• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brawly

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU 11

That burn from Hachiman was awesome. Still realls enjoying it although one or two episodes were a bit meh.

Fantastic Children 1-2

Three and a half years after the first time I watched these two episodes, finally back to this. Definitely going to push through to the end this time. The deliberate atmosphere being created here is really great; the scene with the Children in the library/underground in episode 2 is superbly done.

Aki-at

Dimension W - 6

By the time this episode was approaching the end I didn't realise it was about to end. The sentiment "Is that it?" ran through my head. Nothing of note happened.

Grimgar - 6

This show continues to be a bit of a surprise for me, it's very subtle but enjoyable to watch and everyone always compliments each other. I had a feeling Mary's backstory was going to be
tragic and the reason she doesn't heal everyones little bobo.
Overall I'm liking how Mary's character is being handled.

Assassination Classroom S2 - 6

If the class of 3E don't go on to take over the world and become the Illuminati then it'd be the biggest waste of Korosensei's teaching. A nice episode and the show continues it's level of consistency, Nagisa better watch out, I've seen a fair few animes and knows where this is ending.

Incidentally caught up with the manga and
I can see this ending only one way. THERE WILL BE TEARS. Already had me with him painting the album for all his students.

Bonus review - Deadpool

I enjoyed it, a very refreshing to have a deranged psychopath as the main character. It was crude and downright rude but it's nice to have something different from the superhero genre, I had honestly thought the best jokes might have been used up in the trailers but it wasn't even close.

Grimgar 6

Good backstory for Mary. Nice to see her starting to warm up to the group. It would be a great finale if the group went with Mary to slay the killer Kobold. Though the pace of this show is still pretty slow, I don't know if they can get that skilled without a sizable time skip by then. But they are starting to make improvements in fighting skill, and are finally seeing what roles each person should play.

pbayne

Patlabor; Early Days 3

Forget this show being semi-realistic, they fight the creature from the black lagoon. This episode is an amazing tribute to horror b-movies with mad scientists and bizarre creature. Love that Captain Goto just no sells any attempt to do something cool.

Episode 4

"This isn't a mecha anime whose main character is an autistic kid or some punk". That line made me laugh more than it should have.

This show has such a great sense of style. The way the colors and shadows are used gives it a really unique vibe. This episode was a cool little mystery that when the solution is revealed, I kicked myself for not noticing the clues.

So good so far. Completely different from my expectations but in a good way. The characters deserve a nod too especially Captain Goto and Ota" Wheres the fricken guns?"

Qurupeke

Is Eureka Seven bad, or not? I've seen some people here loving it and others hating it, so I'm not sure. I think I'll probably start watching this the next month and when I'm done with a couple of other shows.

Also, what about Usagi Drop? This one is short so it's not like it will be a loss of time in any case though.

pbayne

Is Eureka Seven bad, or not? I've seen some people here loving it and others hating it, so I'm not sure. I think I'll probably start watching this the next month and when I'm done with a couple of other shows.

Also, what about Usagi Drop? This one is short so it's not like it will be a loss of time in any case though.

Usagi is fantastic. Perfection slice-of-life.

Eureka...I think you need to watch it yourself. I don't like that much but I can understand why others do.(Though its a big time commitment)

E7 is really bad, characters make senseless decisions, the writing is all over the place, the main love interest is really annoying too. Save yourself the trouble and watch E7AO which fixes everything thats wrong with E7.

It's really well written and one of my all time favourite mecha shows. I think you'll definetly like it judging from what else I've seen you enjoy.

Brave Beats Episode 15 – The Dancing Prince Looks Just Like Me?!
tumblr_o2k3qfkE1E1qbxqfpo1_540.png
tumblr_o2k3qfkE1E1qbxqfpo3_540.png

The mom was really smart figuring out the changaroo instantly. Most other anime moms would have been fooled the whole time.

Maito got some development a bit but could have had a larger part.

Line_HTX

I loved Eureka Seven. I will acknowledge the problems it had though.

TrueBlue

RWBY Season 3 Finale

AOTY so far <3

Shit got REAL!

I think this is the season where RWBY finally found its legs. Everything from the voice acting, writing and animation was a step-up from the previous two volumes - which look comparatively quite rough now.

I would say that anyone who wants to get into the series should just binge watch the 3 volumes. Together they feel like a first "series" as it were - particularly when one considers the opening narration of the first episode and the ending of Volume 3. Nice little book end.

ibyea

Banned

I really like Eureka 7, but there are others who don't. Try out a few episodes and see if it's your thing.

Also, Usagi Drop is really good. Give it a try!

Eureka Seven is one of those shows you gotta watch for yourself. I love it, but I understand why some people don't.

Qurupeke

Okay, sounds like I'll give E7 a try. I don't expect it to be as enjoyable as Code Geass but I hope it will worth it for 50 episodes. Also, the feedback seems a lot more positive than I expected. Only DTL seems to hate it with a passion so far.

Line_HTX

Okay, sounds like I'll give E7 a try. I don't expect it to be as enjoyable as Code Geass but I hope it will worth it for 50 episodes. Also, the feedback seems a lot more positive than I expected. Only DTL seems to hate it with a passion so far.

There were a few episodes that I thought were really terrible, but they were in the middle. It was worth it getting to the final 10 episode stretch though. The OST kept me going.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
RWBY Season 3 Finale

AOTY so far <3

Shit got REAL!
I'm the aoty police and I can confirm this is not true. In fact, if someone made a top ten list of stuff that's already aired this year RWBY would still miss it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If you accept RWBY as an AOTY nomination we'd have to start accepting MMD videos as well and that'll just lead to chaos!

Crocodile

I think this is the season where RWBY finally found its legs. Everything from the voice acting, writing and animation was a step-up from the previous two volumes - which look comparatively quite rough now.

I would say that anyone who wants to get into the series should just binge watch the 3 volumes. Together they feel like a first "series" as it were - particularly when one considers the opening narration of the first episode and the ending of Volume 3. Nice little book end.

Yeah the show has definitely come into its own now. Season 1 & 2 are mostly build-up and Season 3 is like all payoff. I'd call it a legitimately good shonen anime now. If shonen anime isn't your jam you probably still won't care about the show but if you do like shonen stuff I think there is a lot of appeal here.

I'm the aoty police and I can confirm this is not true. In fact, if someone made a top ten list of stuff that's already aired this year RWBY would still miss it.

Officer plz ;_;

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
There were a few episodes that I thought were really terrible, but they were in the middle. It was worth it getting to the final 10 episode stretch though. The OST kept me going.
This is my opinion regarding E7.
But for me, the ending was nonsense, but at least it was a wild ride.

Deadpool
*Insert 90's references or meme joke here
Can't see Ryan's penis too well, so you guys might want to check IMAX ver. For maximum penis experience.
Some of the joke are a miss, but when it hit, it's funny.
Oh yeah, there's 127 hours spoiler.

overall i enjoy it. We need more r-rated superhero since it does give more freedom to the creator to make some fuck up settings.

TrueBlue

Yeah the show has definitely come into its own now. Season 1 & 2 are mostly build-up and Season 3 is like all payoff. I'd call it a legitimately good shonen anime now. If shonen anime isn't your jam you probably still won't care about the show but if you do like shonen stuff I think there is a lot of appeal here.

Anime or not, I think RWBY has a pretty high barrier of entry when it comes to new viewers. The show is tropey to a fault, and I think that can put quite a few people off - particularly when married with some of the rougher moments of the earlier episodes. I don't think there was anything horrible there, but I can totally get why someone would look at it and think: "Eh."

I think that's the thing about shows like this. The teething problems meant that RWBY didn't hit the ground running, and if you can't get into it to experience the pay-off, it's hard to really argue against that. Volume 3 obviously benefits from the experience that has been gained from the people behind the scenes.

I do really like it myself. Tropey as it is, I think the execution is quite imaginative and most of the time the show is fun. Characters are pretty likeable too - again, they aren't anything overly original - but I can dig them.

This is my opinion regarding E7.
But for me, the ending was nonsense, but at least it was a wild ride.

Deadpool
*Insert 90's references or meme joke here
Can't see Ryan's penis too well, so you guys might want to check IMAX ver. For maximum penis experience.
Some of the joke are a miss, but when it hit, it's funny.
Oh yeah, there's 127 hours spoiler.

overall i enjoy it. We need more r-rated superhero since it does give more freedom to the creator to make some fuck up settings.

Really? it was so clear though maybe since I was like in the third row closest to the IMAX screen.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I finished the chimera ants arc in HxH and it's pretty much my favourite arc so far.
I'll probably finish tomorrow and I think I'll start a FMA:B rewatch after this as my hunger for good shounen haven't been completely filled yet.

Ascheroth

I finished the chimera ants arc in HxH and it's pretty much my favourite arc so far.
I'll probably finish tomorrow and I think I'll start a FMA:B rewatch after this as my hunger for good shounen haven't been completely filled yet.

I don't know if you've watched it or not, but Gundam Build Fighters is great (not its second season Try). No Gundam knowledge required.

Crocodile

Anime or not, I think RWBY has a pretty high barrier of entry when it comes to new viewers. The show is tropey to a fault, and I think that can put quite a few people off - particularly when married with some of the rougher moments of the earlier episodes. I don't think there was anything horrible there, but I can totally get why someone would look at it and think: "Eh."

I think that's the thing about shows like this. The teething problems meant that RWBY didn't hit the ground running, and if you can't get into it to experience the pay-off, it's hard to really argue against that. Volume 3 obviously benefits from the experience that has been gained from the people behind the scenes.

I do really like it myself. Tropey as it is, I think the execution is quite imaginative and most of the time the show is fun. Characters are pretty likeable too - again, they aren't anything overly original - but I can dig them.

I don't disagree that it's tropey or that it didn't hit the ground running so to speak and has had growing pains, but compared to other shonen anime (or even a lot of teenager/young adult fiction), I don't think that's a particularly relevant critique relative to other shows (its a fine critique in a vacuum) because I think that describes a lot of said other shows as well. The show would likely be strengthened if the previous attributes weren't true but even fan favorites like say One Piece didn't knock it out of the park from the first chapters/episodes.

I think the biggest barrier to entry is the fact that its 3D animated. That's a major turn off to a lot of anime fans who've been kind of trained to dislike 3D CG TV animation. Japan basically sucks at it with a few exceptions and most of the 3D CG animated shows from the West (America, Canada, France, etc.) aren't much to write home about thematically and/or don't appeal to the sensibilities of most Western anime fans. Even within the context of 3D animation as a whole, while the show has been improving and the choreography for many of the fights has been strong, we still aren't talking about Pixar/Dreamworks tier talent here. I would also be lying if I said I wouldn't have preferred if the show was 2D animated by a really talented studio (East or West) that could put forth a strong production. But it is what it is and the show is the brainchild of a 3D animator so its not like there was every any other option :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom