
Better protagonist.
Better villain.
Better minor villains.
Better supporting cast.
Better stand battles.
And a better Jotaro.

Moaradin

Stardust Crusaders was a real drag to watch especially just to reach to the good parts of the series. Battle Tendency never once had a moment that dragged, it was short and sweet. Plus Joseph>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jotaro anyday.

I don't think it dragged at all. Monster of the Week format let them keep it fresh and creative the entire run. Plus the supporting cast is way better than the one in Battle Tendency.

And Joseph is in Part 3 so it still wins!

yami4ct

Stardust Crusaders is boring, tired and kind of awful. It also has the worst JoJo lead (thankfully, Part 4 gives him actual personality). Part 3 even manages to make DIo boring. Polnareff is probably the only saving grace of Part 3.

The only value Part 3 has it that it creates stands (which Araki had zero idea about how to use effectively in that part) and creates a setup for Diamond is Unbreakable. One of the greatest action shonen arcs ever.

See the reason why I enjoyed the Monster of the week format immensely in Diamond is Unbreakable than Stardust is because the stands were far more creative and entertaining than the latter. Stardust, while it did have some creative Stands still didn't stop most of series from having lots of boring moments. The stand that made opponents into children was awful and could of been creatively used but naw, it made Jotaro small and still having the ability to destroy the enemy. Stardust also lacks the sol moments that makes Diamond is Unbreakable complete and a better product. Plus Josuke is on par with Joseph and completely stomps Jotaro in terms of character.

Also Jotaro was a boring brick that punched everything. Him being a side character is far suited and a reason why he's much better in other Parts.

I don't think it dragged at all. Monster of the Week format let them keep it fresh and creative the entire run. Plus the supporting cast is way better than the one in Battle Tendency.

And Joseph is in Part 3 so it still wins!

Honestly I preferred Caesar and Speedwagon than say Advol, Kakyoin, and the dog.

Although I did love Polnareff immensely.

Friend, let me tell you the good word about Diamond is Unbreakable.

You're gonna love Diamond is Unbreakable.

Can't be said enough.

Basically Part 4 has a better everything.
Better protagonist.
Better villain.
Better minor villains.
Better supporting cast.
Better stand battles.

I'm super hyped for this. I know next to nothing about Part 4 aside from some scenes from the manga I saw before, and I want to know no more than that going in. Stardust Crusaders unexpectedly became one of my favourite shows last year and I'm interested in seeing how Diamond is Unbreakable can top it.

Clov

This is some revisionist history shit because you just completely forgot the Oil Pillar existed.

The oil pillar was hilarious, like most of Battle Tendency. Out of the three parts I've seen in anime form, Battle Tendency is by far my favorite. Nothing ever dragged in it for me, especially compared to Stardust Crusaders (which still definitely had some great episodes). Really excited to see Part 4, though I hope it's better than Part 3.

The oil pillar was hilarious, like most of Battle Tendency. Out of the three parts I've seen in anime form, Battle Tendency is by far my favorite. Nothing ever dragged in it for me, especially compared to Stardust Crusaders (which still definitely had some great episodes). Really excited to see Part 4, though I hope it's better than Part 3.

Think of Part 3 like the groundwork for Part 4 with the formula nigh-perfected. Part 4 has so much more character and bravado, theres a reason why most people like it the best or second best.

Jarmel

Banned
Erased-6
The modern elements in this show are just shit. Some of this is due to the writing but some of it is due to the direction. Come the fuck on at not showing the list of previous suspects? This felt like I was watching a C-rate thriller. The red eye gimmick being this abused is irritating me beyond belief.
jfJZp4s.jpg

pLeDvFb.jpg
H19paCa.jpg

This literally happened in the span of a goddamn minute. lol wut
Also good god was that ending drawn out.

yami4ct

Think of Part 3 like the groundwork for Part 4 with the formula nigh-perfected. Part 4 has so much more character and bravado, theres a reason why most people like it the best or second best.

Part 7 also has a sizable fanbase. It's not my favorite, but Part 6 is excellent as well and I hope we can see that one on screen.

Part 3 and 5 are the only parts of JoJo I disliked and felt wasted my time.

Part 4 is far superior to that of Part 3.

For me Part 4 is on par with Part 2.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Rakugo is AOTS.

Konosuba is the dark horse #2.

duckroll

I have to imagine some of the writing flaws are due to the pacing of the anime as it might be exacerbating elements in the manga that weren't particularly strong to begin with.

The anime is just being more faithful to the true tone of the manga as it progresses.

Haly

It's just disappointing, and that disappointment colors all future impressions.

The Rolling Girls of 2016.

I'll watch the episode likely this Sunday as I have friends coming over tomorrow for the weekend so we can be single together at bars. Nothing like watching disappointing anime after a night of a disappointing sex life.

Also my AOTS looks like it might end up being Sekko Boys. Or heaven forbid, Grimgar
I have to imagine some of the writing flaws are due to the pacing of the anime as it might be exacerbating elements in the manga that weren't particularly strong to begin with.

SAO Director whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Episode 5 wasn't "bad" either. I think people just expected a different show from the first few episodes, which is understandable, but oh well.

I didn't think Ep. 5 was horrible, but the quality of the modern timeline has been extremely eh, so shame this new episode didn't (apparently) prove differently.

yami4ct

It's not even bad like some may be implying, but oh well.

When a show sets expectations really high, lower episodes tend to get really harsh treatment. I have hope when Erased eventually returns to the past, everything will return to the previous quality. The show has made it pretty clear that the answers to the true mystery lie in the past. That's why he has his powers in the first place.

ERASED should have just stayed in the past. The past setting was more interesting all around.

Also, Airi is 17.
Why are they starting to play up a romance between her Satoru? The little romance in the past was okay because I felt like Satoru was inevitably going to return to the future, and brush the experience off.

My aots is Gintama. And while this is usually true for any season where Gintama is airing, this one has been particularly great with the fantastic adaptations of the fantastic end game arcs

I care so, so little for the present day scenes and the story beats and execution there. I really really liked the past stuff with Satoru and Hinazuki and it seems to have shifted from a nice and somber character drama to a bad thriller book I would've never picked up.

Haly

Maybe he'll romance his mom next, who knows.

Seems like he goes by multiples of 7.

Russ T

Banned
Episode 5 wasn't "bad" either. I think people just expected a different show from the first few episodes, which is understandable, but oh well.

Yeah. I've mostly cooled on my reaction from last week. Although I didn't dislike the episode, I was still pretty down on it. Now, I'm thinking it's okay.

Honestly the biggest problem with episode five was just the lack of subtlety, and the far-inferior direction. The things that were actually happening were still basically the same level of melodrama, etc. A bit more bombastic, sure, but, I mean, not really out of character, to be honest. It was just unfortunately presented not as fantastically as previous episodes.

Moaradin

My aots is Gintama. And while this is usually true for any season where Gintama is airing, this one has been particularly great with the fantastic adaptations of the fantastic end game arcs

Gintama has been hitting it out the park for months now. It will be pretty hard to top as my AOTY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom