• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mailbox

At least we can agree that Rakugo and Haikyuu are still excellent.

Haikyuu reuses way too much animation to the point where I actually get scared when good animation appears.

Not kidding either. Great spinning animation? GREAT! oh... you wanna use that 4 more times in 10 minutes?.... hmmm.... well that got annoying...

The series is great, but jesus christ how no one complains about the reuse of animations here astounds me

Haikyuu reuses way too much animation to the point where I actually get scared when good animation appears.

Not kidding either. Great spinning animation? GREAT! oh... you wanna use that 4 more times in 10 minutes?.... hmmm.... well that got annoying...

The series is great, but jesus christ how no one complains about the reuse of animations here astounds me

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

The only joke I found funny was the MC's wish on ep 1. The rest of the episode was pretty terrible. That animation is pretty shit tier as well so I'm even less motivated to keep going.

I'll give it 3 episodes since a lot of people here love it but I guess I'll save it as a show to watch when I'm caught up on everything else for the week.

I don't think this is the type of show one would watch for the animation idk. Give it a shot, but like it was said on the previous page, the humour style remains the same throughout the 5 episodes.

But yes Haikyuu and Rakugo are still good. The former fell off for a week or so, felt a bit repetitive. Latest episode gave me goosebumps with how good it was though.

True Detective S1 is fantastic, try-hard dialogue aside. S2 is shit though, no argument there.

The perfect example of show that would have been better off just left alone. Season 1 was god-tier. Season 2 was a no-tier.

It's not my fault Mr Robot is amazing and as the years go by I give anime less and less of a pass in standards vs western tv.

I've never given anime a "pass" compared to Western productions. My interest in animation as an artform means that I am have paid particular attention to it, and the differences it has as compared to live-action, but I don't excuse low-quality writing or low-quality direction just because something is animated. Of course, I view film and TV holistically, as a combination of many elements, rather than separating its constituent parts out and judging them all individually.

Wait.... have I been the only one who has been noticing this?

Haikyuu reuses animation all the time. Don't even get me started on how many times i've seen rotoscoped animation put on different characters. Jesus.

No, seriously, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Mailbox

No, seriously, I have no idea what you're talking about.

it really doesnt

giphy.gif

wh-....

I'm not going insane am I?

Oh great, now I'm gonna have to go through every episode to see if i've gone nuts...

Edit: Its been the one thing I can't stand about the show while everything else has been great... i just... what...

giphy.gif

wh-....

I'm not going insane am I?

Oh great, now I'm gonna have to go through every episode to see if i've gone nuts...

I stayed quiet because I usually don't look at shows too in depth but I've never noticed it either. If anything I enjoy watching how fluid some of the body movements are at times. The quicks are always awesome.

duckroll

I think Mailbox is just having a hard time describing accurately what he's trying to say. Haikyu has a ton of bank animation, yes, but the bank animation is really nice to begin with, and specifically designed to be reusable in any situation when required. That's good project management. When you're making a show about a subject that has a lot of repetition in motion, it is actually fiscally irresponsible to not plan for good bank animation, especially given anime production schedules. I'll rather have nice looking generic actions repeated when they can be, rather than substandard attempts to recreate the same action that looks worse because they ran out of time.

I think it was only noticable when they did the new quick and seemed to use the same clip a few more times.
tumblr_nywy9dvNjk1qcdshuo4_250.gif

Mailbox

I think Mailbox is just having a hard time describing accurately what he's trying to say. Haikyu has a ton of bank animation, yes, but the bank animation is really nice to begin with, and specifically designed to be reusable in any situation when required. That's good project management. When you're making a show about a subject that has a lot of repetition in motion, it is actually fiscally irresponsible to not plan for good bank animation, especially given anime production schedules. I'll rather have nice looking generic actions repeated when they can be, rather than substandard attempts to recreate the same action that looks worse because they ran out of time.

I get that, i really do. I'm usually fine with bank animations, but..

But i swear I've seen them used rotoscoped versions of the bank animation with other characters imposed on them and having those animations used once or even maybe twice.

Either way, i'm just surprised no one has noticed it.

I think it was only noticable when they did the new quick and seemed to use the same clip a few more times.
tumblr_nywy9dvNjk1qcdshuo4_250.gif

YES! This was what i was talking about. Jesus christ. Thank you DTL.

Mailbox

Do you know what rotoscope means...

Pretty sure I do. Maybe I'm misusing it here... idk.

Let me put it another way. There as been a bunch of times where I see animation that is either a traceover of previously used animation or someone has talent to recreate movement from earlier animation amazingly to the T.

Kinda like how disney reused animation in some of its films back in the day.

Edit: seems like I was misusing the term. I thought rotoscoping referred to any animation that was done via tracing (hence I thought that included recycling animation). Sorry

duckroll

Let me put it another way. There as been a bunch of times where I see animation that is either a traceover of previously used animation or someone has talent to recreate movement from earlier animation amazingly to the T.

Kinda like how disney reused aninimation in some of its films back in the day.

That is not what rotoscope means.

Cornbread78

Cat Planet Cuties ep.11-END
Well, if nothing else, this is the first anime I've seen with a true harem ending; bravo Kio-san, you really are a pimp, lol. Besides that, there's nothing really remarkable here but some fun hijinks and some alien kitty fanservice that is perfect for otaku's. I'll give it a standard 7/10 because parts were fun/funny and it had a true harem ending. It just fails to go above and beyond the standard fare and some tonal whiplash was unneeded.

But there were many hints of it being a thriller.

Also I didn't think thrillers would have such a huge negative connotation.

Edit:I meant it having thriller elements.

Maybe this is a strictly me thing but "Thriller" to me in regards to strictly television, as in not Hitchcock films or Michael Jackson albums is the type of show where you will see ads like "IT'S THE NUMBER ONE SHOW ON TELEVISION" and "EVERYONE IS TALKING ABOUT IT" and at some point in my life holy shit I realized I was really fucking tired of thrillers. Maybe its riding Lost out to the end and seeing that everyone's fears that a lot of the mysteries being thrown in there were not mysteries that would have a comeuppance but mysteries thrown in there to keep people interested. I also realized at some point "Why is this show 20 episodes in doing cliffhangers and introducing new plotlines like I am not already invested?" So when Erased - a show I was previously pretty invested in - ends episodes on a shady character silently talking to the teacher or Satoru getting arrested and doing a cut to SHOCK the actual murderer it doesn't make me go "Oh man, I wonder what happens next time on my favorite series Boku dake ga Inai Machi®" it just makes me feel like the series is underselling itself, like it isn't confident in itself. I don't really need a hook at the end beyond the first maybe three episodes, nor do I need sprawling plot lines waiting to be resolved because I'll be watching it anyway because of my investment in it, not to mention that I find the entire murderer and mystery plot secondary to my primary enjoyment of Erased which is the relationship between Satoru and Hinazuki and on the side his mom and friends. That being sidelined for what I don't like is making me irate about this series more then anything.

This (for me) mostly applies to drama series or series more on the down low and NOT stuff like Symphogear or Code Geass before anyone tries to call me out. Those shows strengths are 100% for certain not the strengths of Erased. Symphogear and Code Geass are big dumb action shows with outright ridiculous plots so when Symphogear ends every episode on a stupid-ass cliffhanger it only makes me like it more because that is totally in character and a strength of Symphogear. I'm still invested but the new developments that keep popping up only serve to make the show more bombastic and ridiculous, which is definitely Symphogear's strength.

yami4ct

I'm not negative, I'm positive! Like how I was positive that Noragami would get another season!

Wait, it did?

Looking it up, how did I miss that? I adored Aragoto and can't wait to see where it goes. BONES has made something really cool with Noragami. Perfect mix of their style with a cool story.

duckroll

Wait, it did?

Looking it up, how did I miss that? I adored Aragoto and can't wait to see where it goes. BONES has made something really cool with Noragami. Perfect mix of their style with a cool story.

I was talking about Aragoto. It has special meaning for AquaWateria. :p

Crocodile

Wrong because Stardust Crusaders is better then Battle Tendency. You Joseph stans don't know when to quit

Can't quit when something is just so legit <3

I actually loved the "Stand of the Week" format in Stardust Crusaders.

I loved how creative they were and how the guys got out of every ridiculous situation. It didn't feel like a drag, because they were constantly making progress on their journey to Egypt so the setting kept changing and adding even more new things.

It was every sense of the word an adventure, moreso than the other two parts.

I don't think it dragged at all. Monster of the Week format let them keep it fresh and creative the entire run. Plus the supporting cast is way better than the one in Battle Tendency.

And Joseph is in Part 3 so it still wins!

I will say that I agree with these posts though. "Monster of the Week" is only a bad formula if the monsters or the heroes suck. Since neither was true in Part III, it worked great for the most part. Sure, not everything was a winner (why does the Set encounter exist at all?) but there was WAY more good stuff than bad stuff. I will say though that I wish the focus got spread a little more evenly, Part III kind of became the "Jotaro and Polanereff show" guest starring the other Stardust Crusaders. Also Part II Joseph > Part III Joseph.

I'm convinced that you all hate me.

tumblr_njs39agOm91tke5y6o1_400.gif

Kinda like how disney reused animation in some of its films back in the day.

Edit: seems like I was misusing the term. I thought rotoscoping referred to any animation that was done via tracing (hence I thought that included recycling animation). Sorry

Rotoscoping is filming live action footage and tracing it, as in Flowers of Evil or the Perfect Insider OP. There's many different ways of using rotoscoping, and it doesn't have anything to do with recycled animation.

Anyway, as duckroll points out, volleyball is a sport where similar motions are being done repeatedly, and if you demand that every time, say, someone serves it be shown at a different angle or with a different type of motion, that's really asking too much and making a poor use of resources. Haikyuu's matches are pretty well animated, as compared to, say, many of the games in Kuroko (barring the couple times where Kazuto Nakazawa comes on board), and it's continually coming up with interesting ways to visually mix things up as appropriate for the situation, such as the point-of-view shot that happened when Daichi got injured.

Maybe this is a strictly me thing but "Thriller" to me in regards to strictly television, as in not Hitchcock films or Michael Jackson albums is the type of show where you will see ads like "IT'S THE NUMBER ONE SHOW ON TELEVISION" and "EVERYONE IS TALKING ABOUT IT"

Not every thriller is Lost and 24. Something doesn't need to be manipulative like Lost in keeping the audience interested to be a thriller.

not to mention that I find the entire murderer and mystery plot secondary to my primary enjoyment of Erased which is the relationship between Satoru and Hinazuki and on the side his mom and friends. That being sidelined for what I don't like is making me irate about this series more then anything.

But the thriller aspects of the very first episode were sidelined for a minor prevention plot point. The fact murders happened didn't disappear, nor did Satoru's main motivation being saving his mom and clearing Yuuki's name.

I can't imagine how you can think it would remain low-key when the higher-scale central conflict was there since the beginning.

I've never considered episodic or monster of the week to be bad things. In fact for JoJo, a series which thrives off the creative nature of the abilities its ideal. I guess people just want a certain level of plot progression no matter what. Hell, Eva is technically monster of the week and its an amazing series.

And yes, there are series that use it poorly like Bleach but Bleach is shitty anyway.

Not every thriller is Lost and 24. Something doesn't need to be manipulative like Lost in keeping the audience interested to be a thriller.

But the thriller aspects of the very first episode were sidelined for a minor prevention plot point. The fact murders happened didn't disappear, nor did Satoru's main motivation being saving his mom and clearing Yuuki's name.

I can't imagine how you can think it would remain low-key when the higher-scale central conflict was there since the beginning.

I only really started liking the show on episode 2. I didn't expect there to be two whole episodes dedicated to the present smack dab in the middle. I thought it was more a frame for the rest of the narrative.

Mailbox

Rotoscoping is filming live action footage and tracing it, as in Flowers of Evil or the Perfect Insider OP. There's many different ways of using rotoscoping, and it doesn't have anything to do with recycled animation.

Anyway, as duckroll points out, volleyball is a sport where similar motions are being done repeatedly, and if you demand that every time, say, someone serves it be shown at a different angle or with a different type of motion, that's really asking too much and making a poor use of resources. Haikyuu's matches are pretty well animated, as compared to, say, many of the games in Kuroko (barring the couple times where Kazuto Nakazawa comes on board), and it's continually coming up with interesting ways to visually mix things up as appropriate for the situation, such as the point-of-view shot that happened when Daichi got injured.

Yeah, I guess.

It just seems to me that haikyuu does it too much and too noticeably. Ever since the shit they pulled with the spinning quick animation it seemed to get worse, at least for me.

Maybe it's a personal thing then.

Hmm....

I only really started liking the show on episode 2. I didn't expect there to be two whole episodes dedicated to the present smack dab in the middle. I thought it was more a frame for the rest of the narrative.

They go back and forth. It was never going to be just a frame when multiple crimes take place and it involves learning what does and doesn't work.

And just so you know, even the past stuff gets more thrilling. It's like Life Is Strange + Steins;Gate + Death Note.

yami4ct

They go back and forth. It was never going to be just a frame when multiple crimes take place and it involves learning what does and doesn't work.

And just so you know, even the past stuff gets more thrilling. It's like Life Is Strange + Steins;Gate + Death Note.

If you want to take all my (large) enthusiasm about Erased away, comparing it to Death Note is a damn good start.

Please don't get that bad.

Towa no Quon 6

I won't say it justified everything else, but there were a bunch of animation highlights once things got going, which was nice to see. All those Yutapon cubes.

Outside of the animation in the opening scene of the first episode and much of this last episode, Towa no Quon is neither notably good nor notably bad. It's a straight-shot middling superpower series with middling execution that never quite coalesces. Honestly, I'd rather have something like Un-Go, which may be a big mess, but at least it's an ambitious mess that doesn't settle for being averagely average.

Anyway, a couple people died, which was nice, but not nearly enough. Kill Quon, at least.

-Minsc-

Gintama - 309

I'll just echo what everyone else has said.

Other than that, tonight my brother pointed out that the hard-boiled detective is old man Joseph Joestar.

If you want to take all my (large) enthusiasm about Erased away, comparing it to Death Note is a damn good start.

Please don't get that bad.

I mean in the sense that there's stuff happening more of the time. Establishing the relationships between characters is done, so most of the dialogue pertains to the actual conflict of the story and any low-key events are glossed over. It never gets quite as high-scale as Death Note does, at least not consistently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom