• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

If they don't have footage roughly a week before it airs then the production would be beyond fucked.

It's not exactly reassuring that they haven't put anything out and they're less than two months from launch.

Having footage to show doesn't mean production is on track. Not showing any footage doesn't mean there's none available. :)

Just T

Tabimachi Lateshow: 1-4

A short anime comprised of four shorts, all having different perspectives. The theme is "goodbyes and journeys" so there is a prevalent feeling of bitter sweetness as the characters reflect on their lives. The first episode was probably the simplest of the bunch. It showed the separation of a boy aspiring to be a chef and his mentor who is reminded of her beginnings in cooking that included a separation of its own.

The second episode focused on two girls and a friendship that could have been. I’m sure most people have moments where they regret something that was said or an action that wasn’t taken in regards to the people they encounter in life and this episode touched on a fragment of that aspect. There’s no telling how it would have actually turned out but the possibility was there and that was enough to get her to reflect on it years later. On a side note from that episode, spitting on someone’s face is some disrespectful shit; don’t care how mad she was.

The third episode had to be the best imo, a story about a festival where the deceased may interact with the living again. It was also the saddest one too, which you probably already expect but still the way it was carried out made it the most memorable of the bunch. Last episode focused on a retiring teacher, a job full of meetings and partings. It had a sweet ending though to close out the show.

Overall, this wasn’t amazing but I thought it was still pretty good, it had some touching moments. The animation or rather lack thereof since it’s mostly just a slideshow of colored storyboards didn’t bother me, the style of it all reminded me of some shorts I watched when I was a kid. So yeah this was worth checking out.

blurr

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Episode 19:

Right, after a somewhat shaky arc with some downright bad writing IBO seems to have found both its footing and its groove again as well as delivering some actual mecha action.

Can you explain what you mean by 'bad writing'? those terms always came off as vague for me

Having footage to show doesn't mean production is on track. Not showing any footage doesn't mean there's none available. :)

True, you can't entirely know how a production will go based on promotional materials. I remember From the New World had a lot of footage shown months ahead of the air date, and the show still had lots of production troubles. But not having animation in PVs is usually a bad sign. I don't want to believe it, because Umakoshi, but I'm starting to wonder if My Hero Academia will end up being the sacrificed show so the rest of Bones can live.

Haikyuu 19

The last scene with everyone moving out was so cool combined with that music.
Runback
of the century starting next week, I can't wait. Wonder how much episodes it'll take.

Grexeno

True, you can't entirely know how a production will go based on promotional materials. I remember From the New World had a lot of footage shown months ahead of the air date, and the show still had lots of production troubles. But not having animation in PVs is usually a bad sign. I don't want to believe it, because Umakoshi, but I'm starting to wonder if My Hero Academia will end up being the sacrificed show so the rest of Bones can live.
More than likely they're going on a Shonen Jump hype schedule based on trickling out info and saving most of the animation for a huge reveal at an event.

I can't imagine with Shonen Jump on the production committee that this will be the show that suffers.

Bubuki Buranki Episode 5 & 6

Still really good and good backstories for everyone. Even the one that seemed to have some sort of romance didnt come off as bad. Actually the three newest antagonists havent actually been bad either, Hoshino came off as intriguing, while the other two helpful to helping the kids get out of their depressed states.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Can you explain what you mean by 'bad writing'? those terms always came off as vague for me

Shit like the Gajallerhorn confusing Atra with Kudellia because they apparently lacked a picture of her. This is bad writing because it comes across as an artificial convenience at the expense of plausibility. I.E. it is within the realm of possibility that this confusion happens but it is predicated on the notion that the bad guys are so incompetent that even basic intelligence is beyond their grasp and thus serves as a double whammy of hurting the credibility of the adversary while also pulling the audience out of the narrative via an illogical contrivance. Ergo, this can be certified as some pretty rancid writing that hurt the narrative.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Even after watching the LL movie I have still no idea why LL is so big and popular.
The movie isn't really a good exemplar. It's fine, but the second season is just a better story.

Even then, I think it's because the songs - while awfully generic - have enough variance to them to separate the group from other idol groups. Or maybe that's Stockholm because I've listened to the songs hundreds of times by now.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Dimension W Episode 6:

I think part of my problem with this show is it is clearly setting up a lot of plotlines that will probably be occurring out of what is currently being slated.

Qurupeke

Dimension W 6

ElUhYT0.png
IUzGzRX.png

The abuse needs to stop.

Set up episode, nothing really important.

Jex

When they only have to make 60 minutes a year, sure, it sells crazy well. Would it still sell as well if they had to increase production by 10x (where would the manpower at that quality even come from??) to make all of Origin in a timely manner?! Or are we thinking of a 15 year plan here?
Well, Unicorn coming out incredibly slowly didn't seem to hurt sales!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've said before but Love Live is less an idol show and more a character drama about a club who happen to do idol related activities.

People like it because of the characters and their chemistry with each other. In terms of story most of the songs are completely nonsensical, very muscialesque in that they are part of their own universe separate from the actions of the real world. You only have to watch the first episode for an example of that and, since it was mentioned, the movie is an even greater example. Compare this to other idol shows where every performance is on a stage of some kind, yes, even AKB0048 with all it's crazy shenanigans follows this rule.

If anything the idol aspect results in some very silly aspects; like the cast discovering merchandise of themselves raising the question of where the photos for that merch came from, Maki and Umi managing to write a discography in one year that shames most professionals, why are there subunit singles when the show never mentions subunits once etc. (obviously the last one is because Love Live started as a fictional group which got the anime later, no need to inform me of that)

People compare it to The iDOLM@STER a lot but honestly you're better off comparing it to K-On.

blurr

Shit like the Gajallerhorn confusing Atra with Kudellia because they apparently lacked a picture of her. This is bad writing because it comes across as an artificial convenience at the expense of plausibility. I.E. it is within the realm of possibility that this confusion happens but it is predicated on the notion that the bad guys are so incompetent that even basic intelligence is beyond their grasp and thus serves as a double whammy of hurting the credibility of the adversary while also pulling the audience out of the narrative via an illogical contrivance. Ergo, this can be certified as some pretty rancid writing that hurt the narrative.

Uh huh, I-I know some of these words
/s

I see your point now. Although it hadn't bothered me as much, it is a noticeable blemish in retrospect.

Dimension W 6

Calling her trash and a piece of junk and bullying her is how Kyoma shows his love for her compared to the other robot he came across.

Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm isn't a good show but it is enjoyable, which is kinda confusing me. I think it's just so earnestly generic, like it's trying REALLY REALLY hard to be as generic a show as it can so you kinda just appreciate it for knowing what it wants.

I dunno, I got a soft spot for idiot characters and Misaki is pretty awesome. Also, they've largely ignored the male dude's "SUCH A TRAGIC PAST MADE ME NEVER FLY AGAIN" and nobody is particularly interested in his dick.

I guess it's just a 20 minute stretch of time I don't really regret watching cause I'm entertained during it.

Grimgar Episode 6

Just like in real RPGs/MMOs, being the team priest is to suffer.

Also the gang figured out that maybe they should give their tank a helmet.

I've said before but Love Live is less an idol show and more a character drama about a club who happen to do idol related activities.

People like it because of the characters and their chemistry with each other. In terms of story most of the songs are completely nonsensical, very muscialesque in that they are part of their own universe separate from the actions of the real world. You only have to watch the first episode for an example of that and, since it was mentioned, the movie is an even greater example. Compare this to other idol shows where every performance is on a stage of some kind, yes, even AKB0048 with all it's crazy shenanigans follows this rule.

If anything the idol aspect results in some very silly aspects; like the cast discovering merchandise of themselves raising the question of where the photos for that merch came from, Maki and Umi managing to write a discography in one year that shames most professionals, why are there subunit singles when the show never mentions subunits once etc. (obviously the last one is because Love Live started as a fictional group which got the anime later, no need to inform me of that)

People compare it to The iDOLM@STER a lot but honestly you're better off comparing it to K-On.

Like K-On but with music.

Sterok

Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans 19

Carta's interests are blatant, especially when you consider what her subordinates all look like. More good combat, but I'm interested in seeing more mech fights on the ground now. Ein got it bad, but without an explicit death he'll probably make it. Mika really is adaptable.

pbayne

Gundam IBO 19

Pretty sure
Ein
will make it. Looks like next episode focuses on Biscuit, cool.

I hope they never explicitly say what happened between Mikazuki and Orga in the past that made them so close. Like we get a shot of a guy dead, some money, Mika with the gun and thats it. Keep it at that and let the audience figure they're own interpretation.

Rainbow Days 6

Hasiba and Anna continue to be the cutest couple.

Dimension W 6

All set-up. It was nice seeing Loser again though.

Narag

Gundam Thunderbolt 2

Dialogue is so superfluous in this that I think a neat experiment would be to be able to watch it with anything spoken muted and to just leave the sound effects/music playing. Characters are all extremely emotive and it'd be interesting to see how people would interpret events and reactions.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
The Chimera ants arc really seemed to slow to a crawl between 115 and 129 or something but HOLY SHIT at episode 130 and 131, I don't know but this redeemed all of that.

Also I like Ikalgo a lot, hope he survive.

Grimgar 06

iv7ycoi.jpg

A party's second greatest fear next to the healer is dead.

Finally get the explanation of why Mary is the way she is and can't say I'm surprised. Based on the way she heals their group you can tell she's learned her lesson about overhealing. Funny to see a healer put themselves in harm's way to save the mage. But this group mage is shit away so no surprise she need saving.

Mary keeps me watching this.

Cornbread78

Grimgar ep.6
Well shit, Mary isn't as bad as she comes off as. I guess we needed this backstory to gain perspective, but what is it with being a priest in Grimgar. Talk about suffering...

Deadpool

Why watch anime when you can watch Deadpool.

This movie was fucking fantastic and I was initially coming in with low expectations. To think they would make a good movie with such a low budget compared to other cape movies. If Batman vs Superman turns to shit I won't even be mad because how enjoyable Deadpool was. With how this movie is breaking records as a Rated R movie I expect a sequel with a bigger budget and Cable along the ride.

Also that X-men joke slayed me.

Ascheroth

Dimension W - 06

Set up episode, but still good. Next week going to be some of Kyoumas backstory? Nice.

Grimgar - 06

Ranta continues to be the worst. Mary continues to be the best.

Deadpool

Why watch anime when you can watch Deadpool.

This movie was fucking fantastic and I was initially coming in with low expectations. To think they would make a good movie with such a low budget compared to other cape movies. If Batman vs Superman turns to shit I won't even be mad because how enjoyable Deadpool was. With how this movie is breaking records as a Rated R movie I expect a sequel with a bigger budget and Cable along the ride.

Also that X-men joke slayed me.

It was too mature, gorey, and comedic. Why cant we return to good written comic movies instead of directors trying to one up each other with who can put the most bad jokes into their movies? The expletives were so bad I need to wash my ears out with soap. I did not like it.

Moaradin

No way will they let such a popular franchise go to waste. I'm not too worried.

dan2026

From what I understand of anime production. They are often still making the show when it starts airing.
Which is already all kinds of messed up.

G Tekketsu 19

Carta is really dumb, she's like Chara Sune but less ridiculous

Koyomimonogatari 06

Ehhh didn't feel this one.

thats because karen sux

Gundam Thunderbolt 2

Dialogue is so superfluous in this that I think a neat experiment would be to be able to watch it with anything spoken muted and to just leave the sound effects/music playing. Characters are all extremely emotive and it'd be interesting to see how people would interpret events and reactions.

Thats pretty much what I think. The visuals and animation are strong enough to carry it with zero dialogue and the dialogue is so bad and unnatural that it totally takes me out of it so I wonder why the hell these guys are even talking.

Durarara!! X2 The Third Arc Episode 29 – Lost in the Dark

Is Varona really having feelings for Shizuo?!

I also just finally realized Walker is Yuuki Kaji. The laugh and giggling and excitement made me put the pieces together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom