• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU #1-4
Picked this up after seeing it as one of AnimeGAF's recommended shows, and it's looking quite good so far. The pacing's fine, and the situations, the characters and their interactions with each other work well.

JulianImp

Was getting started with EP4 as I wrote my post. That JoJo pose and Conan door-open shout-outs were kind of weird, but I guess I liked them.

That bishie shota classmate making the MC fall for him is a gag I've been okay with so far, but that might get a bit annoying if it keeps happening multiple times per episode.

Sterok

Aikatsu 171

Rin and Madoka are competing to see who is the alpha in their relationship. Sorry Rin, but Madoka has this locked down. Did Juri fall off the face of the Earth? Weird that their leader was just missing this whole time. Need more Spanish girl. Rin and Madoka need to work on their disguises. I like having the new characters do their own renditions of old songs, like when Akari did Eternally Flickering Flame way back when. But Friend was better the first time. 2wings was a dumb name, but they knew how to put on a show. Wow, DreAca is next. Kaede and Shion really must be dead if they're showing up before those two.

Feels like they're just stalling till the Starlight Cup though. Last season felt like that too sometimes.

Strike Witches: The Movie

V1nbG7G.png
flagging this for unsatisfactory knowledge of the pants that witches do in fact wear.

duckroll

Bankrupt who? That shit sells crazy well!

When they only have to make 60 minutes a year, sure, it sells crazy well. Would it still sell as well if they had to increase production by 10x (where would the manpower at that quality even come from??) to make all of Origin in a timely manner?! Or are we thinking of a 15 year plan here?

blurr

DurararaX2 Ketsu 06

This was already established but Ryuugamine is a different beast, it is only now that we see him in action. I'm liking it.

Next episode has more Shizuo in action. Oh yea.

I haven't read any of the books on Durarara but I have a theory on how Saika relates to Celty. I can't figure out where it will go though:
I think Celty and her Horse's head were cut off completely using a Saika at some point in history, she is still alive because Saika isn't exactly a lethal weapon but since the head and body were separated, she isn't under control of it either.

I might be completely off the mark.

Dresden

the perfect insider - 4

I'm not all that interested in who killed who. What's interesting are the dots being connected between Moe and Shiki/Magata/Etc, whether it's the odd dream sequence, the parallels drawn somewhat obliquely by sensei or explicitly by Magata in the flashbacks, the obsession with father figures, etc.

My undoubtedly prescient guess is that Moe is a robot and a robot that looked just like her is going to kill everyone, and in confronting the robot Moe will see that she had just chased down a mirror. We'll see her eyes open wide in shock and suddenly it'll turn red. It'll be super thrilling.

Dresden

perfect insider - 5

so I was like 'hey this looks alright' and thought about how this and a few of the background stills that space out where Shiki is walking through was the first time in a while where I could think such thoughts about the show. I do like the show at this point, so it's something of a sore point that the direction and presentation is always so lacking.

most of the episode is spent extrapolating about the case, and due to the lack of evidence this extrapolation is directed inward and slips into reflection. It ends up being quite a revealing episode for Saikawa. We see how he ticks, I guess. He talks about a few things that makes him sound all cynical and shit but his actions contradict his words the more he involves himself with the case, and this contradiction maybe implies that his idolization of Magata stems not from her achievements as a programmer or whatever but rather in what she pulled to 'free' herself. Basically she did the things he cannot bring himself to do, conditioned as he is in having grown up a certain way in society, and with a mind whose contradictions cannot simply be parceled out into separate identities.

Theonik

Phone GPS? What year do you think it is? They're still using feature phones...

They're not in a big city either so local police will not be super well equipped.
I've had phone GPS well before 2006.

However...
The show already brought up GPS in episode 5.
If they had it in the US, I imagine they had it in Japan. In the US it was mostly in response to 9/11 and so the FCC made a big push for all carriers to have phones with GPS capabilities. So yea she was probably right.
You do know that GPS is not an omni-directional technology right? (a GPS receiver will not, and cannot transmit) Tracking cellphones is still possible thanks to cell towers needing to know what devices are in their range and triangulation.

Strike Witches: The Movie

V1nbG7G.png
But they are.

Utena 23

What?

Whaaaaat?

Whhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaattttt???????

What is going on?!?!?!
Deeper look deeper.

Jintor

I know perhaps questions like 'did that actually happen' are trite and rote for utena but man jeeze i dunno what's real anymore

blurr

Lupin III Castle of Cagliostro

This was an entertaining romp. Very good use of music through out the movie. Cool set of characters and not a dull moment.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Episode 19:

Right, after a somewhat shaky arc with some downright bad writing IBO seems to have found both its footing and its groove again as well as delivering some actual mecha action.

Jarmel

Banned
I've had phone GPS well before 2006.

However...

You do know that GPS is not an omni-directional technology right? (a GPS receiver will not, and cannot transmit) Tracking cellphones is still possible thanks to cell towers needing to know what devices are in their range and triangulation.

Well at the time it certainly wasn't as refined as now but you could triangulate people's positions within a particular range.

Jarmel

Banned
I keep saying they're saving the big PV for Animejapan and no one believes me... lol.

If they don't have footage roughly a week before it airs then the production would be beyond fucked.

It's not exactly reassuring that they haven't put anything out and they're less than two months from launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom