• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KazenY2J

Hi guys, I have a week off school and I've been looking for someone new to binge. Probably a pretty chill drama or action series, and probably something that didn't just start so I'll at least have a few episodes to watch.

What I don't like: fanservice, moe bullshit, bad romance.
What I do like: good characters (preferably with development), good animation.

Shows I liked in recent seasons:
- One Punch Man
- Suisei no Gargantia
- Barakamon
- Bakemonogatari (first season only)
- Tatami Galaxy

Shows I liked in general:
- Planetes
- Welcome to the NHK
- Hikaru No Go
- Vinland Saga (manga)

Shows I hate:
- Bakemonogatari (after first season)
- Sword Art Online
- Your favourite series
Find it odd how you liked Bake but not the others due to their fanservice.

Watched up to episode 6 of Silver Spoon. It's nice and chill, though I don't see the point in making it a highschool since it seems so fancy.

But man, this really isn't a show to see if you're vegetarian or vegan! Makes me hungry at times. I like how one of the points is that they basically have no time off, ever.

I'm assuming the rest of the characters are gonna get stronger characterizations, I hope it's not just the baseball guy and the love interest. I'd also like it if they take the romance further and not just do a last-episode kiss scene or whatever, but as this is anime I highly doubt it.

Silver Spoon really shines when it gets to the second season, especially in terms of the character work.

Jex

I've just caught up Dimension W and it's not quite the show I was expecting based on all the screenshots of Mira in suggestive poses.

Anyway, I just wanted to bring how up some interesting visual and story similarities between Giant Robo episode 1 and Dimension W episode 1. I wouldn't go as far as to say that Dimension W is necessarily referencing Giant Robo because the story of Giant Robo is itself a pulpy work that references other works that came before it. Still, there are a striking number of similar elements.

Beware, there are some light spoilers for the first Giant Robo OVA and the first Dimension W episode below.

gr1copys4s0b.jpg
w1copy1usdh.jpg

Both stories explain that some years ago a brilliant scientist invented a new way to generate energyy. This invention radically changed the world.

In both stories, some important event happened between the invention of this new energy source and the present day. This important event has apparently left the scientist bitter/angry.

In both stories, while it is unclear what exactly the scientist has done, it's clear they have created something which destroys the technology which relies on this new energy source, whether it's the Shizuma drive from Giant Robo or the Coil in Dimension W.

In both cases, the result of this new energy source going awry is spectacular destruction.

Russ T

Banned
Find it odd how you liked Bake but not the others due to their fanservice.

Haha, I wanted to say something earlier. Found that amusing, myself.

To be fair, Nise is the absolute worst in the regard, so I could see being able to tolerate it in Bake and then fall off quickly with Nise.

Buranki 06

Quiet, reserved girl turned out to actually be an insane nutter the entire time which has made for one of the better episodes yet.

Clov

No news from Aniplex's panel at Katsucon! Someone asked a question about Mushishi Zoku-Shou on BD though. Their response? "No news right now!" Though they did add that they really liked the series, to "please watch it on Crunchyroll", and that when there's news "we'll be the first to know"!

:( You're killing me, Aniplex!

Also mentioned no news on DVD-only titles coming to BD, but something may happen if enough people bug them on Twitter and Facebook.

For you Samurai Flamenco fans... no news other than that you can watch it streaming!

My Landlord is in Puberty! 1-4

It's not as creepy as the name makes it sound, but it's still a little creepy. It's well produced - Akira Hamaguchi's solo episode 4 had crazy animation - but the comedy is too fast paced without taking advantage of the speed like Teekyuu does. It's a pretty nothing show, all things considered.

phaze

Glad to see another human being tacking part in the experience that is The Soultaker. It's quite something, huh?

That it is indeed.

I've just caught up Dimension W and it's not quite the show I was expecting based on all the screenshots of Mira in suggestive poses.

(Massive Giant Robo spoilers.)
I've said this before but it seems exceedingly likely that they'll be parroting the twist too. To an extent they're already doing that with the Dimension W going bonkers and killing off people but I'd be much surprised if there isn't some this time world ending flaw in the coil technology. Which is likely why Mira was tasked to go after numbers, just like the main villain in GB was doing the bidding of his father.

E:

Soultaker 12

I want off.

I want off Shinbo's wild ride.

The previous episode struck just the right balance between serious and silly but this ... this was a terminal dose of stupid ...

Jex

[Rakugo] - 6

This series is truly a pleasure to watch.

I am impressed by how consistent the direction has been so far, it really feels like one cohesive work that just happens to have been sliced up and delivered on a weekly schedule. It would be extremely easy with this kind of material to slip up and either overplay the emotion and end up with something more like melodrama or to underplay the emotion and end up with something that bores the audience.

Instead, Shouwa Genroku Rakugo walks the fine line between these two poles and it mostly achieves balance by suggesting more than it actually shows. Much like the performance of Rakugo, the series is very restrained in how it depicts our characters. The series is filled with things that are unsaid, just under the surface. Here a few classic examples of this delicacy that Turin brought up earlier:

The visual metaphor isn't exactly subtle here but neither does this shot linger. We, as the audience, understand this relationship is heating up just like the water in the glass - but we don't need to see anything more overt than this shot.

This 'shifted' crying scene works in much the same way - we don't see the character cry (because that would be too much) but instead we experience it in a slightly more diluted, but still palpable, fashion.

Haikyuu!! S2 19

Never noticed that on the OP Daichi has his face bruised up. Did they change this because of his current injury?

Anyway this week was just to see who will be facing Karasuno on the next episode. The good stuff is going to come next week.

pbayne

Haikyuu!! S2 19

Never noticed that on the OP Daichi has his face bruised up. Did they change this because of his current injury?

Anyway this week was just to see who will be facing Karasuno on the next episode. The good stuff is going to come next week.

Noticed that too. Pretty sure it was just added, its a cool little detail.

This season is 25 episodes right? So im guessing 3 for the next game and 4 for the final?(which is likely the top spiker dude's team)

Qurupeke

The Tatami Galaxy 9

I considered including it with my final thoughts, but I wouldn't do it any justice. Masterfully directed and all around great, up there with episode 6. That ending scene had beautiful animation and the music was a perfect fit. And the theme of the episode was pretty neat.
Ozu isn't as bad as he seemed! And his girlfriend is that rich girl, oh my god. lol

The Tatami Galaxy 10-11[END]

And the show didn't disappoint at all! Perfect ending to a perfect series. I'm really impressed that they delivered a meaningful ending and they managed to explain the series, conclude the plot and even explain the whole theme with the tatami. I couldn't be more satisfied with it. The final episodes had Monogatari levels of artstyle, blending real life with animation in the best possible way, while it had an amazing atmosphere.

The ending just had to be moths. lol I couldn't believe that they actually did something like that, I just couldn't wait for Akashi's reaction. It was really perfect. And as someone that hates moths too, my reaction was also pure fear. lol Also, I liked that the ending was good, in a way, for both the main character and Ozu. The Ozu rescue was incredible and extremely hilarious. And his character at the hospital was adorable!

Overall, that was one extremely good series. A 10/10 on my book and I think I can already count it as one of my favourite animes ever. Great setting, a very interesting cast that you grow more and more fond of it, a narrator/MC that couldn't be more unreliable making the mystery in the series good, a plot that actually made sense despite the nature of the show, simple but great artstyle that elevated the show even more and great animation and direction. I really don't think anything was bad in this show, I just can't think anything I didn't like. Bonus points to the show for having Akashi being from the engineering dept. :)

Line_HTX

Please Tell Me, Galko-chan 06

Man, Otako is the dirtiest of them all. It's those bookworm types, lol

I vote for the Lady look for Ojou.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Tatami Galaxy is indeed great and quite different. I was deterred at first but it's generally a fun ride.

I though the whole series is decent and then retroactively made great by its ending. Usually it's the opposite in most anime.

Sterok

Majikoi: Oh! Samurai Girls 10

Evil maid with a robot eye is the coolest. Takes down 4 stronger enemies with nothing but analysis and pure skill.

Dio

Banned
Majikoi: Oh! Samurai Girls 1

Picked this at random to watch. Well there's a million characters I can't get get a read on and I barely understand what's going on, but there's a lot of fighting, so I might as well see this through.

This is the big problem with some mishmash, low budget anime adaptations of popular visual novels. They need to cram everything in as much as they can and skip over character introduction and development.

If you like the 'taste' of that universe then check out the Majikoi VN, and maybe the VN sequels too if you want.

pbayne

Rakugo 6 & Nurse Witch Komugi-Chan 6

Despite being on opposite ends of the spectrum I can't choose which of these shows I like more. In terms of consistency and exceeding my expectations both shows knock it out of the park every week.

From a technical standpoint Rakugo is probably the best show this season with its attention to character details, facials, framing of shots are all excellent.

And Komugi is infectiously fun. I can't help but smile or laugh from start to finish.

John Blade

Hello Cornbread78

I know you're busy of watching anime but do try to go watch A Little Princess Sara. Heard good thing about this show and might want to jump in to watch it if anyone want to jump in with me.

You know, I was about to drop Konosuba because the 3 girls antics became repetitive and grating on me but damn if the encounter with the other 'tough' guy in episode 5 wasn't a fun subversion. The overly detailed hands animation for the 'steal' spell cracked me up real good, too.

TUSR

Banned
You know, I was about to drop Konosuba because the 3 girls antics became repetitive and grating on me but damn if the encounter with the other 'tough' guy in episode 5 wasn't a fun subversion. The overly detailed hands animation for the 'steal' spell cracked me up real good, too.

6k mmr hand animation

Line_HTX

GATE 18

Okay, Kuribayashi needs to beat the fuck out of that goddamn rabbit. That type of shit doesn't deserve death, but rather all the punches and beatdowns. DAMNIT!!

Sterok

Majikoi: Oh! Samurai Girls 12

Well that was a thing. Decent fights and a couple cool characters (mostly Saki). Lots of characters and concepts that frankly need at least 30+ episodes. But these visual novels can't justify that, so they just threw in as much as possible. It was enjoyable enough for an afternoon.

Well that was a thing. Decent fights and a couple cool characters (mostly Saki). Lots of characters and concepts that frankly need at least 30+ episodes. But these visual novels can't justify that, so they just threw in as much as possible. It was enjoyable enough for an afternoon.

That's one way to spend a Saturday.

This Boy Is A Professional Wizard 2
tumblr_o2i99vBxRJ1tjgclzo1_540.jpg

Very sweet episode. They held hands while going on a date to see jellyfish litrally the WHOLE time.

I cant wait for next episode since we get to see one of their homes. I wonder what they did.

kewlmyc

GATE 18

Okay, Kuribayashi needs to beat the fuck out of that goddamn rabbit. That type of shit doesn't deserve death, but rather all the punches and beatdowns. DAMNIT!!

Rabbit's had a hard life. I can understand why she wants to burn the empire to the ground.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I remember when like a quarter of animegaf was into that visual novel because the English fanlation happened shortly after the anime ared.

Articalys

How has the noitaminA block been doing for the past year or so? Kind of stopped paying attention to it around when Psycho-Pass 2 was airing.

Cardfight!! Vanguard G GIRS Crisis Episode 10 (engDub)

Daigo makes his seasonal appearance in vanguard. He had one of the best Generation Stride moments as well. His cardfight skills could be a bit better but its Daigo, no complaints.

Team Tri-3 having to go to the vanguard man outfits was great.
CbIcPzDWAAAZ5SH.png

How has the noitaminA block been doing for the past year or so? Kind of stopped paying attention to it around when Psycho-Pass 2 was airing.

It hasn't had much of note since then. Your Lie in April has some good points, but also some really clumsy weaknesses drawn from the original manga. Perfect Insider was interesting, but very cold and artificial. Erased was its best hope in a while, but that's on shaky ground now. The other TV shows in the noitamina slot aren't worth mentioning.

I have heard good things about the Anthem of the Heart film noitamina produced that's coming out on BD soon; that may be worth a look when it's out.

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju 1-4 again, and Rakugo 5-6

I just don't feel good about leaving this show abandoned. It should be something I want and like rather then something I just respect for existing in the first place. A historical drama set in the Showa period...adapted from a Josei manga...about a dying artform...and its animated. It's such a goddamn crazy combo that even if I didn't bother picking it up again, it wouldn't be out of spite or because I don't think its good I would still have nothing but respect for it.

So last time I tried this I could respect it but I just couldn't find any admiration or "understanding" of Rakugo itself. This time around I decided to lie down and just watch every episode in a row to ensure I was paying 100% attention and that it would never lose me and I came out of it enjoying the show and the intricacies far more than last time. The direction is strong. The voice acting is spectacular even for seiyuu standards. The characters (I love character dramas) are equally as great as the last two points. So...what made me not pick up on the show before?

I love theatre. I used to do theatre. A one man performance is not an out there act for me, even a one man performance in which one man portrays multiple characters. So it's not a lack of appreciate for theatre itself.

I think I've watched enough anime and Japanese movies to at least notice dialect or changes. The samurai "de gozaru" is the easiest, and even if I don't pick up on the intricacies of each dialect or accent, I can at least still detect it. So it's not that either.

The Showa setting is a non issue for me. In fact, its a draw. I love historicals.

The short introduction that dives right into a massive flashback doesn't bother me either. It just reminds me of Berserk in that sense.

So I think it was the actual stories of the Rakugo itself. As I said, the voice performances are spectacular and I have little trouble properly visualizing the scenes being described via the voice acting and strong direction, yet I suppose I don't find myself being actually drawn in to the stories. I don't much find them amusing or whatever other emotion they are supposed to elicit and I myself find them ending on abrupt timing. But, I am more then willing to just accept this as a simple issue of culture. Even compared to Hyouge Mono and Akagi (I still don't know how Mahjong works brehs) this has got to be the deepest dive into an extremely specific Japanese culture thing I've ever seen, and its hard for me to fully appreciate it. I don't consider myself an expert or anything like that but I've never really had any trouble being accepting of other cultures, as someone who loves food, history, language and literature that's never been an issue of contempt. But it is an issue for me to grasp on the really nitty-gritty, and I think for me Rakugo is one of those, the show and the art form. But I can look past that now. Even if I never fully get there with Rakugo, I at least know it exists and what it is now and wouldn't be against attending a performance in real life, so that's a good enough stop for me right now.

My one worry is that this won't cover the entire manga which ends this year, so hopefully it somehow does or has an OVA to do the rest.

Guess I'll give KonoSuba a chance next but I don't expect it to be anywhere as good as the recent Osomatsu episodes or any of Gintama.

Thoraxes

I've tried them both and stopped after the first two episodes or so, I cannot remember exactly the reasons but I remember being pretty resolute.

You're right about Gargantia having some "cute girls"/fanservice crap, but it's mostly in the middle of the show, and by that time I was invested in it and very intrigued by the storyline and the fish-out-of-water aspect.

I've tried some of the other recommendations, most of which I didn't like (Genshiken, Log Horizon, Moyashimon, Mushishi, and Steins;Gate which I did kinda like). I'm going to try "The Eccentric Family" and "Kyosogiga" as they seemed the most interesting.

Looking at synopsis I think I'll actually probably prefer something that's more realistic / slice-of-life than a fantasy.

Silver Spoon is pretty good.

Also wanna just mention Yamato 2199 because in general it's just a good series to watch.
For you Samurai Flamenco fans... no news other than that you can watch it streaming!
;_;

*snip*

qsUTh7k.png

Damn, what a speech! Really though, good on you. It's always good to go through some introspection as to why and how you consume and like all kinds of fiction.

I've yet to finish it but Shonen Hollywood seems to be similar for me. It's a well done show and I even like this rather realistic (I imagine) portrayal of idols and yet I can't find myself caring much for it. I think it's in large parts because I seriously don't care about all this idol business.

Future Card Buddyfight:100 [hundred] Episode 43

Another guest stars in a bushiroad anime this episode Okada the wrestler or something. He had a decent role and buddyfight. Nothing really special.

Magoroku Shido being able to avoid being turned to stone was what I cared most about.

Mailbox

If Her Flag Breaks 1- 13 (END)

I... I feel like I've been on an acid trip.

I guess I should start from the beginning.

This show starts off on a decently interesting gimmick that is really never used to the potential i could have
(At least in the beginning... jesus christ)
. While watching it, i couldn't help but be reminded of "A good librarian like a good Shepard". Both shows really have the same faults. They act a lot like harem shows with spouts of comedy, but try going in too deep into brooding serious territory.

Neither are good, but Shepard at least keeps itself simple enough and concise enough so that the viewer actually understands some of what is going on.

Flag just says "FUCK THAT!" and proceeds to give super subtle or one time plot statements that are vital or just not bother explaining it in full. And despite that, this show flips and flops between genres of drama, comedy, harem, and a few times action, that i just could not tell what this show wanted to be.

This show just kept adding weird stuff too. More and more characters to add to the harem (to an almost comedic level) and some of the characters are just way too fucking weird. Like that "granny" who looks like a little baby (wtf) or the random plot moving android whom I SWEAR i saw have a camel toe at one point!

This show has so many plot holes that trying to follow the plot most of the time will net you 7 more questions for every 1 you answer. (Seriously the stuff about the boat just comes out of fucking no where and is never fully explained)

It never made me angry, but... it was just so bizarre and unfocused that I couldn't look away.

And then the last 2 episodes happened.

Doctor_wait_what.gif

WTF happened!? WHAT THE FUCK?! I just...I can't. I...

The twist this show pull off is just so fucking out of left field, and then it goes all
Matrix
and the MC is fighting shit left and right, and we get a slight
"everyone but me has amnesia"
story, and then harem fights with him, and his teacher is there, WHY IS HIS TEACHER THERE!?, and then theres a DRAGON!?

WHAT!?

And then.... ohhh..... what is it the past, the present, or another
virtual world
? I can't...

This is... How?

I...

This has to be the holy grail of bad anime (or at least the holy grail of jumping the shark)

I'm beyond speechless at how fucking insane this became before the end.

large.gif

KonoSuba 01

So uhhhhh I dunno what I was supposed to get from this because it was decindingly bland and average on every level. This is a comedy right? Those things that are supposed to be funny?

Koyomimonogatari 06

Yeah I don't think I needed a reminder on why Karen is the least developed and least interesting Monogatari outside of ecchi scenes but thanks anyway. She really is a shitty Kanbaru. Also her breasts were never that big FUCKING RETCON

F4SUpZw.jpg
nQru2J4.jpg
gXWgPLU.jpg

This part was good tho

My one worry is that this won't cover the entire manga which ends this year, so hopefully it somehow does or has an OVA to do the rest..

I dont understand how this is always a worry with stuff especially when people arent even readers of the source. Is there no faith that an anime can stand on its own?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom